|• 1911||20,070 acres (81.2 km2)|
|• 1961||20,070 acres (81.2 km2)|
|• Origin||Rural sanitary district|
|• Succeeded by||Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham|
|Government||Kiveton Park Rural District Council|
|• HQ||South Anston|
|• Motto||Consilio et Animis (By Wisdom and Courage)|
|• Type||Civil parishes|
It was formed under the Local Government Act 1894 from that part of the Worksop rural sanitary district which was in the West Riding - the rest going to form Worksop Rural District in Nottinghamshire and Clowne Rural District in Derbyshire. The rural district took its name from the village of Kiveton Park.
The rural district originally comprised 11 civil parishes:
In 1954 the number of parishes was reduced to 10 when Dinnington and St Johns with Throapham were merged to form Dinnington St John's.
A coat of arms was granted to Kiveton Park Rural District Council by the College of Arms on 11 March 1949. The blazon of the arms,was as follows:
Quarterly ermine and azure, on a cross Or between in the first quarter a cock and a magpie combatant proper, in the second quarter a hart trippant, in the third quarter a garb of the third and in the fourth quarter an oak tree eradicated also proper fructed gold, a torteau charged with a rose argent barbed and seeded also proper; and for a Crest: on a wreath of the colours, a castle of four towers Or.
The basic pattern of the arms was based on those of the Osborne family of Kiveton: quarterly ermine and azure overall a cross Or. Thomas Osborne was created Earl of Danby in 1674, Marquess of Carmarthen in 1689 and Duke of Leeds in 1694. In the first quarter were a cock and magpie (or pynot). This refers to the fact that The Earl of Danby was one of the "immortal seven" who signed the Invitation to William at the Cock and Pynot Inn in 1688. The hart stood for Hart Hill Walk. The garb or wheatsheaf and oak tree represented the rural nature of the area. In the centre of the arms was a Yorkshire rose. The crest was intended to depict Thorpe Salvin Hall, some time seat of the Osbornes.
A civil parish is a country subdivision, forming the lowest unit of local government in England. There are 93 civil parishes in the ceremonial county of South Yorkshire, most of the county being unparished. At the 2001 census, there were 360,191 people living in the 93 parishes, increasing to 369,220 in 2011, accounting for 27.5 per cent of the county's population.Clowne Rural District
Clowne was a rural district in Derbyshire, England from 1894 to 1974.
It was created by the Local Government Act 1894 as that part of the Worksop rural sanitary district which was in Derbyshire (the rest becoming either Worksop Rural District or Kiveton Park Rural District). It consisted of four civil parishes :
WhitwellIt was abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, going on to form part of the new district of Bolsover.List of rural and urban districts in England in 1973
This is a list of all the rural districts, urban districts and municipal boroughs in England as they existed prior to the entry into force of the Local Government Act 1972 on 1 April 1974. There were 1086 such districts and boroughs at this time, the result of a gradual consolidation since their formation in 1894. Apart from these, England also had 79 county boroughs.Local Government Act 1972
The Local Government Act 1972 (c. 70) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that reformed local government in England and Wales on 1 April 1974.Its pattern of two-tier metropolitan and non-metropolitan county and district councils remains in use today in large parts of England, although the metropolitan county councils were abolished in 1986, and both county and district councils were replaced with unitary authorities in many areas in the 1990s.
In Wales, too, the Act established a similar pattern of counties and districts, but these have since been entirely replaced with a system of unitary authorities.
It was one of the most significant Acts of Parliament to be passed by the Heath Government of 1970–74 and is surpassed only by the European Communities Act 1972 which took the United Kingdom into the European Communities.
Elections were held to the new authorities in 1973, and they acted as "shadow authorities" until the handover date. Elections to county councils were held on 12 April, for metropolitan and Welsh districts on 10 May, and for non-metropolitan district councils on 7 June.Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England. It is named after its largest town, Rotherham, but also spans the outlying towns of Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath-upon-Dearne, and also Dinnington and Laughton
as well as a suburban and rural element composed of hills, escarpments and broad valleys.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the County Borough of Rotherham, with Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Wath-upon-Dearne urban districts along with Rotherham Rural District and Kiveton Park Rural District.
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council is one of the safest Labour councils in the United Kingdom, although the number of Labour council seats dropped from 92% to 79% in 2014 following the Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal.Worksop Rural District
Worksop (previously Blyth and Cuckney) was a Rural District in Nottinghamshire, England.
It originated as Worksop Rural Sanitary District in 1872. In 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894, the Worksop RSD was split to match county borders, with the West Riding of Yorkshire part becoming the Kiveton Park Rural District, and the Derbyshire part becoming Clowne Rural District.
The remainder, in Nottinghamshire, became the Blyth and Cuckney Rural District, taking its name from two of the parishes, Blyth and Cuckney. In 1925 it was renamed Worksop Rural District.
The district consisted of two detached parts, north and south of the town of Worksop. The northern part contained Blyth; the southern contained Cuckney.
It was abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972 and now forms part of the Bassetlaw district, with the exception of small areas that are now part of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster.