The Hôtel de Sens (French pronunciation: [otɛl də sɑ̃s]) or Hôtel des archevêques de Sens is a medieval hôtel particulier, or private mansion, in the Marais, in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France. It nowadays houses the Forney art library.
The hôtel was built to serve as a residence for the archbishops of Sens. Before 1622, Paris was not a specific archdiocese, and depended on the diocesan authority of Sens. The archbishop was a prominent figure of power, his residence reflecting his influence within the urban landscape.
A first hôtel, at this location, was built for the archbishops of Sens in 1345, which was latter used by Charles V, King of France, as a part of his royal residence, the hôtel Saint-Pol. When the Kings settled in the newly built Louvre palace, the building was destroyed, only to be replaced by the current hôtel, built between 1475 and 1519 by Tristian de Salazar and reinstalled as the residence of the archbishops of Sens. As such, it served as the house of many renowned prelate, such as Antoine Duprat, Louis de Bourbon de Vendôme, Louis de Lorraine, Nicolas de Pellevé (who died in the hôtel) or Jacques Davy Duperron. Margaret of Valois also lived there in 1605 and 1606, and her decision to cut a fig tree (figuier) in front of the building is said to have inspired the name of the street, rue du Figuier.
In 1622, Paris became an archdiocese. The archbishops of Sens lost the major part of their power in the city, and their sojourns in Paris became progressively less frequent. The hôtel, alienated during the 17th century to the archdiocese of Paris, entered a lasting period of progressive decay. A bien national during the French Revolution, it was sold in 1797 and privately owned throughout the 19th century, housing, like many hôtels particulier in the Marais at the time, shops, workshops or factories. During the Trois Glorieuses street fights of 1830, a cannonball hit the facade and lodged deep within the wall ; it is visible nowadays above the main entrance, the date engraved beneath.
Protected as a heritage site in 1862, the building was acquired by the city of Paris, and thoroughly restored in 1930. The Forney art library was installed in it in 1961.
The Adam Mickiewicz Museum (in French:
Musée Adam Mickiewicz) is a small museum dedicated to Polish poet Adam Mickiewicz (1798–1855). It is located within the Polish Library in Paris in the 4th arrondissement of Paris at 6, Quai d'Orleans, Paris, France.The museum was established in 1930, and contains numerous personal effects as well as an archive including many autograph items. It occupies one room in the Bibliothèque Polonaise à Paris, which also houses the Musée Boleslas Biegas and the Salon Frédéric Chopin.Guided visits are available Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings by prior appointment; an admission fee is charged.Avenue George V
Avenue George V is a street in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. It is 730 metres (800 yards) long and 40 metres (44 yards) wide. It starts at the Alma and ends at No. 99 avenue des Champs-Elysées, and marks the western limit of Paris's "golden triangle" (triangle d'or). Four Seasons Hotel George V is located on this avenue.Until Bastille Day 1918, the avenue was called Avenue d'Alma. It received its current name in honour of the British monarch George V, who was on the throne at the time, and had supported France during the First World War.Berthillon
Berthillon is a French manufacturer and retailer of luxury ice cream and sorbet, with its primary store on the Île Saint-Louis in Paris, France. The company is owned and operated by the Chauvin family, descendants of the eponymous Monsieur Berthillon, who from 1954 operated a restaurant on the premises called "Le Bourgogne".
The ice cream shop became famous in 1961 when a French restaurant guide Gault Millau wrote about "this astonishing ice cream shop hidden in a bistro on the Ile Saint-Louis."Raymond Berthillon died on 9 August 2014.Cité (Paris Métro)
Cité (French pronunciation: [site]) is a metro station on Line 4 of the Paris Métro in the 4th arrondissement of Paris.Galerie Vivienne
The Galerie Vivienne is one of the covered passages of Paris, France, located in the 2nd arrondissement. It is 176 metres (577 ft) long and 3 metres (9.8 ft) wide. The gallery has been registered as a historical monument since 7 July 1974.Grand Synagogue of Paris
The Grand Synagogue of Paris, generally known as Synagogue de la Victoire or Grande Synagogue de la Victoire, is situated at 44, Rue de la Victoire, in the 9th arrondissement. It also serves as the official seat of the chief rabbi of Paris.Hôtel de Sully
The Hôtel de Sully is a Louis XIII style hôtel particulier, or private mansion, located at 62 rue Saint-Antoine in the Marais, IV arrondissement, Paris. Built at the beginning of the 17th century, it is nowadays the seat of the Centre des monuments nationaux, the French national organization responsible for national heritage sites. It has been listed since 1862 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.Hôtel particulier
An hôtel particulier (French pronunciation: [otɛl paʁtikylje]) is a townhouse of a grand sort, comparable to the British townhouse. Whereas an ordinary maison (house) was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hôtel particulier was often free-standing, and by the 18th century it would always be located entre cour et jardin: between the cour d'honneur (an entrance court) and the garden behind. There are hôtels particuliers in many large cities in France.Musée Pasteur
The Musée Pasteur is a museum dedicated to scientist Louis Pasteur. It is located within the Institut Pasteur at 25 Rue du Docteur Roux, Paris, France, in the 15th arrondissement, and open daily in the warmer months; an admission fee is charged.
The museum was established in 1935 in honor of Louis Pasteur (1822-1895), and preserves his memory in the apartment where he spent the last seven years of his life, as well as an impressive room where some 1,000 scientific instruments are exhibited, and the Neo-Byzantine chapel in which he is buried.Parc de Bercy
Parc de Bercy is a public park located along the right bank of the Seine in the 12th arrondissement of Paris. It was created in 1994-1997 as one of the major architectural projects of French President François Mitterrand on the site of a former wine depot. With a combined area of 13.9 hectares, composed of three different gardens on different themes connected by foot bridges, it is the tenth largest park in the city. It is accessible by Bercy and Cour Saint-Émilion Métro stations, and by a foot bridge to the National Library of France on the other side of the river.Passage Brady
Passage Brady is one of two iron-and-glass covered arcades (known in French as the Passages couverts de Paris) located in the 10th arrondissement of Paris, France constructed in 1828. It lies between Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Denis and Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin.
It is famous for the several Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants located in the arcade.Pont Marie (Paris Métro)
Pont Marie is a station of the Paris Métro opened in 1926 with the extension of line 7 from Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre. It is named after the nearby bridge over the Seine, the Pont Marie, which connects to the Île Saint-Louis.Quai des Célestins (Paris)
The quai des Célestins runs along the Seine in Paris' 4th arrondissement. The quay, or dock, runs into the quai Henri-IV upstream, and downstream becomes the quai de l'Hôtel-de-Ville.Saint-Jacques Tower
Saint-Jacques Tower (Tour Saint-Jacques) is a monument located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France, on Rue de Rivoli at Rue Nicolas Flamel. This 52-metre (171 ft) Flamboyant Gothic tower is all that remains of the former 16th-century Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie ("Saint James of the butchers"), which was demolished in 1797, during the French Revolution, leaving only the tower. What remains of the destroyed church of St. Jacques La Boucherie is now considered a national historic landmark. The closest métro station is Châtelet.Saint-Paul (Paris Métro)
Saint-Paul (Le Marais) (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃ pɔl]) is a station on Paris Métro Line 1, close to the Rue Saint-Paul. It serves the neighbourhood of Le Marais, known for its Jewish and gay communities, and fine town houses.
The Jewish quarter is called Pletzl and is located around the Rue des Rosiers. The Place des Vosges and the Lycée Charlemagne are nearby.
The station was opened on 6 August 1900, 18 days after trains began running on the original section of line 1 between Porte de Vincennes and Porte Maillot on 19 July 1900.Salon Frédéric Chopin
The Salon Frédéric Chopin is a small museum dedicated to Frédéric Chopin. It is located within the Polish Library in Paris - Bibliothèque polonaise de Paris - in the 4th arrondissement of Paris at 6, Quai d'Orléans, Paris, France. Guided visits are available Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings by prior appointment; an admission fee is charged.
The museum contains a number of Chopin's mementos, including his death mask and a casting of his left hand by Auguste Clésinger, several paintings, numerous portraits, autographs, first editions, and his favorite chair. The museum occupies one room in the Bibliothèque Polonaise à Paris, which also houses the Musée Adam Mickiewicz and the Musée Boleslas Biegas.Solidays
Solidays is a French annual music festival that takes place at the Longchamp Racecourse in Paris at the end of June. Organised by Solidarité sida (a French HIV/AIDS awareness group for youth), the event brings together more than 150 artists and 170 000 festival-goers for three days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). The proceeds from the festival are donated to organisations fighting against AIDS, especially for those focusing on the African continent.
The festival has been held since 1999. The performers involved in Solidays accept a reduced fee or appear for free as a sign of their solidarity. The 2013 edition raised over 2 million euros. The festival also features bungee jumping in addition to the music.Over the years, many French and foreign artists have appeared at Solidays, including DJ Snake, Bigflo & Oli, Kungs, Mac Miller, Vanessa Paradis, M83, Synapson, Paul Kalkbrenner, Bénabar, Madeon, Shaka Ponk, David Guetta, Kool & the Gang, Stromae, Louis Bertignac, Lily Allen, Louise Attaque, Grand Corps Malade, Earth, Wind & Fire and Diplo.Temple du Marais
The Temple du Marais, sometimes known as the Temple Sainte-Marie, or historically, as the Church of Sainte Marie de la Visitation, is a Protestant church located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, in the district of Le Marais at 17 Rue Saint-Antoine. It was originally built as a Roman Catholic convent by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, whose sisters were commonly called the Visitandines. The church was closed in the French Revolution and later given to a Protestant congregation which continues its ministry to the present. The closest métro station is BastilleThe Marais
Le Marais ("The Marsh", French pronunciation: [maʁɛ]) is a historic district in Paris, France. Long the aristocratic district of Paris, it hosts many outstanding buildings of historic and architectural importance. It spreads across parts of the 3rd and 4th arrondissements in Paris (on the Rive Droite, or Right Bank, of the Seine). Once shabby, the district has been rehabilitated and now sports trendy shopping and restaurants in streets such as Rue des Francs-Bourgeois and Rue des Rosiers.
|Paris Métro stations|
|Parks and gardens|
|Culture and events|