The Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) was a British professional organisation of electronics, electrical, manufacturing, and Information Technology professionals, especially electrical engineers. It began in 1871 as the Society of Telegraph Engineers. In 2006, it ceased to exist independently, becoming part of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
The IEE was founded in 1871 as the Society of Telegraph Engineers, changed its name in 1880 to the Society of Telegraph Engineers and Electricians and changed to the Institution of Electrical Engineers in 1889. It was Incorporated by a Royal Charter in 1921.
In 1980 the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) merged with the Institution of Electronic and Radio Engineers (IERE), originally the British Institution of Radio Engineers (Brit IRE).
In 2006, the IEE merged with the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (IIE) to form the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). Before the merger, the IEE was the largest professional engineering society in Europe, with a worldwide membership of around 120,000. Discussions about this formation had started in 2004 between the IEE and the IIE about the formation of a new institution, the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). Following the vote with a majority of its members supporting this merger, the IET was established on March 31, 2006.