Kingston, New Hampshire
|• Board of Selectmen||Mark Heitz, Chair|
George A. Korn
Phillip A. Coombs
Kevin P. St. James
Donald W. Briggs, Jr.
|• Total||20.9 sq mi (54.1 km2)|
|• Land||19.7 sq mi (50.9 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2) 5.89%|
|Elevation||135 ft (41 m)|
|• Density||307/sq mi (118.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873638|
Kingston was the fifth town to be established in New Hampshire. Originally, it was a part of Hampton, New Hampshire. After King Philip's War, the establishment of new settlements was made possible by peace treaties with the local Indian tribes and, in 1692, by geographical and jurisdictional agreements between the provinces of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Consequently, certain residents of Hampton, New Hampshire petitioned for a grant of a separate township to be created from the western part of Hampton. And so, in 1694, King William of England granted a royal charter establishing the town of "Kingstown", so named in honor of the King. Use of the title rather than the King's name was common at the time. The original charter still exists to this day.
The Kingston historic district encompasses the town center of Kingston. Historic buildings and sites within the district include the Kingston town hall; the Josiah Bartlett House, home of the second signer of the U.S. Declaration of Independence; the First Universalist Church; the Sanborn Seminary; the Nichols Memorial Research Library; the Kingston Historical Museum (housed in the town's first fire house); The 1686 House restaurant; the Masonic building; the Cemetery at the Plains (where Josiah Bartlett is buried); the Church on the Plains, and the Grace Daley House and barn, home to the town's first church owned parsonage (1835).
West Kingston is located along the road to Danville, in the western section of town, southwest of Great Pond. Evidence of the early inhabitants was manifested by the construction of a log garrison house on the present Great Pond Road. This well-built house consisted of two large rooms downstairs and a huge open chamber on the second floor. In later years a small ell was attached to the north side. The historic house was demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. The stone step at the main entrance and what must have been the "cellar hole" of this dwelling are still visible.
In the midst of an agrarian society, the charcoal manufacturing industry took root and became a major business in West Kingston. Charcoal was carried by horse-drawn wagons to the Massachusetts cities of Haverhill, Lawrence, North Andover, Newburyport, Lowell, and Amesbury, as well as to Exeter, New Hampshire. Some was sold by street peddlers to be used in homes for the purpose of kindling fires. A great deal was also used by the large machine shops and by the silversmiths.
Many individuals manufactured shoes in their small, one-room shoe shops. Such a shop stood until recently near the Thomas Page residence. Some people sewed shoes in their own homes. Unlike the large-scale factories of today, concerned with mass production, these enterprises constructed the whole shoe, hand-sewing it with an artisan's touch.
A cooper shop on the Wadleigh Farm produced barrels made entirely of wood: the staves were made of pine and hardwoods, and were bound with hoops of birch. Skilled workers made hooks to hold hoops together. When a sufficient number of barrels was collected, the men hauled them to Newburyport to be sold - probably to be used by fishermen in packing fish.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 20.9 square miles (54.1 km2), of which 19.7 square miles (50.9 km2) are land and 1.2 square miles (3.2 km2) are water, comprising 5.89% of the town. The highest point in Kingston is the east summit of Rock Rimmon Hill, at about 350 feet (110 m) above sea level, on the town's border with Danville to the west. The majority of the town is drained by the Powwow River, a tributary of the Merrimack. The northern portion of town is drained by the Little River, part of the Exeter River/Piscataqua River watershed.
The Kingston Days celebration occurs on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of August. It is to celebrate the town's incorporation date of August 6, 1694. The celebration offers live music and activities, family fun and a large flea market, car show, and motorcycle show. It also includes various events such as a karate show and a police dog demonstration. During this event the Kingston Historical Museum complex is open to the public, in conjunction with the Nichols Memorial Research Library.
Schools in Kingston are:
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,025 people, 2,288 households, and 1,704 families residing in the town. The population density was 305.8 people per square mile (118.4/km²). There were 2,480 housing units, of which 192, or 7.7%, were vacant at the time of the census. The racial makeup of the town was 97.0% White, 0.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.3% some other race, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.
Of the 2,288 households, 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.3% were headed by married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 19.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.4% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63, and the average family size was 3.01.
21.2% of the town population were under the age of 18, 7.4% were from age 18 to 24, 23.6% were from 25 to 44, 35.1% were from 45 to 64, and 12.7% were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.7 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
For the period 2013-17, the estimated median annual income for a household in the town was $93,096, and the median income for a family was $101,471. Male full-time workers had a median income of $59,657 versus $54,805 for females. The per capita income for the town was $46,706. About 2.7% of families and 4.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.
Anthony Richard Manfreda (February 19, 1904 – October 9, 1988) holds the Holy Cross record for most yards gained (100 against Boston University in 1929) on a kickoff return. He played high school football for Sanborn Seminary in Kingston, New Hampshire. He also played in the National Football League for the Newark Tornadoes (2 games in 1930). He was born in Meriden, Connecticut.Charles Rufus Brown
Charles Rufus Brown (1849 – 1914) was an American Baptist clergyman and Biblical scholar. He did not originally intend such a career, even though his father was a Baptist clergyman. Aiming at the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, he graduated and was serving in the Navy when he felt a call to the clergy. Resigning, he spent the next several years learning the languages and scholarship of the Bible, publishing and teaching at last in the American School of Oriental Research in Jerusalem. He came home to a small Baptist ministry in New Hampshire.Dana Jennings
Dana Jennings (who has also written as Dana Andrew Jennings) is an American journalist, who is an editor at The New York Times, as well as an author. His books include What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch; Sing Me Back Home: Love, Death and Country Music; Me, Dad and Number 6; Lonesome Standard Time; Women of Granite; and Mosquito Games.
At the Times since 1993, Jennings has written or edited for Sports, Arts and Leisure, New Jersey weekly, Travel, the City section, Education Life, Culture and The New York Times Book Review.East Kingston, New Hampshire
East Kingston is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,357 at the 2010 census.Ebenezer Webster
Ebenezer Webster (born in Kingston, New Hampshire, April 22, 1739; died in Salisbury (now part of Franklin), New Hampshire, April 22, 1806) was a United States farmer, innkeeper, militia member, politician and judge. He was the father of Daniel Webster, a noted lawyer and orator who served in the United States Congress, as United States Secretary of State, and in other offices.First Universalist Church (Kingston, New Hampshire)
The First Universalist Church, known locally as the Church on the Plains, is a historic church building on Main Street in Kingston, New Hampshire. Built in 1879 to a design by the regionally prominent architect C. Willis Damon, it is a fine local example of Stick/Eastlake architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and is now owned by the local historical society.Great Pond (New Hampshire)
Great Pond is a 268-acre (1.08 km2) water body located in Rockingham County in southeastern New Hampshire in the United States. The lake lies near the center of the town of Kingston. Kingston State Park, a small preserve with a swimming beach, occupies the northeastern end of the lake, near the town center. The lake is located along the Powwow River, a tributary of the Merrimack River.
The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, chain pickerel, white perch, black crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, and pumpkinseed.Greeley House (East Kingston, New Hampshire)
The Greeley House is a historic First Period house on New Hampshire Route 108, east of the center of East Kingston, New Hampshire. Built about 1718, it is one of the community's oldest surviving buildings, and a distinctive and visible reminder of its largely agrarian past. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.Henry F. C. Nichols
Henry Franklin Clough "F. C." Nichols was a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly.Josiah Bartlett House
The Josiah Bartlett House is a house in Kingston, New Hampshire. The 2-1/2 story wood frame house is located on Main Street, opposite Town Hall. The main block of the house, five bays wide and three deep, was built in 1774 by Josiah Bartlett, replacing a house which was destroyed by fire. During the first decades of the 19th century, Greek Revival styling was added to the house, as was a two-story addition to the rear. The Greek Revival elements include large corner pilasters, projecting lintels over some of the windows, and the front door surround, which has pilasters and a cornice.The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971, for its association with Bartlett. Josiah Bartlett (1729–1795) was born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, was trained as a physician, and established a practice in Kingston. He was politically opposed to British rule, serving as one of New Hampshire's representatives to the Continental Congress, and was likely the second signer of the United States Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. There were allegations made that Bartlett's first house was burned down by Loyalist agents due to his political activities before the American Revolution, but he gave these accusations no credence. He gave medical services to the rebel troops at the 1777 Battle of Bennington, and served as Governor of New Hampshire from 1790 to 1794. He died in this house in 1795. The house is a private residence (still owned by Bartlett descendants in 1971), and is not normally open to the public.Josiah Bartlett Jr.
For the television character on The West Wing, see Josiah Bartlet.Josiah Bartlett Jr. (August 29, 1768 – April 16, 1838) was an American physician and politician from New Hampshire. He served as a United States Representative from New Hampshire and as a member of the New Hampshire Senate during the early 1800s.Kingston State Park
Kingston State Park is a 44-acre (18 ha) state park located on Great Pond in the town of Kingston, New Hampshire. The park offers 300 feet (91 m) of swim area with a bathhouse, canoe rentals, fireplaces and picnic areas, a playground, softball field, and three game areas for horseshoes and volleyball. A pavilion can be rented.
The park connects to Rock Rimmon State Forest.Little River (Brentwood, New Hampshire)
The Little River is a 7.3 mile long (11.7 km) river in the towns of Kingston and Brentwood in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, in the United States. It is a tributary of the Exeter River, part of the Great Bay/Piscataqua River watershed in the New Hampshire Seacoast region. The river should not be confused with the Little River of Exeter, New Hampshire, another tributary of the Exeter River less than three miles away.
The Little River rises in the northwestern part of Kingston, New Hampshire, and follows a winding course generally northeast through flat or slightly hilly terrain. The river turns north as it enters Brentwood and reaches the Exeter River east of Brentwood's town center.Little River (Merrimack River tributary)
The Little River is a 12.9-mile-long (20.8 km) river located in New Hampshire and Massachusetts in the United States. It is a tributary of the Merrimack River, part of the Gulf of Maine watershed.
The Little River rises in Kingston, New Hampshire, flows south through Plaistow, and enters the city of Haverhill, Massachusetts, where it joins the Merrimack River. Most of the Little River's course is marked by suburban and urban development.Powwow Pond
Powwow Pond is a 348-acre (1.41 km2) water body in Rockingham County in southeastern New Hampshire, United States. The outlet of the pond is located in the town of East Kingston, but most of the lake lies in the town of Kingston. The Powwow River, the outlet of the pond, flows to the Merrimack River in Amesbury, Massachusetts.
The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including smallmouth and largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, and black crappie.Russell Prescott
Russell Prescott is a Republican member of the Executive Council of New Hampshire, representing the 3rd district since 2016. Prescott is a former member of the New Hampshire Senate, representing the 23rd district from 2010-2016.Sanborn Regional High School
Sanborn Regional High School is located in Kingston, New Hampshire and serves the towns of Kingston, Newton, and Fremont. SRHS is a part of the Sanborn Regional School District. The school has a current population of approximately 750 students.Sanborn Seminary
Sanborn Seminary is a historic educational facility in Kingston, New Hampshire. Its main building was built in 1883 by Major Edward S. Sanborn (died 1885) to serve as a secular secondary boarding school. The school ran continuously until 1966 when it was sold to the Town of Kingston. The campus became known as Sanborn Regional High School and served students from the towns of Kingston, Newton, and Fremont. The last class at this campus graduated in June 2006.The 1686 House
The 1686 House is a fine dining restaurant in Kingston, New Hampshire, USA, that is best known for its extensive wine list and colonial decor. In 1992, it won one of the six 1992 Grand Awards for Outstanding Restaurant Wine Lists given by Wine Spectator.The 1686 House is located in the historic district of Kingston and is one of the oldest buildings in the town. It was originally built as a residential home. The basement of the building originally had escape tunnels that were built in case of an attack by Native Americans. The long history of the building has drawn the attention of paranormal investigators, some of whom claim the building is home to ghosts.The 1686 House has hosted political fundraisers for New Hampshire primary candidates. It also hosts other functions, including wedding receptions.
Places adjacent to Kingston, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States