The Hallam Line is a railway connecting Leeds and Sheffield via Castleford in the West Yorkshire Metro area of northern England. It is a slower route from Leeds to Sheffield than the Wakefield line. Services on this line are operated by Northern. Services from Leeds to Nottingham also use the line.
Yorkshire and the Humber
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The line is named after the manor of Hallam which included Sheffield at the time of the Domesday Book (1086). At this time the local area was known as Hallamshire—the names Hallam and Hallamshire are still used today by many local companies and organisations.
Before the 1923 grouping the route followed by the line was owned as follows:
After 1921 the entire route, except Methley to Normanton via Castleford, and the short stretch from Barnsley (Jumble Lane) to Quarry Junction, became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway until 1948 when the network was nationalised. Midland Railway trains made use of Barnsley Court House station and so avoided any contact with Great Central / L.N.E.R. metals. (Note: The route that exists today was not possible until 1960 when B.R. added a connection at Barnsley (Quarry Junction) to allow trains to use Exchange station and reach the Midland line to Sheffield).
Trains on the line serve the following places; some stations may no longer be open:
Stations from here to Sheffield are also on the Penistone line:
From here the two railways – MidR and GCR had parallel lines to Sheffield. The latter line is closed and lifted.
Altofts railway station served the village of Altofts near Normanton in the English county of West Yorkshire. It was opened in 1870 as Altofts and Whitwood by the Midland Railway on its line from Derby to Leeds Wellington Station. Much of the village of Altofts is in fact closer to Normanton station.
It was built on an embankment using spoil from the cutting south of Normanton. The area was in any case, prone to subsidence, resulting in speed restrictions and the need to shore up the platforms.
North of the station the line crosses the Aire and Calder Navigation and the River Calder by means of a viaduct of five sixty foot arches.British Rail Class 144
The British Rail Class 144 Pacer diesel multiple units (DMUs) were built by British Rail Engineering Limited's, Derby Litchurch Lane Works from 1986 to 1987. A total of 23 units were built, replacing many of the earlier first-generation "Heritage" DMUs.Class 144 units are in service with Northern, but all units are due to be withdrawn by the end of 2019 as they do not meet new disability regulations.Castleford railway station
Castleford railway station is a railway station serving the town of Castleford in West Yorkshire. It lies on the Hallam and the Pontefract Lines 11 miles (18 km) south east of Leeds.
Although originally built as a through station, regular passenger services beyond Castleford towards York were discontinued in January 1970. Today, all trains calling at the station reverse here, arriving and departing from the former northbound platform 1. Platform 2 is currently out of use and inaccessible, though it was brought back into use temporarily during the Leeds First project in 2002 when Transpennine services between York and Huddersfield were diverted to avoid engineering work in Leeds, routed via Church Fenton, Castleford and Wakefield Kirkgate. It may also be brought back into use on a more permanent basis to help accommodate extra peak hour services if Network Rail proceed with plans mooted in the recent Yorkshire & Humberside RUS.
The route from Church Fenton continues to be used for freight traffic, empty stock transfers, special trains and such engineering and other out-of-course diversions as required (such as in the summer of 2008, when all Sunday services between Leeds and York/Hull were routed this way due to work near Micklefield).
West Yorkshire Metro has been developing plans to relocate Castleford bus station to a new site next to the railway station, and to create a fully integrated and staffed transport interchange. In October 2014, work on the new £6 million bus station was started and it opened to the public in February 2016.Chapeltown, South Yorkshire
Chapeltown is a large village and suburb of Sheffield in South Yorkshire, England. It is part of the local authority area of the Parish of Ecclesfield.Chapeltown railway station
Chapeltown railway station, originally known as Chapeltown South, is a railway station in Chapeltown, a district of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The station is 7.25 miles (12 km) north of Sheffield on the Hallam and Penistone Lines.Crigglestone West railway station
Crigglestone West railway station served the village of Crigglestone, West Yorkshire, England from 1850 to 1965 on the Hallam Line.Cross Country Route
The Cross Country Route is a long-distance UK rail route that has in its central part superseded the Midland Railway. It runs from Cornwall via Bristol, Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield and Leeds and the north east to Scotland. It facilitates some of the longest passenger journeys in the UK such as Aberdeen to Penzance. In the summer services are provided to additional coastal stations such as Newquay.
The line is classed as a high-speed line because the sections of the line from Birmingham to Wakefield and from Leeds to York have a speed limit of 125 mph (200 km/h), though the section from Birmingham to Bristol is limited to 100 mph (160 km/h) due to there being numerous level crossings, especially half-barrier level crossings, and the section from Wakefield to Leeds is limited to 100 mph (160 km/h) due to a number of curves.Darton railway station
Darton railway station is a railway station in Darton, in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. Train services are provided by Northern.
The station was opened by the Manchester and Leeds Railway on 1 January 1850.The railway station is in South Yorkshire but West Yorkshire Metro tickets are also valid to and from this station. The reason for this is that the West-South Yorkshire boundary historically ran between the village and its main source of employment, Woolley Colliery.The car park at the station was recently reported by the local police force as having the highest incidence of vehicle break-ins in the Barnsley area, but the installation of CCTV is hoped to address this problem.Elsecar railway station
Elsecar railway station is a railway station in Elsecar, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. It is based on the Penistone Line and Hallam Line served by Northern. The station was opened by the Midland Railway in July 1897 and was at one time known as Elsecar & Hoyland.
CCTV was recently installed for the purposes of crime prevention. Other improvements to the station include new signage, lighting, and the installation of passenger information display screens to provide real-time service information.
A new 85-bay car park at the station was opened in November 2013 - funded by South Yorkshire PTE, this cost £500,000 and is located behind the northbound platform.Haigh railway station
Haigh railway station served the village of Haigh, West Yorkshire, England from 1850 to 1965 on the Hallam Line.Horbury Junction railway station
Horbury Junction railway station served the village of Horbury, West Yorkshire, England from 1850 to 1927 on the Hallam Line.Horbury and Ossett railway station
Horbury and Ossett railway station formerly served the town of Horbury in West Yorkshire, England. It was located on the Manchester and Leeds Railway (later the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway), which ran along the Calder valley establishing a key link between Liverpool and Manchester to the west, and Leeds, York and Hull to the east. The station was opened with the inauguration of the line in 1840, on the west of the Horbury Bridge Road, to the south-west of the town. Later a new, more substantial structure was built just to the east.
In 1850 the Lancashire and Yorkshire added a new line, from Wakefield to Barnsley, and the town acquired a second station, Horbury Junction, about a mile to the east, where trains from the new Barnsley branch joined the existing line. But it was not as convenient for the centre of the town, so trains on the east-west line continued to stop at the original station instead. A connecting curve to the Barnsley line from the Horbury and Ossett side was added in 1902, completing the triangle; but it attracted little traffic after 1939, and passenger services from the west were suspended in 1962. The chord continued to be used by some freight traffic, and occasionally used for parking the Royal Train, but was eventually severed in 1991. The eastern side of the triangle continues to be used by Hallam Line trains from Leeds to Sheffield. The original Horbury Junction station closed in 1929; although for a time a third station was open, on the main line a little closer to the town, to service the large railway wagon works of Charles Roberts and Co. which grew up in the land between the two lines.
British Railways developed a large marshalling yard in the 1960s at Healey Mills immediately to the west of the original station.
Horbury and Ossett station itself closed in 1970. Almost all that remains is the old subway which ran under the tracks. Ossett is now the largest town in Yorkshire without a railway station. Proposals to open a new one are periodically canvassed, perhaps on part of the Healey Mills site.Methley Junction railway station
Methley Junction railway station was one of three stations that served the village of Methley, West Yorkshire, England. It opened on 1 October 1849 and closed on 4 October 1943.The station was built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway on its line from Knottingley which joined the line of the North Midland Railway (currently used by the Hallam Line) north of the junction of the Woodlesford–Castleford (Midland) and the Woodlesford–Normanton (North Eastern Railway) tracks. South of the station, the Methley Joint Railway to Lofthouse branched off from the Lancashire and Yorkshire line. The site of the former station is now part of a housing estate.Normanton railway station
Normanton railway station serves the town of Normanton in West Yorkshire, England. It lies 11 miles (18 km) south-east of Leeds railway station on the Hallam Line, which is operated by Northern.Pontefract line
The Pontefract line is one of the rail services in the West Yorkshire Metro area of northern England. The service is operated by Northern, and links Wakefield and Leeds with Goole via Pontefract. The Metro timetable for the line also includes services operated as the Dearne Valley line between York and Sheffield via Pontefract.
The line, which passes through the former mining areas to the east of Wakefield and Castleford, has the greatest number of stations opened by the West Yorkshire Metro. MetroCards are available on the route as far as Knottingley: a limited service of trains continues to Goole by this route.Wakefield Kirkgate railway station
Wakefield Kirkgate railway station is a railway station in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. Unlike the nearby Wakefield Westgate railway station, Kirkgate is unstaffed. The station is managed by Northern but also served by Grand Central. It is on the Hallam, Pontefract and Huddersfield lines. It has a limited number of services to London King's Cross.Wombwell railway station
Wombwell railway station lies in Wombwell, a town south of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. The station is 12 miles (19 km) north of Sheffield on the Hallam and Penistone Lines. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1 July 1897, and between 25 September 1950 and 20 February 1969 was known as Wombwell West to distinguish it from Wombwell's other railway station, Wombwell Central, which closed in 1959.CCTV was recently installed for the purposes of crime prevention. Other recent improvements to the station include new signage, lighting, and, for the first time, installation of passenger information display screens to provide real-time service information.The station car park was extended in 2009 to give a total of 74 spaces for rail users.Woodlesford railway station
Woodlesford railway station serves Woodlesford and Rothwell in West Yorkshire, England. It lies on the Hallam Line and the Pontefract Line, 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Leeds.Woolley Edge services
Woolley Edge services is a motorway service station on the M1 motorway near Wakefield within the borough of the City of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. It lies between junctions 38 and 39 close to West Bretton and west of the village of Woolley.
Railway stations in West Yorkshire
|City of Bradford|
|City of Leeds|
|City of Wakefield|
|Outside West Yorkshire,|
but within the
West Yorkshire Metro area