Godhra is a Municipality in Panchmahal district in Indian state of Gujarat. It is the administrative headquarters of the Panchmahal district. Originally the name came from gou which means "cow" and dhara which has two meanings: one in Sanskrit which means "hold" or "land" and the other in Hindi which means "flow": It means the Land of the Cow. People of Godhra are very festive. Godhra is very well known for its Garba-Festival.
Godhra is widely known in India and internationally for being the starting point of the 2002 Gujarat riots. Statewide religious riots between Hindus and Muslims began after the Godhra train burning incident near the Godhra railway station on 27 February 2002, where about 56 train passengers were burnt alive. It was in Godhra that Vallabhbhai Patel first met Gandhi in 1917 and was subsequently drawn into the Indian freedom struggle.
- The word "Godhra" means the land of cows. As per local folklore, cows used to come here from Pavagadh for grazing.
- AD 975: A bronze of Lord Rishabhanath of AD 975 found at Akota mentions Gohadra kula, i.e., the school of Jain monks at Gohadra.
- AD 1415: The historical name of Godhra is "Godhrahk", which was established by Parmar king named Dhudhul Mandalik in A.D. 1415.
- 15th Century: Five hundred years ago, the respectable Saint Shrimad Vallabhacharya in his morning ritual speech gave the example of his dream city. He explained how the city which was seen in dream by her daughter was handed over by a Muslim resident to a Hindu family.
- Godhra has more then 100 mosque, And Asia Biggest Muslim Grave Yard.
- Godhra is one of the religious places in the India which has four bethaks (temples) for Vaishnav Sampraday. There are two main seats of Lord Gokulnathji and one each for Lord Gusaiji and Lord Mahaprabhuji. Godhra is the only city in India that has all three seats (or bhaitaks) of the Mahaprabhuji, Gusianji, and Gokulnathji.
- Godhra has three beautiful Jain temples. The main idol (or Mul Nayak) in the Jain Temple is of Shantinath. It also has a popular temple called the 'Trimandir', a non-sectarian temple founded by Dada Bhagwan in the Bhamaiya area (Ahmedabad Road). 
- Year 2011: As of 2011 India census,
- Godhra had a population of 143,644
- Males constitute 51.67% of the population and females 48.32%
- Godhra has an average literacy rate of 87.51%, higher than the national average of 74.04%
- Male literacy is 92.25%, and female literacy is 82.44%
- Year 2001: As of 2001 India census,
- Godhra had a population of 121,852.
- Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%.
- Godhra has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%
- Male literacy is 79.5%, and female literacy is 64.5%.
Godhra is connected to all major towns of Gujarat by public transport service operated by GSRTC. And Godhra is Railway Junction that connects Godhra with different parts of state and nation
Godhra has an average literacy rate of 87.51%, higher than the national average of 59.5%
- Shri Govind Guru University
- Darul Uloom Rahmaniyah, the Islamic university of Godhra, located 2 km out of Godhra
- GEC Godhra. (Government Engineering College)
- Aman Day School
- New Era High School (Primary Section is Dr. Chamanlal Mehta Primary School)
- Calorx Public School
- M & M Mehta High School (Primary Section is Anaj Mahajan Primary School)
- Nalanda School
- St. Arnolds High School
- G.N. Junior Public School (Bhuaravav Road)
- Sharda Mandir (T. C. Soni)
- Sri Sri Ravishankar Vidyamandir(CBSE)
- Rotary English Medium School
- Delhi Public School (CBSE)
- Jay Jalaram International High School, Parvadi
- Telang Vanijya High School
- Nityam International School (Nityam Vidhya Vihar School, Kangaroo Pa Pa Pagli School)
- Kendriya Vidayalaya, Godhra (CBSE)
- The Iqbal Union High School
- The Iqbal Girls High School
- Meccab Memorial High School
- The Saifee Jamali English High School
- Acharya Narendradev Girls High School
- Unnati Vidhyalay
- Navrachna High School etc...
- VMPatel Institute (Private ITI)
- Usmangani (RD).School.Gondra Godhra *Other educational institutions like Student's brain development Institute Who run programs like UCMAS, Vedic Maths, Spoken English
There are several colleges in Godhra for various studies, like
- Sheth P. T. Arts & Science College, Godhra
- Shree Sarvajanik Commerce College, Godhra
- Shamlaji Homeopathic College, Vavdi
- Shree Ghantakarna Mahaveer Physiotherapy College, Vavdi
- General Nursing School, General Hospital
- Government Engineering College, Chhabanpur
- Government Polytechnic College, Godhra
- Industrial Training Institute (ITI), Godhra
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology, Godhra affiliated to Anand Agricultural University, Anand. Located at Dholakuwa 5 km away from Godhra on Dahod highway.
Mesri River, Ramsagar Lake, Naheru Garden and in far east Kanelav Lake represents nature's beauty.
- ^ Dasgupta, Manas (2011-03-06). "It was not a random attack on S-6 but kar sevaks were targeted, says judge". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- ^ Gandhi, Rajmohan (1 January 2011). Patel a Life. Navjivan trust. ISBN 8172291388.
- ^ Akota Bronzes, Umakant P. Shah, 1959, p. 57-58.
- ^ "The Godhra Trimandir". Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- ^ "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.