Knights of Columbus Stadium

Knights of Columbus Stadium was a football stadium located in East Orange, New Jersey, along Main Street. The stadium was used by the Orange Tornadoes of the National Football League in 1929. However, the Tornadoes first moved into the stadium in 1926, when they were still called the Orange Athletic Club. The Tornadoes briefly moved to Newark, New Jersey in 1930. However, after a disastrous season, the team moved back to Orange and played independently at the stadium from 1931 until 1935. The team also played at Knights of Columbus Stadium in 1936, as a member of American Association.

The largest crowd in 1929 was 9,000 people who attended the season opener on September 29. The smallest crowd of the season was 1,500 people on November 17. Former Orange player, Ernest Cuneo, once wrote that the attendance mainly ran in the range between 2,500 and 3,000 fans at Knights of Columbus Field, which was low even for a Depression year.

Knights of Columbus Stadium
LocationEast Orange, New Jersey
Tenants
Orange Athletic Club (Ind.) (1926–1928)
Orange Tornadoes (NFL) (1929)
Orange Tornadoes (Ind.) (1931–1935)
Orange Tornadoes (AA) (1936)

References

Preceded by
East Orange Stadium
Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
1926 – 1929
Succeeded by
Newark Schools Stadium
Preceded by
Newark Velodrome
Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
1931 – 1936
Succeeded by
Newark Schools Stadium
East Orange Stadium

East Orange Stadium was a football stadium located at the intersection of North Clinton St. and Park Avenue in East Orange, New Jersey. The field was used for practice and home games by the Orange Athletic Club, who later evolved into the Orange Tornadoes of the National Football League prior to the opening of Knights of Columbus Stadium in 1926. Paul Robeson Stadium, which is used by Morris Hills High School athletics, occupies the space that was once used for the field.

Newark Schools Stadium

Newark Schools Stadium (nicknamed "The Old Lady of Bloomfield Avenue") is the name of two stadiums that were both located on Bloomfield Avenue between Abingdon and Roseville Avenues in the Roseville section of Newark, New Jersey.

The first stadium was used primarily for football and was built in 1925. It was the home of the Newark Tornadoes of the National Football League during the 1930 season. The stadium was used for high school football until 2006. Baseball's Newark Stars of the Eastern Colored League, which was a part of the Negro Leagues, also used the stadium in 1926. Its primary use, however, was for Newark's high schools. The original stadium was a reinforced concrete horseshoe shaped venue that had a maximum seating capacity of 25,000.

The original stadium was condemned in 2006 and demolished in 2009. In its place, a brand new Schools Stadium was constructed on the site and the new stadium opened in 2011.

The current Schools Stadium shares some design elements with its predecessor but seats far fewer people (5,600) in two metal bleacher sections. It currently plays host to football games played by Barringer High School, East Side High School, and Newark Collegiate Academy. The new Schools Stadium is one of three venues used by Newark's high schools; Shabazz High School and Weequahic High School both have football stadiums. Shabazz's field, Shabazz Stadium, is also used by Newark Central High School. Weequahic's Untermann Field is also home to West Side High School's football team.

Newark Velodrome

The Newark Velodrome was a bicycle track located on South Orange Avenue in Newark, New Jersey. It measured six laps to the mile, or 293 yards per lap. The track was built in 1907. The Newark Tornadoes of the National Football League also played several "home" games on the track's grassy infield, during the 1930 season, while the other "home" games were played at Newark Schools Stadium.

Orange/Newark Tornadoes

The Orange Tornadoes and Newark Tornadoes were two manifestations of a long-lived professional American football franchise that existed in some form from 1887 to 1941 and from 1958 to 1970, having played in the National Football League from 1929 to 1930, the American Association from 1936 to 1941, the Atlantic Coast Football League from 1963 to 1964 and 1970, and the Continental Football League from 1965 to 1969. The team was based for most of its history in Orange, New Jersey, with many of its later years in Newark. Its last five seasons of existence were as the Orlando Panthers, when the team was based in Orlando, Florida. The NFL franchise was sold back to the league in October 1930. The team had four head coaches in its two years in the NFL – Jack Depler in Orange, and Jack Fish, Al McGall and Andy Salata in Newark.

The Franchise
Lore
Stadia
Notable players
Head Coaches
Owners
NFL seasons
League affiliations
Defunct stadiums of the National Football League
Early era:
19201940
Merger era:
19411970
Current era:
1971–present
Stadiums
used by
NFL teams
temporarily

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.