Fort Washington Avenue

Fort Washington Avenue is a major north-south street in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. It runs from Fort Tryon Park to 159th Street, where it intersects with Broadway. It goes past Bennett Park, the highest natural point in Manhattan. Famous residents of Fort Washington Avenue include Drs. Henry Kissinger and Ruth Westheimer, TV's "Doctor Ruth".

Hudson Heights Fort Washington Ave
Fort Washington Avenue south of 187th Street in the Hudson Heights part of Washington Heights

Transportation connections

The IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway (A train) runs underneath Fort Washington Avenue, stopping at the 175th Street, 181st Street, and 190th Street stations. The avenue is served by the M4, M98 buses.

Coordinates: 40°50′53.77″N 73°56′21.66″W / 40.8482694°N 73.9393500°W

175th Street station (IND Eighth Avenue Line)

175th Street (also known as 175th Street–George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal) is a station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located in the neighborhood of Washington Heights in Upper Manhattan, at 175th Street and Fort Washington Avenue, it is served by the A train at all times.

181st Street station (IND Eighth Avenue Line)

181st Street, once also known as 181st Street–Fort Washington Avenue, is a station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. It is served by the A train at all times.

181st Street opened on September 10, 1932, and has two tracks and two side platforms. It is located deep below the surface due to the area's hills. The elevators at this station will be closed between August 2019 and July 2020 for replacement.

The station has three separate entrances. Two are on Fort Washington Avenue: one at 181st Street at the foot of Fort Washington Hill; and one at 184th Street in the Hudson Heights neighborhood atop the hill opposite Bennett Park, the highest natural point in Manhattan. The third entrance is at 184th Street and Overlook Terrace, also at the bottom of the hill. The entrance from 181st Street connects to the station via escalators, while the entrance from the top of 184th Street connects to the station and the Overlook Terrace entrance via an elevator connection that is free to the public.

190th Street station

190th Street (originally 190th Street–Overlook Terrace) is a station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway, served by the A train at all times. It is located on Fort Washington Avenue near its intersection with Cabrini Boulevard at Margaret Corbin Circle, about three blocks north of 190th Street.

The station is close to Fort Tryon Park and the Mother Cabrini Shrine in the Hudson Heights neighborhood of Manhattan's Washington Heights area. The Cloisters medieval art museum, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, is located in the park, about a 10-minute walk north from the station's Fort Washington Avenue exit. An additional exit through the side of the hill leads to Bennett Avenue and provides access to the Broadway Valley area of Washington Heights.

Bennett Park (New York City)

Bennett Park, also known as James Gordon Bennett Park, is a public park in New York City, named for James Gordon Bennett, Sr., the newspaper publisher who launched the New York Herald in 1835. It is located between Pinehurst and Fort Washington Avenues and West 183rd and 185th Streets in the Hudson Heights neighborhood of Washington Heights in northern Manhattan, on land purchased by Bennett in 1871, the year before his death. It sits opposite the northern Fort Washington Avenue entrance to the 181st Street subway station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line, serviced by the A train.

The park, which opened in 1929, was built on the site of Fort Washington, from which the Continental Army delayed the advance of British troops in 1776. The commemorative marble, bronze and granite stele, with sculpture by Charles R. Lamb, is located on the eastern perimeter wall of the park, and was dedicated in 1901. In 1932, in commemoration of the bicentennial of the birth of George Washington, the Washington Heights Honor Grove Association planted an American elm tree, which is indicated with a marker. Other memorials in the park include the Emilio Barbosa Memorial, given in 1996 by Joseph Barbosa to honor his father, who died on the USS Nevada at Okinawa in 1945.On the west side of the park lies an outcropping of Manhattan schist which is the highest natural point in Manhattan – 265 feet (81 m) above sea level – with a square stone marker attesting to the fact. The schist is part of the bedrock foundation of New York City, which allows the construction of skyscrapers where it lies close to the surface.The park's playground was constructed in the 1940s, and service buildings were added in 1964.Bennett Park hosts a variety of events, such as the Revolutionary War Reenactment, which Redcoats and George Washington's army actors converge and fight in the park, reenacting the battle of Fort Washington. An annual Harvest Festival is held in the park's field.

As part of the "Northern Manhattan Parks 2030 Master Plan", devised in 2010-11, the playground and comfort station in Bennett Park will be reconfigured to "improve sight-lines and play value." In addition, the condition of the park's perimeter will be improved.

Cabrini Boulevard

Cabrini Boulevard spans the Manhattan neighborhood of Hudson Heights, running from West 177th Street in the south, near the George Washington Bridge, to Fort Tryon Park in the north, along an escarpment of Manhattan schist overlooking the Henry Hudson Parkway and the Hudson River. It is the westernmost city street in the neighborhood except for a one block loop formed by Chittenden Avenue, West 187th Street and West 186th Street.

Cabrini Boulevard was originally named Northern Avenue, and was renamed for Frances Xavier Cabrini, the first American canonized as a Roman Catholic saint, in 1938, the year of her beatification. Part of her remains are enshrined at the St. Frances Xavier Cabrini Shrine, at 701 Fort Washington Avenue, the western entrance of which is on Cabrini Boulevard.

At its northern end, past the last building on the west side of the street, Cabrini Boulevard runs alongside the "Cabrini Woods" section of Fort Tryon Park, which has been set aside as a bird sanctuary.Cabrini Boulevard is the site of two housing developments in New York City, both by real estate developer Charles Paterno. Hudson View Gardens, started in 1923 is one of the oldest housing cooperatives in the United States.On October 18, 2015, a portion of the street was co-named in honor of human rights activist Jacob Birnbaum, who lived on Cabrini Boulevard..

Fort Washington Avenue Armory

The Fort Washington Avenue Armory, also known as the Fort Washington Armory and The Armory, is located at 216 Fort Washington Avenue, between West 168th and 169th Streets, in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is a brick Classical Revival building with Romanesque Revival elements, such as the entrance arch, and is currently home to the National Track and Field Hall of Fame and other organizations including the Police Athletic League of New York City.

The spacious third floor is home to the New Balance Track and Field Center: A 200-meter, six-lane banked mondo track, two large runways and sand pits, a pole vault pit, and a throws cage. The Center is widely regarded as one of the premier indoor track and field facilities in the United States. The Center plays host to a number of meets at the high school, college, and professional/open/masters level each year, including the NSIC indoor national meet, the Big East and Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference conference meets, and the New Balance Games. A number of college programs – such as Columbia University, New York University, Saint John's University, St. Francis College, City College of New York and Iona College – utilize it as their home indoor track. In May 2011 the President of the Millrose Games announced that, starting in January 2012, that notable event would move from Madison Square Garden, its home since 1914, to the Fort Washington Avenue Armory, with a new all-day Saturday schedule replacing the previous Friday evening format.When built in the early 20th century it was one of the first armories in New York City in the Neoclassical style, instead of the Gothic Revival mode favored during the 19th century. It was home to the 22nd Regiment of the Army Corps of Engineers, was used to give licensing exams for those who wished to become architects, engineers, nurses and so on, and was later used as a homeless shelter . In 1995 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (New York City)

The former Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, now known as the Hebrew Tabernacle of Washington Heights, is an historic domed Art Deco style building located at 551 Ft. Washington Avenue, corner of 185th Street, in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. Designed by architects Cherry and Matz of Manhattan, it was built during the years 1929 to 1932 by Fourth Church founded in 1896 as West Side Church of Christ, Scientist, to replace its Solon Spencer Beman designed Neoclassical building at 178th Street and Fort Washington Avenue which it had sold to provide land for the George Washington Bridge. In 1973, due to the dwindling size of its congregation and increasing costs, the church sold the building to the Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation founded in 1905 in Harlem which had outgrown its 1920s building on West 161st Street between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue. Fourth Church is no longer in existence. On August 31, 2011, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

George Washington Bridge Bus Station

The George Washington Bridge Bus Station is a commuter bus terminal located at the east end of the George Washington Bridge in the Washington Heights area of Manhattan in New York City, New York. The bus station is owned and operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. On a typical weekday, approximately 20,000 passengers on about 1,000 buses use the station.The building, an example of 1960s urban renewal, has been described as a blight on its surrounding environment and "a brutal assault on the senses". Its upper-level bus ramps cross Fort Washington Avenue, blocking light and the view of the George Washington Bridge.

Major renovations, including an expansion of retail space from 30,000 to 120,000 square feet (3,000 to 11,000 m2), began in late 2013 and were expected to cost more than US$183 million. Although scheduled to be completed in early 2015, the renovated station reopened on May 16, 2017, two years behind schedule, $17 million over budget, and still unfinished.

Hilltop Park

Hilltop Park was the nickname of a baseball park that stood in the Washington Heights neighborhood of New York City. It was the home of the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball from 1903 to 1912, when they were known as the "Highlanders". It was also the temporary home of the New York Giants during a two-month period in 1911 while the Polo Grounds was being rebuilt after a fire.

The ballpark's formal name, as painted on its exterior walls, was American League Park. Because the park was located on top of a ridge of Manhattan Island, it came to be known as Hilltop Park, and its team was most often called the New York Highlanders (as well as the Americans and the Yankees). This "Highland" connection contrasted with their intra-city rivals, the Giants, whose Polo Grounds was just a few blocks away, in the bottomland under Coogan's Bluff.

Hilltop Park sat on the block bounded by Broadway, 165th Street, Fort Washington Avenue, and 168th Street. The structure consisted of a covered grandstand stretching from first base to third base and uncovered bleacher sections down the right and left field lines. Originally built in just six weeks, the park sat 16,000, with standing room for an additional 10,000 or so. The bleachers were covered in 1911, and also bleachers to seat an additional 5,000 fans were built in 1911 (partially to accommodate Giants fans, who were temporary tenants after the Polo Grounds fire) in center field.

The field was initially huge by modern standards — 365 ft (111 m) to left field, 542 ft (165 m) to center field and 400 ft (120 m) to right field. An inner fence was soon constructed to create more realistic action. Both the park and the nickname "Highlanders" were abandoned when the American Leaguers left, at the beginning of the 1913 season, to rent the Polo Grounds from the Giants. The Polo Grounds had a far larger seating capacity, and by that time was made of concrete due to the 1911 fire. Hilltop Park was demolished in 1914.

Hudson Heights, Manhattan

Hudson Heights is a residential neighborhood of the Washington Heights area of Upper Manhattan, New York City. Most of the residences are in apartment buildings, many of which are cooperatives, and most were constructed in the 1920s through 1940s. The Art Deco style is prominent, along with Tudor Revival. Notable complexes include Hudson View Gardens and Castle Village, which were both developed by Dr. Charles V. Paterno, and were designed by George F. Pelham and his son, George F. Pelham, Jr., respectively.

The neighborhood is located on a plateau on top of a high bluff overlooking both the Hudson River on the west and the Broadway valley of Washington Heights on the east, and includes the highest natural point in Manhattan, located in Bennett Park. At 265 feet (81 m) above sea level, it is a few dozen feet lower than the torch on the Statue of Liberty.At the northern end of the neighborhood, where Cabrini Boulevard meets Fort Washington Avenue at Margaret Corbin Circle, is Fort Tryon Park, conceived by John D. Rockefeller Jr., designed by the Olmsted Brothers, and given to the city by Rockefeller in 1931. The park contains within it The Cloisters – also conceived of by Rockefeller – which houses the Medieval art collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

List of United States high school national records in track and field

The list of United States high-school national records in Track and Field are separated by indoor and outdoor and boys and girls who have set a national record in their respective events.

While these records have been compiled for over 100 years, there are varying standards for these records. The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) compiles records based only upon competitions its state affiliates sanction. Those would be scholastic dual meets, high-school-only invitationals and championship meets up through the individual state championships.

Track and Field News (T&FN) has tracked records by any American high school students, in any competition until they enter college. These records include marks made in open competition against higher-level competitors, post-season meets and international competition up until August 31 following their high-school graduation.Since there are no national championships in high-school competition, post-state-championship meets that proclaim such a position are not sanctioned by the NFHS and thus fall only under the T&FN guidelines.

Additionally, high-school competition is conducted under slightly different rules, which have evolved over time. For example, in 1980, high schools converted their running distances from Imperial (yards) to metric, but instead of running conventional international distances like 1500 metres in place of the mile run, a more equitable but non-standard 1600 meters was chosen. For the two-mile run, they run 3200 meters. For the long-hurdle race, they run 300 meters instead of the 400 metres hurdles. Some states ran over lower hurdle heights for a period of time. In field events, boys throw different weights of their implements than with international open division or the more comparable junior-division implements. Some states throw javelin or hammer, while the majority do not. Over time, this has resulted in statisticians collecting results and performing conversions as athletes have run different distances, jumped different hurdles and thrown different weights. Invitational meets have offered an assortment of legacy events and an array of relays, which allow each new generation of athlete a legitimate opportunity to compete in all these events, effectively keeping all records relevant and contemporary.

On this list, marks listed as the NFHS record with no other marks listed for that event, are the universally accepted record in the current official events.

Mile run

The mile run (1,760 yards or exactly 1,609.344 metres) is a middle-distance foot race.

The history of the mile run event began in England, where it was used as a distance for gambling races. It survived track and field's switch to metric distances in the 1900s and retained its popularity, with the chase for the four-minute mile in the 1950s a high point for the race.

In spite of the roughly equivalent 1500 metres race, the mile run is present in all fields of athletics and it remains the only imperial distance for which the IAAF records an official world record. Although the mile does not feature at any major championship competition, the Wanamaker Mile, Dream Mile, and Bowerman Mile races are among the foremost annual middle-distance races indoors and outdoors, respectively.

The current mile world record holders are Morocco's Hicham El Guerrouj with a time of 3:43.13 and Sifan Hassan of The Netherlands with the women's record of 4:12.33.

Mother Cabrini High School

Mother Cabrini High School (MCHS) was a Catholic high school located at 701 Fort Washington Avenue between Fort Tryon Park and West 190th Street, with a facade on Cabrini Boulevard, in the Hudson Heights neighborhood of Washington Heights in Upper Manhattan, New York City. The school was founded in 1899 by Frances Xavier Cabrini and was sponsored by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the order she founded. It offered specialized and distinctive programs of study to enhance the education of its students.

The school drew its students from "all over New York City and Westchester, with a large concentration of students from Manhattan and the Bronx." Through much of its history, the student body was largely the children of Irish and Italian immigrants, but by the time of its closure in 2014, the school was predominantly Latino, primarily from the Dominican Republic.In January 2014, the school announced that it would close at the end of the school year.

National Scholastic Indoor Championships

The National Scholastic Indoor Championships or "NSIC" are, along with Nike Indoor Nationals, one of two American high school national championship indoor track and field meets. High school participants from across the country compete for the honor of being named NSIC high school All-America. The Championships are hosted at the New Balance Track and Field Center at the Fort Washington Avenue Armory in New York City, NY, USA.

Neurological Institute of New York

The Neurological Institute of New York, located at 710 West 168th Street at the corner of Fort Washington Avenue in the NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Medical Center in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City

The Institute was founded in 1909 by Joseph Collins, Charles Elsberg, MD (Columbia P&S neurosurgery chair from 1909–1937), Joseph Fraenkel, and Pearce Bailey, MD as the first hospital and research center in the western hemisphere devoted solely to neurological disorders. From 1910 to 1911, Barbara Spofford Morgan directed the psychological clinic.The Neurological Institute began teaching medical students at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1921, became affiliated with Presbyterian Hospital – now NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital – in 1925, and merged with it in 1943. It consists of a department of academic neurology and a department of neurological surgery.

The Chair of Neurology is Dr. Richard Mayeux. He was preceded by Timothy A. Pedley (1998-2011), Lewis P. Rowland (1973-1998), Milton Shy (1967), and H. Houston Merritt (1948-1967).

The Institute's building dates from the original incarnation of Columbia-Presbyterian campus built 1928 by philanthropist Edward Harkness and was designed by James Gamble Rogers. An addition was made in 1948, designed by Rogers & Butler.

New Balance Games

The New Balance Games, is an annual indoor track and field meet which is held in late January at the Fort Washington Avenue Armory. It was first held in Manhattan, a neighbourhood in New York City.

The competition is part of National Federation of State High School Associations's New Balance Nationals Indoor and attracts high caliber athletes, including Olympic and World medalists.

Sydney McLaughlin

Sydney McLaughlin (born August 7, 1999) is an American hurdler and sprinter who competed for the University of Kentucky before turning professional. She won the silver medal at the 2019 World Championships in the 400 m hurdles, setting her new personal best of 52.23 seconds. McLaughlin holds a number of age group world bests and won the Gatorade National Girls Athlete of the Year trophy for both 2015–16 and 2016–17. She placed third in the 400 metres hurdles at the 2016 United States Olympic Trials, qualifying for the 2016 Summer Olympics. McLaughlin has a personal best of 50.07 in the 400m.

U.S. Open Track and Field

U.S. Open Track and Field was the name of the first top level indoor track and field meet in 2012. The U.S. Open was the opening competition in the 2012 IAAF Indoor Permit Meeting series and was also part of the Visa Championship Series. Held in Madison Square Garden in New York City, the inaugural event was announced for January 28, 2012, with television coverage on January 29 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time on ESPN2.

Announced as continuation of a 99-year indoor track and field tradition at Madison Square Garden, the meet displaced the Millrose Games, which has been the longest standing annual event at the arena for the previous 98 years. The Millrose Games will continue at the Fort Washington Avenue Armory.

The event lasted just one year, and was cancelled in 2013.

Upper Dublin Friends Meeting House

The Upper Dublin Friends Meeting House is a Quaker meeting house located at the intersection of Fort Washington Avenue and Meetinghouse Roads in Upper Dublin Township, Pennsylvania in the United States.

The building was constructed in 1814 on land donated by local resident Phebe Shoemaker. The graveyard of nearly one acre contains the graves of many of the township's most notable early families.

Bean's 1884 History of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania makes mention of the horse-block (a step for mounting or dismounting from a horse) that can still be seen at the Meeting House:

"About twenty yards from the front-door is a horse-block, of stone, consisting of five steps to the top, four and a half feet from the ground and three and a half feet wide, now so rare as to become an object of interest to the antiquary." The Upper Dublin Friends Meeting is a thriving congregation, with Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10 a.m., and is part of the Abington Quarterly Meeting of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.

Streets of Manhattan
North–South
East–West
Intersections

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.