HMAS Doomba was a Royal Australian Navy (RAN) warship of World War II. Built for the Royal Navy around the end of World War I as the Hunt-class minesweeper HMS Wexford, the ship only saw two years of service before she was decommissioned in 1921 and sold to the Doomba Shipping Company. The vessel was renamed SS Doomba, converted into a passenger ship, and operated in the waters around Brisbane until 1939, when she was requisitioned by the RAN for wartime service. Serving first as an auxiliary minehunter, then an auxiliary anti-submarine vessel, HMAS Doomba was purchased outright by the RAN in 1940, and served until early 1946, when she was sold and converted into a linseed oil lighter. Doomba was scuttled off Dee Why, New South Wales in 1976.
HMAS Doomba in 1942
|Builder:||William Simons & Co, Renfrew, Scotland|
|Fate:||Sold into mercantile service, later acquired by RAN|
|Acquired:||4 September 1939|
|Commissioned:||25 September 1939|
|Decommissioned:||13 March 1946|
|Fate:||Converted to an oil lighter in 1947 and scuttled in 1976|
|General characteristics (RAN service)|
|Class and type:||Hunt-class minesweeper|
|Displacement:||750 tons gross|
|Length:||231 ft (70 m)|
|Beam:||28 ft 6 in (8.69 m)|
|Draught:||16 ft 6 in (5.03 m)|
|Speed:||17 knots (31 km/h; 20 mph)|
|Armament:||1 × 4-inch (102 mm) gun, 1 × Bofors 40 mm, 1 × Oerlikon 20 mm, 2 × Lewis Gun, 2 × Vickers MG, 51 depth charges|
The ship was built for the RN as the Hunt-class minesweeper HMS Wexford. She was constructed by William Simons & Co at their shipyard in Renfrew, Scotland, launched in 1919, and commissioned later that year.
The minehunter was decommissioned from the RN in 1921 and sold to the Doomba Shipping Company. After being converted to a passenger ship and renamed Doomba, she entered mercantile service in 1923, and was used to carry tourists between Brisbane and Bribie Island. In this role, she could carry 1,500 passengers, and was also used as a flagship for regattas.
The RAN requisitioned Doomba won 4 September 1939 and purchased in June 1940. In her service with the RAN, Doomba was first used as an auxiliary mine sweeper and later an auxiliary anti-submarine vessel. Her service during World War II earned the ship a battle honour: "Pacific 1941–43".
20th Minesweeping Flotilla (Australia)
Media related to Doomba (ship, 1919) at Wikimedia Commons
The 20th Minesweeping Flotilla was a Royal Australian Navy minesweeping flotilla that operated during World War II. Formed on 9 December 1939 and styled in the naming convention for minesweeping flotilla names used by the Royal Navy, the flotilla consisted of HMAS Swan, Yarra, Doomba and Orara. The makeup of the flotilla changed during the course of the war.Ability (1910)
The Ability was a wooden Steamer coastal transport cargo ship of 140 tons, owned by Parsons, R & Plunkett. She was scuttled and abandoned off Newcastle, New South Wales on 3 June 1960 or off Sydney on 3 April 1965.Adelaide (1879)
Adelaide was a wooden schooner that was lost after leaving Newcastle, New South Wales carrying a load of coal on a voyage to Gisborne, New Zealand in May 1898. There were two deaths.Adventure (1850 schooner)
The Adventure was a wooden schooner built in 1850 at Hong Kong, that was wrecked in 1855 at Richmond River, New South Wales, under the master James Cook.Agnes (1853)
The Agnes was a wooden carvel cutter built in 1853 in Sydney Harbour. It was lost at Newcastle Bight, New South Wales, on 13 July 1860, when it was blown ashore in a gale whilst travelling between Newcastle and Sydney. The ship master was Henry Hardy.Agnes (1875)
The Agnes was a wooden carvel schooner built in 1875 at Brisbane Water. On 12 March 1890, whilst in ballast between Sydney and Tweed River, she lost her sails in a gale 6 miles (9.7 km) and was wrecked north of Brunswick River heads. There were eight deaths.Agnes (1877)
Agnes was a wooden carvel ketch built in 1877 at Williams River, Eagleton, near Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. She was wrecked when she foundered off Jervis Bay, New South Wales, in 1883.Agnes (1904)
Agnes was a launch built in 1904 at North Sydney, that was wrecked on 27 January 1906 in a collision in Sydney Harbour, whilst carrying passengers between Snails Bay and Middle Harbour.Agnes Irving
The Agnes Irving was an iron paddle steamer built in 1862 at Charles Lungley's Dockyard, Deptford Green on the River Thames, London. It was wrecked on 28 December 1879, when it entered the Macleay River on ebb tide whilst carrying general cargo from Sydney, and was lost off the South Spit of the old entrance of Trial Bay, New South Wales.Argument (ship)
Argument was an Australian sloop of some 8 tons, built in Sydney and registered on 8 October 1800.In March 1809 Argument, Experiment and Hazard left Pittwater, New South Wales, bound for Sydney with cargoes of wheat. A squall arose and the master of Argument, Benjamin Pate, watched as Hazard was driven ashore and wrecked. Deciding to avoid a similar fate he attempted to run for Broken Bay but missed the entrance and struck Short Reef. Pate, his hand James Dicey, and a passenger, Mary Kirk, were all drowned.Charlotte (sloop)
Charlotte was a sloop sunk in 1808 off the coast of New South Wales, Australia.Dundee (ship)
Dundee was a ship wrecked in 1808 off the coast of New South Wales, Australia.Edward Lombe (1828)
Edward Lombe was a merchantman and passenger three-masted barquentine with a burthen of 347 tons built in 1828 by Thomas Brodrick, of Whitby, England.HMAS Kianga
HMAS Kianga was an auxiliary minesweeper operated by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) during the Second World War. She was launched in 1922 by R. J. Lucey at Narooma. The ship operated as a coastal cargo steamer and was requisitioned by the RAN in 1941. She was not returned to her owners and was scuttled off Sydney Heads.HMAS Kuramia
HMAS Kuramia was a Royal Australian Navy boom defence vessel, converted from a Sydney Ferries Limited ferry.Itata (1883)
Itata was a three-masted iron barque built by R & J Evans, Liverpool in 1883. She was severely damaged by a fire in her hold at Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, in 1906. Her hulk was towed to Sydney and was scuttled in Saltpan Creek, Middle Harbour.MV Tassie III
MV Tassie III (S-77) was a 120-ton steel motor vessel, which was requisitioned by the United States Army during the Second World War. She was carrying 80 tons of condemned ammunition when she was wrecked 28.638795°S 153.613906°E / -28.638795; 153.613906 while sheltering at the jetty at Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia, on 9 June 1945.The Australian salvage tug Tancred salvaged most of the ammunition from the wreck in 1946.SS Kooroongaba
SS Kooroongaba was a vehicle ferry built for Sydney Ferries Limited. It later operated in Newcastle.SS Wollongbar (1911)
Wollongbar was a 2,005-ton passenger steamship built by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Company, Troon in 1911 for the North Coast Steam Navigation Company.
Shipwrecks and scuttled vessels of New South Wales