Freshwater is a large village and civil parish at the western end of the Isle of Wight, England. Freshwater Bay is a small cove on the south coast of the Island which also gives its name to the nearby part of Freshwater. Freshwater sits at the western end of the region known as the Back of the Wight or the West Wight which is a popular tourist area.
Freshwater Bay, December 2013
|Area||14.4846 km2 (5.5925 sq mi) |
|Population||5,369 (2011 census)|
|• Density||371/km2 (960/sq mi)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Isle of Wight|
|Ambulance||Isle of Wight|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Freshwater is famous for its geology and coastal rock formations that have resulted from centuries worth of coastal erosion. The "Arch Rock" was a well-known local landmark that collapsed on 25 October 1992. The neighbouring "Stag Rock" is so named because supposedly a stag leaped to the rock from the cliff to escape during a hunt. Another huge slab fell off the cliff face in 1968, and is now known as the "Mermaid Rock". Immediately behind Mermaid Rock lies a small Sea cave that cuts several metres into the new cliff.
Freshwater's beach is very popular. It is mostly sandy but it is also covered in chalk from the nearby cliffs, which is frequently gathered by tourists as souvenirs.
Freshwater features an excellent example of a surviving Victorian Beach hotel, The Albion. The Albion was built around the time Freshwater became popularised as a coastal resort, and is still popular today. However, heavy storms which often lift rocks and other debris from the beach means that the building's exterior walls often have to be repainted, with cracks, chips and dents in the walls often being repaired too.
The hills above Freshwater are named after Tennyson. On the nearby Tennyson Down is a Cornish granite cross erected in 1897 in tribute to Tennyson, "by the people of Freshwater, and other friends in England and America." There is also a hill in the area called 'Hooke Hill', named for Robert Hooke.
All Saints' Church, Freshwater is one of the oldest churches on the Isle of Wight, and was listed in the Domesday survey of 1086. Mark Whatson is the pastor of All Saints, which is an Anglican church in the Anglican Diocese of Portsmouth. A primary school associated with the church is nearby. There is a marble memorial commemorating Tennyson in All Saints Church. Tennyson's wife Emily and other family members are buried in the church cemetery. The church is also the site of a memorial to Tennyson's son, Lionel Tennyson, who died of malaria in 1886.
Tennyson's son, Hallam donated land for a new church in Freshwater Bay. Hallam's wife Audrey suggested that the church be named for St. Agnes. St. Agnes' Church, Freshwater was consecrated on 12 August 1908. It is the only thatched church on the Isle of Wight.
Freshwater was the site of the largest station on the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway that operated from 20 July 1889 to 21 September 1953. The station location is now occupied by a supermarket and garden centre.
Freshwater is near the source of the Western Yar, a river whose estuary runs north to Yarmouth. Freshwater Marshes are a Site of Special Scientific Interest, and a large part of the Marshes are also a Local Nature Reserve called Afton Marshes.
At the western end of Freshwater Bay on a bluff are the remains of Fort Redoubt, also known as Fort Freshwater or Freshwater Redoubt, a Palmerston Fort. Fort Redoubt was built in 1855-1856 to protect Freshwater Bay, and was in use until the early 20th century. It was sold by the military in 1928. Presently, part of it is a private residence, and other portions are being developed as holiday flats. A doorway carved into the cliff below the fort was the main access to the building from the beach, although most of the iron stairway that formerly gave access has broken up due to the repeated actions of rust and the tide.
Two unusual structures that have been described as ice houses, pottery kilns or crematoria are found on Moons Hill in Freshwater. Robert Walker was the first to excavate these features in the 1890s, and he thought they were evidence of a Phoenician settlement in Freshwater. Chemical analyses suggest that they were most likely lime kilns.
The renowned scientist Robert Hooke (1635–1703) was born in Freshwater in 1635. His father John Hooke was the curate of All Saints Church in Freshwater. When Hooke's father died in 1648, Hooke left Freshwater for London to be apprenticed to portrait painter Peter Lely. After that, he went to Westminster School and then Oxford.
Painter George Morland lived in Freshwater in a structure known as the "Cabin" around 1800.
British Poet laureate Alfred Lord Tennyson lived at nearby Farringford House (on the road between Freshwater and Alum Bay). Tennyson lived at Farringford from 1853 until the end of his life in 1892. Tennyson wrote of Farringford:
“Where, far from noise and smoke of town
I watch the twilight falling brown,
All round a careless-ordered garden,
Close to the ridge of a noble down.”
Tennyson rented Farringford in 1853, and then bought it in 1856. He found that there were too many starstruck tourists who pestered him in Farringford, so he moved to "Aldworth", a stately home on a hill known as Blackdown between Lurgashall and Fernhurst, about 2 km south of Haslemere in West Sussex in 1869. However, he returned to Farringford to spend the winters.
In 1960, Dekyi Tseri, mother of the current Dalai Lama, stayed at the guest house of Sir Basil Gould's widow Cecily in Freshwater for six weeks. Tseri, known to Tibetans as "Amala", meaning "The Great Mother", was recuperating after a throat operation to remove a benign polyp performed at St. Mary's Hospital in London.
Freshwater was also the birthplace of Sir Vivian Ernest Fuchs FRS (11 February 1908 – 11 November 1999). An English explorer whose expeditionary team completed the first overland crossing of Antarctica in 1958.
The Freshwater Village Association was created in November 2006. The Freshwater Village Association was formed by Freshwater residents who are concerned that Freshwater might lose its identity as a village. The Freshwater Bay Residents Association was created on 2 July 1984, with the goal of expressing concern about the development of Freshwater Bay.
Freshwater Lifeboat is an independent lifesaving organisation based in Freshwater Bay. It operates the Freshwater Bay Lifeboat Station on the promenade along Freshwater Bay and two lifeboats from public donations and profits from shop sales, since it is not part of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
It hosts the Freshwater and Totland Carnival every year.
Freshwater is the headquarters of the Robert Hooke Society, who have created a walking trail around the area called the "Hooke Trail" to visit sites associated with him. They hold bi-monthly meetings at the Island Planetarium at Fort Victoria, a yearly Memorial Luncheon on 3 March on the date of his death and week-long celebrations of his birthday, 18 July.
There is evidence of a Roman harbour at the end of the Western Yar. In 530 AD, the island fell to a combined force of Saxons and Jutes. After the Norman Conquest, Lord of the island William Fitz Osbern gave the Saxon All Saints' Church and its tithes to the Norman Abbey of Lyre sometime between 1066 and his death in 1071. In 1414 all alien priories were seized by the Crown. In 1623, when King James I gave Freshwater Parish to John Williams, Bishop of Lincoln, Williams then granted Freshwater to St John's College, Cambridge on 24 March 1623.
The Freshwater Parish originally was composed of five farms, known as "tuns": Norton, Sutton, Easton, Weston and Middleton. All of these place names still exist, except for Sutton, which is now called Freshwater Bay (previously Freshwater Gate). The first meeting of the Freshwater Parish Council was on 31 December 1894.
There are several attractions within the immediate area:
Not all of these attractions are within the formal boundaries of the village.
Freshwater is linked to other parts of the Island by Southern Vectis buses on route 7 and route 12 serving Totland, Yarmouth and Newport as well as intermediate villages. In the Summer, open top bus "The Needles Tour" and tourist service "Island Coaster" serve Freshwater Bay. Freshwater is on the Isle of Wight Coastal Path.
Media related to Freshwater, Isle of Wight at Wikimedia CommonsAlfred, Lord Tennyson
Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson (6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892) was a British poet. He was the Poet Laureate of Great Britain and Ireland during much of Queen Victoria's reign and remains one of the most popular British poets. In 1829, Tennyson was awarded the Chancellor's Gold Medal at Cambridge for one of his first pieces, "Timbuktu". He published his first solo collection of poems, Poems Chiefly Lyrical in 1830. "Claribel" and "Mariana", which remain some of Tennyson's most celebrated poems, were included in this volume. Although decried by some critics as overly sentimental, his verse soon proved popular and brought Tennyson to the attention of well-known writers of the day, including Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Tennyson's early poetry, with its medievalism and powerful visual imagery, was a major influence on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.
Tennyson also excelled at penning short lyrics, such as "Break, Break, Break", "The Charge of the Light Brigade", "Tears, Idle Tears", and "Crossing the Bar". Much of his verse was based on classical mythological themes, such as "Ulysses", although "In Memoriam A.H.H." was written to commemorate his friend Arthur Hallam, a fellow poet and student at Trinity College, Cambridge, after he died of a stroke at the age of 22. Tennyson also wrote some notable blank verse including Idylls of the King, "Ulysses", and "Tithonus". During his career, Tennyson attempted drama, but his plays enjoyed little success.
A number of phrases from Tennyson's work have become commonplaces of the English language, including "Nature, red in tooth and claw" (In Memoriam A.H.H.), "'Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all", "Theirs not to reason why, / Theirs but to do and die", "My strength is as the strength of ten, / Because my heart is pure", "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield", "Knowledge comes, but Wisdom lingers", and "The old order changeth, yielding place to new". He is the ninth most frequently quoted writer in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.All Saints' Church, Freshwater
All Saints' Church, Freshwater is a parish church in the Church of England located in Freshwater, Isle of Wight.Anthony Morgan of Freshwater
Major Anthony Morgan (died 1729) of Freshwater, Isle of Wight was a British Army officer, and politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1695 and 1729. He was a Lieutenant-Governor of the Isle of Wight,Edward Rushworth (diplomat)
Sir Edward Everard Rushworth (23 August 1818 – 10 August 1877) was an eminent British diplomat in the 19th century.He was born in Freshwater, Isle of Wight in 1818 and educated at St John’s College, Oxford, graduating BCL in 1840 and DCL in 1844.He married Amelia Adelaide de les Derniers at St Paul's Cathedral in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 13 January 1855. Later that
Year he replaced Hercules Robinson as the Administrator of Montserrat. From 1860 until 1869 he was Government Secretary to the Court of Polity in British New Guinea when he became Colonial Secretary of Jamaica.
For a few days in January 1877 he was its acting Governor and died there on 10 August that year from Yellow Fever.Emily Tennyson, Lady Tennyson
Emily Sarah Tennyson, Lady Tennyson (née Sellwood; 9 July 1813 – 10 August 1896) was the wife of the poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson, and a creative talent in her own right.
She was born in Horncastle, Lincolnshire. Her father was a solicitor who acted for the Tennyson family many times over the years. Her mother Sarah, who died aged 28 when Emily was three, was a member of the Franklin family, sister of Sir John Franklin, an explorer, and Sir Willingham Franklin. Emily first met Alfred Tennyson during childhood, but they did not become close until much later (when Tennyson's brother, Charles, married Emily's younger sister, Louisa), and did not marry until 1850. For much of the intervening time, they did not see one another at all.
They had two sons, Hallam and Lionel. During Tennyson's lifetime, Emily was his strong supporter and employed her own talents in setting some of his lyrics to music. After his death in 1892, Lady Tennyson devoted herself to helping her son write the authorised biographies.
She is buried in All Saints' Church, Freshwater, Isle of Wight.Francis W. Pixley
Francis William Pixley FSA FCA (c. 1852 – 27 April 1933) was an English accountant, barrister and author.
He lived at Wooburn House, Wooburn Green, and performed many civic duties, including serving as a Deputy Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire.
The son of Mr. T. W. Pixley, of Freshwater, Isle of Wight, Pixley was educated at St. Peter's School, York, was called to the Bar by the Middle Temple, and became a senior partner in the firm of Messrs. Jackson, Pixley and Co., chartered accountant. In 1905, he held the office of president of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, of which he was an original member, having been elected on its formation, and he represented it at St. Louis, U.S.A., at the first International Congress of Accountants in 1904. He was auditor to the Duchy of Lancaster, and treasurer of the Chartered Accountants Benevolent Association, editor of The Accountants' Dictionary, and the author of a number of books on accountancy.
Outside his profession Pixley had many interests. He was mainly instrumental in the efforts made to form a Roll of Baronets, which is now kept at the Home Office, and was Registrar of the Standing Council of the Baronetage and the author of a history of the baronetage. He was at one time lieutenant-colonel commanding the 1st Cadet Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps, and later identified himself with the Boy Scout movement at headquarters and in South Buckinghamshire. He was a Knight of Justice and Receiver-General of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem in England, a member of the City Lieutenancy, and Deputy Lieutenant and J.P. for Buckinghamshire. He was late chairman of the National Institution of Apprenticeship, a member of the London Diocesan Fund, a member of Council and joint treasurer of the Queen's Institute of District Nursing and treasurer of Queen Mary's Committee, treasurer of the Buckinghamshire War Pensions Committee, of the country Lace Association, and of the country branch of the National Playing Fields Association, and late treasurer of the county Architectural and Archaeological Society, and Past Master of seven Masonic Lodges.
It was reported that Francis Pixley was a man of great charm and of a singularly calm and lovable disposition, both in business and in home life, and possessed a large circle of attached friends. Mrs. Pixley, who was a daughter of Mr. J. P. Simpson, died 1932, leaving two sons and three daughters, Colonel Pixley's second son was killed in the First World War.
On 14 January 1908, Pixley's daughter Esme Caroline married Arthur Buxton, a young clergyman, and they had four children, Nigel Arthur (1909–1995), Richenda Dorothy (1911–1987), Mary Buxton (born 1913), and Priscilla Peronne (1916–1979).Pixley died at Wooburn House, Buckinghamshire, at the age of 80.Freshwater Bay (Western Australia)
Freshwater Bay is a bay of the Swan River, in metropolitan Perth, Western Australia. It is about 5 km upstream from the mouth of the river at Fremantle and is overlooked by the suburbs of Dalkeith, Claremont, Mosman Park and Peppermint Grove. Freshwater Bay was named after Freshwater Bay and Freshwater, Isle of Wight by Henry Charles Prinsep (1844-1922), who had a riverside family holiday cottage there, The Chine.Freshwater railway station
Freshwater railway station was the westerly terminus and largest station of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway, the platform being extended to accommodate the "Tourist Train", a non-stop service from Ventnor. Incorporated as the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway Company in 1860, and opened over a ten-month period between 1888 and 1889, it closed 65 years later, having been situated too far from the tourist honeypots of The Needles and Alum Bay to be consistently profitable. There was a run-round loop, and a goods siding often used for cattle loading. After closure the station was built over by a factory, but this in turn has been demolished and a supermarket now occupies the site.Golden Hill Fort
Golden Hill Fort was a defensible barracks at Freshwater, Isle of Wight, England, built as part of the Palmerston defences by the 1859 Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom to provide manpower to man the defences at the western end of the Isle of Wight, England. Built in hexagonal form, it accommodated 8 officers and 128 men, and had its own hospital. The garrison for the nearby Hatherwood Battery was held at the fort. In 1914 33 Company Royal Garrison Artillery was based at the Fort.The Fort is a local landmark which is in a very prominent position overlooking much of the land looking south towards Afton Down. Whilst operational, the area was kept clear of vegetation to allow views out to the Solent. The name Golden Hill refers not to the spectacular golden display of gorse but to an historic landowner named Gauden.
The building, which is a Grade 1 Listed Building, is now in private ownership and not open to the public. It was derelict and had not been used for many years, passing through numerous owners. Planning consent was granted in 2003 for conversion to residential use, with the listed building consent updated in 2007. Golden Hill Fort was converted into 18 dwellings by Golden Hill Homes between 2008 and 2011.Henry Worsley Hill
The English sailor and administrator Henry Worsley Hill (21 May 1799 – 14 October 1868) was a Captain in the Royal Navy and Governor of the Gold Coast. He was the eldest son of Vice-Admiral Henry Hill (1775–1849) and Ann Worsley (1779–1805).Isle of Wight Rifles
The 8th Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment, Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles, known informally as the "Isle of Wight Rifles" was formed to defend the Isle of Wight after a 19th-century invasion scare. The unit served as infantry during World War I, and as coastal defence artillery during World War II. Postwar it converted to the air defence role.John Baker (Radiophonic musician)
John Baker (12 October 1937 in Leigh-on-Sea – 7 February 1997 in Freshwater, Isle of Wight) was a British musician and composer who worked in jazz and electronic music.
He was educated at the Royal Academy of Music where he studied piano and composition. In 1960 he joined the BBC as a sound mixer, before transferring, in 1963, to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop where he remained until 1974. He was the most prolific of the early Workshop composers, developing a trademark style, creating music by manipulating tapes of everyday sounds such as blowing across the top of an empty bottle. A rare snippet of Baker at work was included in the 1968 documentary film Music, which also featured the Beatles working on Hey Jude in the studio. A jazz pianist, he brought a sense of rhythm to the Workshop which some of the other more mathematical composers lacked. His work included many signature tunes for BBC television and radio. He was also particularly interested in combining recorded electronic music with live musicians.
After becoming an alcoholic, Baker recorded no further music after being sacked by the Radiophonic Workshop in 1974 and later died in poverty. Two compilations of his work entitled The John Baker Tapes were released in July 2008 by Trunk Records.Lacey's Farm Quarry
Lacey's Farm Quarry (grid reference SZ323862) is a 1,300 square metre geological Site of Special Scientific Interest near the town of Freshwater, Isle of Wight, notified in 1993.Maurice Morgan
Maurice Morgan (1692–1733) of Freshwater, Isle of Wight was a British Army officer and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1725 to 1733.
Morgan was baptized on 27 September 1692, the second son of Anthony Morgan, of Freshwater, and his wife Catherine Urry, daughter of Thomas Urry of Freshwater. He joined the army and was ensign in Lord Paston’s Regiment of Foot in 1704 and in the 3rd Foot Guards in 1709. He became a lieutenant in the 1st Dragoon Guards in 1712, captain in the 4th Dragoons in 1719 and captain and lieutenant-colonel in the 3rd Foot Guards in 1722.Morgan was returned unopposed as Member of Parliament for Yarmouth (Isle of Wight) at a by election on 10 April 1725 on the government interest. He was returned unopposed again at the 1727 general election. He voted consistently with the Administration when present. He succeeded his father in 1729.and became Lieutenant-governor of the Isle of Wight in January 1731.Morgan died unmarried on 24 April. 1733.PO postcode area
The PO postcode area, also known as the Portsmouth postcode area, is a group of 34 postcode districts in southern England, which are subdivisions of 24 post towns. These postcode districts cover southeast Hampshire (including Portsmouth, Southsea, Havant, Waterlooville, Lee-on-the-Solent, Gosport, Fareham, Rowland's Castle, Emsworth and Hayling Island) southwestern West Sussex (including Chichester and Bognor Regis) and the Isle of Wight (including Newport, Cowes, East Cowes, Ryde, Yarmouth, Shanklin, Ventnor, Seaview, Bembridge, Totland Bay, Sandown and Freshwater).Robert Hooke
Robert Hooke FRS (; 28 July [O.S. 18 July] 1635 – 3 March 1703) was an English natural philosopher, architect and polymath.
His adult life comprised three distinct periods: as a scientific inquirer lacking money; achieving great wealth and standing through his reputation for hard work and scrupulous honesty following the great fire of 1666, and eventually becoming ill and party to jealous intellectual disputes (the last may have contributed to his relative historical obscurity).
At one time he was simultaneously the curator of experiments of the Royal Society, a member of its council, Gresham Professor of Geometry, and Surveyor to the City of London after the Great Fire of London (in which capacity he appears to have performed more than half of all the surveys after the fire). He was also an important architect of his time – though few of his buildings now survive and some of those are generally misattributed – and was instrumental in devising a set of planning controls for London whose influence remains today. Allan Chapman has characterised him as "England's Leonardo".Hooke studied at Wadham College, Oxford during the Protectorate where he became one of a tightly knit group of ardent Royalists led by John Wilkins. Here he was employed as an assistant to Thomas Willis and to Robert Boyle, for whom he built the vacuum pumps used in Boyle's gas law experiments, and conducted the experiments themselves. He built some of the earliest Gregorian telescopes and observed the rotations of Mars and Jupiter. In 1665 he inspired the use of microscopes for scientific exploration with his book, Micrographia. Based on his microscopic observations of fossils, Hooke was an early proponent of biological evolution. He investigated the phenomenon of refraction, deducing the wave theory of light, and was the first to suggest that matter expands when heated and that air is made of small particles separated by relatively large distances. He proposed that heat was the manifestation of faster movement of the particles of matter. He performed pioneering work in the field of surveying and map-making and was involved in the work that led to the first modern plan-form map, though his plan for London on a grid system was rejected in favour of rebuilding along the existing routes. He also came near to an experimental proof that gravity follows an inverse square law, and first hypothesised that such a relation governs the motions of the planets, an idea which was developed by Isaac Newton, and formed part of a dispute between the two which caused Newton to try to erase Hooke's legacy. He originated the terraqueous globe theory of geology, disputed the literal Biblical account of the age of the earth, hypothesised the idea of extinction, and wrote numerous times of the likelihood that fossils on hill and mountain tops had been raised there by "earthquakes", a general term of the time for geological processes. Much of Hooke's scientific work was conducted in his capacity as curator of experiments of the Royal Society, a post he held from 1662, or as part of the household of Robert Boyle.St Agnes' Church, Freshwater
St Agnes' Church, Freshwater is a parish church in the Church of England located in Freshwater, Isle of Wight.Vivian Fuchs
Sir Vivian Ernest Fuchs (11 February 1908 – 11 November 1999) was an English explorer whose expeditionary team completed the first overland crossing of Antarctica in 1958.William Peters (painter)
Matthew William Peters (1742 – 20 March 1814) was an English portrait and genre painter who later became an Anglican clergyman and chaplain to George IV. He became known as "William" when he started signing his works as "W. Peters".Peters was born in Freshwater, Isle of Wight, the son of Matthew Peters (born at Belfast, 1711), a civil engineer and member of the Royal Dublin Society; by Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of George Younge of Dublin. The family moved from England to Dublin when Peters was young, where his father "advised on the improvement of loughs and rivers for navigation". and published two treatises on the subject.
Peters received his artistic training from Robert West in Dublin; in 1756 and 1758 he received prizes from the first School of Design in Dublin. In 1759, he was sent by the Dublin Society to London to become a student of Thomas Hudson and won a premium from the Society of Arts. The group also paid for him to travel to Italy to study art from 1761 to 1765. On 23 September 1762 he was elected to the Accademia del Disegno in Florence. Peters returned to England in 1765 and exhibited works at the Society of Artists from 1766 to 1769. Beginning in 1769, Peters exhibited works at the Royal Academy. In 1771 he was elected an associate and in 1777 an academician. He returned to Italy in 1771 and stayed until 1775. He also probably traveled to Paris in 1783–84, where he met Léopold Boilly, Antoine Vestier, and was influenced by the work of Jean-Baptiste Greuze.On 27 February 1769, Peters became a freemason, and he was made the grand portrait painter of the Freemasons and the first provincial grand master of Lincolnshire in 1792. In 1785, he exhibited portraits of the Duke of Manchester and Lord Petre as Grand Master at the Royal Academy exhibition.
According to Robin Simon's article in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, "no British contemporary had such an Italian manner of painting as Peters, reflecting the old masters he copied". Many of Peters' works were erotic and although these works did not damage his career, according to Simon, Peters later regretted these when he became an ordained clergyman in 1781. He served as the Royal Academy's chaplain from 1784 to 1788, at which time he resigned to become chaplain to the Prince of Wales.In 1784, Peters was awarded the living of Scalford, Leicestershire by Charles Manners, 4th Duke of Rutland. In 1788, the Dowager Duchess gave him the living at Knipton, at which time he also obtained that at Woolsthorpe. These livings were near to Belvoir Castle, at which he was curator of pictures. He became prebendary of Lincoln Cathedral in 1795, first with the stall of St Mary, Crackpool, but later with the better position of Langford Ecclesia, Oxfordshire. That same year he also acquired the living at Eaton. He lived at Woolsthorpe, Knipton, and Langford. After 1800, Masonic disputes forced Peters to live almost exclusively at Langford.During these years, Peters also painted religious works, including a ten-by-five foot Annunciation for Lincoln Cathedral and The Resurrection of a Pious Family. He also painted five Shakespearean works for the Boydell Shakespeare Gallery and six for the Irish Shakespeare Gallery. He charged 80 guineas for painting full-length portraits.On 28 April 1790 he and Margaret Susannah Knowsley were married; the couple had five children.Peters died in Kent on 20 March 1814.
Isle of Wight Portal
Settlements on the Isle of Wight