Jacob Ruppert Jr. (August 5, 1867 – January 13, 1939) was an American brewer, businessman, National Guard colonel and politician who served for four terms representing New York in the United States House of Representatives from 1899 to 1907. He also owned the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball from 1915 until his death in 1939.
Starting out in the family brewing business, Ruppert entered the 7th Regiment of the New York National Guard in 1886 at the age of 19, eventually reaching the rank of colonel. While he was the owner of the Yankees, he purchased the contract of Babe Ruth and built Yankee Stadium, reversing the franchise's fortunes and establishing it as the premier club in the major leagues. Ruppert was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in July 2013.
Ruppert in 1923
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 15th and 16th districts|
March 4, 1899 – March 3, 1907
|Preceded by||Philip B. Low (15th) |
Cornelius A. Pugsley (16th)
|Succeeded by||William H. Douglas (15th) |
Francis Burton Harrison (16th)
Jacob Ruppert Jr.
August 5, 1867
New York City
|Died||January 13, 1939 (aged 71)|
New York City
|Parents||Jacob Ruppert Sr.|
|Occupation||Businessman (brewing, baseball)|
|Branch/service||New York Army National Guard|
|Years of service||1886–1895|
|Unit||7th New York Infantry|
|Member of the National|
|Baseball Hall of Fame|
|Election Method||Pre-Integration Era Committee|
Ruppert was born in New York City, the son of brewer Jacob Ruppert Sr., and his wife, the former Anna Gillig. He was the second oldest of six children. His mother was also of German ethnicity, and was herself the daughter of prominent brewer George Gillig. Although he was a second-generation American, to the day he died he spoke with a noticeable German accent.
Ruppert grew up in the Jacob Ruppert Sr. House on Fifth Avenue. Jacob Jr. attended the Columbia Grammar School. He was accepted into Columbia College, but instead began working in the brewing business with his father in 1887. He started as a barrel washer, working 12-hour days for $10 a week ($279 in current dollar terms), and eventually became vice president and general manager of the brewery.
In 1886, Ruppert enlisted in the Seventh Regiment, National Guard of New York, serving in the rank of private through 1889. In 1890, he was promoted to colonel and appointed to serve on the staff of David B. Hill, the Governor of New York, serving as aide-de-camp. He became a senior aide on the staff of Roswell P. Flower, Hill's successor as governor, until 1895.
In the 1898 elections, Ruppert was elected to the United States House of Representatives as a member of the Democratic Party to the 56th United States Congress, defeating incumbent Philip B. Low of the Republican Party in New York's 15th congressional district. He was supported in his election by Richard Croker, the political boss of Tammany Hall. Ruppert won reelection over Alderman Elias Goodman in 1900. Ruppert was renominated for Congress, this time running in New York's 16th congressional district, in 1902. Ruppert was not a candidate for reelection in 1906, and he left office in 1907.
Ruppert was also president of the Astoria Silk Works and the United States Brewers Association from 1911 through 1914. In January 1914, he bought J&M Haffen Brewing Company for $700,000 ($17,509,302 in current dollar terms), intending to close the brewery down and develop the property, which was located near The Hub in The Bronx. Upon his father's death in 1915, Ruppert inherited the Jacob Ruppert Brewing Company and became the company's president. Ruppert also owned real estate, including Pass-a-Grille Key in Florida.
Ruppert, interested in baseball since his childhood, began to pursue ownership of a Major League Baseball team and attempted to purchase the New York Giants on numerous occasions. In 1912 he was offered an opportunity to purchase the Chicago Cubs, but decided that Chicago was too far away from New York for his tastes. However, Frank J. Farrell and William S. Devery, owners of the New York Yankees, were looking to sell their franchise. Ruppert and Tillinghast L'Hommedieu Huston, a former United States Army engineer and colonel, purchased the Yankees from Farrell and Devery before the 1915 season for $480,000 ($11,887,895 in current dollar terms). The Yankees were, at that time, a perennial also-ran in the American League (AL), posting winning records in only 4 of their 12 seasons – and only once since 1906 – since relocating to New York prior to the 1903 season from Baltimore, where the team had played as the Orioles during the AL's first two years of operation, 1901 and 1902.
After the 1917 season, Ban Johnson, president of the AL, suggested that Ruppert hire St. Louis Cardinals manager Miller Huggins to take over the same position with the Yankees. Huston, who was in Europe at the time that Ruppert was considering the appointment, disliked Huggins and wanted to hire the manager of the National League's crosstown Brooklyn Robins, Wilbert Robinson, his drinking buddy. However, Ruppert interviewed Huggins on Johnson's recommendation, and agreed that Huggins would be an excellent choice. Ruppert offered the job to Huggins, who accepted and signed a two-year contract. The hiring of Huggins drove a wedge between the two co-owners that culminated in Huston selling his shares of the team to Ruppert in 1922.
Ruppert and Huston purchased pitcher Carl Mays from the Boston Red Sox in 1918, in direct opposition of an order issued by Johnson. The matter was taken to court, where Ruppert and Huston prevailed over Johnson. The case led to the dissolution of the National Commission, which governed baseball, and helped lead to the creation of the Commissioner of Baseball. Ruppert eventually organized opposition to Johnson among other AL owners.
The Yankees purchased star pitcher-outfielder Babe Ruth from the Red Sox in 1919, which made the Yankees a profitable franchise. The Yankees began to outdraw the Giants, with whom they shared the Polo Grounds. In 1921 the Yankees won the AL pennant for the first time, but lost to the Giants in the World Series. As a result of the Yankees' increased popularity, Charles Stoneham, owner of the Giants and the Polo Grounds, raised the rent for the 1922 season. The Yankee owners responded by purchasing land in The Bronx, across the Harlem River from the Polo Grounds, from the estate of William Waldorf Astor for $675,000 ($10,103,529 in current dollar terms), breaking ground on a new stadium in May 1922. That year, the Giants once again defeated the Yankees in the World Series. Yankee Stadium opened on April 18, 1923, the first ballpark with three tiers of seating for fans, and the first referred to as a "stadium". Ruppert and Huston financed the project with $2.5 million of their own money ($37,420,477 in current dollar terms).
In May 1922, Ruppert bought out Huston for $1.5 million ($22,057,617 in current dollar terms), and he became the sole owner. Later that year, the Yankees finally beat the Giants to win their first World Series title. The Yankees went on to dominate baseball throughout most of the 1920s and 1930s, winning three more pennants from 1926 through 1928, including the Murderers' Row team that won the 1927 World Series and repeated as champions the following year. They returned to the top with the 1932 World Series title, and then began their strongest period yet with the Bronx Bombers teams of the late 1930s, becoming the first team to win three consecutive World Series titles in 1936, 1937 and 1938. In 1937, the Yankees became the first team to win six World Series titles, and in 1938 they surpassed the Philadelphia Athletics to become the first team to win ten AL championships, with only the Giants winning more pennants in the 20th century.
In 1929, Ruppert added numbers to the Yankees' uniforms, which became a feature of every team. He said, "Many fans do not attend games on a regular basis and cannot easily pick out the players they have come to see."
in 1931, Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis allowed for the creation of farm systems directly operated by major league teams. Ruppert bought the Newark Bears who played at Ruppert Stadium in Newark, New Jersey, and begin building the Yankees' farm system. Ruppert's 24 years as a Yankee owner saw him build the team from near-moribund to a baseball powerhouse. His own strength as a baseball executive – including his willingness to wheel and deal – was aided by the business skills of general manager Ed Barrow and the forceful field managing of Miller Huggins, until his sudden death at age 50 late in the 1929 season, and Joe McCarthy, beginning in 1931. By the time of Ruppert's death, the team was well on its way to becoming the most successful in the history of Major League Baseball, and eventually in North American professional sports.
Ruppert and Ruth had public disagreements about Ruth's contracts. Nevertheless, they were personal friends; according to Ruth, Ruppert called him "Babe" only once, and that was the night before he died. Usually, Ruppert called him "Root" (as "Ruth" sounded in his German-accented voice); he always called everyone, even close friends, by their last name. Ruth was one of the last persons to see Ruppert alive.
In 1894, Ruppert purchased South Brother Island, located in the East River, and was the last person to live on the island, leaving in 1909 when his house burned down. He purchased Eagle's Rest, an estate in Garrison, New York, on January 30, 1919.
Ruppert suffered from phlebitis in April 1938 and was confined to his Fifth Avenue apartment for most of the year. He was too sick to follow the Yankees to the 1938 World Series, what would be their seventh world title under his stewardship; he listened on the radio. In November 1938, he checked into Lenox Hill Hospital, where he died on January 13, 1939. He was survived by his brother George and his sister Amanda, and was interred in the family mausoleum at Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York.
Ruppert's father, Jacob Sr., left behind an estate of $6,382,758 ($116,767,189 in current dollar terms) when he died in 1915, which Ruppert increased to $40 million by the time of his death in 1939. This was managed by his heirs. His brother George, who served as the Yankees' vice president, declined to take over the team presidency, and instead recommended that general manager Ed Barrow be given control of the club. Under Barrow's leadership, the Yankees won a fourth consecutive World Series in 1939, and captured three more AL titles and two World Series from 1941 to 1943 as the nation entered World War II. After mismanaging Ruppert's brewery, the heirs sold the Yankees to Dan Topping, Del Webb and Larry MacPhail in 1945. The brewery sold its flagship beer, Knickerbocker beer, to Rheingold, and went out of business in 1965.
On April 16, 1940, the Yankees dedicated a plaque in Ruppert's memory, to hang on the center field wall of Yankee Stadium, near the flagpole and the monument that had been dedicated to former manager Miller Huggins. The plaque called Ruppert "Gentleman, American, sportsman, through whose vision and courage this imposing edifice, destined to become the home of champions, was erected and dedicated to the American game of baseball." The plaque now rests in Monument Park at New Yankee Stadium.
An apocryphal story says that Ruppert is responsible for the Yankees' famous pinstriped uniforms; according to this account, Ruppert chose pinstripes in order to make the often-portly Ruth appear less obese, but the uniform was in fact introduced in 1912.
A beer was named after Ruppert, as were Ruppert Stadium in Newark, New Jersey. Ruppert Park in Manhattan, is part of the Ruppert Yorkville Towers housing complex was built on the site the brewery in Yorkville, Manhattan.
On December 3, 2012, Ruppert was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame by the new Pre-Integration Era Committee, which considers candidates (managers, umpires, executives, and players) every three years that have been identified by the Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA) appointed Historical Overview Committee from the era prior to 1947. He was inducted into the Hall on July 28, 2013. His induction speech was given by Anne Vernon, a fifth-generation descendant of Ruppert's brother George.
May 21, 1922: Col. Ruppert buys out Col. Huston for $1.5 million.
Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees, purchased the team from the newspaper publisher Paul Block in 1931. Mayer traces the Bears' exciting first five seasons under Ruppert and the building of a farm system that eventually produced the great Yankee...sprinkled with some of the great names of the American pastime: Ed Barrow, Paul Kritchell, Al Mamaux, Red Rolfe, Babe Ruth, Shag Shaughnessey, Bob Shawkey, and George Weiss.
South Brother Island, seven acres of dense forest, bittersweet vines, flocks of wild birds and little else, is a speck in the East River — and a glimpse of what the rest of the city might have looked like thousands of years ago.
April 11, 1912: Pinstripes first appear on Highlanders' uniforms, creating a look that would become the most famous uniform design in sports.
Ruppert's name was resurrected by the Hall's historical overview committee, and last week, its new pre-integration era committee elected him with the umpire Hank O’Day and the 19th-century catcher/infielder Deacon White. Of the 16 votes, Ruppert and O’Day each received 15; White 14. They will be inducted posthumously July 28 with those who emerge in January from the Baseball Writers’ Association of America ballot.
William S. Devery and Frank Farrell
| Owner of the New York Yankees
with Tillinghast L' Hommedieu Huston 1915–1922
sole proprietor 1922–1939
Jacob Ruppert Estate
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Philip B. Low
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 15th congressional district
William H. Douglas
Cornelius Amory Pugsley
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 16th congressional district
Francis Burton Harrison
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress website http://bioguide.congress.gov.1915 New York Yankees season
The 1915 New York Yankees season was the 13th season for the Yankees and their 15th overall. The team was under new ownership and new management.
The team finished with a record of 69–83, 32½ games behind the American League champion Boston Red Sox. New York was managed by Bill Donovan. Home games were played at the Polo Grounds.2013 Baseball Hall of Fame balloting
Elections to the Baseball Hall of Fame for 2013 took place according to rules most recently revised in July 2010. As in the past, the Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA) voted by mail to select from a ballot of recently retired players, with results announced on January 9, 2013. The Pre-Integration Committee, the last of three new voting committees established during the July 2010 rules change to replace the more broadly defined Veterans Committee, convened early in December 2012 to select from a ballot of players and non-playing personnel who made their greatest contributions to the sport prior to 1947, called the "Pre-Integration Era" by the Hall of Fame.For the first time since 1996 (and just the third time since 1960), the BBWAA election resulted in no selections; as the ballot featured numerous strong candidates, the result was widely viewed as a reflection of the deep controversy over players who were primarily active during a period when the sport was riddled with rumored use of performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs), and candidates appeared to have suffered in the voting regardless of whether they had been closely tied to any such rumors. The controversy's first major impact on the Hall of Fame ballot was seen in 2007, and the arrival in future years of additional candidates with either alleged or actual links to PED use suggested that the issue would be significant in Hall voting for at least several more years.
For the first time since 1965, there were no living inductees. The induction class of 2013 consisted of the three deceased individuals elected by the new Pre-Integration Committee: player Deacon White, umpire Hank O'Day, and executive Jacob Ruppert, all of whom died in the 1930s. As was the case following the 1965 election–which also resulted only in the induction of a member deceased for over 60 years, and led to the resumption of annual BBWAA elections–the voting results led to calls for revision of the voting rules.The induction ceremonies were held on July 28, 2013 at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. On July 27, the Hall of Fame presented two annual awards for media excellence—its own Ford C. Frick Award for broadcasters and the BBWAA's J. G. Taylor Spink Award for writers, and also honored sports medicine pioneer Dr. Frank Jobe and filmmaker Thomas Tull, producer of the 2013 film 42.Barter Bluff
Barter Bluff (75°10′S 114°0′W) is a prominent rock bluff 1.5 nautical miles (3 km) west of Leister Peak in the Kohler Range, Marie Byrd Land. The bluff forms part of the steep wall along the east side of Kohler Glacier. It was mapped by the United States Geological Survey from surveys and from U.S. Navy air photos, 1959–66, and named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Leland L. Barter, Ship's Engineer on the Eleanor Bolling during the Byrd Antarctic Expedition, 1928–30, and on both the Bear of Oakland and the Jacob Ruppert during the Byrd Antarctic Expedition, 1933–35.Dan Topping
Daniel Reid Topping (June 11, 1912 – May 18, 1974) was a part owner and president of the New York Yankees baseball team from 1945 to 1964. Daniel Reid Topping was the son of Rhea Reid and Henry J. Topping. Rhea Reid, the daughter of Daniel G. Reid, known as the "Tinplate King" for his vast wealth in the tin industry, was the mother of three sons, Daniel Reid Topping, Henry J. Topping (1914), and John Reid Topping (1921). Daniel Topping, along with Del Webb and Larry MacPhail, purchased the Yankees for $2.8 million from the estate of Jacob Ruppert on January 25, 1945. MacPhail sold his share of the team to Topping and Webb in 1947, and the two sold controlling interest in the team to CBS in 1964, after which Topping remained as team president until 1966, when he sold his remaining stake in the Yankees.
Topping also was co-owner, along with John Simms Kelly, of the National Football League's Brooklyn Dodgers starting in 1931, eventually owning the team outright. By the mid-1940s, Topping wished to move his football team from Ebbets Field into the newer and larger Yankee Stadium. Tim Mara, owner of the New York Giants, who played in the Polo Grounds, held NFL territorial rights, and refused to permit this. Topping moved the team anyway, joining the newly formed All-America Football Conference. Topping's team retained most of its players during the jump and became the football New York Yankees. The team was not one of the AAFC teams admitted to the NFL in 1950, and folded.Frank J. Farrell
Frank J. Farrell (c. 1866 – February 10, 1926) was an American baseball executive. He and William S. Devery were the first owners of the New York Highlanders (now New York Yankees). They purchased the Baltimore Orioles on January 9, 1903 for $18,000 and moved it to New York City.Haffen Brewing Company
Haffen Brewery, later J&M Haffen Brewing Company, and incorporated as Haffen Brewing Company in 1900, operated in Bronx, New York from 1856 until 1917. Owned by Matthias Haffen, (1814 – 1891), who came to the United States from Bavaria in 1831, it was a "landmark" on old Melrose Avenue between 151st Street and 152nd Street. The Haffen Building, a seven-story Beaux-Arts architecture style
office building by architect Michael J. Garvin was built for him in 1901 to 1902. He married Catherine (Hays) Haffen (1823 – 1888), an emigrant from Limerick, Ireland, in 1840. They had six children.Matthias's German-Irish sons included John Haffen (1847–1910), two term Bronx Borough President Louis F. Haffen and Henry (1852-1932), who served on the New York Board of Aldermen. John Haffen took over the brewery and was involved in banking, including as a founding of Dollar Savings Bank. He was also involved in a funding deal for Wakefield Park, in return for a beer concession, but blue laws kept the park and its planned Sunday Irish athletic events from happening.The third generation of Haffens in the Bronx included John Matthias Haffen (born in 1872), a bank executive and president of the Bronx Board of Trade.The brewery business was sold to Jacob Ruppert, Sr. (1842–1915) in 1914 for $700,000. Ruppert died soon after and left the business to Jacob Ruppert, Jr. The plan was to close the brewery down and develop the property; it was in a rapidly growing area known as the Hub.Jacob Ruppert Sr. House
The Jacob Ruppert Sr. House was a large mansion located on 1115 Fifth Avenue (now 1119 Fifth Avenue) on the southeast corner of East 93rd Street and Fifth Avenue, in the Upper East Side of New York City.List of United States Supreme Court cases, volume 251
This is a list of all the United States Supreme Court cases from volume 251 of the United States Reports:
United States v. Southern Pacific Co., 251 U.S. 1 (1919)
Stroud v. United States, 251 U.S. 15 (1919)
Pacific Gas & Elec. Co. v. Police Court of Sacramento, 251 U.S. 22 (1919)
Postal Telegraph-Cable Co. v. Warren-Godwin Lumber Co., 251 U.S. 27 (1919)
Los Angeles v. Los Angeles Gas & Elec. Corp., 251 U.S. 32 (1919)
Ervien v. United States, 251 U.S. 41 (1919)
Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Nav. Co. v. Brooklyn Eastern Dist. Terminal, 251 U.S. 48 (1919)
Chicago, R. I. & P. R. Co. v. Cole, 251 U.S. 54 (1919)
Bragg v. Weaver, 251 U.S. 57 (1919)
St. Louis, I. M. & S. R. Co. v. Williams, 251 U.S. 63 (1919)
Corsicana Nat. Bank of Corsicana v. Johnson, 251 U.S. 68 (1919)
Wagner v. City of Covington, 251 U.S. 95 (1919)
Oklahoma R. Co. v. Severns Paving Co., 251 U.S. 104 (1919)
Evans v. National Bank of Savannah, 251 U.S. 108 (1919)
Peters v. Veasey, 251 U.S. 121 (1919)
New York, N. H. & H. R. Co. v. United States, 251 U.S. 123 (1919)
United States v. Board of Comm'rs of Osage Cty., 251 U.S. 128 (1919)
Bone v. Commissioners of Marion Cty., 251 U.S. 134 (1919)
Hamilton v. Kentucky Distilleries & Warehouse Co., 251 U.S. 146 (1919)
Sullivan v. Shreveport, 251 U.S. 169 (1919)
Hardin-Wyandot Lighting Co. v. Upper Sandusky, 251 U.S. 173 (1919)
Godchaux Co. v. Estopinal, 251 U.S. 179 (1919)
Branson v. Bush, 251 U.S. 182 (1919)
Winchester v. Winchester Water Works Co., 251 U.S. 192 (1920)
St. Louis, I. M. & S. R. Co. v. United States, 251 U.S. 198 (1920)
United States v. Standard Brewery, Inc., 251 U.S. 210 (1920)
United States v. Poland, 251 U.S. 221 (1920)
Producers Transp. Co. v. Railroad Comm'n of Cal., 251 U.S. 228 (1920)
Hayes v. Port of Seattle, 251 U.S. 233 (1920)
Schall v. Camors, 251 U.S. 239 (1920)
Mergenthaler Linotype Co. v. Davis, 251 U.S. 256 (1920)
Southern Pacific Co. v. Industrial Accident Comm'n of Cal., 251 U.S. 259 (1920)
Jacob Ruppert v. Caffey, 251 U.S. 264 (1920)
Duhne v. New Jersey, 251 U.S. 311 (1920)
Western Union Telegraph Co. v. Boegli, 251 U.S. 315 (1920)
Birge-Forbes Co. v. Heye, 251 U.S. 317 (1920)
The Mail Divisor Cases, 251 U.S. 326 (1920)
Maryland Casualty Co. v. United States, 251 U.S. 342 (1920)
Eastern Extension, Australasia & China Telegraph Co. v. United States, 251 U.S. 355 (1920)
Napa Valley Elec. Co. v. Railroad Comm'n of Cal., 251 U.S. 366 (1920)
Chipman, Ltd. v. Thomas B. Jeffery Co., 251 U.S. 373 (1920)
Stroud v. United States, 251 U.S. 380 (1920)
Rex v. United States, 251 U.S. 382 (1920)
Silverthorne Lumber Co. v. United States, 251 U.S. 385 (1920)
Henry v. United States, 251 U.S. 393 (1920)
Brooks-Scanlon Co. v. Railroad Comm'n of La., 251 U.S. 396 (1920)
Board of Pub. Util. Comm'rs v. Ynchausti & Co., 251 U.S. 401 (1920)
United States v. Thompson, 251 U.S. 407 (1920)
United States v. United States Steel Corp., 251 U.S. 417 (1920)
Schaefer v. United States, 251 U.S. 466 (1920)
Carbon Steel Co. v. Lewellyn, 251 U.S. 501 (1920)
Worth Brothers Co. v. Lederer, 251 U.S. 507 (1920)
Forged Steel Wheel Co. v. Lewellyn, 251 U.S. 511 (1920)
Dunbar v. City of New York, 251 U.S. 516 (1920)
The South Coast, 251 U.S. 519 (1920)
Bates v. Dresser, 251 U.S. 524 (1920)
Fort Smith Lumber Co. v. Arkansas ex rel. Arbuckle, 251 U.S. 532 (1920)McNamara Island
McNamara Island is a mainly ice-covered island, 11 kilometres (6 nmi) long, which is partly within the north edge of the Abbot Ice Shelf, Antarctica, about 20 nautical miles (37 km) east of Dustin Island. It was discovered by Rear Admiral Byrd and members of the United States Antarctic Service on flights from the USS Bear, February 27, 1940, and was named by Byrd for John McNamara, boatswain on the Jacob Ruppert of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition of 1933–35.Mount Fulton
Mount Fulton (76°53′S 144°54′W) is a mountain, 900 metres (3,000 ft) high, between Mount Passel and Mount Gilmour in the Denfeld Mountains of the Ford Ranges in Marie Byrd Land, Antarctica. It was mapped by the United States Antarctic Service (1939–41) led by Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, and was named for R. Arthur Fulton who was of great assistance in arranging the insurance for the Jacob Ruppert, one of the ships used by the Byrd Antarctic Expedition (1933–35).Newark Bears (International League)
The Newark Bears were a Minor League Baseball team in the International League, beginning in 1917 at the Double-A level. They played in the International League through the 1949 season, except for 1920 and part of the 1925 season. In the Bears' last four seasons in the International League (1946–1949), they were a Triple-A team, the highest classification in minor league baseball. They played their home games at Ruppert Stadium in what is now known as the Ironbound section of Newark; the stadium was demolished in 1967. The 1932, 1937, 1938, and 1941 Bears were recognized as being among the 100 greatest minor league teams of all time.Players in the Bears' early years who had Major League careers include Eddie Rommel, who pitched for the International League Newark Bears in 1918 and 1919. Harry Baldwin played three seasons for the Newark Bears (1921–1923) before playing for the New York Giants. Fred Brainard, who also played for the New York Giants 1914–1916, later played for the Newark Bears between 1922–1924 and was the Bears' player-manager in 1923 and 1924. Other former Major League players who managed the Newark Bears include Hall of Fame members Walter Johnson in 1928 and player-manager Tris Speaker in 1929–1930.Newark was a hotbed of minor league baseball from the time of the formation of the Newark Indians in 1902, and the addition of the Newark Eagles of the Negro National Leagues in 1936. A Federal League team, the Newark Peppers, played in 1915.
in 1931 Jacob Ruppert bought the Newark Bears who played at Ruppert Stadium in Newark, New Jersey, and begin building the farm system for the Yankees. In 1937, as a farm club of the New York Yankees, the Bears featured one of the most potent lineups in baseball, including Charlie Keller, Joe Gordon, Spud Chandler and George McQuinn, among others. They won the pennant by 25½ games to become known as one of the greatest minor league teams of all time. Their legacy was ensured when, after trailing 3 games to 0, they won the last four games against the Columbus Red Birds of the American Association to capture the Junior World Series.
Following the 1949 season, the Bears moved to Springfield, Massachusetts. Their departure, and the departure of the Eagles a year before, left Newark without professional baseball for nearly 50 years, until the formation of the Atlantic League Bears (see above).
One of the Bears' players, veteran pitcher George Earl Toolson, was reassigned by the Yankees to the AA Binghamton Triplets for the 1950 season. He refused to report and sued, challenging baseball's reserve clause in Toolson v. New York Yankees, which went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The justices upheld the clause and baseball's antitrust exemption, 7–2.Pius L. Schwert
Pius Louis Schwert (November 22, 1892 – March 11, 1941) was a politician and baseball player. He was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from New York.
Schwert was born in Angola, New York. He graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1914. He played baseball for the New York Yankees from 1914 until 1915. He opened a general store in Angola in 1916, and played minor league baseball for the Newark Indians in 1916 and the Mobile Sea Gulls in 1917.
He served in the United States Navy during World War I, serving first at the Bremerton Navy Yard, and later at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. He attained the rank of ensign before his discharge at the end of the war.
Schwert worked at the Bank of Angola after the war, and served as its president from 1921 to 1931. He also played for the minor league Buffalo Bisons from 1920 to 1922.
He was Erie County Clerk from 1934 to 1938. In 1938 Schwert was elected to Congress. He was reelected in 1940, and served from January 3, 1939 until his death in Washington, D.C. on March 11, 1941. He was buried at Forest Avenue Cemetery in Angola.
Although Jacob Ruppert had served in Congress before buying the Yankees in 1915, Schwert is the only former Yankee to have served in Congress.Ruppert
Ruppert is both a surname and a given name. Notable people with the name include:
Jacob Ruppert (1867–1939), National Guard colonel, U.S. Representative from New York, brewery owner, owner of the New York Yankees
James Ruppert (born 1934), responsible for the deadliest shooting inside a private residence in American history
Michael Ruppert, founder and editor of From The Wilderness, dedicated to investigating political cover-ups
Ralph Ruppert, German Record Producer, relocated to London in 1985
Wilhelm Ruppert (1905–1946), SS trooper in charge of executions at Dachau concentration camp executed for war crimesGiven name:
Ruppert Jones (born 1955), former Major League Baseball outfielder
Ruppert L. Sargent (1938–1967), United States Army officer and a recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Vietnam WarRuppert Stadium (Newark)
Ruppert Stadium was a baseball stadium in Newark, New Jersey, in the area now known as the Ironbound. Originally named Davids' Stadium after Charles L. Davids, owner of the Newark Bears, it was home to the minor league Newark Bears of the International League from 1926 to 1949, and to the Negro League Newark Stars in 1926 and Newark Eagles from 1936 to 1948. It was also the home field of the short-lived Newark Bears of the first American Football League in 1926. The stadium was named for Jacob Ruppert, a baseball team owner who built the farm system of the New York Yankees.In October 1952, the Yankees organization announced their intention to tear down the 14,000-seat stadium and sell the land for real estate development. The local Board of Education stepped in to purchase the stadium for $275,000 and converted the property into a school recreation center. In 1967 the stadium was demolished and the land was sold again the following year to the Vita Food Products company, which built a food plant on the site.Saint Basil Academy (Garrison, New York)
Saint Basil Academy is a residential school for at-risk students run by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America in Garrison, New York, United States. It is located at Eagle's Rest, previously the estate of Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees in the early 20th century, between NY 9D and the Hudson River.
During Ruppert's lifetime many Yankees players, including Babe Ruth, were frequent visitors. After his death, the estate remained vacant until 1944, when Archbishop Athenagoras acquired the property for the church and founded the school. In 1982 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in recognition of both Ruppert's historical importance and its well-preserved early Twentieth-century architecture.The Rattlesnake (Remington)
The Rattlesnake is an equestrian sculpture by American artist Frederic Remington. The bronze sculpture was one of Remington's most popular, after The Broncho Buster, and it has been described as Remington's own favorite sculpture.
The work depicts a cowboy riding a horse that is rearing up in fright, twisting away from a rattlesnake on the base. The rider, with moustache and woolly chaps, leans forward, gripping the horse's mane with one hand and holding on to his hat with the other.
Remington completed a plaster model in January 1905, which was cast in bronze by the Roman Bronze Works using the lost wax process. Eleven bronzes had been cast from this first model, 20.5 inches (520 mm) high, by 1908, when Remington became dissatisfied with the original design.
Over a period of ten days, Remington reworked the plaster model. The revisions increased the tension of its pose by changing the position of the horse's legs, tucking in its forelegs and straightening the rear legs, and also increased the fluid curvature of the piece by moving the rider's stance further forward. The changes added about 4 inches (100 mm) to its height. Around 100 authorised casts were made of the new version before 1921, but many unauthorised posthumous casts were made later by the Roman Bronze Works. An example is held by the Metropolitan Museum of Art which measures 58.7 by 45.1 by 36.8 centimetres (23.1 in × 17.8 in × 14.5 in), bequeathed by Jacob Ruppert in 1939. An example was sold by Christie's in 2009 for US$134,500, and another in 2011 for US$92,500
A cast was displayed in the Oval Office by US Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush, along with another Remington bronze The Bronco Buster. An enlarged version made in 1999 is displayed at Jonesboro, Arkansas.Tillinghast L'Hommedieu Huston
Tillinghast L'Hommedieu Huston (July 17, 1867 – March 29, 1938), popularly known as Cap Huston, was co-owner of the Major League Baseball team that became the New York Yankees with Jacob Ruppert from 1915 to 1922. They had purchased the club from Frank J. Farrell and William S. Devery. In 1922, Huston retired and sold his share to Ruppert for $1.50 million.William H. Douglas
William Harris Douglas (December 5, 1853 – January 27, 1944) was a U.S. Representative from New York.William Stephen Devery
William Stephen "Big Bill" Devery (January 9, 1854 – June 20, 1919) was the last superintendent of the New York City Police Department police commission and the first police chief in 1898. Devery and Frank J. Farrell later co-owned the New York Yankees baseball team.
|Division titles (17)|
|Wild Card titles (7)|
Book:New York Yankees Category:New York Yankees Portal:New York Yankees
|New York Highlanders / Yankees|
Italics denotes players who have been voted in but not yet inducted.
|J. G. Taylor Spink Award|
|Ford C. Frick Award|