Hill, New Hampshire
Hill Village Bible Church
|• Board of Selectmen||Robert Dupuis|
J. Michael Brady
|• Total||26.9 sq mi (69.6 km2)|
|• Land||26.7 sq mi (69.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2) 0.60%|
|Elevation||453 ft (138 m)|
|• Density||40/sq mi (16/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873624|
Originally granted as New Chester in 1753, the town took the name Hill in 1837 in honor of Isaac Hill, governor of New Hampshire from 1836 to 1839. To accommodate the construction of the Franklin Falls Dam, the village of Hill was relocated in 1941.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 26.9 square miles (69.7 km2), of which 26.7 sq mi (69.2 km2) is land and 0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) is water, comprising 0.60% of the town. The highest point in town is Dickinson Hill, with an approximate elevation of 1,910 feet (580 m) above sea level. Hill lies fully within the Merrimack River watershed.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 992 people, 382 households, and 271 families residing in the town. The population density was 37.1 people per square mile (14.3/km²). There were 436 housing units at an average density of 16.3 per square mile (6.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.99% White, 0.10% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, and 0.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.20% of the population.
There were 382 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.9% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.7% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 31.3% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $48,333, and the median income for a family was $50,000. Males had a median income of $32,120 versus $24,313 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,004. About 2.9% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.2% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Hill has one school, Jennie D. Blake Elementary School, which serves students in kindergarten through sixth grade. The school was named for Jennie Lind Dickerson Blake, a Hill resident who was born on July 16, 1878. As of 2017, 68 students were enrolled in the school.
Auburn is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,953 at the 2010 census, with an estimated population of 5,449 in 2017.Elizabeth Amsden
Elizabeth Amsden (March 27, 1881, Boston – July 20, 1966, Sugar Hill, New Hampshire) was an American operatic soprano and actress. She had an active international opera career during the early 20th century. She also appeared in several small to mid-sized roles in Hollywood films between 1923 and 1946; appearing in a total of 35 motion pictures.Ernest Poole
Ernest Cook Poole (January 23, 1880 – January 10, 1950) was an American journalist, novelist, and playwright. Poole is best remembered for his sympathetic first-hand reportage of revolutionary Russia during and immediately after the Revolution of 1905 and Revolution of 1917 and as a popular writer of proletarian-tinged fiction during the era of World War I and the 1920s.
Poole was the winner of the first Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, awarded in 1918 for his book, His Family.Hill Center Church
The Hill Center Church (formerly the New Chester Meeting House) is a historic church on Murray Hill Road in Hill, New Hampshire. Built in 1799 and extensively altered in 1847, it is a well-preserved example of Gothic Revival architecture, used historically for both religious and civic functions in the town. Now maintained by a local community group, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.Isaac Hill
Isaac Hill (April 6, 1789 – March 22, 1851) was an American politician and newspaper editor who served as a United States Senator and as Governor of New Hampshire. He was a member of the Democratic Party and supported the policies of President Andrew Jackson.Lawrence Gilman
Lawrence Gilman (July 5, 1878 in Flushing, New York – September 8, 1939 in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire) was a U.S. author and music critic.
Lawrence Gilman was the son of Arthur Coit Gilman and Bessie (Lawrence) Gilman, and the grandnephew of educator Daniel Coit Gilman. Lawrence Gilman studied art at Collins Street Classical School in Hartford, Connecticut under William M. Chase. He also taught himself music in theory and practice on several instruments, including organ and piano.
From 1896 to 1898, he worked for the New York Herald, then from 1901 to 1913 as a music critic for Harper's Weekly, where he advanced to the position of managing editor. From 1915 to 1923, he worked as a critic in multiple arts for the North American Review, and for the Herald Tribune from 1925 on.
On August 1, 1904, he married Elizabeth Wright Walter, with whom he had one child, "Betty" Elizabeth Lawrence Gilman in 1905.
Gilman earned later notoriety for his scathing negative reviews of compositions that later became known as classics. He described George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, for example, as trite, feeble, conventional, vapid, fussy, futile, lifeless, stale, derivative and inexpressive. He was similarly dismissive of Gershwin's later Porgy and BessMine Hill (New Hampshire)
Mine Hill is a hill in Rockingham County, New Hampshire. Its summit has an elevation greater than 580 feet (177 m) above sea level, making it one of the two highest points in the town of Auburn. (The other is Mount Miner, which has an elevation of 582 feet (177 m).)Murray Hill Summer Home District
The Murray Hill Summer Home District is a collection of farmhouses and related buildings on Murray Hill Road, a rural road in Hill, New Hampshire. The area is distinctive as a cohesive collection of rural properties that were adapted for use as summer estates between 1873 and 1937, the start date representing an early transition from agricultural to tourist use of such properties in the state. The district has eight farmhouses that were adapted, and two Shingle style houses, as well as one 19th-century district schoolhouse that has been repurposed as a meeting space. All are located on Murray Hill Road between Cass Mill Road and Lynch (Dickerson Hill) Road. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.Murray Hill Road, located in northwestern Hill, very roughly follows a terrace at an elevation of about 1,000 feet (300 m) on the north side of a ridge whose peaks are Page and Dickinson Hills (elevations 1,600 feet (490 m) and 1,800 feet (550 m) respectively). Remnants of the area's agricultural past survive in the form of abandoned roads and farm tracks, and stone walls which line fields and wooded areas. In 1873 John Murdock began buying up land in the area, which he subdivided for the development of summer houses. Land was typically transferred between family members and friends. By the time the state was involved in organized attempts to adapt abandoned farms for the summer tourist trade, the Murray Hill area had for the most part already been transformed. One typical property is the Chandler property, which includes a farmhouse built c. 1810, and operated primarily as a farm until 1878. The owners then began taking in summer boarders to supplement declining farm income. The Chandlers acquired the property in 1927, and began a series of modifications to adapt it as a summer property.Polly's Pancake Parlor
Polly's Pancake Parlor is a restaurant and gift shop in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire, United States. Polly's has been featured in regional and national publications, garnering "glowing reviews" in Road Food, Every Day with Rachael Ray, Cooking with Paula Deen, the Food Network Magazine, New Hampshire Magazine, and Yankee magazine.Potter Stewart
Potter Stewart (January 23, 1915 – December 7, 1985) was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, serving from 1958 to 1981. During his tenure, he made, among other areas, major contributions to criminal justice reform, civil rights, access to the courts, and Fourth Amendment jurisprudence.After graduating from Yale Law School in 1941, Stewart served in World War II as a member of the United States Navy Reserve. After the war, he practiced law and served on the Cincinnati city council. In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower appointed Stewart to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. In 1958, Eisenhower nominated Stewart to succeed retiring Associate Justice Harold Hitz Burton, and Stewart won Senate confirmation the following year. He was frequently in the minority during the Warren Court but emerged as a centrist swing vote on the Burger Court. Stewart retired in 1981 and was succeeded by Sandra Day O'Connor.
Stewart wrote the majority opinion in notable cases such as Jones v. Alfred H. Mayer Co., Katz v. United States, Chimel v. California, and Sierra Club v. Morton. He wrote dissenting opinions in cases such as Engel v. Vitale, In re Gault and Griswold v. Connecticut. His concurring opinion in Jacobellis v. Ohio popularized the phrase "I know it when I see it."Red Devil, Inc.
Red Devil is a manufacturer of caulking, glazing, sealants and related surface preparation tools for glaziers, painters and masons. They are a privately owned family business with manufacturing facilities in Pryor, Oklahoma. The company is currently headquartered in Pryor, Oklahoma.Schuyler V. R. Cammann
Schuyler Van Rensselaer Cammann (February 2, 1912 in New York City – September 9, 1991 in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire) was an anthropologist best known for work in Asia.Sel Hannah
Selden J. Hannah (November 9, 1913 - August 31, 1991) was an intercollegiate, US F.I.S. and seniors ski champion who became one of the nation's most prolific ski-area architects. He was enshrined in the National Ski Hall of Fame in Ishpeming, Michigan, in 1968. His legacy remains throughout New England and North America in more than 250 ski areas with which he was associated during his lifetime.Sugar Hill, New Hampshire
Sugar Hill is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 563 at the 2010 census. The town overlooks the White Mountain National Forest, with views of the Presidential, Franconia, Kinsman and Dalton ranges. Sugar Hill was incorporated as a town in 1962, making it the most recent in New Hampshire to be split from another town.William C. Sullivan
William Cornelius Sullivan (1912–1977) was former head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) intelligence operations.William Thomas State Forest
William Thomas State Forest is a 1,660-acre (670 ha) state forest in the town of Hill, New Hampshire, in the United States. It is named for Harvard University class of 1945 graduate and B-24 Liberator pilot William H. Thomas Jr. who used his discharge pay to acquire 60 wooded acres and subsequently expanded his holdings to about 1,700. He had visions of a resort development, but retreated to the area in 1987 and donated the lands to the state of New Hanpshire when he died in 2001. The area reportedly has some double track but no single track trails.Windmill Hill (Dublin, New Hampshire)
Windmill Hill is an historic house on Windmill Hill Road in Dublin, New Hampshire. The 1 1/2 story wood frame house was designed by Boston architect Thomas Byrd Epps, and built in 1934 for Priscilla Prince Whitney. The Colonial Revival house was designed in the spirit of an old New England farmstead. It is in the shape of a wide and flattened U, and is set on the side of Windmill Hill with views to the southeast. Originally built as a summer residence, it has been weatherized for year-round occupation.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Places adjacent to Hill, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties