Haidian District (simplified Chinese: 海淀区; traditional Chinese: 海淀區) is a district of the municipality of Beijing. It lies towards the northwestern part of the urban core.
It is 431 square km in area, making it the second-largest district in urban Beijing (after Chaoyang), and is home to 2,240,124 inhabitants (2000 Census); however, in comparison to other districts, a higher percentage of its inhabitants do not have the governmental residential certificates for long-term residence, because Haidian District is where most universities are located and therefore many of its inhabitants are college students.
Since 1992, Haidian District has signed official papers and established Sister City relationship with 14 cities and districts from 10 countries of 4 continents. Some sister cities are shown below:
The administrative division of the district was reported as follows:
|Wanshou Road Subdistrict
|Yongding Road Subdistrict
|Xueyuan Road Subdistrict
|Huayuan Road Subdistrict
|Tiancun Road Subdistrict
|Wanliu Area (Haidian Town)
||Wànliǔ Dìqū (Hǎidiàn Zhèn)
|Dongsheng (Town) Area
||Dōngshēng (Zhèn) Dìqū
|Wenquan (Town) Area
||Wēnquán (Zhèn) Dìqū
|Sijiqing (Town) Area
||Sìjìqīng (Zhèn) Dìqū
|Xibeiwang (Town) Area
||Xīběiwàng (Zhèn) Dìqū
|Sujiatuo (Town) Area
||Sūjiātuó (Zhèn) Dìqū
|Shangzhuang (Town) Area
||Shàngzhuāng (Zhèn) Dìqū
Haidian was originally a village outside of Beijing's Inner City. It was first built in the Yuan Dynasty and became one of the eight major business areas of the capital during the Qing Dynasty and was the seat of such old shops as Lotus White, Quanjude and Hongbin House. The famed Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace, two grand imperial gardens are also among its reputed features. It became a university district after the building of the Tsinghua University and Yenching University campus in the early twentieth century. It is mentioned in Lao She's novel Camel Xiangzi as an academic village for students. After the foundation of the People's Republic, it was deliberately developed as a university area, with many of the Yan'an institutions moving there. It officially became an administrative district in June 1954. Since the reform and opening up, it has become the centre of China's IT industry. In the words of Time magazine:
Like Paris' Champs Elysées
or New York's Broadway
, Haidian is a celebration of a national myth: China's ability to change itself and become, once again, great among nations.
During the later half of the 1990s, out of the Beijing districts, Haidian had the highest per capita GDP. During that period the GDP of Haidian (1) District grew by double digits each year.
The northwestern stretches of the 3rd Ring Road, 4th Ring Road and 5th Ring Road all run through the area.
Haidian is currently served by nine metro lines of the Beijing Subway and one commuter line operated by BCR:
- Line 1 - Wukesong, Wanshoulu, Gongzhufen, Military Museum 9
- Line 4 - Anheqiao North, Beigongmen, Xiyuan, Yuanmingyuan Park, East Gate of Peking University, Zhongguancun, Haidianhuangzhuang 10 , Renmin University, Weigongcun, National Library 9
- Line 6 - Haidian Wuluju, Cishousi 10 , Huayuanqiao, Baishiqiao South 9
- Line 8 - Yuxin, Xixiaokou, Yongtaizhuang
- Line 9 - National Library 4 , Baishiqiao South 6 , Baiduizi, Military Museum 1
- Line 10 - Lianhuaqiao, Gongzhufen 1 , Xidiaoyutai, Cishousi 6 , Chedaogou, Changchunqiao, Huoqiying, Bagou, Suzhoujie, Haidianhuangzhuang 4 , Zhichunli, Zhichunlu 13 , Xitucheng, Mudanyuan, Jiandemen
- Line 13 - Dazhongsi, Zhichunlu 10 , Wudaokou, Shangdi, Xi'erqi Changping
- Line 15 - Qinghuadongluxikou, Liudaokou, Beishatan
- Changping line - Xi'erqi 13
- Line S2 - Qinghuayuan, Qinghe
Government and infrastructure
The China National Space Administration has its headquarters in the district.
The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) has its headquarters in Zhongguancun.
A central part of Haidian's economy, the Zhongguancun electronics district, hosts the Beijing offices of many software and computer-technology companies.
- Baidu has its headquarters in the Baidu Campus.
- Sohu has its headquarters in the Sohu.com Internet Plaza.
- Sinosteel's headquarters are in the Sinosteel Plaza (simplified Chinese: 中钢国际广场; traditional Chinese: 中鋼國際廣場; pinyin: Zhōnggāng Guójì Guǎngchǎng) in Haidian District.
- Youku has its headquarters on the fifth floor of Sinosteel Plaza.
- Wumart has its headquarters in the Wumart Commercial Building (物美商业大厦; 物美商業大廈; Wù Měi Shāngyè Dàshà) in Haidian District.
- aigo's head office is in the Ideal Plaza (理想国际大厦; 理想國際大廈; Lǐxiǎng Guójì Dàshà) in the Haidian District.
- China Postal Airlines has its headquarters on the 11th through 14th floors of the Ziyu Office Building (紫玉写字楼; 紫玉寫字樓; Zǐyù Xiězìlóu) in Haidian District.
- The Beijing Civil Aircraft Technology Research Center of COMAC (北京民用飞机技术研究中心) has its offices on the 8th floor of the Beijing Olympic Building (北京奥运大厦; 北京奧運大廈; Běijīng Àoyùn Dàshà) in Haidian District.
- Xiaomi has its headquarters in the Office Building of Huarun Wucai City (华润五彩城写字楼; 華潤五彩城寫字樓; Huárùn Wǔcǎi Chéng Xiězìlóu).
- Google has its Beijing office in Tsinghua Science Park Bldg 6
Institutions of higher education in Haidian include:
Primary and secondary education
The Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (simplified Chinese: 北京市教育委员会; traditional Chinese: 北京市教育委員會; pinyin: Běijīng Shì Jiàoyùwěiyuánhuì), the local education authority, has its headquarters in the Beijing Olympic Building.
Institutions of secondary education include:
Private schools include:
Important areas in Haidian District
The Chinese Ice Hockey Association, which governs ice hockey and bandy in China, has its offices at 56, Zhongguacun South Street in Haidian District.
Haidian's Technology hubs
- ^ These towns are officially classified as subdistricts, but as they coincide with the area of the same name, they are commonly named "areas" (地区).
- ^ http://ewsb.bjhd.gov.cn/InternationalCommunication/InternationalSisterCities/
- ^ Harry's World Atlas
- ^ shi, Guo wu yuan ren kou pu cha ban gong; council, Guo jia tong ji ju ren kou he jiu ye tong ji si bian = Tabulation on the 2010 population census of the people's republic of China by township / compiled by Population census office under the state; population, Department of; statistics, employment statistics national bureau of (2012). Zhongguo 2010 nian ren kou pu cha fen xiang, zhen, jie dao zi liao (Di 1 ban. ed.). Beijing Shi: Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- ^ University of Texas Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection: A portion of "Originalkarte der Ebene von Peking und des Gebirkslandes im Westen und Norden der Capitale" from Mittheilungen aus Justus Perthes' Geographischer Anstalt uber Wichtige Neue Erforschungen auf dem Gesammtgebiete der Geographie von Dr. A. Petermann. Erganzungsband 10, 1876.
- ^ Beijing Haidian District People's Government (7 December 2007), Special Shopping Areas in Haidian District. Accessed 19 October 2008. NB: this page only loads correctly in Internet Explorer.
- ^ Tang Yangkai (2008). "Haidian District::Beijing's 'Smart Reservoir'". Beijing Review (7).
- ^ Joshua Cooper Ramo (27 September 1999). "HAIDIAN DISTRICT: China's Silicon Valley, 1999". Time. 154 (12). Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- ^ Wang, Wenfei, Shangyi Zhou, and C. Cindy Fan. "Growth and Decline of Muslim Hui Enclaves in Beijing" (Archive). Eurasian Geography and Economics, 2002, 43, No. 2, pp. 104-122. Cited page: p. 117.
- ^ Home page in Chinese. China National Space Administration. Retrieved on February 26, 2016. "地址：北京市海淀区阜成路甲8号 邮编:100048"
- ^ Home. State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs. Retrieved on July 12, 2017. "邮编：100873 地址：北京中关村南大街一号5号楼 "
- ^ "IR Contacts." Baidu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Address: Baidu Campus, No. 10, Shangdi 10th Street, Haidian District, Beijing 100085 People's Republic of China."
- ^ "Contact Us." Sohu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Headquarter Office Sohu.com Internet Plaza, No.1 Park, Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100084, PRC ."
- ^ "Sohu.com." CNN Money. Retrieved on 19 August 2009.
- ^ "Contact Us." Sinosteel. Retrieved on 18 November 2012. "Sinosteel Plaza,8 Haidian St., Beijing, P.R.China" - See map and directions in English - Chinese: "中国北京海淀区海淀大街8号中钢国际广场" - See map and directions in Chinese
- ^ "版权声明." Youku. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "北京市海淀区海淀大街8号中钢国际大厦5层"
- ^ "Contact Us." Youku. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Beijing 5th Floor, Sinosteel Plaza, 8 Haidian Dajie, Haidian District, Beijing, 100080, China."
- ^ "Interim Report 2011." (Archive) Wumart. Retrieved on 12 October 2012. "ADDRESS OF HEAD OFFICE Wumart Commercial Building 158-1 West 4th Ring North Road Haidian District Beijing P. R. China" and "LEGAL ADDRESS IN CHINA Room 5610 1 Shixingdong Street Badachu HighTech Park District Shijingshan District Beijing The PRC"
- ^ "Contact Us." aigo. Retrieved on July 25, 2013. "aigo Digital Technology Co., Ltd. Add: 10-11th Floor, Ideal Plaza, No.58, West Road, North 4th Ring Road, Beijing, 100080, China" Chinese address: "北京市北四环西路58号理想国际大厦11层"
- ^ "联系我们." China Postal Airlines. Retrieved on 18 November 2012. "北京海淀区增光路55号紫玉写字楼11-14层"
- ^ "Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, Ltd." (Archive) COMAC. Retrieved on January 10, 2014.
- ^ "联系方式 (Contact Us)". Official website of Xiaomi (in Chinese). Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- ^ "Google locations." Google. Retrieved on May 25, 2016. "Google Beijing Tsinghua Science Park Bldg 6 No. 1 Zhongguancun East Road Haidian District"
- ^ "联系我们" (Contact Us) (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "北京市教育委员会地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦"
- ^ Home page (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦 邮政编码：100083"
- ^ "Location." Beijing Haidian Foreign Language Shi Yan School. Retrieved on June 7, 2014. "Address：No.20, Xingshikou Road, Haidian District, Beijing,100195 P.R.China" - Address in Chinese: "地址： 北京市海淀区杏石口路20号 邮编： 100195"
- ^ FIB Members, read 20 February 2016
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.