Lake Temple, Kumbla
|• Total||40.18 km2 (15.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||180/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, Tulu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kasaragod|
The original name Kanipura is derived from the name of Maharshi Kanva. Hence the name Kanvapura later on morphed in to Kanipura by word of mouth. The historic and ancient temple of Gopalakrishna in Kumble was believed to have been conceived by Kanva Maharshi. Kumbla was once the seat of the Kumbla Kings l, who ruled the southern part of Tuluva Kingdom. It was a small port in ancient times. In the 16th century A.D. (1514), Duarte Barbosa, the Portuguese traveller, visited Kumble and he had recorded that he had found people exporting rice to the Maldives in exchange of coir When Tippu Sultan captured Mangaluru, the Kumble Raja fled to Thalassery; but he returned in 1799 and after an unsuccessful fight for independence, submitted to the British Empire and accepted a small pension of Rs. 11,788 per annum in 1804. Parthisubba, the great Yakshagana exponent, known as Father of Yakshagana was born here in the 18th century.
Anil Kumble, former captain and the former coach of Indian national cricket team takes his last name, indicating ancestry or family origins, from this town. Recently one of the main roads to Government Hospital was renamed as Anil Kumble Road in a function conducted by Kumble Panchayat.