Haldimand County is a rural city-status single-tier municipality (but called a county) on the Niagara Peninsula in Southern Ontario, Canada, on the north shore of Lake Erie, and on the Grand River. Municipal offices are located in Cayuga.
The Grand River Bridge, which carries Argyle St. over the Grand River in Caledonia.
|Restructured||1974 (Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk)|
|Amalgamated||2001 (Single-tier municipality)|
|• Mayor||Ken Hewitt|
|• Governing Body||The Council of Corporation of Haldimand County|
|• MPs||Diane Finley (Con)|
|• MPPs||Toby Barrett (Con)|
|• Land||1,251.57 km2 (483.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||35.9/km2 (93/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Postal code span||N0A, N1A, N3W|
|Area code(s)||519, 226, 905, 289, 365|
Haldimand's history has been closely associated with that of the neighbouring Norfolk County. Haldimand was first created as a county in 1800, from a portion of Norfolk. It was named after the governor of the Province of Quebec Sir Frederick Haldimand. In 1844 the land was surrendered by Six Nations to the Crown in an agreement that was signed by the vast majority of Chiefs in the Haldimand tract. From 1974 to 2000, Haldimand County and Norfolk County were merged to form the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk. See Norfolk County History for the period when Haldimand and Norfolk were governed as a single unit.
Beginning in February 2006, a land dispute by native protesters began near Caledonia over a housing development being built on the outskirts of town, which members of the nearby Mohawk Six Nations people claim is rightfully their land.
The population centres in Haldimand are Caledonia, Dunnville, Hagersville, Jarvis and Cayuga. Part of the Six Nations Reserve is within the geographic area of Haldimand County, but is independent of the county. Most of Haldimand is agricultural land, although some heavy industry, including the Nanticoke Generating Station, is located here.
Smaller communities within the municipality are Attercliffe Station, Balmoral, Bodri Bay, Brookers Bay, Byng, Canborough, Canfield, Cheapside, Clanbrassil, Crescent Bay, Decewsville, Empire Corners, Featherstone Point, Fisherville, Garnet, Hoover Point, Kohler, Little Buffalo, Lowbanks, Moulton Station, Mount Carmel, Mount Healy, Nanticoke, Nelles Corners, Peacock Point, Port Maitland, Rainham Centre, Selkirk, Sims Lock, South Cayuga, Springvale, Stromness, Sweets Corners, Townsend, Willow Grove, Woodlawn Park and York.
The ghost towns of Cook's Station, Cranston, Dufferin, Erie, Indiana Lambs Corners, Lythmore, Sandusk, Upper, Varency, are also located within Haldimand.
Haldimand County area 284,817 acres (1,153 km2) was formed from part of the land grant to the Six Nations in 1783. The County was purchased by treaty and opened for general settlement in 1832. It was first settled by white veterans of Butler's Rangers established there by Joseph Brant. A large number of Germans were among the first settlers.
Source: Province of Ontario -- A History 1615 to 1927 by Jesse Edgar Middleton & Fred Landon, copyright 1927, Dominion Publishing Company, Toronto
|Canada census – Haldimand County community profile|
|Population:||44,876 (-0.7% from 2006)||45,212 (3.4% from 2001)|
|Land area:||1,251.57 km2 (483.23 sq mi)||1,251.58 km2 (483.24 sq mi)|
|Population density:||35.9/km2 (93/sq mi)||36.1/km2 (93/sq mi)|
|Total private dwellings:||19,108||18,386|
|Median household income:|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
Only ethnic groups that comprise greater than 1% of the population are included. Note that a person can report more than one group.
Current Mayor: Ken Hewitt
Fire services in the county is provided by the Haldimand County Fire Department which was created in 2001 following the separation of Haldimand and Norfolk. The department currently consists of 11 stations located strategically throughout the county. With almost 300 firefighters and 40 fire apparatuses, it is one of the largest volunteer fire departments in Ontario. The department consists of;