Heath Charnock is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. According to the United Kingdom Census 2001 it has a population of 2,065, reducing to 2,026 at the 2011 Census.
The Cardwell Arms public house
Shown within Chorley Borough
|Population||2,026 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Heath Charnock has been variously recorded as Charnock in 1271; Cernok, Heath Charnock, Hest Chernnoke, Est Chernoke in 1278, Chernocke Gogard in 1284, Hechernok, Heghchernok, Hethevchernoc, Hethchernok, Gogardeschernok and Hethchernock in 1292.
In the Middle Ages Heath Charnock was part of the Penwortham fee held by Randle de Marsey and then by the Ferrers. By 1288 there were two subordinate manors, one held by Thomas Banastre and one by William Gogard. The Banastre manor was acquired by John de Harrington and then the first Lord Mounteagle whose family held it until 1574 when it was sold to Thomas Walmsley and Robert Charnock. Walmsley sold his portion to Thomas Standish of Duxbury whose family eventually acquires the Charnock portion.
William Gogard was styled 'lord of Heath Charnock' and the township often called Charnock Gogard up to the 17th century. By sales and partitions this manor eventually disappeared except for a portion known as Hall o' th' Hill which was held by the Asshawe family by marriage but which was never a manor.
Heath Charnock was a township in the Standish ecclesiastical parish in the Leyland hundred in Lancashire. It became part of the Chorley Rural Sanitary District from 1875 to 1894, and part of the Chorley Rural District from 1894 to 1974.
Since 1974, it has been a civil parish of the Borough of Chorley which is governed by 47 councillors, elected for four year terms to represent wards in the borough. In May 2010 the constitution of the Chorley council was Conservatives had 27 seats, Labour 15 seats, Liberal Democrats 3 seats and Independents 2 seats. Heath Charnock is part of the Heath Charnock and Rivington ward and in 2012 elected a Labour councillor, Kim Snape.  Chorley Council is part of the Lancashire County Council created in 1889 under the Local Government Act 1888 and reconstituted under the Local Government Act 1972. Heath Charnock is part of the Chorley Rural East ward.
The township is crossed by the River Yarrow and its eastern boundary is the Upper Rivington Reservoir. The land rises to the north east reaching a height of 650 feet (200 m). It covers an area of 1,599 acres (6.47 km2) including 58 acres (230,000 m2) of inland water, (the reservoir). The township was mostly agricultural, but there were brick works, stone quarries and a cotton mill operating in the early 20th century.
The A6 road passes through Heath Charnock, connecting Chorley and Adlington, and the Bolton to Chorley road branches off to Horwich.There are roads to Wigan and Rivington. The M61 crosses the township north to south and is accessed at junction 6, Horwich, and junction 8, Chorley.
The Manchester, Bolton to Preston railway passes through Heath Charnock, with the nearest station is at Adlington.
The Chorley Borough Council elections took place on 1 May 2008. One third of the council was up for election.2012 Chorley Borough Council election
Elections to Chorley Borough Council were held on 3 May 2012. One third of the council was up for election and the Labour party won majority control from the Conservative-Liberal Democrat Coalition.
Labour gaining control of this council was notable as David Cameron visited the town in 2006 when the Conservative Party gained control saying "this is the beginning." Nick Robinson of the BBC asked on the election coverage, "then what is it now?"2016 Chorley Borough Council election
The 2016 Chorley Borough Council election took place on 5 May 2016 to elect members of Chorley Borough Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.Borough of Chorley
The Borough of Chorley is a local government district with borough status in Lancashire, England. The population of the Borough at the 2011 census was 104,155. It is named after its largest settlement, the town of Chorley.Charnock (surname)
Charnock is an English locational surname. It originates from two places, Charnock Richard and Heath Charnock, both in Lancashire.The name refers to:
Anne Charnock, science fiction author
Henry Charnock, (1920– 1997), English meteorologist
Job Charnock (b. unknown, d. 1693), British trade agent in India; said to be the founder of Calcutta
Kieran Charnock (b. 1984), English football player
Lewis Charnock, (b. 1994), English rugby player
Mark Charnock (b. 1968), English actor
Phil Charnock (b. 1975), English football player
Robert Charnock (1663–1696), English conspirator in the plot to assassinate William III
Roger Charnock (1588-1645), English politician
Stephen Charnock (1628–1680), English Puritan Presbyterian clergyman
Thomas Charnock (1516–1581), English alchemist and occultist
Thomas Charnock (MP) (1587-1648), English politician.Chorley Rural District
Chorley Rural District was a rural district in the administrative county of Lancashire, England from 1894 to 1974.
The district was created by the Local Government Act 1894 as the successor to the Chorley Rural Sanitary District. It comprised an area surrounding but did not include the Municipal Borough of Chorley.Under the Local Government Act 1972, the rural district was abolished in 1974 and its former area became part of the non-metropolitan Borough of Chorley.Chorley and South Ribble Hospital
Chorley and South Ribble Hospital is an acute general hospital in Chorley. The hospital is situated on Euxton lane in Chorley close to junction 8 of the M61. It is managed by Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.List of places in Lancashire
This is a list of places within the ceremonial county boundaries of Lancashire, England. It refers to the present-day boundaries of Lancashire, which came into effect in 1974.Listed buildings in Heath Charnock
Heath Charnock is a civil parish in the Borough of Chorley, Lancashire, England. The parish contains 18 buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England as designated listed buildings. Of these, one is listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The parish is mainly rural, and most of the listed buildings are houses and associated structures, farmhouses and farm buildings. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal passes through the parish, and there are five listed buildings connected with this, four bridges and an aqueduct. The other listed structure is a milepost.Manor of Rivington
The Manor of Rivington was a manorial estate in Rivington, Lancashire, England that possibly predates the Domesday survey. Before 1212 the Pilkington family owned six oxgangs of land. Over time it became separated in moieties and by the 16th century the Pilkingtons of Rivington Hall owned a 5/8 share. In 1605 the Lathoms of Irlam owned a quarter share and the Shaws 1/8.
The Rivington Hall estate was purchased by William Lever in 1900 and compulsorily purchased by Liverpool Corporation Waterworks in 1902, the current owner is United Utilities. Rivington Hall has been leased to the Salmon family since 1953PR postcode area
The PR postcode area, also known as the Preston postcode area, is a group of eleven postcode districts in England, which are subdivisions of four post towns. These postcode districts cover the city of Preston and the towns of Leyland and Chorley in south-west Lancashire, plus the town of Southport in Merseyside.Rawlinson Bridge railway station
Rawlinson Bridge was the first railway station in the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. The station was located in the village of Heath Charnock and was situated on the Bolton to Preston Railway. The station opened on 15 June 1837 by act of Parliament, the Bolton and Preston Railway Company had constructed a link with the Manchester line comprising nine and a half miles of railway to a station which was to be a temporary terminus as the railway continued to be built towards Chorley. Four years later in December 1841 the line had reached Chorley and was superseded by more centralised stations at Chorley and Adlington.
No traces of the former terminus remain although after closure the site became home of the junction linking the mineral railway which served Ellerbeck Colliery to the main line. This line and the colliery closed in the 1960s.River Yarrow (Lancashire)
The River Yarrow is in Lancashire, with its source at an area called Will Narr at Hordern Stoops, along Spitlers Edge - the Chorley/Blackburn boundary - on the West Pennine Moors. The river feeds the Yarrow Reservoir, which in turn feeds the Anglezarke and Upper and Lower Rivington Reservoirs. Upon leaving the reservoirs via a pumping station, the river passes through an area that was formerly known as Abyssinia. Currently, this area is within the boundaries of Heath Charnock and Limbrick, but the original name was given because it was a route frequented by coal miners, and the workers were said to look like natives of Abyssinia (modern day Ethiopia): until the mid 20th century it was usual for miners to return from work covered in coal dust.From here, the river flows underneath the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, joining Black Brook at Yarrow Bridge, then continuing through the ancient woodland of Duxbury into Yarrow Valley Park forming a boundary of Euxton and on through Eccleston and Croston, where it feeds the River Douglas at Sollom just before its inlet into the River Ribble's brackish final stretch. The entire course of the River Yarrow falls within Chorley and its villages. Parts of the river are a County Biological Heritage Site.Rivington Pike
Rivington Pike is a hill summit on Winter Hill, part of the West Pennine Moors, overlooking the village of Rivington in Lancashire, England. The nearest towns are Adlington and Horwich. The Pike Tower is a prominent local landmark and is located at the summit, the area is popular with hill walkers and for mountain biking.The Street (Heath Charnock)
The Street is a historical property on a bridleway of the same name in Heath Charnock in the Borough of Chorley, Lancashire, England. It is located on the western banks of the Upper Rivington reservoir and close to the boundary with the village of Rivington. It has been converted to apartments.
Alexander Street took his name from the property when he was the owner of the estate in 1534. After his death, a distant cousin attempted to gain control of the building, but was evicted after a presumptuous attempt to act as a guardian to the deceased's children.
After the reservoir was built in 1850, the house was demolished and rebuilt with compensation from Liverpool Corporation. In 1853, the property was owned by Peter Martin, who also owned Street Wood and Blindhurst Farm. Major renovation was undertaken, including vineries in the expansive gardens.Chorley Borough Council considered demolishing the structure following the demolition of many other large historic buildings in the village. It was rebuilt and although the roof was removed, the ornate and distinct chimneys remained.
Opposite the property is a pets' grave, paying tribute to a trio of cats and dogs that died between 1900 and 1902.Yarrow Reservoir
Yarrow Reservoir - named after the River Yarrow - is a reservoir in the Rivington chain in Anglezarke, Lancashire, England, and has a storage capacity second to Anglezarke Reservoir. Construction of the reservoir, designed by Liverpool Borough Engineer Thomas Duncan, began in 1867.In 2002, several tons of fish were transported to this reservoir when the Upper Rivington reservoir was completely drained for essential maintenance work.The construction of Yarrow Reservoir was described in Wm. Fergusson Irvine's book "A Short History Of The Township Of Rivington" :
On the banks of the reservoir is a 'face in the wall' - an effigy carved into a large stone on top of the dry stone wall, which is said to depict an inspector who worked for the Liverpool Corporation and made workers' lives a misery.The construction of the reservoir meant that a small hamlet called Alance was flooded, centred on the rebuilt Alance Bridge, and a large dwelling was demolished - Turner's Farm - which lives on in current maps only in name as Turner's Embankment.
Places adjacent to Heath Charnock
Geography of the Borough of Chorley