There are over 20,000 Grade II* listed buildings in England. This list includes those in South Yorkshire.
Media related to Grade II* listed buildings in South Yorkshire at Wikimedia CommonsCannon Hall
Cannon Hall is a country house museum located between the villages of Cawthorne and High Hoyland some 5 miles (8 km) west of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. Originally the home of the Spencer and later the Spencer-Stanhope family, it now houses collections of fine furniture, paintings, ceramics and glassware. It at one time housed the Regimental Museum of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) and the Light Dragoons, which has now closed. Now occupying four rooms in the east wing is the "Family of Artists" exhibition on loan from the De Morgan Foundation, which draws on the links between the Spencer Stanhopes and the De Morgans.The building is constructed of coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings with a symmetrical layout of a central 3-storey block of 5 bays and slightly set back 2-storey side wings of 3 bays.Cantley Hall
Cantley Hall is a grade II* listed Georgian mansion set in 400 acres (160 ha), in the village of Old Cantley in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England.
It is constructed in two storeys of stuccoed brick with a graduated Westmorland slate roof.Doncaster railway station
Doncaster railway station is on the East Coast Main Line in the United Kingdom, serving the town of Doncaster, South Yorkshire. It is 155 miles 77 chains (251.0 km) down the line from London King's Cross and is situated between Retford and York on the main line. It is managed by London North Eastern Railway.
It is a major passenger interchange between the main line, Cross Country Route and local services running across the North of England. It is also the point for which London North Eastern Railway services branching off to Leeds diverge from the main route continuing north towards Edinburgh.Hall Cross Academy
Hall Cross Academy (formerly Hall Cross School and Doncaster Grammar School), founded in 1350, is a co-educational academy in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England.Hickleton Hall
Hickleton Hall is a Grade II* listed Georgian stately home in Hickleton, South Yorkshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) west of Doncaster. For more than 50 years (until 2012) it was a Sue Ryder Care home. It was being converted to luxury apartments, and now for sale again.
It was built in 1745–48 of limestone ashlar with graduated slate roofs. The main range has a seven-bay frontage with flanking pavilions.Hoober Stand
Hoober Stand is a 30-metre-high (98 ft) tower and Grade II* listed building on a ridge in Wentworth, South Yorkshire in northern England. It was designed by Henry Flitcroft for the Whig aristocrat Thomas Watson-Wentworth, Earl of Malton (later the 1st Marquess of Rockingham) to commemorate the quashing of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. It lies close to his country seat Wentworth Woodhouse. Its site is approximately 157 metres (515 ft) above sea level and from the top there are long-distance views on a clear day. It is open to the public 2–5 pm on Sundays and bank holiday Mondays from the spring bank holiday weekend until the last Sunday in September. Hoober Stand is one of several follies in and around Wentworth Woodhouse park; the others include Needle's Eye and Keppel's Column. Sidney Oldall Addy, the Sheffield author calls the structure Woburn Stand in his 1888 book, A glossary of words used in the neighbourhood of Sheffield.Hooton Pagnell Hall
Hooton Pagnell Hall is a historic house in Hooton Pagnell, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, occupied by the Warde family since the 18th century.Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, Bawtry
The Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, Bawtry was a charity established in Bawtry in the thirteenth century. The surviving chapel building is now a masonic lodge and Grade II listed.Houndhill
Houndhill is a substantial Grade II listed Tudor Farmhouse (part timber-framed) in Worsbrough, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
The present house, which dates from the late 16th century with 17th-century additions, was originally built by Robert Elmhirst. His son Richard Elmhirst, who sided with the Royalists, constructed the fortifications in 1642 at the beginning of the English Civil War. It was extensively renovated in 1934.
The house is built in ashlar, with a stone slate roof in two storeys to an H-shaped plan. The older wing is timber framed.Keppel's Column
Keppel's Column is a 115-foot (35 m) tower Grade II* listed building between Wentworth and Kimberworth in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. Keppel's Column is one of several follies in and around Wentworth Woodhouse park; the others include Hoober Stand and Needle's Eye.Kiveton Hall
Kiveton Hall was a 17th-century house in Kiveton Park, near Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England.
The house was constructed in 1698 by Thomas Osborne, 1st Duke of Leeds, and was demolished in 1812 by his fifth-great-grandson, George Osborne, 6th Duke of Leeds.Lowe Stand
Lowe Stand is an 18th-century folly built for Thomas Watson-Wentworth, 1st Marquess of Rockingham, and likely originally intended as a hunting lodge. It is situated in the South Yorkshire town of Hoyland, 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Barnsley. Today the stand is a Grade II listed building but is in a fairly advanced state of decay. In 2008 the deeds were handed over from the council to voluntary group, the Friends of Hoyland Lowe Stand (now the Lowe Stand Trust). The council has given permission to restore it according to the plan produced.Needle's Eye
Needle's Eye is a 14-metre (46 ft) pyramid Grade II* listed building which is situated in Wentworth, South Yorkshire in northern England. Needle's Eye is one of several follies in and around Wentworth Woodhouse park; the others include Hoober Stand and Keppel's Column.Nether Hall, Doncaster
Nether Hall is a large mansion in Doncaster. It is a Grade II listed building.RAF Bawtry
RAF Bawtry was a Royal Air Force station located at Bawtry Hall in Bawtry, South Yorkshire, England and was No. 1 Group RAF Bomber Command headquarters and administration unit during and following the Second World War.Roche Abbey
Roche Abbey is a now-ruined abbey in the civil parish of Maltby, South Yorkshire, England. It is in the valley of Maltby Dyke (known locally as Maltby Beck), and is administered by English Heritage. It is a scheduled monument and a Grade II* listed building.St Leonard's Hospital, Tickhill
St Leonard's Hospital is a grade II* listed timber-framed building in Tickhill, South Yorkshire, in England. It was originally constructed in the 15th century as a monastic building.
The first hospital in Tickhill dedicated to Saint Leonard was on Spital Hill, a marshy location outside the built-up part of the town, considered suitable as accommodation for lepers. It was already in existence by 1225, when Walter de Gray, Archbishop of York, deplored the decayed condition of the friars attending and called for charitable donations. The lepers were first mentioned in 1236, while from 1290, John Clarel attempted to improve conditions at the hospital. There has been scholarly debate as to whether this is the same foundation as that of St Thomas in the marsh, a cell of Humberston Abbey.In 1470, the hospital was relocated to the north side of Tickhill Market Place. An inscription above the door suggests that the rebuilding was the work of a John Leftwul. The reasons for the move are unknown, but David Hey notes that this must have involved a change in purpose, as town centres were not considered suitable locations for lepers. The building eventually declined; by the 1840s, it was used as tenements, but the facade was substantially intact. It was heavily restored in 1851, with the upper floor being completely rebuilt in a Gothic revival style. In 1898, it was purchased by the local parish church, who turned it into a parish meeting room. It was again restored in 2007.As it stands, the hospital has ten bays separated by wooden posts, carrying half-fan vaulting supporting an oversailing upper storey. The top floor has three distinctive windows with straight sides but pointed heads. It was made a listed building in 1961 and is currently listed at grade II*.Walker Mausoleum
The Walker Mausoleum is located at 53.4313°N 1.3655°W / 53.4313; -1.3655 on College Road, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. The sandstone mausoleum was built in the 1760s as the burial site for the families of Samuel and Aaron Walker and is now a Grade II listed building.
The mausoleum is located in the cemetery of Masbrough Chapel, which was founded by the Walker family, when they split from the Rotherham Methodist meeting in 1762. The cemetery also holds the graves of other local industrial families including the Oxleys, Beatsons, Clarks, and Habershons.Wortley Hall
Wortley Hall is a stately home in the small South Yorkshire village of Wortley, located south of Barnsley. For more than six decades the hall has been chiefly associated with the British Labour movement. It is currently used by several trades unions and other organisations as a venue for residential training courses and other meetings, as well as for purely social gatherings.
The building is constructed of sandstone ashlar with graduated slate roofs to an irregular floor plan, mostly in 2 storeys with a 7-bay south front.The hall is a licensed venue for wedding and civil partnership ceremonies, and is open to day visitors who wish to explore its formal gardens and extensive grounds.