It is north-east of Hoyland, separated from it by the Jump Valley, through which a stream runs. According to local legend, Jump village was named by the local coal miners having to 'jump' over the stream to go to work.
Flints from the late Mesolithic have been found in the Roebuck Hill area, along with Neolithic and Bronze Age material. No evidence of permanent settlement has been found from these periods. Pre-Roman Iron Age settlement of the area is known of because of post-holes, indicating the presence of a late-Iron Age roundhouse. A locally made beehive quern is one of many artefacts found at the site. Later Post-Medieval use of the site shows the construction of a kiln, possibly used to produce iron.
Also, the village hosts a traditional Fish and Chip shop, a butcher, a hairdresser, a convenience store and a Post Office. Recently opening in the village is a Sure Start nursery school, which is in the centre of the village. The village also has a local school for young children, Jump Primary School.
Jump Post Office
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The village is accessible by public transport via two bus routes, the 66 (one way), which runs approximately every ten minutes and the Jump Circular 67, which runs in both directions every hour. The nearest train station is just a short walk up the hill in Elsecar.
Media related to Jump, South Yorkshire at Wikimedia CommonsA6195 road
The A6195 road runs through the Dearne Valley in South Yorkshire.Larrett Roebuck
Larrett Roebuck (27 January 1889 – 18 October 1914) was an English professional footballer who played in the Football League for Huddersfield Town as a left back. He was the first Football League player to be killed in the First World War.