Frazer Nash was a brand of British sports car manufactured from 1922 first by Frazer Nash Limited founded by engineer Archibald Frazer-Nash. On its financial collapse in 1927, a new company AFN Limited was incorporated. In 1929 control of AFN passed to Harold John Aldington.
Until the Second World War, AFN continued to produce a small number of sports cars badged Frazer Nash incorporating a unique multi-chain transmission. It continued after the war making another 85 sports cars before ending manufacture in 1957. The post-war cars had conventional transmissions.
UK agents for BMW, they arranged coachwork and made modifications, including badging the cars Frazer Nash BMW.
Also UK agents for Porsche, control of AFN Limited passed from the Aldington family to Porsche in 1987.
Frazer Nash Limited's business[note 1] was founded in 1922 by Archie Nash. In 1909 Nash with friend Ron Godfrey had founded and run the GN cyclecar company but their partnership split in 1922 and Nash began making his own cars by buying GN components and adding a new body. His new business's activities were centred on Kingston upon Thames, Surrey. The first true Frazer Nash was made in 1924. However Nash, a clever engineer and designer, seemed unable to run a business at a profit. Shareholders in this period even included author, Evelyn Waugh. Eventually the faltering business was sold to a new company, AFN Limited, formed in 1927. Profitability did not improve and with effect from 1 January 1929 H J Aldington was made managing director and Nash was given the post of 'technical adviser'. Archie Nash managed to keep a small shareholding and as if to confirm the link in 1938 hyphenated his second name to his surname and became Archie Frazer-Nash.
During 1929 a majority of AFN's capital was acquired by Harold Joseph ("Aldy") Aldington (1902-1976) and AFN's operations moved to Isleworth, Middlesex. Thereafter, the business was run by the three Aldington brothers, Aldy, Don and Bill. The other two were Donald Arthur Aldington (1907-1997) and William Henry Aldington (1900-1980). They were all usually referred to by their initials.
The last of the family owners/directors was Aldy's son, John Taylor ("JT") Aldington, who sold AFN Ltd to Porsche GB in 1987. AFN produced around 350 of the famous chain drive models between 1924 and 1939.
AFN Ltd produced about 85 more cars from 1948 to 1957. These cars were entirely unrelated to the chain-drive pre-war Frazer Nash, but were largely a direct evolution of the sporting BMW 328, mentioned above.
AFN, as owners of the UK rights to the 328 engine, licensed Bristol to make it against an agreement for its supply to them. Models include the Le Mans Replica, the Mille Miglia, the Targa Florio, the Le Mans Coupé and the Sebring. Competition successes included a third place at Le Mans (1949) and wins in the Targa Florio in 1951 and the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1952. The post-war cars are very highly prized by collectors.
Formula 2 cars produced by the company contested various races including four Grand Prix events counting towards the 1952 World Championship of Drivers. The cars were driven by Tony Crook and Ken Wharton.
In 1954 AFN Limited added Porsche cars, becoming the official importer for Great Britain in 1956. This lasted until 1965 when Porsche Cars Great Britain was set up; Aldington family members remained on the board of this company until John Aldington sold out to Porsche in 1987.
Considering the small number of cars made, the model range is vast and the following is not entirely comprehensive. Cars were all built to order and virtually any combination was possible. Some were rebuilt at the factory as different versions.
|Frazer Nash Fast Tourer/Super Sports||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||165 in the 1920s||1925–1930||engines were Plus Power, but mainly Anzani. Super Sports (from 1928) had no running boards. 105-inch (2,667 mm) wheelbase chassis on Fast Tourer and Super Sports with short 99-inch (2,515 mm) option on Super Sport.|
|Frazer Nash Interceptor/Sportop/Falcon||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||25||1930–1932||Meadows engine. Sportop version was fabric bodied. Falcon had a better equipped body. Long and short chassis options.|
|Frazer Nash Boulogne I and II||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||30||1926–1932||Anzani or Meadows engine. Supercharger optional. Long and short chassis options|
|Frazer Nash Ulster||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||5||1929–1931||Competition version of the road cars. Long and short chassis options.|
|Frazer Nash Nūrburg||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||3||1932–1933||Competition model. Tuned Meadows engine. No doors. Short chassis only.|
|Frazer Nash Exeter||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||5||1932||Single carburettor Meadows engine. Short chassis only Corsica body.|
|Frazer Nash Colmore||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder or 1660 cc in line 6-cylinder||19||1932–1939||Four-seater. 105-inch (2,667 mm) or 108-inch (2,743 mm) wheelbase chassis options. Four-cylinder cars used a Meadows engine, six-cylinder cars a twin OHC Blackburne. Three or Four speed transmission.|
|Frazer Nash TT Replica||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder or 1660 cc in line 6-cylinder||83||1932–1938||Gough 4-cylinder engine used as well as the Meadows and Blackburne. 105-inch (2,667 mm) or 108-inch (2,743 mm) wheelbase chassis options|
|Frazer Nash Shelsley||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder or 1660 cc in line 6-cylinder||8||1934–1936||Gough (supercharger optional) or Blackburne engines. 108-inch (2,743 mm) wheelbase.|
|Frazer Nash Ulster 100||1.5 L in line 4-cylinder||1||1936–1937||Originally Anzani powered, later replaced by Gough engine and then a Meadows. Long rounded tail to body.|
|Frazer Nash Falcon||1.9 L in line 6-cylinder||1||1937||BMW-engined. 102-inch (2,591 mm) wheelbase.|
|Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica/ Le Mans Mk II||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||34||1948–1953||Originally named "High Speed" and "Competition". 96-inch (2,438 mm) wheelbase. Cycle wings. Conventional (Bristol) gearbox.|
|Frazer Nash Fast Tourer/Mille Miglia||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||12||1948–1953||Full width body.|
|Frazer Nash FN48 ||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||3||1952||Narrow body on Le Mans Replica chassis built to Formula 2 regulations. Also competed in World Championship Grand Prix and Formula Libre races.|
|Frazer Nash Targa Florio||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||15||1952–1954||Turismo (100 hp (75 kW)) or Gran Sport (125 hp (93 kW)) Bristol engine options. One car fitted with Austin Atlantic engine. Last 5 cars were open versions of Le Mans Coupé.|
|Frazer Nash Le Mans Coupé||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||9||1953–1955||100 hp (75 kW) or 140 hp (100 kW) engine.|
|Frazer Nash Sebring||Bristol engine (2 L in line 6-cylinder)||3||1954||Full width body on Le Mans Replica Mk II chassis. 140 hp (100 kW) engine.|
|Frazer Nash DKW||DKW 896 cc (water-cooled, three cylinder two-stroke)||1||1955||Essentially a sports version of the DKW Sonderklasse, which AFN also imported. As in that car, the engine is installed longitudinally and drives the front wheels. The car competed in the 1955 RAC Tourist Trophy without success, and was then laid up at the AFN works. It was brought back to life in 2008, and was featured in Classic & Sports Car, August 2011 issue.|
|Frazer Nash Continental||BMW engine (2.6 & 3.2 L)||2||1956–1957||V8 BMW engine. Listed at £3751 at the London Motor Show.|
Frazer Nash cars participated in four Grands Prix races counting towards the World Championship of Drivers. Drivers of Frazer Nash cars scored 3 World Championship points.
|1952||Frazer Nash FN48
Frazer Nash 421
Archibald Goodman Frazer Nash (30 June 1889 – 10 March 1965), was an early English motor car designer and engineer, who specialised in manufacturer of light ("cycle") and sports cars in England.
Nash added his third name Frazer and a hyphen to his surname in 1938 and so either form may be correct depending on the period.
Although World Championship races held in 1952 and 1953 were run to Formula Two regulations, constructors who only participated during this period are included herein to maintain Championship continuity.
Constructors whose only participation in the World Championship was in the Indianapolis 500 races between 1950 and 1960 are not listed.