Lake Wentworth is located in Carroll County in eastern New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Wolfeboro. At 3,097 acres (12.53 km2), it is the seventh-largest lake located entirely in New Hampshire. Water from Lake Wentworth flows through the short Smith River into Crescent Lake and then over the dam into Lake Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro. The 50-acre Wentworth State Park offers public access to the lake.
Lake Wentworth from west end near Fernalds Basin, Wolfeboro, NH
|Location||Carroll County, New Hampshire|
|Primary inflows||9 named brooks|
|Primary outflows||Smith River to Crescent Lake|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Max. length||3.9 mi (6.3 km)|
|Max. width||2.2 mi (3.5 km)|
|Surface area||3,097 acres (12.53 km2)|
|Average depth||25 feet (7.6 m)|
|Max. depth||80 feet (24 m) at Fullers Deep|
|Shore length1||20 miles (32 km)|
|Surface elevation||534 ft (163 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
There are at least 18 named islands in the lake: Stamp Act Island (the largest at 106 acres (43 ha)), Bass Island, Cate Island, Mink Island, Goose Island, East and West Jockey Cap Islands, Triggs Island, Turtle Island, Fanny Island, Brummet Island, and a group known as the Seven Sisters Islands: Sister Island, Poplar Island, Loon Island, Flo Island, Wal Island, Min Island, and Joe Island. There are numerous additional ledges, rocks, and islets in the lake.
The seventh largest of the islands, its name comes from the most dominant fish in the lake. Its original name was Goss Island, named after its original owner, Walter Goss. There is now one house on the island. The island is connected to Stamp Act Island through an underwater reef.
One of the smallest islands ever to be inhabited, but now the island does not have any house on it. The island was originally inhabited by Henry D. Brewster, and was originally called Townsend's Islands, named after the shore to which it is the closest.
Named after the Cate family, who owned a piece of Stamp Act Island. The island has been called in the past Thaddeus Island and Murray's Island. The earliest owners of the island were C.A. Senter, I.P. Whitehouse, and J.E. Murray; one of them built the camp that burned down in a fire in 1929. The fire was apparently caused by a bolt of lightning which could be clearly seen from Turtle Island at the time.
Two uninhabited islands close to the shore. Fanny Island is off Kimball Shore, and Goose Island is off Hodge Shore.
Mink Island is named after the mink, an animal which has been spotted repeatedly on the island. Almost 100 years ago its name was Wentworth Island. The Jockey Cap islands are named after the headgear of horse-racing. The Spear family built a cabin on East Jockey Cap over 100 years ago, and around that same time there was also a cabin on West Jockey Cap.
The Seven Sister Islands are Sister, Poplar, Loon, Flo, Min, Joe, and Wal. Poplar Island belonged to C.B. Edgerly and J.M. Cate until 1881. It was then sold to Rev. F.H. Spear in 1910, who put up the first building (a boathouse), which is now a part of camp 2. Sister Island was originally owned by Daniel "Old Dan" Kimball, who had a little cabin in the middle of the island where he stayed overnight at certain times. Sister Island used to be called Wakefield Island after John F. Wakefield (a later owner). Wakefield set up the system of buoys with a guide, John A. Jackson. Loon Island used to have Estes Hotel which was run by John Estes. The Estes Hotel was known for its crazy parties. On Wal and Flo islands loons now nest.
Stamp Act is the largest of all the islands. It was originally owned by Mrs. H.G. Davenport and Mrs. Maude Cate. It is now a nature preserve owned by The Nature Conservancy. The island was sold in the 1970s, and at one time there was fear of the island being sold to a private contractor who could have built 70 lots on the island. Nobody knows how the island's name came to be, though it refers to the eighteenth century acts of the British Parliament which sparked the American Revolution. Some rumors are that one of its original owners was a distributor of stamps, another rumor was that Governor John Wentworth played a major part in the repeal of the Stamp Act, and finally some people have said that Stamp Act documents or stamps were hidden there. There used to be a house on the northern tip of the island, but it was torn down when the island was sold. A story has been passed around that many years ago a man and his partner made a deal with Mrs. Davenport that they cut down 50 trees. They cut down 49 trees, and the fiftieth tree toppled and killed them both. The fiftieth tree was not on Mrs. Davenport's property; it was on Maude Cates' property.
The second largest island in the lake, close to the Triggs Shore. Triggs takes its name from the family that long owned island. It used to be called Minister's Island because it used to be home to many clergymen. The island was sold to Thomas W. Clow in 1904, who sold the island to three Methodist ministers. They built five cottages, but sold the house on the conditions that the new owners not drink alcoholic beverages on the island, and that if anyone would like to sell their property they would have to allow any other resident of Triggs to buy the house first. Triggs is one of two islands with electricity, from an underwater tube with multiple wires running through it.
The sixth largest island in the lake, it is less than 100 yards away from the shore. Lady Wentworth used to picnic with her family and friends. They used to get to the island through a natural causeway which some speculate was made by the Wentworth family at their time. The island is the only other island with electricity, and it gets that with a wire going over the water to the island.
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County is a governmental commission in Cook County, Illinois, that owns and manages the Cook County Forest Preserves. The preserves are a network of open spaces, containing forest, prairie, wetland, streams, and lakes, that are mostly set aside as natural areas. Cook County contains Chicago, and is the center of the most densely populated urban metropolitan area in the Midwest. The Forest Preserves encompass approximately 68,000 acres (275 km²) of open space within the urban surroundings of Chicago. It contains facilities for recreation, as well as a zoo and a botanic garden.Lake Winnipesaukee
Lake Winnipesaukee () is the largest lake in the U.S. state of New Hampshire, located in the Lakes Region. It is approximately 21 miles (34 km) long (northwest-southeast) and from 1 to 9 miles (1.6 to 14.5 km) wide (northeast-southwest), covering 69 square miles (179 km2)—71 square miles (184 km2) when Paugus Bay is included—with a maximum depth of 180 feet (55 m). The center area of the lake is called The Broads.The lake contains at least 264 islands, half of which are less than a quarter-acre in size, and is indented by several peninsulas, yielding a total shoreline of approximately 288 miles (463 km). The driving distance around the lake is 63 miles (101 km). It is 504 feet (154 m) above sea level. Winnipesaukee is the third-largest lake in New England after Lake Champlain and Moosehead Lake.
Outflow is regulated by the Lakeport Dam in Lakeport, New Hampshire, on the Winnipesaukee River.List of New Hampshire historical markers (226–250)
This page is one of a series of pages that list New Hampshire historical markers. The text of each marker is provided within its entry.List of dams and reservoirs in Australia
Dams and reservoirs in Australia is a link page for any dam or reservoir in Australia.Nova Scotia Highway 104
Highway 104 in Nova Scotia, Canada, runs from Fort Lawrence at the New Brunswick border near Amherst to River Tillard near St. Peter's. Except for the portion on Cape Breton Island between Port Hawkesbury and St. Peter's, it is part of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Highway 104 mostly supplants the former route of Trunk 4. In 1970, all sections of Trunk 4 west of New Glasgow were renumbered, although the number was added back in the Mount Thom and Wentworth Valley areas in the 1990s when new alignments of Highway 104 opened to traffic.
The provincial government named the highway the Miners Memorial Highway on 8 September 2008 one month before the 50th anniversary of the Springhill Mining Disaster of 23 October 1958.Wentworth County
Wentworth County is one of the 141 Cadastral divisions of New South Wales. The Murray River is the boundary to the south, and the Anabranch of the Darling River is the western boundary. It includes the area where the Darling River joins the Murray River.
Wentworth County was named in honour of the explorer and statesman William Charles Wentworth.Wentworth State Park
Wentworth State Park is a 50-acre (0.20 km2) state park in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, on the shore of Lake Wentworth.Activities include swimming, picnicking, non-motorized boating and fishing. Amenities include picnic tables, grills, flush toilets and a group use area.Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Wolfeboro is a town in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,269 at the 2010 census. A resort area situated beside Lake Winnipesaukee, Wolfeboro includes the village of Wolfeboro Falls.Wolfeboro (CDP), New Hampshire
Wolfeboro is a census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Wolfeboro in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States. It consists of the main village of Wolfeboro within the town, as well as the smaller village of Wolfeboro Falls. The population of the CDP was 2,838 at the 2010 census, out of 6,269 people in the entire town of Wolfeboro.Wolfeboro Falls, New Hampshire
Wolfeboro Falls is an unincorporated community in the town of Wolfeboro in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States. It is located 0.5 miles (0.8 km) north of the center of Wolfeboro, on the strip of land separating Front Bay (connecting to Lake Winnipesaukee) from Crescent Lake (connecting to Lake Wentworth). The stream connecting the two lakes, known as the "Smith River", drops 28 feet (8.5 m) over its 0.3-mile (0.5 km) course.
New Hampshire Route 28 passes through the village, leading to Ossipee to the north and Alton to the south. New Hampshire Route 109A leaves Route 28 at the center of the village, heading northwest towards Center Tuftonboro and Melvin Village.
Wolfeboro Falls has a ZIP code of 03896, different from the rest of the town of Wolfeboro.Wolfeboro Railroad
The Wolfeboro Railroad or Wolfeborough Railroad (later the Wolfeboro Branch of the Boston and Maine Railroad) is a former short line that provided service to the summer resort town of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire (formerly spelled "Wolfeborough") on Lake Winnipesaukee. Wolfeborough Railroad Company was founded on July 1, 1868, and it built a 12-mile-long (19 km) standard gauge short line from the Portsmouth, Great Falls and Conway Railroad's tracks in Sanbornville, New Hampshire (formerly known as Wolfeborough Junction) to Wolfeboro.
Construction on the line began in November 1871, and the line was open for traffic on August 19, 1872. On January 6, 1872, the Eastern Railroad leased the Wolfeboro Railroad for a period of 68 years. In 1884, the Boston & Maine took over operations on the Eastern, including the Wolfeboro Railroad.
The tracks in Wolfeboro were extended across Main Street to a dock on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee for easy connections to lake steamboats, with a waiting room on the first floor of a factory. On Christmas Eve, 1899, the building burned down, and in 1900, the B&M built a new Lake Station.On June 30, 1892, the Wolfeboro Railroad was acquired by the Boston & Maine as part of its purchase of the Eastern Railroad, and it continued operating the line as the Wolfeboro Branch. Also in 1892, the first post office for Wolfeboro Falls opened in the B&M station there. By 1903, the B&M had headquartered its Eastern Division in Sanbornville, running a large maintenance facility there. On April 8, 1911, the Sanbornville shops were destroyed in a fire. The B&M did not rebuild the facilities, sending trains instead to Dover for repairs.In 1927, the B&M began using railcars on the line. In 1935, the lakefront station was closed, and on May 16, 1936, the B&M stopped running trains for passengers only, although it continued running mixed passenger and freight trains until about 1950. By the 1960s, only freight trains were running on the track.Once freight service became unprofitable, the B&M decided to close the line. However, throughout the 1970s and 1980s, several companies maintained the line as a heritage railway. On December 19, 1972, a new company called the Wolfeboro Rail Road Company (WRR) was founded and took over the line, running both freight trains and a tourist steam train and reopening the lakeshore station. On January 28, 1976, the WRR also began operation on a section of railroad owned by the State of NH, under an operating contract, on the opposite side of the lake, between Concord and Lincoln. However, in November 1977, facing financial trouble, the WRR's contract was awarded to the New England Southern Railroad, and heritage service stopped after the 1978 summer season.In 1979, the Wolfeboro Steam Railroad Corporation bought the Wolfeboro line, running tourist trains from 1980 until 1985.
In 1985, the line was purchased by the State of New Hampshire, which uses the right-of-way as the Wolfeboro Recreational Rail Trail, also known as the Cotton Valley Rail Trail. The rails are intact, and they are actively used by rail clubs. The rail corridor is maintained by members of the Cotton Valley Rail Trail Club. In 1987, Wolfeboro Station was struck by lightning and caught fire, and it was repaired by the town.