The Hill–Physick–Keith House, also known as the Hill–Keith–Physick House, the Hill–Physick House, or simply the Physick House, is a historic house museum located at 321 S. 4th Street in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Built 1786, it was the home of Philip Syng Physick (1768–1837), who has been called "the father of American surgery". The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. It is now owned and operated by the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks as a house museum.
|Location||321 S. 4th St.|
|NRHP reference #||71000726|
|Added to NRHP||May 27, 1971|
|Designated NHL||January 7, 1976|
The Hill–Physick–Keith House stands in the southern part of Philadelphia's Center City, freestanding on a parcel bounded by Delancey, Cypress, and South 4th Streets. It is a three-story brick building with Federal styling. It is covered by a hip roof, and has a three-bay main facade whose levels are separated by stone stringcourses. The main entrance is in the center bay, flanked by sidelight windows and topped by a large half-round transom window. The interior is well appointed with original Federal period features, including numerous marble fireplace surrounds. It is decorated in with Federal and Empire style furnishings, including some that belonged to its most famous owner, Philip Syng Physick.
Physick, born in Philadelphia, was trained in London and Edinburgh in surgery, a skill which he brought back to his hometown. He taught surgery and anatomy at the University of Pennsylvania, training an entire generation of new surgeons in the arts he had learned. He was also known for his skills in the operating room, and for the innovative designs of surgical tools he developed.
The house was built in 1786 by wealthy Madeira wine importer Henry Hill. It was the residence of Dr. Physick after separating from his wife, Elizabeth Emlen Physick, in 1815, until his death in 1837. The house later fell into dilapidation. In the late 1960s, publisher Walter Annenberg restored the house and then donated it to the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks. Today the house is the only free-standing Federal mansion remaining in the colonial center of Philadelphia.
The house is now operated as a museum, with the garden replicating one of the early 19th century. It is open Thursdays through Saturdays, noon to 5pm, and Sundays, 1 to 5 pm. The building also serves as the headquarters of the State Society of the Cincinnati of Pennsylvania.
Bathsheba's spring and bower, also known as Bathsheba's bath and bower, was the name of a well-known eighteenth-century property in Philadelphia's Society Hill neighborhood and said to be the first spa of the area. It had a natural spring well with water that was considered to be of exceptional quality and to have curative properties.City Planning Commission (Philadelphia)
The City Planning Commission is a governmental body of Philadelphia tasked with guiding the growth and development of the city. The commission is composed of nine members which oversee a number of divisions: The Planning Division, Development Planning Division, Urban Design Division, and Geographic Information Systems Division.Dock Creek
Dock Creek was a stream draining much of what is now the eastern half of Center City, Philadelphia. It was a tributary of the Delaware River. By 1820, the entire creek had been covered and converted to a sewer. The present-day Dock Street follows the lower course of the stream.Dolley Todd House
The Dolley Todd House or Dolley Todd Madison House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is a house once owned by Dolley Madison. Madison lived in the home with her first husband John Todd Jr. prior to his death in 1783. It is located on the northeast corner of 4th and Walnut Streets in the Society Hill neighborhood of the city.
The 18th century Georgian house is part of Independence National Historical Park, and daily tours are available by ticket from the park's visitor center. The tour also includes the Bishop White House.Drinker's Court
The Drinker's Court, also known as Bandbox Court Houses, is located in the Society Hill section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The houses were built in 1764 by John Drinker (1716–1787), father of noted American portrait artist John Drinker (1760–1826).They were added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 27, 1971.Old Pine Street Church
Old Pine Street Church is a Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania built in 1768.Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management
The Managing Director’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is responsible for ensuring the readiness of the City of Philadelphia for emergencies of any kind. OEM educates the public on how to prepare for emergencies, leads citywide planning and policy development related to emergency management and coordination, mitigates the impact of emergencies, conducts training and exercises and coordinates on-scene response and recovery operations.Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks
The Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks (aka Landmarks) founded in 1931, maintains and preserves four historic house museums in the region around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. These are:
WaynesboroughThese are open for the education and enjoyment of the public and its members.Powel House
The Powel House is a historic house museum located at 244 South 3rd Street, between Willings Alley and Spruce Street, in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built in 1765 in the Georgian style, and embellished by second owner Samuel Powel (1738–1793), it has been called "the finest Georgian row house in the city." As with other houses of this type, the exterior facade was, but the interior was elaborately appointed.Society Hill Towers
Society Hill Towers is a three-building condominium located in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The complex contains three 31-story skyscrapers with 624 units on a 5-acre (2.0 ha) site. The towers were designed by I.M. Pei and Associates and are constructed of poured-in-place concrete, with each apartment featuring floor-to-ceiling windows. Completed in 1964, the apartments were originally rental units but were converted to condominiums in 1979.Thomas Sully Residence
The Thomas Sully Residence is a historic rowhouse at 530 Spruce Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. It was briefly (1828-29) a home of painter Thomas Sully (1783-1872), who lived in Philadelphia for the last 64 years of his life. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. It is a private residence, and is not open to the public.Washington Square (Philadelphia)
Washington Square, originally designated in 1682 as Southeast Square, is a 6.4 acres (2.6 ha) open-space park in Center City Philadelphia's southeast quadrant and one of the five original planned squares laid out on the city grid by William Penn's surveyor, Thomas Holme. It is part of both the Washington Square West and Society Hill neighborhoods. In 2005, the National Park Service took over ownership and management of Washington Square, through an easement from the City of Philadelphia. It is now part of Independence National Historical Park.
Quadrants are divided along Fourth and Spruce streets. This list is incomplete.
City of Philadelphia
Nickname(s): City of Brotherly Love
|Lists by county|
|Lists by city|