Johnston County is a county located in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,957. Its county seat is Tishomingo. It was established at statehood on November 16, 1907 and named for Douglas H. Johnston, a governor of the Chickasaw Nation.
Johnston County is part of the Texoma Region.
|Johnston County, Oklahoma|
Location within the U.S. state of Oklahoma
Oklahoma's location within the U.S.
|Named for||Douglas H.Johnston|
|• Total||658 sq mi (1,704 km2)|
|• Land||643 sq mi (1,665 km2)|
|• Water||15 sq mi (39 km2), 2.3%|
|• Density||17/sq mi (7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC−6/−5|
In 1820, the U.S. government granted the land now known as Johnston County to the Choctaw tribe. Many of the Choctaws began moving to the new land in Indian Territory in 1830. The rest followed Chickasaw tribe, who were closely related to the Choctaw, formally separated from the Choctaw Nation in the late 1830s, relocating to the western part of the Choctaw Nation. The Chickasaw Nation named the town of Tishomingo as its capital and built a brick capitol building there in 1856.
Several educational institutions were established in the Chickasaw Nation before the Civil War. The Pleasant Grove Mission School and the Chickasaw Academy were founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1844. The Presbyterians, in partnership with the Chickasaw Nation, opened the Wapanucka Female Manual Labour School in 1852.
The Chickasaw government joined the Confederate States of America after the outbreak of the Civil War. The Union army ordered its troops to evacuate Fort Washita, Fort Cobb and Fort Arbuckle. When Confederate troops occupied the area, they used the stone building at Wapanucka as a hospital and a prison.
Several railroads built tracks through this area about the turn of the 20th century. In 1900–1901 the St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway, which the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad (Frisco) purchased in June 1901, laid tracks north-south through the area. In 1902, the Western Oklahoma Railroad, which became the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad (CO&G), built a line southwest to northeast through the present county. In 1908 – 1910 the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway (MO&G), (acquired by the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway in 1919,) laid a north-south line in the far eastern portion of Johnston County. In 1911, the MO&G built a spur west to Bromide, an early-twentieth-century health resort, capitalizing on the vicinity's natural springs. Now the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe, which acquired the Frisco in 1980, is the only railroad left in the county.
The northern part of the county lies in the Arbuckle Mountains, which consists of rock outcroppings and rolling hills. The southern part of the county is part of the Coastal Plains region, and is more suitable for farming. The county is drained by the Washita and Blue Rivers and Pennington Creek, which are all tributaries of the Red River. An arm of Lake Texoma protrudes into southern Johnston County.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,513 people, 4,057 households, and 2,900 families residing in the county. The population density was 16 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 4,782 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 76.09% White, 1.66% Black or African American, 15.32% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 1.24% from other races, and 5.38% from two or more races. 2.47% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 97.0% spoke English, 1.6% Spanish and 1.2% Choctaw as their first language.
There were 4,057 households out of which 31.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.60% were married couples living together, 10.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.50% were non-families. 25.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.50% under the age of 18, 9.70% from 18 to 24, 25.00% from 25 to 44, 24.30% from 45 to 64, and 15.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $24,592, and the median income for a family was $30,292. Males had a median income of $25,240 versus $19,868 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,747. About 17.80% of families and 22.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.00% of those under age 18 and 19.30% of those age 65 or over.
|Voter Registration and Party Enrollment as of January 15, 2019|
|Party||Number of Voters||Percentage|
Bee is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. Its population was 140 as of the 2010 census.Chickasaw Nation Capitols
The historic Chickasaw Nation Capitols are located in Tishomingo, Oklahoma. The property consists of Chickasaw Council House Museum and the Chickasaw Nation Capitol building, which has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since November 5, 1971.Coleman, Oklahoma
Coleman is a small unincorporated community and census-designated place in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The town was previously known as "Ego", which was the name assigned to the post office when it was established in 1895. The post office name was officially changed to "Coleman" on September 10, 1910. The Census Bureau defined a census-designated place (CDP) for Coleman in 2015; the 2010 population within the 2015 CDP boundary is 319 and contains 154 housing units.Connerville, Oklahoma
Connerville is a rural unincorporated community and census-designated place on the Blue River in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The post office opened August 6, 1897, in District 16 of the old Indian Territory. The ZIP Code is 74836. It is said to have been named for George B. Conner, the first postmaster.The Census Bureau defined a census-designated place (CDP) for Connerville in 2015; the 2010 population within the 2015 CDP boundary is 80 and contains 42 housing units.Earl, Oklahoma
Earl is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma. A post office operated in Earl from 1893 to 1908.Fillmore, Oklahoma
Fillmore is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States.Folsom, Oklahoma
Folsom is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma. A post office operated in Folsom from 1894 to 1955. The town was named after David Folsom, who was a well-known Chickasaw.Lake Texoma
Lake Texoma is one of the largest reservoirs in the United States, the 12th largest US Army Corps of Engineers' (USACE) lake, and the largest in USACE Tulsa District. Lake Texoma is formed by Denison Dam on the Red River in Bryan County, Oklahoma, and Grayson County, Texas, about 726 miles (1,168 km) upstream from the mouth of the river. It is located at the confluence of the Red and Washita Rivers. The project was completed in 1944. The damsite is about 5 miles (8.0 km) northwest of Denison, Texas, and 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Durant, Oklahoma. Lake Texoma is the most developed and most popular lake within the USACE Tulsa District, attracting around 6 million visitors a year. Oklahoma has more of the lake within its boundaries than Texas.Murray State College
Murray State College is a public community college in southeastern Oklahoma with the main campus located in Tishomingo, Oklahoma. The college is named in honor of former Oklahoma Governor William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray.
Murray State College also maintains a smaller campus in Ardmore, Oklahoma as one of four state higher education institutions that participate at the University Center of Southern Oklahoma (the other three are Oklahoma State University, Southeastern State University, and East Central University).National Register of Historic Places listings in Johnston County, Oklahoma
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Johnston County, Oklahoma.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties on the National Register of Historic Places in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The locations of National Register properties for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in a map.There are 6 properties listed on the National Register in the county. Another property was once listed but has since been removed.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted May 3, 2019.Nida, Oklahoma
Nida is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States, along State Highway 22. A post office operated in Nida from 1895 to 1915. The first postmaster was R.F. French. The town was named after his wife, Nida French. It is the nearest community to Fort Washita, a National Historic Landmark.Pontotoc, Oklahoma
Pontotoc is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma. A post office was established in Pontotoc in 1858. The town was named after Pontotoc County, which was one of the divisions of Chickasaw Nation.Ravia, Oklahoma
Ravia is a town in Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 528 at the 2010 census, up from 459 at the 2000 census.Reagan, Oklahoma
Reagan is an unincorporated community in Johnston County, Oklahoma. A post office operated in Reagan from 1894 to 1931. The town was named after John Henninger Reagan who was Postmaster General of the Confederate States of America.Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Tishomingo is the largest city and the county seat of Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 3,034 at the 2010 census, a decline of 4.1 percent from 3,162 at the 2000 census. It was the first capital of the Chickasaw Nation, from 1856 until Oklahoma statehood in 1907. The city is home to Murray State College, a community college with an annual enrollment of 3,015 students. Tishomingo is part of the Texoma region.Tishomingo City Hall
The Tishomingo City Hall on W. Main St. in Tishomingo, Oklahoma, also known as Bank of the Chickasaw Nation, was built in 1911. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.It was "designed, constructed, and finished under the direction of J. A. Shannon, an architect who was also superintendent" of the Harris Granite Quarries, source for its granite.Wapanucka, Oklahoma
Wapanucka (pronounced Wop´-uh-nuck´-uh) is a town in northeast Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 438 at the 2010 census, a 1.6 percent decrease from 445 at the 2000 census. It is about 20 miles (32 km) northeast of Tishomingo. The town name refers to the Delaware Nation and means "Eastern Land People."Washita River
The Washita River is a river in the states of Texas and Oklahoma in the United States. The river is 295 miles (475 km) long and terminates at its confluence with the Red River, which is now part of Lake Texoma (33°55′N 96°35′W) on the Texas–Oklahoma border.White House of the Chickasaws
The White House of the Chickasaws in Milburn, Oklahoma was built in 1895. It was designed by Dallas architect W.A. Waltham in the Queen Anne style. The house is also known as Gov. Douglas H. Johnston House, because Chickasaw Governor Douglas Hancock Johnston and his descendants resided in the mansion from 1898 to 1971 when the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. At the time of its construction, the house was on the north edge of the community of Emet, Oklahoma, where Johnston operated a store, but its formal street address is now 6379 E. Mansion Dr., Milburn, OklahomaOn July 21, 1902, Johnston Murray, the son of Oklahoma Governor William H. Murray, was born at the mansion. William H. Murray had married Mary Alice Hearrell, one of Johnston's nieces, and their son, Johnston Murray, would go on to become the 14th Oklahoma Governor. Julie Chisholm, a granddaughter of Jesse Chisholm and a niece of the Johnstons, was also married in the mansion.The house is now a historic house museum owned by the Chickasaw Nation and has been restored to a 1900 appearance. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 1971, under Criteria A and C. At that time, the house was still owned by descendants of the Governor.
Places adjacent to Johnston County, Oklahoma
Municipalities and communities of Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Oklahoma City (capital)