Fort Victoria is a former military fort on the Isle of Wight, England (grid reference ), built to guard the Solent. The earliest fort on the site was a coastal fort known as Sharpenode Bulwark built in 1545-7 by Henry VIII, but these defences had fallen into disrepair by the 17th century. Fort Victoria was built in the 1850s. It was a brick-built triangular fort with two seaward batteries meeting at a right angle. It remained in use until 1962. Parts of the fort were subsequently demolished, and what remains has become part of Fort Victoria Country Park.
|Isle of Wight, England|
Fort Victoria's Casemates. The brickwork in the foreground shows the foundations of the former barracks.
|Owner||Isle of Wight Council|
Fort Victoria is situated on Sconce Point west of Yarmouth. Its position overlooks the whole of the Needles Passage and approaches to Yarmouth, and is almost opposite Hurst Castle on the mainland. Around 1 kilometer to the southwest lies Fort Albert.
The earliest fort on the site was Sharpenode Bulwark (also Sharpnode or Sharpnore) which was constructed in 1545-7 as part of Henry VIII's coastal defences. It was about 700 metres east from an earlier fortification known as Worsley's Tower. Sharpenode Bulwark was a square earthwork with two angle bastions. It fell into disrepair and was repaired or even replaced in 1587 by George Carey Captain of the Island. This became known as Carey's Sconce. The defences are said to have fallen into disrepair by 1623, and at the beginning of the 19th century only ruins remained.
Fort Victoria was built in the 1850s. It is a brick-built triangular fort with concrete gun-floors. It has two seaward batteries meeting at a right angle. It became a functioning part of the new batteries on the heights above. At the same time a pier was built to serve the fort. It effectively became a military barracks and storehouse until rearmed with more modern armament in the 1880s. During the First and Second World Wars the fort saw service as a landing point and for storage. Between the wars it saw little use with the royal engineers leaving in 1920.
In the 1930s a proposal was made to run a car ferry between Fort Victoria and Keyhaven on the mainland. An act of parliament was obtained in 1936 but a lack of funds meant the proposal was abandoned in 1938.
At the start of World War II the fort was used as a training battery for coastal gunners and it was equipped with torpedo tubes mounted on the pier. After the war it was used as a National Service training station. Its military use came to an end in 1962.
What remains today is a fragment of the fort. The rear barracks blocks were demolished in 1969 to provide material for sea defences and Isle of Wight Council purchased what remained of the fort soon afterwards. The fort is now a Grade II Listed Building.
Today the fort is part of Fort Victoria Country Park which occupies 20 hectares of woodland and shore on the northwest coast of the Isle of Wight. The fort houses a number of attractions including an underwater archaeology centre (Sunken Secrets), a planetarium and a model railway.
The derelict pier can still be seen.
The Archaeology Discover Centre (formerly Sunken Secrets and the Underwater Archaeology Centre) is a museum located in Fort Victoria on the Isle of Wight, England.
The museum is run by archaeologists based on the Isle of Wight. It is housed in five of the fort's former casemates. Since it was opened in 1990 the museum has been used to display exhibits recovered from several local shipwrecks and the submerged landscapes of the Solent. These include the wrecks of HMS Pomone, HMS Invincible, the Yarmouth Roads Wreck and Bouldnor Cliff. The museum also houses an exhibition about the history of Fort Victoria itself.
Like most attractions in the fort the museum only operates from Easter to autumn, during which time it opens daily and occasionally holds activity and community events.Fort Victoria
Fort Victoria may refer to:
Fort Victoria, Alberta, Canada
Fort Victoria (British Columbia), Canada
Fort Victoria (Isle of Wight), England
Fort Victoria, Bermuda, a disused British Army fort
Masvingo, Zimbabwe, named Fort Victoria until 1982
Fort Victoria, a gun emplacement on Mount Victoria, Auckland, New Zealand during the late 19th century
Fort Victoria, capital of the Dutch Governorate of AmbonHMS Pomone (1805)
HMS Pomone was a 38-gun Leda-class fifth rate of the Royal Navy launched in 1805. She saw action during the Napoleonic Wars, primarily in the Mediterranean while under the command of Captain Robert Barrie. She was wrecked off The Needles, part of the Isle of Wight, in 1811.RFA Fort Victoria (A387)
RFA Fort Victoria is a Fort-class combined fleet stores ship and tanker of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary of the United Kingdom tasked with providing ammunition, fuel, food and other supplies to Royal Navy vessels around the world.Seesaw searchlight
Seesaw searchlights were an early electric powered searchlight first developed in the 1870s used in conjunction with coast artillery.
The searchlight consisted of an electric carbon lamp, capable of a strong beam for target illumination, because the bulb was vulnerable to enemy fire, it was protected in a recessed emplacement whilst a large mirror, attached to the end of a 'see-saw' pivoting iron beam reflected the beam across the water to the target. The light was powered by steam engines usually housed in the nearby forts.Only a few of these were built anywhere in the British Empire, and were difficult to operate and were never successful and New Zealand's example had been abandoned by 1899.
|Essex / Suffolk|
|Kent / Sussex|
|Isle of Wight / Solent|
|Cornwall / Devon / Dorset|
|Yorkshire and the Humber|