Georgetown street renaming
The Georgetown street renaming occurred as a result of an 1895 act of the United States Congress that ended even the nominal independence of Georgetown from Washington, D.C. The Act required, inter alia, that the street names in Georgetown be changed to conform to the street-naming system in use in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. However, the old street names were shown on maps as late as 1899.
The lists below set forth the old and new names of Georgetown's streets. Because most east–west streets are not continuous across Wisconsin Avenue, separate lists are provided for those east–west streets that are north of M Street and either east or west of Wisconsin Avenue.
North–south streets, east to west
||Thomas Jefferson Street
East–west streets, south to north
M Street and south
North of M Street
|Old name, east of Wisconsin Avenue
||Old name, west of Wisconsin Avenue
||spelling changed slightly to Dumbarton Street
|Stoddert (or Stoddard) Street
- ^ Tindall, William (1907). Origin and government of the District of Columbia. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 27.
- ^ Taggart, Hugh Thomas (1908). Old Georgetown. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New Era Print. Co.
- ^ "Is it Dumbarton St. or Avenue?". The Georgetown Metropolitan. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- ^ a b c d e "Letter from Washington". The Baltimore Sun. February 17, 1874. p. 4.
- ^ Monroe Street had also been known as Rock Street and Mill Street
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.