Godshill is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight with a population of 1,465 according to the 2001 census, reducing slightly to 1,459 at the 2011 Census. It is located between Newport and Ventnor in the southeast of the Island.
Thatched cottages in Godshill
|Area||19.7930 km2 (7.6421 sq mi) |
|Population||1,459 (2011 census including Hale Common , Roud and Sandford)|
|• Density||74/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Isle of Wight|
|Ambulance||Isle of Wight|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Godshill Park House dates from about 1760 and was built as a home farm to serve the Appuldurcombe Estate. In around 1860 the house was extended, adding the Regency front and became a private residence. It was used in the Second World War as an army hospital.
Godshill has pubs called the "Griffin"- featuring a large griffin-shaped maze and children's playground, and "The Taverners".
Since 1952 Godshill has been the home of a model village of itself and Shanklin's old village at a scale of 1:10. It is so detailed and on such a large scale that it contains a scale model of the model village. Within that second model there is a third, even smaller model of the village.
All Saints' Church, Godshill is a parish church in the Church of England located in Godshill, Isle of Wight.Bathingbourne
Bathingbourne is a farming hamlet in the southeastern part of the Isle of Wight. It is located on Bathingbourne Lane, northwest of Apse Heath and southwest of Hale Common. Bathingborne is part of the town of Sandown.
Several businesses, holiday accommodations and farms are present in Bathingbourne. Bathingbourne farms produce livestock and garlic.Bathingbourne was the name of a manor in the ancient civil parish of Godshill. It was alternatively known as "Baddingbourne" and "Bangbourne" in the 16th century, but before that it was earlier known as Beaddingaburn (10th century, Bedingeborne (11th century), Baddingebourne (13th century), and Bathyngbourne (14th century). Bathingbourne was one of five manors granted by King Eadwig (reigned 955-959) to members of his thegn, although a previous charter of King Edred (reigned 946-955) also parcelled out this land, but Edred's charter divided the land along different boundaries. The Domesday Book in 1086 listed Bathingbourne in its records of English settlements.Chillerton
Chillerton is a village between Newport and Chale in the Isle of Wight in southern England. Chillerton is in the middle of a farming community. The appropriate civil parish is called Chillerton and Gatcombe.
The nearby Chillerton Down is the site of an unfinished Iron Age promontory fort and a 229-metre (751 ft) antenna for the Isle of Wight radio station broadcasting on 107.00 MHz, as well as several other stations. It is the village's most prominent feature and can be seen from most parts of the island. It is known as the Chillerton Down transmitting station. Chillerton Down is flown by Paragliders in a E to SE wind and on days with good thermals the top of the mast can be reached.
In 1907, a contract was signed that ensured that properties older than 1907 in Chillerton and nearby Gatcombe would receive free water, while newer homes receive it at a reduced rate. In 2009 Southern Water proposed that everyone to pay the same rate, claiming that the reasoning behind the initial pact is now invalid, as the costs for the original project have since been paid off.Originally, the main school was Chillerton and Rookley Primary School, located on the Main Road in Chillerton. It was a small village school with a total of 43 students on roll from local areas as of 2008. However, in 2010 it was announced that the school would be combining with primary schools in Godshill and Wroxall. The new school would have two campuses, in Godshill and Wroxall.Public transport is provided by Southern Vectis bus route 6, which runs between Newport and Ventnor and Wightbus route 36, running between Newport and Moortown.Cridmore Bog
Cridmore Bog is a 14.4 hectare Site of special scientific interest which is west of Godshill. The site was notified in 1985 for its biological features. It is adjacent to "The Wilderness", another SSSI in this area of the Isle of WightFrankenbury Camp
Frankenbury Camp is the site of an Iron Age univallate hillfort located in Hampshire. The site is on a very slight promontory overlooking the Avon Valley on the north-western edge of the New Forest. The fort encloses approximately 11 acres. It has very steep natural slopes on the west and south sides. The northeast sides are defended by a simple rampart and ditch. The original entrance on the southeast corner has since been widened. It is listed as a scheduled ancient monument no.122. The site is currently pasture, and part of Folds Farm, for the most part, although the earthworks themselves are lined with trees and the south and western parts are now encroached by woodland. Various archaeological relics have been found in the area:
Iron Age/Roman Pottery:
At a permanent caravan site in an old gravel pit grid reference SU165142
Located east of caravan site in old gravel pit.grid reference SU165142
On farmland east of Criddlestyle grid reference SU161142.
Garden Cottage, Godshill. Located behind the cottage.grid reference SU174149
Located north west of Mews Hill Copsegrid reference SU165142Iron Age Coins
Durotrigian Silver Stater found in garden of Ambridge, Tinker's Cross, 1969.grid reference SU142158Roman Coins:
Found behind either Redlands or Garden Cottage, Godshill grid reference SU174149
Located in the garden of Avon Lodge. 1930. A coin of Constantine 306-337 A.D grid reference SU153141The artefacts are now in Salisbury Museum.Godshill, Hampshire
Godshill is a village and civil parish and in New Forest National Park in Hampshire, England. It is about 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) east of the town of Fordingbridge and 10 miles (16 km) south of the city of Salisbury.Godshill railway station
Godshill station opened on 20 July 1897 at Godshill on the Isle of Wight on the Newport, Godshill & St Lawrence Railway, later the Isle of Wight Central Railway. It opened as a single platform station with a small goods siding and this layout remained until closure. The station was reduced to the status of an unstaffed halt in 1927.
The station was not a financial success and never brought a large income to managers. There was some agricultural traffic, notably milk, and a few local passengers until the bus services became well established.Hale Common
Hale Common is a farming hamlet on the Isle of Wight. Hale Common is on the A3056 road between Lake and Arreton. Hale Common is northeast of Bathingbourne and northwest of Branstone. It is in the civil parish of Godshill.List of electoral wards in Isle of Wight
This is a list of electoral divisions and wards in the ceremonial county of Isle of Wight in South East England. All changes since the re-organisation of local government following the passing of the Local Government Act 1972 are shown. The number of councillors elected for each electoral division or ward is shown in brackets.List of places in Hampshire
Map of places in Hampshire compiled from this list
This is a list of settlements in the county of Hampshire, England. Places highlighted in bold type are towns.
The Isle of Wight was in Hampshire until 1890.1 Bournemouth and adjacent parishes in the far west2 were transferred to the ceremonial and administrative county of Dorset in 1974.Merstone
Merstone is a quaint little hamlet on the Isle of Wight. It is home to Merston Manor, built in 1605 in the Jacobean style by Edward Cheeke, and rebuilt in the Victorian era. Merston Manor was first mentioned in the Domesday Book, and the present structure is arguably the oldest brick house on the Island. Prior to the Norman Conquest, Merston Manor was owned by the Brictuin family. The manor now belongs to the Crofts family. According to the Post Office the population of the hamlet was at the 2011 Census included in the civil parish of Arreton.
Although the manor was considered the most important residence, from 1928 onwards, the Latheys (distant relatives of Anne Boleyn - Henry VIII's second wife) were considered to be the most important family to reside in the hamlet, bringing about change and somewhat encouraging the residents to modernise more hastily. One prominent member of the Lathey family, Michael Lathey Jnr became infamous among the occupants of the hamlet due to a string of practical jokes paid on the townsfolk of Newport and its people. One of which was risking his safety to venture into Newport alone and steal the town crest during the great feud (see below) - which was only recently recovered in 1998.
While Merstone has always been considered to be in the Newport district, conflicts have broken out between rival clans; the Merstone Goldwings and the Newport Broadleaves, the quarrels began after a farmer hailing from Merstone accused a man who resided in Newport of stealing three sheep. No-one was killed in the clashes but homes were torched and property vandalized. However, since the early 1900s the disagreements were settled as Newport residents thought it would be better for the town and hamlet to get along since the citizens of Newport needed to use the newly built railway to Ventnor.
Merstone is near the centre of the Island, roughly equidistant from Blackwater to the northwest, Horringford to the east, and Godshill to the south.
In 1875 Merstone station was opened on the Newport to Sandown railway line. In 1897 the station became the starting point of a branch opened by the Isle of Wight Central Railway to St. Lawrence, and completed to Ventnor West in 1900. In 1952 the branch closed, and in 1956, the station and original railway line skirting the hamlet were also closed. The island platform of the former station is still visible adjacent to National Cycle Route 23.
Well-known island architect Percy Goddard Stone, born 15 March 1856, died in The Cottage at Merstone on 21 March 1934. Stone was responsible for many stone monuments on the Island, such as the County War memorial at Carisbrooke Castle, and war memorials in Arreton, Bembridge and Yarmouth, as well as the Queen Victoria memorial in Newport and churches in Wootton and Cowes.
Public transport is now provided by Southern Vectis on bus route 2, which operates between Newport and Sandown via Shanklin including intermediate villages.Rookley
Rookley is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight. It is located five kilometres south of Newport near the centre of the island.
It has a country park on the site of the last working Isle of Wight brickworks. There is a pub at the country park and another, the "Chequers", a short distance from the village. The latter was the centre of the island's smuggling trade in the 18th century.
Southern Vectis bus route 3 serves the village on its way between Newport, Ventnor, Shanklin, Sandown and Ryde, including intermediate villages.The Village Association Playing Field in Highwood Lane hosts Godshill Cricket Club who compete in Division Two of the Harwoods Renault Isle of Wight League. It is also home to Rookley Football Club which is managed by Paul Wright. Rookley have two teams in the island leagues: their firsts in League 2 and reserves in Combination 2. Two major events are held in the field each year: Gardening Galore and Rookley Show.Roud, Isle of Wight
Roud is a hamlet on the Isle of Wight in southern England.According to the Post Office the population of the hamlet as at the 2011 census was included in the civil parish of Godshill.Sandford, Isle of Wight
Sandford is a hamlet on the Isle of Wight. Sandford is on the outskirts of Godshill (where the 2011 population was listed) in the southeast part of the island. Sandford has a latitude of 50°37′48.23″N 1°13′45.63″W. Sandford is located on the A 3020 road and public transport is provided by bus route 2 and 3, run by Southern Vectis.
Sandford hosts several businesses, including some farms and a boarding cattery. The Sandford Primitive Methodist Chapel is in Sandford.Sandford has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1086. There were two mills in Sandford. Sandford was the site of brickmaking operations in the past.Sandy Balls
Sandy Balls is 120 acres (0.49 km2) of woods and parkland near the New Forest in Hampshire, England. Located between the village of Godshill and the town of Fordingbridge, it is bounded on the western edge by the River Avon. Now run as a holiday centre, Sandy Balls is owned by Away Resorts.The Wilderness SSSI, Isle of Wight
The Wilderness is a 12.6 hectare Site of special scientific interest which is west of Godshill on the Isle of Wight. The site was notified in 1951 due to its status as one of the only surviving pieces of peatland vegetation that remain on the Isle of Wight, and the boundary was slightly modified in 1984 to incorporate some nearby grassland. The majority of the site is composed of unmanaged woodland, dominated by a canopy of oak and sallow trees, sheltering large areas of bramble and tussock sedge.Ventnor West Branch
The Ventnor West Branch was the final addition to the Isle of Wight railway network, and used an earlier scheme to run a railway from Shanklin to the railwayless south-west part of the island.Whitwell Halt railway station
Whitwell Station, on the Ventnor West branch of the Isle of Wight Central Railway, was opened on 26 July 1897 along with the other stations on the branch (with the exception of Ventnor West which opened in 1900). It was equipped with a passing loop, two platforms, a signal box and a substantial station building.Woodgreen
Woodgreen is a village and civil parish within the New Forest district of Hampshire in England.
Isle of Wight Portal
Settlements on the Isle of Wight