Media related to Grade II* listed buildings on the Isle of Wight at Wikimedia Commons
Brading railway station is a Grade II listed railway station serving Brading on the Isle of Wight. It is located on the Island Line from Ryde to Shanklin. Owing to its secluded location and single operational platform, it is one of the quietest stations on the Island.Fort Albert
Fort Albert (map reference SZ330890) is a tower fort nestling under the cliffs south-west of Fort Victoria on the Isle of Wight, England. It was also known as Cliff End Fort, named after the Northern extremity of Colwell Bay (Cliff's End).Fort Victoria (Isle of Wight)
Fort Victoria is a former military fort on the Isle of Wight, England (grid reference SZ339898), built to guard the Solent. The earliest fort on the site was a coastal fort known as Sharpenode Bulwark built in 1545-7 by Henry VIII, but these defences had fallen into disrepair by the 17th century. Fort Victoria was built in the 1850s. It was a brick-built triangular fort with two seaward batteries meeting at a right angle. It remained in use until 1962. Parts of the fort were subsequently demolished, and what remains has become part of Fort Victoria Country Park.Freshwater Redoubt
Freshwater Redoubt, also known as Fort Redoubt (map reference SZ345856) is an old Palmerston fort built in Freshwater Bay on the western end of the Isle of Wight. Construction work for the fort began in 1855 and was completed in 1856. It was finally sold in 1928 and has now been converted into a private residence.Gatcombe House
Gatcombe House is a manor house in Gatcombe on the Isle of Wight, England. The original building was constructed by the Stur (Estur) family as noted in the Domesday Book. St. Olave's Church, built next to the manor to serve as its chapel, was dedicated in 1292. It also belonged at one time to the Lisles of Wootton.The present stone building stands in hanging woods. It was erected in 1750 by Sir Edward Meux Worsley (c. July 1716 – August 14, 1762), and is typical of the country houses of the time of George III. The manor was afterwards purchased by Alexander Baring, 1st Baron Ashburton. It was later owned by Sir Charles Seely, 1st Baronet. Gatcombe House has been a Grade II*-listed building since July 1951.God's Providence House, Newport
God's Providence House is a building in St Thomas' Square, Newport, Isle of Wight, England. It was constructed in red brick with a tiled roof in the late 17th century. The front facing St Thomas' Square is rendered and contains an 18th-century double bow window. Over the main door is a panel bearing the inscription "WIE "God's Providence in my inheritance", 1701". The structure is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. During the 16th century the house was reputed to be the only house in the town in which nobody died from the plague. The building was damaged by fire in 1701, and was partly rebuilt. It is one of the oldest extant buildings in the town. As of 2012 the building is being used as a restaurant.Great Budbridge Manor
The Great Budbridge Manor (original name in Domesday Book: Messetone or Marshton; also: Botebrigge, 13th century; Butbrygg or Northbudbrygge, 15th century) is a manor house just south of Merstone, near Arreton, Isle of Wight, England. Fish ponds on the grounds appear medieval.The manor's history has been traced to John de Lisle, Henry de Botebrigge and Walter Urry during the reign of Henry III (1207–72). Records testify its ownership by William Urry in 1280. Consequent to the conviction of Robert Urry, William's son, in 1312 for murdering the Constable of Carisbrooke Castle, part of his land was acquired. However, the manor remained in the name of the family till 1450. More than 200 years later, in 1633 the manor was bought by Sir Robert Dillington, 1st Baronet.Hill Farmhouse
Hill Farmhouse (also Writtleston House) is an English country house in Brading, Isle of Wight. The 17th century farmhouse, a Grade II listed building, is located on Carpenters Road. It was constructed of local limestone. While the two storey gabled porch was an addition, the mullioned window to the left of the porch is an original. An arched doorway is Tudor style.Lisle Combe
Lisle Combe is an English country house on the Undercliff near Ventnor, Isle of Wight. In 1929, Alfred Noyes resided there; Hugh Noyes lived there subsequently. The house was first built in 1839 for the second son of Lord Yarborough. It was originally rectangular.
A wing addition in 1843 included a single-storey link. Another renovation followed in 1849. The many-gabled house of sandstone features fretted bargeboards, windows with square-sided bays and small oriels, a veranda, and brick work.Mottistone Manor
Mottistone Manor is a National Trust property in the village of Mottistone on the Isle of Wight. It has popular gardens and is a listed building. It was first mentioned in documents related to the Domesday Book.Needles Lighthouse
The Needles Lighthouse is an active 19th century lighthouse on the outermost of the chalk rocks at The Needles on the Isle of Wight in the United Kingdom, near sea level. Designed by James Walker, for Trinity House at a cost of £20,000. It was completed in 1859 from granite blocks, stands 33.25 metres (109.1 ft) high and is a circular tower with straight sides. It replaced an earlier light tower on top of a cliff overhanging Scratchell's Bay, which was first lit on 29 September 1786.Ryde Pier
Ryde Pier is an early 19th century pier serving the town of Ryde, on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England. It is the world's oldest seaside pleasure pier.Shanklin railway station
Shanklin railway station is a Grade II listed railway station serving Shanklin on the Isle of Wight. It is the present terminus of the Island Line from Ryde, although the line used to continue to Wroxall and Ventnor. The station now has one platform with a ticket office and a small shop with the second platform now in use as a flower bed. The former subway has been filled in.
Passengers can change onto Southern Vectis buses to Ventnor and St Lawrence.Sheat Manor
Sheat Manor is a manor house in Chillerton, on the Isle of Wight, England. Considered to be one of the island's antiquities, Sheat manor house, is a fine old gabled mansion now used as a farmhouse. It has a pond and swans. It contains some interesting Jacobite carving. Sheat was one of the few properties whose Anglo-Saxon owner, Alaric, was not disturbed by the Norman invasion. It was run by the Urry family for some time.St Catherine's Lighthouse
St Catherine's Lighthouse is a lighthouse located at St Catherine's Point at the southern tip of the Isle of Wight. It is one of the oldest lighthouse locations in Great Britain.Standen House
Standen House is an English country house located 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Newport, Isle of Wight. The 18th-century house has a brick front and features seven-bay windows, a porch with Doric columns, and triglyph frieze. Made of brick, it is located at the base of Pan Down. To its right is situated the park of Gatcombe, which itself lies in a valley which includes the winding River Medina. Gatcombe House lies opposite Standen House, separated by the river and woods. Great East Standen Manor is nearby.Thorley Manor
Thorley Manor is a manor house just outside Yarmouth, on the Isle of Wight, England. Built in 1712, it features a modillion cornice, hipped roof, as well as tall chimneys.Warden Point Battery
Warden Point Battery is a battery on the Isle of Wight begun in 1862, that was originally armed with 7-inch and 9-inch rifled muzzle loaders on barbette mountings.
It was built in the 1890s for 9.2-inch breech loader guns. In use until 1936, and in World War II as a command post and searchlight battery. The battery was a regular polygon with central caponier on the landward side, and flanking caponiers at the North and South corners. The central caponier and North -East loopholed wall remain.
The site spent a considerable number of years after the second world war as a holiday camp. Following the closure of that, the housing estate was started. Unconfirmed information from the builders on a visit to the site suggests that some of the historic features will be retained. These include the main wall and entrance arch to the battery and some of the concrete emplacements. The latter will be built over, but protected so that they can be "re-discovered" if and when the newer buildings are demolished. At time of writing, the building work has been suspended.It is now a Grade II Listed Building.Westcourt Manor
Westcourt Manor (alternates: West Court Manor, or South Shorwell) is one of three manor houses, along with Woolverton and Northcourt, that is located in Shorwell, on the Isle of Wight, England. According to the Domesday Book, it was part of the possessions of Gozehne Fitz Azor, and had been held in the time of the Edward the Confessor by Ulnod in abeyance. At the time of the countess Isabella's record, we find that Sir John Lisle had this manor, with many others, which he held of her in capite, or by knight's service. It was possessed by Colonel Hill. An Elizabethan manor, it is connected to a farm of 200 acres.