|Builder:||Eglo Engineering, Adelaide|
|Laid down:||21 March 1988|
|Launched:||6 February 1989|
|Commissioned:||27 February 1989|
|Identification:||IMO number: 8717295|
|Motto:||"Search With Diligence"|
|One inherited battle honour|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Paluma-class survey motor launch|
|Length:||36.6 m (120 ft) length overall|
|Beam:||13.7 m (45 ft)|
|Draught:||1.9 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Propulsion:||2 Detroit V12 diesel engines|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
|Range:||1,800 nautical miles (3,300 km; 2,100 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 11 sailors (plus accommodation for 4 additional)|
|Sensors and |
The Paluma-class vessels have a full load displacement of 320 tonnes. They are 36.6 metres (120 ft) long overall and 36 metres (118 ft) long between perpendiculars, have a beam of 13.7 metres (45 ft), and a draught of 1.9 metres (6 ft 3 in). Propulsion machinery consists of two General Motors Detroit Diesel 12V-92T engines, which supply 1,290 brake horsepower (960 kW) to the two propeller shafts. Each vessel has a top speed of 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph), a maximum sustainable speed of 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph) (which gives a maximum range of 1,800 nautical miles (3,300 km; 2,100 mi)), and an endurance of 14 days.
The sensor suite of a Paluma-class launch consists of a Kelvin Hughes 1007 navigational radar and Thales Petrel three-dimensional forward looking active high frequency echosounders. The vessels are unarmed. The standard ship's company consists of three officers and eleven sailors, although another four personnel can be accommodated. The catamarans were originally painted white, but were repainted naval grey in 2002.
In January 2011, Paluma was one of three RAN vessels deployed to survey Moreton Bay and the Brisbane River for submerged debris as part of Operation Queensland Flood Assist, the Australian Defence Force response to the 2010–2011 Queensland floods.
Four Australian naval vessels have been named HMAS Paluma after an Aboriginal word meaning "thunder":
HMQS Paluma was a gunboat built for the Queensland colonial navy in 1884. She was acquired by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in 1913, and was sold into civilian service in 1916.
HMAS Paluma (1941), an auxiliary patrol boat built in 1941
HMAS Paluma (1946), formerly Motor Stores Lighter No. 252 (MSL 252), was altered during construction into a survey ship, and completed in 1945
HMAS Paluma (A 01), lead ship of the Paluma-class motor launches, built in 1989 and in service as of 2016List of ships of the Royal Australian Navy
Since its foundation in 1913, the Royal Australian Navy has operated a large number of vessels, including various types of warship, support and supply craft, and auxiliary vessels drawn from civilian service when required.
|Royal Australian Navy|