Houndhill is a substantial Grade II listed Tudor Farmhouse (part timber-framed) in Worsbrough, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
The present house, which dates from the late 16th century with 17th-century additions, was originally built by Robert Elmhirst. His son Richard Elmhirst, who sided with the Royalists, constructed the fortifications in 1642 at the beginning of the English Civil War. It was extensively renovated in 1934.
The house is built in ashlar, with a stone slate roof in two storeys to an H-shaped plan. The older wing is timber framed.
The first specific reference to land at Houndhill appears in a lawsuit of 1556, but it is not known when the land was acquired or when the first house was built there. However, the first known reference to the family of Elmhirst living in the district appears in the Rockley Manor Court Rolls of 1340 (The Manor of Rockley adjoined the Manor of Worsbrough) when Roger Elmhirst was fined four pence for allowing his two horses to stray into the meadow of the Lord of the Manor. When Richard Elmhirst was involved in a lawsuit following his father's death in 1618 he deposed that: "Houndhill and Elmhirst are both copyhold and had been demised to his ancestors for twelve descents last past."
Richard Elmhirst inherited Houndhill in 1626 after the lawsuit following his father’s death. During this period Richard was employed by Sir Thomas Wentworth who made him Deputy Collector of Recusant Rents in York. Siding with King Charles I, Richard fortified Houndhill (probably in 1642) by constructing two towers and an incomplete surrounding wall. Tradition has it that Houndhill was taken rather easily by Sir Thomas Fairfax in the summer of 1643: "On Sir Thomas coming in person to demand the surrender of Houndhill, Elmhirst immediately complied with this demand, and would have been killed by some of the soldiers, but Sir Thomas, who had a kindness for him, prevented it."
In 1645 Richard had to face Cromwell’s sequestrators to reveal his wealth. After a lengthy and contested enquiry he was ordered to pay a fine of £666, which was finally paid in 1650. Richard died in 1654 leaving a wife and nine children. It appears that Richard was granted the Elmhirst Arms in 1647, well before Dugdale’s visitation in 1665, which confirmed Richard's right to bear arms.
When Richard’s son, also Richard Elmhirst, died in 1673 some of his land passed to his brother William, but Houndhill and the rest of his wealth passed to his daughter Elizabeth who married John Copley. Houndhill subsequently passed into the ownership of Capt F.W.T.V.Wentworth.
In 1932 Alfred O Elmhirst negotiated the re-purchase of Houndhill on behalf of his brother, the noted philanthropist Leonard Knight Elmhirst. Houndhill then underwent substantial restoration. In 1950 it was gifted by Leonard Elmhirst to A.O.Elmhirst who lived at Houndhill from 1932 until his death in 1995. Their brother was Air Marshal Sir Thomas Elmhirst, Commander-in-Chief Royal Indian Air Force and Lieutenant-Governor of Guernsey.
Houndhill and its surrounding farmland suffered from severe coal mining subsidence for most of the 20th century although the family benefited from the mining royalties paid during the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century. In 1972 the character of the valley below Houndhill was changed when the M1 motorway was routed through it. The house and the surrounding land remain in the possession of the family which can now record continuous ownership of land in Worsbrough for more than 20 generations.
Details of the family appear in Burke’s Landed Gentry although the pedigree in that book is incomplete as it does not show Richard Elmhirst (1738–1805) who was the third son of Thomas Elmhirst (1692–1769). Richard’s son Philip (1781–1866) was a Midshipman on HMS Africa (1781) at the Battle of Trafalgar for which he was granted 2000 acres of land near Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. He was joined there by his brother Joseph, who had eight children. Some of that land is still owned by Elmhirsts who are very numerous in Canada. So far as is known, all living Elmhirsts are descended from Thomas Elmhirst (1649–1696) an Alderman and merchant of Boston, Lincolnshire, England.
Barnsley () is a town in South Yorkshire, England, located halfway between Leeds and Sheffield. Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the town centre lies on the west bank of the Dearne Valley. Barnsley is surrounded by several smaller settlements which together form the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, of which Barnsley is the largest and its administrative centre. At the 2011 Census, Barnsley had a population of 91,297.Barnsley is a former industrial town centred on linen in its former years and coal mining, glassmaking and textiles. The industries declined in the 20th century. Barnsley's culture is rooted in its industrial heritage and it has a tradition of brass bands, originally created as social clubs by its mining communities. It is also home of the Barnsley chop.
The town is accessed from junctions 36, 37 and 38 of the M1 motorway and has a railway station on the Hallam and Penistone Lines. Barnsley F.C. is the local football club, which has competed in the second tier of British football for most of its history. Barnsley F.C. also won the FA Cup in 1912.
The town of Barnsley also has a Women's Football Club which is in the fourth tier of Women's Football. Barnsley Women's Football Club was formed in 1982 and finished 4th in the FA Women's National League Division 1 North in the 2018/19 Season.Castles in South Yorkshire
While there are many castles in South Yorkshire, the majority are manor houses and motte-and-bailey which were commonly found in England after the Norman Conquest.Grade II* listed buildings in South Yorkshire
There are over 20,000 Grade II* listed buildings in England. This list includes those in South Yorkshire.Leonard Knight Elmhirst
Leonard Knight Elmhirst (6 June 1893 – 16 April 1974) was a philanthropist and agronomist who worked extensively in India. He was co-founder with his wife Dorothy of the Dartington Hall project in progressive education and rural reconstruction.List of country houses in the United Kingdom
This is intended to be as full a list as possible of country houses, castles, palaces, other stately homes, and manor houses in the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands; any architecturally notable building which has served as a residence for a significant family or a notable figure in history. The list includes smaller castles, abbeys and priories that were converted into a private residence, and also buildings now within urban areas which retain some of their original character, whether now with or without extensive gardens.Listed buildings in Marchington
Marchington is a civil parish in the district of East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, England. The parish contains 28 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, three are listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The parish contains the villages of Marchington and Marchington Woodlands and the surrounding countryside. Most of the listed buildings are houses and cottages with associated structures, farmhouses and farm buildings, the earliest of which are timber framed. The other listed buildings include churches, memorials in a churchyard, a small country house, three mileposts, and a telephone kiosk.Thomas Elmhirst
Air Marshal Sir Thomas Walker Elmhirst, (15 December 1895 – 6 November 1982) was a senior commander in the Royal Air Force in the first half of the 20th century and the first commander-in-chief of the newly independent Indian Air Force where he organised the funeral of Mahatma Gandhi following his assassination in 1948. He later became the Lieutenant-Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Guernsey from 1953 to 1958.Worsbrough
Worsbrough is an area about two miles south of Barnsley in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. Worsbrough is historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.