A flood-meadow (or floodmeadow) is an area of grassland or pasture beside a river, subject to seasonal flooding. Flood-meadows are distinct from water-meadows in that the latter are artificially created and maintained, with flooding controlled on a seasonal and even daily basis.
Bosnia and Herzegovina:
Andersey Island is a 273-acre (110.5 ha) area of flood-meadow and former flood-meadow south-east of Abingdon Bridge, Abingdon, Oxfordshire on the reach above Culham Lock in which parish it lies however maintaining close links with Abingdon by virtue of its current amenities. It is the second-largest island of the non-tidal course of the River Thames in England upstream of the Tideway — if disqualifying the villages of Dorney and Eton, Berkshire enclosed by the engineered Jubilee River. Andersey means Andrew's island after its chapel to St Andrew, demolished, built about 1050 CE.Christ Church Meadow, Oxford
Christ Church Meadow is a well-known flood-meadow, and popular walking and picnic spot in Oxford, England.Roughly triangular in shape it is bounded by the River Thames (the stretch through Oxford being known as "The Isis"), the River Cherwell, and Christ Church. The meadow provides access to many of the college boat houses which are on an island at the confluence of the two rivers. The lower sections of the meadow, close to the Thames, are grazed by cattle, while the upper sections have sports fields. Broad Walk is at the northern edge with Merton Field to the north and Merton College, dominated by the tower of Merton College Chapel, beyond that.
Christ Church Meadow is owned by Christ Church, and is thus the private property of the college, however access is allowed during the day. Access starts very early to allow rowers to go to the boathouses. Eights Week and Torpids, Oxford University's two main rowing events, and Christ Church Regatta are held on the Thames here. In past times, ornamental wooden barges were moored on the river here to store boats and house spectators. However these have all now been replaced by boathouses.
The meadow can be accessed from St Aldate's to the northwest via Broad Walk through the Christ Church War Memorial Garden, from the north in Merton Street via Grove Walk and Merton Walk, and from the eastern end of the High Street via Rose Lane near the Oxford Botanic Garden to the northeast. There is also lesser used access from near the Head of the River public house by Folly Bridge on the River Thames to the southwest, connecting to Poplar Walk (created by Henry Liddell in 1872) and the path by the river. All entrances are via railinged gates that are locked at night.
James Sadler made the first ascent in a balloon by an Englishman from the Meadow on 4 October 1784. The balloon rose to a height of around 3,600 feet and landed six miles away near the village of Wood Eaton near Islip to the north-east of Oxford. A plaque notes the event. The Meadow was also the location where the medieval royal pretender, John Deydras, claimed to have been persuaded by the devil to impersonate Edward II in 1318.Postwar development planned for central Oxford included a relief road passing through the meadow and joining the district of St Ebbe's. The proposal was finally defeated in 1971 after vigorous opposition.Church Lane Flood Meadow
Church Lane Flood Meadow is a 3.3 hectare Local Nature Reserve in North Weald Bassett in Essex. It is owned and managed by Epping Forest District Council.The site was created to relieve flooding in the parish, and it is managed for wildlife. A pond and wet grassland have been created, and over 2,500 native deciduous trees have been planted. Plants include ragged robin and marsh cinquefoil, and 16 butterfly and moth species have been recorded, together with 10 dragonflies and 60 birds.There is access to footpaths on the site by a footpath from the High Road.Derwent Ings
Derwent Ings is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) divided between North Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. Derwent Ings is of international significance and has been designated a Wetland of International Importance under the Ramsar Convention and as a Special Protection Area under the terms of the European Community Directive. Part of the site is owned by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and is managed in conjunction with English Nature. It lies adjacent to the River Derwent between Sutton upon Derwent and Menthorpe. The site, which was designated a SSSI in 1975, consists of a series of neutral alluvial flood meadows, fen and swamp communities and freshwater habitats. It is one of the most important examples of agriculturally unimproved species-rich alluvial flood meadow habitat remaining in the UK.
In winter the Ings support internationally important concentrations of waterfowl, in excess of 20,000 individuals, together with nationally important numbers of Bewick's swan, teal, wigeon, mallard, pochard, golden plover and ruff.Godmanchester
Godmanchester ( GOD-mən-ches-tər, traditionally GUM-stər) is a small town and civil parish in the Huntingdonshire district of Cambridgeshire, in England. Within the parish its buildings are concentrated at the north end including a section of the south-to-east bank of the River Great Ouse facing the large Portholme flood-meadow at the south end of the town of Huntingdon. The urban-to-suburban core of the area is entirely south of the A14 arterial road.Heavers Meadow
Heavers Meadow is a meadow located in South Norwood and Selhurst in the London Borough of Croydon. South Norwood Recreation Ground is on the other side of the road. The meadow covers an area of 83⁄4 acres (3.34 hectares). With meadows there are not usually many facilities. Heavers is no exception; the only facility stated on the council's website is a footpath through a flood meadow.However the meadow is good for commuters from Tennison Road and the surrounding area who are going to Victoria as Selhurst railway station is on the other side of the meadow. There is no gate on the Tennison Road side so it is never closed at night. The path through the meadow is very popular to cyclists.Kasari (river)
The Kasari is a river in western Estonia that drains into the Matsalu Bay which is part of Väinameri. There is a 308-metre-long pedestrian bridge over it which was built in 1904 and was the longest concrete bridge in Europe at the time. The river itself is 112 km long, and is the fourth longest river in Estonia. The river is a home to a variety of fish, including pike and roach.Loughborough Meadows
Loughborough Meadows is a 60.5 hectares (149 acres) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest on the northern outskirts of Loughborough in Leicestershire. An area of 35.3 hectares (87 acres) is managed as a nature reserve by the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust.This is the largest area of unimproved alluvial flood meadow in the county, and wet areas are dominated by creeping bent and marsh foxtail. A brook has large areas of marsh foxtail, and there is a field with breeding lapwings and redshanks.There is public access to the site.Menthorpe
Menthorpe is a hamlet in the civil parish of North Duffield in North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the west bank of the River Derwent, 6 miles (10 km) east of Selby.
Menthorpe Ings, north of the hamlet, is a flood meadow which is part of the Derwent Ings Site of Special Scientific Interest, internationally important for its concentration of water-fowl in winter.Mils bei Imst
Mils bei Imst is a municipality in the Imst district and is located 5 km west of Imst. Thanks to a motorway tunnel the location is free of heavy traffic. Mils possesses a flood-meadow which is a popular recreation area.Nemška Loka
Nemška Loka (pronounced [ˈneːmʃka ˈloːka]; German: Unterdeutschau) is a settlement in the Municipality of Kočevje in southern Slovenia. It was inhabited mostly by Gottschee Germans. During the Second World War its original population was expelled. The area is part of the traditional region of Lower Carniola and is now included in the Southeast Slovenia Statistical Region.Portholme
Portholme (or Port Holme on Ordnance Survey mapping) is a 106-hectare (260-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest between Huntingdon and Godmanchester in Cambridgeshire, England. It is a Nature Conservation Review site, and a Special Area of Conservation.The site is an alluvial flood meadow, and one of the largest areas of grassland which is still traditionally managed as a Lammas meadow. Watercourses have some unusual invertebrates, including the nationally restricted dragonfly Libellula fulva. The meadow is managed by cutting followed by grazing, and it is flooded in winter and early spring.There is access from footpaths and roads including Mill Common.Between April and October 1918, the meadow was used as a Training Depot Station (designated No. 211 TDS) by the Royal Air Force. Aircraft were moved to RAF Scopwick in October 1918.River Ise and Meadows
River Ise and Meadows is a 13.5 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest along the River Ise in Northamptonshire between Geddington and the Kettering to Corby railway line east of Rushton.The river is described by Natural England as "the best example in the county of a lowland river on clay, fed by base-rich water". The banks have tall fen, woodland and grassland, and there is also a species rich flood meadow. The river has many bends and loops, with silty pools and gravel shoals. The invertebrates are diverse, and there is a population of the nationally declining freshwater crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes.The eastern section runs through private land, but the western end, between Barford Bridge and the railway line, is part of the Barford Wood and Meadows nature reserve, managed by the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire.Rye Meads
Rye Meads is a 58.5 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) in Rye House, Hertfordshire.
It is one of series of wetlands and reservoirs situated along the River Lea, to the north-east of London.
It is part of the Lea Valley RAMSAR site (a group of internationally important wetland sites) and a Special Protection Area.
The SSSI is divided into three areas. North of Rye Road is the Rye Meads nature reserve, which is open to the public. The western half of this nature reserve, next to the River Lea in the Lee Valley Regional Park, is managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB). The eastern half is managed by the Hertfordshire and Middlesex Wildlife Trust (HMWT). The SSSI also includes a meadow and lagoons owned by Thames Water south of Rye Road which is not open to the public.The RSPB reserve has ten birdwatching hides, trails and a visitor centre. Birds include kingfisher, snipe, green sandpiper, shoveler, gadwall and tufted duck.The HMWT site is an ancient flood meadow which has a variety of habitats including reedbed, marshy grassland and fen. It is grazed by ponies and water buffalo.The entrance to the nature reserve is on Rye Road. There is a path around the site, but a one-way turnstile blocks wheelchairs and pushchairs, and only allows access from the RSPB half to the HMWT area, not vice versa.Selhurst
Selhurst is a London suburb in the Borough of Croydon 7.8 miles (12.6 km) south-south-east of Charing Cross. The area is bounded by South Norwood, Croydon and Thornton Heath. The home stadium of Crystal Palace Football Club, called Selhurst Park, is sited at the northern end of the neighbourhood. The BRIT School, a performing arts school operated by The BRIT foundation, more commonly known for the BRIT Awards, is located in the area.
Selhurst is named after the Anglo Saxon for "dwelling in a wood". Evidence of a Saxon settlement was found when the railway station was built. The land was once owned by Henry VIII.
Heavers Meadow is an open space covering an area of 8.75 acres (0.014 sq mi; 0.035 km2) with a footpath through a flood meadow.The composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875–1912) lived at 30 Dagnall Park and the writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859–1930) lived on Tennison Road.The Riddy
The Riddy is an 8.4 hectare flood meadow and Local Nature Reserve located in Sandy, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom, bordering the River Ivel. Owned by Sandy Town Council but managed by both the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity, the 7.7 hectares (19 acres) site gains its name from a small stream which flows through the eastern end of the reserve. The different habitats in the Riddy support a diverse range of species, including a multiplicity of grasses and flowering plants in the meadows, aquatic plants and water voles which inhabit the ditches, ponds and stream, and birds which feed and hunt across the reserve.The Riddy is currently open to the general public; although some of the paths are reasonably rough, the site is most accessible via the riverside path: a disabled access gate is provided as well. The River Ivel may be fished from the reserve border, but a permit from the town council and national rod licence are required.Thornwood Common
Thornwood Common is a village on the B1393 road, in the civil parish of North Weald Bassett and the Epping Forest district of Essex, England.
The town of Epping is 1 mile (1.6 km) to the south. The hamlet of Thornwood is conjoined to the village at the north. Thornwood Common Flood Meadow is a Local Nature Reserve.Thornwood Common Flood Meadow
Thornwood Common Flood Meadow is a 3 hectare Local Nature Reserve in Thornwood Common in Essex. It is owned and managed by Epping Forest District Council.The flood meadow was created in 1998 by the council and the National Rivers Authority to alleviate flooding in Thornwood village, and it is managed for nature conservation. A wetland meadow, 800 trees and a 200-metre hedge have been created. Flowers include ragged robin, oxeye daisy and knapweed.There is access by a footpath from Thornwood Common High Road, south of Woodside.Yelden Meadows
Yelden Meadows is a 2.8 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Yelden (or Yeilden) in Bedfordshire. It was notified under Section 28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and the local planning authority is Bedford Borough Council.The site is a rare example of neutral grassland on clay which has not been improved agriculturally. It is a flood meadow which has been maintained to provide hay with grazing during the winter, and it has a rich variety of plant species. The main grasses are meadow foxtail and rough meadow grass. Old hedgerows add to the diversity of habitats.The site is private land and there is no public access.