Hollis is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 7,684 at the 2010 census. The town center village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Hollis Village Historic District.
Hollis, New Hampshire
Monument Square with Hollis Town Hall
|Incorporated||April 3, 1746|
|• Board of Selectmen||Mark Le Doux, Chair|
|• Town Administrator||Kim Galipeau|
|• Total||32.3 sq mi (83.7 km2)|
|• Land||31.8 sq mi (82.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2) 1.76%|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
|• Density||240/sq mi (92/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873628|
According to Samuel T. Worcester's history which was commissioned by the town selectmen in 1878, the town was incorporated in the province of New Hampshire on April 3, 1746, "to have continence forever by the name of Holles..."
Worcester argues that, at the time of the charter, Governor Benning Wentworth was indebted to Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle for his appointment as governor. According to Worcester, it was "very much the custom with Gov. Wentworth" to name towns in honor of his friends and patrons. Thus in the same year, the towns of Pelham and Holles were incorporated, and named after the duke. Worcester cites a Mr. Bancroft who,
Thomas Hollis (1659–1731) was a major benefactor of Harvard College. According to Worcester, about the year 1775, town records started appearing with the town's name spelled as "Hollis", after Thomas Hollis. Both spellings were used until about 1815, after which only the name "Hollis" appears, "...while Holles, the name of the Duke of Newcastle, has passed into merited oblivion."
Captain Peter Powers (1707–1757), his wife Anna Keyes (1708–1798), and their two children Peter (1729–1800) and Stephen (b. 1729) were the first settlers of Hollis in 1731. In 1732, the Powers birthed the first child in Hollis, a daughter, also named Anna.:230, 249 According to Spaulding's history,:5 Powers "became a noted backwoodsman and colonial land surveyor," and eventually accrued approximately 1,500 acres (610 ha) in the north part of Hollis. Powers was also a militia officer in the French and Indian Wars and was commissioned captain by Governor Wentworth.:5
The younger Peter was the first college graduate from Hollis, matriculating from Harvard in 1754. He served as pastor of churches throughout New England and died at the age of 71 in Deer Island, Maine.:287
The following is from Worcester's History of Hollis:
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 32.3 square miles (84 km2), of which 31.8 sq mi (82 km2) is land and 0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2) is water, comprising 1.76% of the town. The highest point in Hollis is the summit of Birch Hill, at 821 feet (250 m) above sea level, located near the town's western border.
The Nashua River flows through the southeast corner of the town out of Pepperell, Massachusetts and into Nashua. The Nissitissit River flows through the western part of the town. Hollis lies fully within the Merrimack River watershed.
As with many of the towns on the New Hampshire border with Massachusetts, Hollis is rapidly changing from mixed-use farmland (apple orchards, corn, pumpkins, and other vegetables) to a bedroom community for the 54% of working residents who work elsewhere in New Hampshire, and the 30% who work out of state. Significant new development projects continue to be started, to the concern of some of the longer-term residents who have concerns about pressure on the town's school system and impact on open space.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,015 people, 2,440 households, and 2,025 families residing in the town. The population density was 221.0 people per square mile (85.3/km²). There were 2,491 housing units at an average density of 78.5 per square mile (30.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.59% White, 0.44% African American, 0.11% Native American, 1.65% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 1.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.93% of the population.
There were 2,440 households out of which 42.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.9% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.0% were non-families. 13.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the town, the population was spread out with 29.6% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 29.8% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $92,847, and the median income for a family was $104,737. Males had a median income of $76,025 versus $46,161 for females. The per capita income for the town was $44,936. About 2.8% of families and 2.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.7% of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
|Historical Population of Hollis|
The table to the right and nearby chart, taken primarily from historical data from the U.S. Census Bureau, shows the population of Hollis from 1767 through 2010.                 
After nearly doubling in population over the last 33 years of the 18th century, Hollis' population consistently declined (excepting only the decade of the 1850s and the first decade of the 20th century) for 120 years, not returning to the levels of 1800 until sometime during the 1950s. Since 1930, Hollis' population has consistently grown, particularly during the 1950s, '60s, and '70s.
Hollis has a number of town traditions and celebrations characteristic of old New England towns, including two harvest festivals and the annual celebration "Old Home Days."
Hollis Old Home Days is "an annual weekend celebration of the days of 'Hollis Past'." "Old Home Days" were originally established in New Hampshire in 1899, by then Governor Frank West Rollins, in an attempt to draw people back to New Hampshire towns. Hollis Old Home Days was reestablished in 1996 in commemoration of the town's 250th anniversary. The 2010 event included "amusement rides, parade, barbecue, silent auction, booths, fireworks, live music, balloon rides, pet parade, heritage craft demonstrations" and various other activities. It is generally held over the second weekend in September at Nichols Field in downtown Hollis.
The annual Strawberry Festival each June comprises a concert by the town band accompanied by a variety of strawberry-based treats for sale including strawberry shortcake, pie and ice cream made from locally grown strawberries.
The Hollis Apple Festival is held each year in October and includes a concert by the Hollis Town Band. The festival previously included the Applefest Half Marathon, first run in 1983. In 2008, it was named "Race of the Year" by New England Runner. The Applefest was co-hosted by the Hollis Women's Club.
As of 2010, Hollis was part of the following state and federal legislative and executive districts:
|New Hampshire House of Representatives||Hillsborough 27 and 40||District 40 includes Milford, Mont Vernon, and New Boston|
|New Hampshire Senate||12||Including Rindge, New Ipswich, Greenville, Mason, Brookline, Hollis, and part of Nashua|
|Executive Council of New Hampshire||5||Southwestern New Hampshire from Swanzey to Hudson and north to Hillsborough|
|U.S. Congress||2||Western New Hampshire including Nashua, Concord, Plymouth and Keene and north to the Canada–US border|
There are four schools in Hollis, two of which are part of the Hollis/Brookline Cooperative School District. Hollis Primary School serves kindergarten through third grade, and Hollis Upper Elementary School serves grades four through six. Hollis/Brookline Middle School serves seventh and eighth grade and Hollis/Brookline High School serves grades nine through twelve. For many years, the current primary school was known as Hollis Elementary School and served kindergarten through grade six. The current Middle School (known as Hollis/Brookline Junior High School until 2001) was formerly Hollis/Brookline High School but proved far too small for the number of students attending. A new building was built and became the Hollis/Brookline Junior High School. However, the three buildings were still insufficient, and a new high school was opened in 1998. The former high school became the current middle school, the former middle school became Hollis Upper Elementary, and the former Hollis Elementary became Hollis Primary. Recently, with the finishing of the newly constructed Montessori building, a new method of education has opened with the school.
The historic Farley Building (formerly known as simply the "White Building") is the original Hollis High School built in 1877 and continued to be used as a school building through the 2005-2006 school year. During this last year for the Farley Building, it contained classrooms for English, social studies, art, French, and Spanish. The Town of Hollis acquired the Farley Building from the Hollis School District in August, 2007.
The Beaver Brook Association is a non-profit nature center and 2,187-acre (885 ha) conservation area in Hollis, Brookline, and Milford, New Hampshire, United States. It takes its name from Beaver Brook, a tributary of the Nissitissit River and Nashua River.Elias "Coach" Korcoulis
Elias Korcoulis, known to his friends as Lou and to thousands others as Coach (1940 – March 4, 2006) was the cross-country and track coach for Hollis/Brookline High School in Hollis, New Hampshire from 1962 until his death. Coach was an alumnus of Manchester High School Central, having lived in Manchester all his life. Coach would then go on to Phillips Exeter Academy and Keene State College. He began working at Hollis/Brookline in 1962 and started the cross-country, winter track, and spring track programs. During his career, Coach led the Hollis/Brookline Cavaliers to twenty-six state championships.Hollis/Brookline High School
Hollis/Brookline High School (HBHS) is a public school located in Hollis, New Hampshire, serving the towns of Hollis and Brookline. It is administered by New Hampshire School Administration Unit (SAU) 41.Hollis Village Historic District
The Hollis Village Historic District encompasses the historic village center of Hollis, New Hampshire. The district is centered on Monument Square, which connects Main Street (New Hampshire Route 122) to Depot Street and Broad Street. It covers about 400 acres (160 ha), and extends along all three of those roads for some distance, and includes properties on Silver Lake Road and Ash Street. Most of the buildings in the district are residential or agricultural in use, and date before the turn of the 20th century; the oldest buildings date to the mid-18th century. The "Always Ready Engine House", which occupies a triangular parcel at the western end of Monument Square, was built in 1859, and is the town's oldest municipal building. Its most architecturally sophisticated building is the town hall, built in 1887 to a design by William Butterfield of Manchester. The district represents the growth of a mainly agricultural community over a 200-year period. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.The area that is now Hollis was originally part of Dunstable, Massachusetts, and was incorporated in 1740 as "West Dunstable"; it was renamed "Holles" in 1746 by New Hampshire's colonial governor Benning Wentworth. It was first settled in 1730 by Peter Powers, who built a house (no longer standing) near 8 Silver Lake Road in the district. The civic portions of the district, including Monument Square, the cemetery, and the site of the first meeting house, were given to the town by Abraham Taylor in 1740, and the Congregational society was organized in 1743. The town reached its pre-20th century population peak about 1800, after which it saw a steady exodus of farmers to better lands in the Old Northwest. In the late 19th century a small number of summer estates were built in the town, but it remained largely agricultural into the late 20th century, when it began to acquire a more suburban character.Jacob Abbot Cummings
Jacob Abbot Cummings (1773–1820) was a bookseller, publisher, schoolteacher and author in Boston, Massachusetts, in the early 19th-century.James A. Squires
James A. Squires is an American railroad executive who is the president, chief executive officer, and executive chairman of Norfolk Southern Railway.
Squires was born in Hollis, New Hampshire, and has degrees from Amherst College and the University of Chicago Law School. He joined Norfolk Southern in 1992, and after working his way up the executive chain at the company was promoted to president in 2013. He was appointed to the CEO position, replacing Charles Moorman, in June 2015, and later in the year took over Moorman's role as Executive Chairman of NS' board as well.Leonard Bailey (inventor)
Leonard Bailey (1825-05-08 in Hollis, New Hampshire – 1905-02-05 in New York City) was a toolmaker/cabinet maker from Massachusetts, United States, who in the mid-to-late nineteenth century patented several features of woodworking equipment. Most prominent of those patents were the planes manufactured by the Stanley Rule & Level Co. (now Stanley Black & Decker) of New Britain, Connecticut.Commonly known as Stanley/Bailey planes, these planes were prized by woodworkers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and remain popular by today's wood craftsman. A type study of his patented planes and the rest of the Stanley line may be found at Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore".Bailey's design ideas are still utilized by Stanley and other plane manufacturers to this day.Marion Nichols Summer Home
The Marion Nichols Summer House is a historic house at 56 Love Lane in Hollis, New Hampshire, on the grounds of the Beaver Brook Reservation. Built in 1935 for a wealthy widow, it is a locally rare example of a house built expressly as a summer residence. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It is now maintained by the Beaver Brook Association as an event facility.Nissitissit River
The Nissitissit River is a 10.5-mile-long (16.9 km) river located in southern New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts in the United States. It is a tributary of the Nashua River, itself a tributary of the Merrimack River, which flows to the Gulf of Maine. This river is part of the Nashua River Watershed.
The Nissitissit River begins at the outlet of Potanipo Pond in the town of Brookline, New Hampshire. It flows southeast at a very mild gradient, crossing the southwest corner of Hollis, New Hampshire before entering Massachusetts, where it joins the Nashua River in the town of Pepperell.Noah Worcester
Noah Worcester (November 25, 1758 – October 31, 1837) was a Unitarian clergyman and a seminal figure in history of American pacifism.Patrick Joseph McGovern
Patrick Joseph McGovern, Jr. (August 11, 1937 – March 19, 2014) was an American businessman, known for being chairman and co-founder of International Data Group (IDG), a company that includes subsidiaries in technology publishing, research, event management and venture capital.
He was listed on the Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans in September, 2013 as having a net worth of $5.1 billion.Pennichuck Brook
Pennichuck Brook is one of the tributaries of the Merrimack River in New Hampshire in the United States. Its watershed is 31 square miles (80 km2) and is one of the 14 subwatersheds of the Merrimack River. It passes through Nashua and Merrimack, New Hampshire and serves as the public water supply for greater Nashua.Ralph Emerson (theologian)
Ralph Emerson (Aug. 18, 1787 – May 26, 1863) was Professor of Ecclesiastical History and Pastoral Theology in the Andover Theological Seminary.
He was born on August 18, 1787, in Hollis, New Hampshire, where his father was a leading citizen, and where his grandfather, Rev. Daniel Emerson, was a pastor from 1743 to 1801. He graduated from Yale College in 1811. After studying theology at Andover, he held the office of Tutor in Yale College, from 1814 to 1816, and at the close of this service he was ordained and installed as pastor of the Congregational Church in Norfolk, Connecticut. Here he remained till 1829, when he was appointed professor in the Theological Seminary at Andover, an office which he retained through a period of twenty-five years till April, 1854. The next five years he resided at Newburyport, Massachusetts, after which he removed to Rockford, Illinois, for the sake of being near his children. While there, he repeated by request his lectures on the History of Christian Doctrine, to the students of the Chicago Theological Seminary. He was a contributor to the Bibliotheca Sacra and the Christian Spectator, and to other religious periodicals. He also published a life of his brother, the Reverend Joseph Emerson, and a translation, with notes, of a work on Augustinism and Pelagianism, by C. F. Wiggins.
He received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Yale College in 1830.
He was married in 1817 to Miss Eliza Rockwell who survived him. Three of his sons, including Joseph Emerson, entered the ministry, and one was a lawyer. One of his daughters was noted clubwoman Charlotte Emerson Brown. He died at Rockford, Illinois, May 26, 1863, aged nearly 76. A sermon was preached at his funeral by his son-in-law, Rev Prof. Haven, and his body was interred at Beloit, Wisconsin.
This article incorporates public domain material from the Yale Obituary Record.Samuel E. Smith
Samuel Emerson Smith (March 12, 1788 – March 4, 1860) was an American politician from Maine. Smith served as the tenth Governor of Maine.Samuel T. Worcester
Samuel Thomas Worcester (August 30, 1804 – December 6, 1882) was a U.S. Representative from Ohio.
Born in Hollis, New Hampshire, Worcester attended Phillips Academy and graduated from Harvard University in 1830. He studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1835 and began practice in Norwalk, Ohio. He served as member of the Ohio State Senate in 1849 and 1850, and served as judge of the Court of Common Pleas in 1859 and 1860.
Worcester was elected as a Republican to the Thirty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of John Sherman and served from July 4, 1861, to March 3, 1863. He resumed the practice of law and engaged in literary pursuits. He died in Nashua, New Hampshire, on December 6, 1882.
He was interred in the South Cemetery, Hollis, New Hampshire.Samuel Worcester (theologian)
Samuel Worcester (1 November 1770, Hollis, New Hampshire – 7 June 1821, Brainerd, Tennessee) was a United States clergyman noted for his participation in a controversy over Unitarianism.Silver Lake (Hollis, New Hampshire)
Silver Lake, formerly known as Long Pond, is a small lake in the town of Hollis, New Hampshire, United States. The lake was formerly surrounded by summer vacation cottages and camps, but most of these buildings have now been converted for use as year-round homes. Silver Lake State Park occupies the northern end of the lakeshore.
The lake is located on NH Route 122, north of the Hollis traffic light. The lake at its deepest is 24 feet (7.3 m) deep, and there is a deep channel running down the middle of the lake that ranges from 16 to 28 feet (4.9 to 8.5 m) at the deepest. Fish species include largemouth bass, yellow perch, sunfish, pickerel, hornpout/catfish, and a few very large common carp. The lake's depth and continual supply of cold, clean water from below can support both rainbow and brown trout.
The lake has many natural springs that provide fresh, clean water, and the small dam at the north end of the lake near the state park controls the level and output. The output flows under NH 122 and goes into Dunklee Pond which then outflows to Pennichuck Brook, a tributary of the Merrimack River.
The lake has no public boat launch, although parking at the state park can allow carry-in boats, sailboats, kayaks and other small boats. The lake has restricted hours that allow for boats to go above 10 miles per hour (16 km/h), but has no horsepower limit.
The lake has been tested for acceptable bacteria levels, and as of 2006 the State of New Hampshire had deemed the lake acceptable for swimming.
In the early 1900s when the lake was called Long Pond, it housed two dance halls, Wallace Grove and Morrills Grove. These dance halls were a very popular retreat on summer nights for many locals, some coming from as far away as Boston. Soldiers would take the train up from Fort Devens with the hope of meeting a special lady. Although both halls are long-closed, the lake remains a summer and winter retreat.Silver Lake State Park (New Hampshire)
Silver Lake State Park is an 80-acre (32 ha) state park located on the northern shore of Silver Lake in the town of Hollis, New Hampshire. The park offers swimming at a sandy beach with a bathhouse, picnicking, and playground equipment, as well as rental of kayaks and paddle boats.The park is located on NH Route 122. Admission is charged when the park is officially open.The Meetinghouse
The Meetinghouse is a historic house on Monument Square in Hollis, New Hampshire. Built in 1744, its oldest portion is a rare regional example of a Georgian period saltbox house. The structure was extended with a new west-facing facade sometime later, and has seen both residential and commercial use. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
|Climate data for Hollis, NH (Nashua, NH Airport)|
|Average high °F||33.4||36.5||45.4||57.0||69.1||77.5||82.5||80.6||72.4||61.4||49.8||38.1||58.6|
|Daily mean °F||22.8||25.6||34.9||45.6||57.0||65.9||70.8||69.0||60.5||49.1||39.4||28.3||47.4|
|Average low °F||12.1||14.6||24.4||34.1||44.9||54.2||59.1||57.3||48.6||36.8||28.9||18.4||36.1|
|Average precipitation inches||3.86||3.09||4.07||3.92||3.66||3.91||3.70||3.78||3.63||3.93||4.17||3.71||45.43|
|Average snowfall inches||15.7||14.4||11.0||1.9||0||0||0||0||0||0||3.3||12.4||58.7|
|Average high °C||0.8||2.5||7.4||13.9||20.6||25.3||28.1||27.0||22.4||16.3||9.9||3.4||14.8|
|Daily mean °C||−5.1||−3.6||1.6||7.6||13.9||18.8||21.6||20.6||15.8||9.5||4.1||−2.1||8.6|
|Average low °C||−11.1||−9.7||−4.2||1.2||7.2||12.3||15.1||14.1||9.2||2.7||−1.7||−7.6||2.3|
|Average precipitation mm||98||78||103||100||93||99||94||96||92||100||106||94||1,154|
|Average snowfall cm||40||37||28||4.8||0||0||0||0||0||0||8.4||31||149|
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.01 in.)||9.8||8.8||10.7||10.4||11.3||11.2||10.0||9.4||9.3||9.4||10.7||10.1||121.1|
|Source: NOAA Climate Data for Nashua NH |
Places adjacent to Hollis, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States