Ian Robert Horrocks FRS is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Oxford in the UK and a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. His research focuses on knowledge representation and reasoning, particularly ontology languages, description logic and optimised tableaux decision procedures.
Horrocks completed his Bachelor of Science, Master of Science (1995) and Doctor of Philosophy (1997) degrees in the School of Computer Science at the University of Manchester. After several years as a lecturer, senior lecturer, Reader then Professor in Manchester, he moved to the University of Oxford in 2008.
His work on tableau reasoning for very expressive description logics has formed the basis of most description logic reasoning systems in use today, including Racer, FaCT++, HermiT and Pellet.
Professor Horrocks was jointly responsible for development of the OIL and DAML+OIL ontology languages, and he played a central role in the development of the Web Ontology Language OWL. These languages and associated tools have been used by the Open Biomedical Ontologies Consortium, the National Cancer Institute in America, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization the World Wide Web Consortium and a whole range of major corporations and government agencies.
His research is partly funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
Horrocks is the current Editor-in-chief of the Journal of Web Semantics and has been program chair for the International Semantic Web Conference.
Awards and honours
Horrocks was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2011 and the BCS Roger Needham Award in 2005.
- ^ HORROCKS, Prof. Ian Robert. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (online edition via Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc.
- ^ Grosof, B. N.; Horrocks, I.; Volz, R.; Decker, S. (2003). "Description logic programs". Proceedings of the twelfth international conference on World Wide Web - WWW '03. p. 48. doi:10.1145/775152.775160. ISBN 1581136803.
- ^ a b Professor Ian Horrocks, Roger Needham award winners, via the British Computer Society
- ^ a b c d Professor Ian Horrocks FRS at the Royal Society of London
- ^ a b Ian Horrocks publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/ian.horrocks/ Ian Horrocks homepage at the University of Oxford
- ^ Ian Horrocks at DBLP Bibliography Server
- ^ List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- ^ Horrocks, I.; Patel-Schneider, Peter; van Harmelen, Frank (2003). "From SHIQ and RDF to OWL: The making of a Web Ontology Language" (PDF). Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web. 1: 7–26. doi:10.1016/j.websem.2003.07.001.
- ^ Ian Horrocks's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- ^ Ian Horrocks author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- ^ Atzenbeck, C. (2009). "Interview with Ian Horrocks". ACM SIGWEB Newsletter: 1. doi:10.1145/1592394.1592396.
- ^ Horrocks, Ian Robert (1995). A comparison of two terminological knowledge representation systems (MSc thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- ^ Horrocks, Ian Robert (1997). Optimising tableaux decision procedures for description logics (PDF) (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- ^ Tsarkov, D.; Horrocks, I. (2006). "FaCT++ Description Logic Reasoner: System Description". Automated Reasoning (PDF). Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 4130. pp. 292–297. doi:10.1007/11814771_26. ISBN 978-3-540-37187-8.
- ^ "HermiT Reasoner: Home". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- ^ B. Motik, R. Shearer and I. Horrocks (2009). "Hypertableau Reasoning for Description Logics" (PDF). Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research. 36: 165–228. doi:10.1613/jair.2811.
- ^ Motik, B.; Cuenca Grau, B.; Sattler, U. (2008). "Structured objects in owl: representation and reasoning". Proceedings of the 17th international conference on World Wide Web - WWW '08 (PDF). p. 555. doi:10.1145/1367497.1367573. ISBN 9781605580852.
- ^ Sirin, E.; Parsia, B.; Grau, B. C.; Kalyanpur, A.; Katz, Y. (2007). "Pellet: A practical OWL-DL reasoner" (PDF). Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web. 5 (2): 51–53. doi:10.1016/j.websem.2007.03.004. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 June 2007.
- ^ Golbreich, C.; Horridge, M.; Horrocks, I.; Motik, B.; Shearer, R. (2007). "OBO and OWL: Leveraging Semantic Web Technologies for the Life Sciences". The Semantic Web (PDF). Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 4825. pp. 169–182. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-76298-0_13. ISBN 978-3-540-76297-3.
- ^ Ian Horrocks introduction on the www-webont-wg mailing list at the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- ^ UK Government research grants awarded to Ian Horrocks, via Research Councils UK
- ^ Ian Horrocks appointed editor in chief of the Journal of Web Semantics, 1 July 2012
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.