Fitzwilliam College (often abbreviated "Fitz") is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Cambridge, England. The college traces its origins back to 1869 and the foundation of the Non-Collegiate Students Board, a venture intended to offer students from less financially privileged backgrounds a chance to study at the university. The institution was originally based at Fitzwilliam Hall (later renamed Fitzwilliam House), opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum in central Cambridge. Having moved to its present site in the north of the city, Fitzwilliam attained collegiate status in 1966. Female undergraduates were first admitted in 1978, around the time most colleges were first admitting women.
To date, six alumni of Fitzwilliam College have received a Nobel Prize. Notable alumni include former Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, former Indian President Shankar Dayal Sharma, Queen Sofía of Spain, Liberal Democrats leader Sir Vince Cable, former Chancellor of the Exchequer Lord Lamont, Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick and her predecessor Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Supreme Court Justice Lord Kitchin, former President of the European Court of Human Rights Dean Spielmann, historian David Starkey, Nobel Prize-winning physiologist Albert Szent-Györgyi, Indian revolutionary leader Subhas Chandra Bose, former World Bank Chief Economist Joseph Stiglitz, and Nobel Prize-winning economist Angus Deaton.
Fitzwilliam is now home to around 450 undergraduates, 300 graduate students and 90 fellows.
|Location||Storey's Way (map)|
|Motto||Ex antiquis et novissimis optima (Latin)|
|Motto in English||The best of old and new|
|Established||1966 (1869 as a non-collegiate body)|
|Named for||Fitzwilliam Street (original location),|
which was named after the Fitzwilliam Museum,
which was named after the 7th Viscount FitzWilliam
|Previous names||Fitzwilliam Hall (non-collegiate) (1869–1924),|
Fitzwilliam House (non-collegiate) (1924–1966)
|Sister college||St Edmund Hall, Oxford|
|Endowment||£58.5m (as of 30 June 2017)|
Location in Cambridge
In 1869, Cambridge University altered its statutes to allow men who were not members of a college to become members of the University under the supervision of a censor, whose office was in Trumpington Street, opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum. This provided students who could not afford to belong to a college with a base from which to study at the University, allowing them to be admitted to degrees, sit examinations and compete for scholarships. The name "Fitzwilliam" was chosen by the students at a meeting of the Non-Collegiate Amalgamation Club in the Spring of 1887 and, as a result, the University decreed that the house in Trumpington Street could be known as Fitzwilliam Hall. This became the headquarters of the Non-Collegiate Students Board and provided student facilities and limited accommodation. It was renamed Fitzwilliam House in 1922.
Due to its emphasis on academic ability rather than wealth, Fitzwilliam quickly attracted a strong academic contingent that included future Nobel Prize winners, Heads of State and important judicial figures. It developed a tradition in Medicine and established a reputation as one of the most internationally diverse institutions within the University.
In the second half of the 20th century, the availability of grants made Cambridge more accessible and the need for a non-collegiate body of undergraduates began to decline. The suggestion that Fitzwilliam close prompted an outcry from former students and it was therefore decided that it should aim for collegiate status. Funds were accumulated and a new site was acquired at Castle Hill, about one mile north of the city centre. The first new buildings were opened in 1963.
Since Fitzwilliam began operating at its current site in the north-west of Cambridge, it has grown steadily and developed into one of the University's larger, more cosmopolitan colleges. Built around a regency manor house, the college has grown by one or two buildings each decade and now consists of five interconnected courts, enclosing large, rectangular gardens. In contrast to most of the University, and indeed the regency estate at the college's centre, the majority of the buildings are of modern design.
The first two courts and the central building (comprising, among other things, the old library, the dining hall, the junior common room and the bar) were designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and completed in 1963. The intention was for these buildings to constitute the back of the college and, as funding became available, the college grew to the south, with New Court (1985), the Chapel (1991) and Wilson Court (1994). Finally, the plan was completed when Gatehouse Court (2003) became the college's new front. In the following year, the college completed the new Auditorium building, and in doing so became home to some of the best performance facilities in the University.
In 2007 the college built a new boathouse on the River Cam, in 2009 the Library and IT Centre was added and, in 2010, the college acquired the buildings and grounds that formerly belonged to the Cambridge Lodge Hotel with the intention of renovating them for the use of graduate students.
Fitzwilliam has, over the years, also become known for its beautiful gardens, which largely predate the college. In 2008, an archaeological dig discovered on the College site the earliest clear evidence of settlement in Cambridge, the remains of a 3,500-year-old farmstead.
Fitzwilliam was the third Cambridge college and is, as of today, one of only seven to have won University Challenge. It did so in 1973 with a team that consisted of Philip Bassett (Botany), David Curry (Material Sciences), David Wurtzel (Law) and Michael Halls (English). The same team featured in the 2002 Reunited Series and won its only game, which was against a team from neighbouring college Churchill, winner of the 1970 series.
The main grounds of the College are located off Storey's Way, towards the north-west of Cambridge. The college is sometimes identified as one of the Hill Colleges, together with Churchill College, St Edmund's College, Girton College and Murray Edwards College. These colleges are all among the most recently established and tend to share certain architectural features.
Fitzwilliam consists of a variety of modern buildings, built in the grounds of a regency estate.
The college's centrepiece is the Grove, a Grade II regency manor house, designed by the architect William Custance and constructed in 1813. Custance was also the house's first resident and his initials, along with the date '1814', can be found on a rainwater hopper at the side of the house.
Another slightly smaller building known as Grove Lodge was also designed by Custance and is now part of Murray Edwards College. For some time, both properties were owned by the Darwin family and The Grove served as Emma Darwin's primary residence between 1883 and 1896, following the death of her husband Charles. During this time, she had the interior lined with original William Morris wallpaper and two of her sons had smaller houses built in the grounds. Although both have since been demolished, the house built by Horace Darwin, which was known as The Orchard, was donated to Murray Edwards College in 1962 and the site now serves as its primary campus. In 1988, The Grove became part of Fitzwilliam and today it is home to the Senior Tutor's office and various multi-purpose rooms, as well as the Middle and Senior Common Rooms.
The Hall Building is a large complex towards the back of the college. It was built between 1960 and 1963 and was designed by Sir Denys Lasdun, who won Royal Gold Medal in 1977 and is best known for having designed the National Theatre in London. The building consists primarily of the college dining hall, but also houses the bar, kitchens, the junior common room, a couple of seminar rooms and a music room. The dinner gong, just outside the dining hall, was originally the bell of the aircraft carrier HMS Ocean, and was presented to Fitzwilliam House by Admiral of the Fleet Sir Caspar John in 1962.
Like the Hall Building, Fellows' Court was part of the initial construction, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and completed in 1963 at a cost of approximately £300,000. It occupies an area in the far corner of the college and is enclosed by the Hall Building, the Law Library and two dormitories. It is generally reserved for fellows, and, as well as residence, housed the Fellows' Parlour.
Tree Court, the last component of the initial 1963 construction, is located at the north end of the college, opposite Fellows' Court. The court was initially the college's main entrance and, with a car park and a cycling bay just outside, it remains a back door to the college. Tree Court was Lasdun's first student accommodation; he would go on to design similar buildings at the University of East Anglia and Christ's College, Cambridge. Although the court opens out onto the college gardens, the wall opposite the Hall Building was recently lengthened with the addition of the college's new Library and IT Centre. Today, Tree Court provides residence for the majority of first-year students.
In the mid-eighties, the college expanded to the south with the construction of New Court, a three-walled residential compound, designed by MacCormac Jamieson Prichard. Students and fellows contributed to the design with such ideas as intersecting staircases and elongated windows. The building won 1989 David Urwin Award for Best New Building.
In 2004, the court gained its fourth wall with the completion of the college's new auditorium.
In 1991, a college chapel was appended to the north wing of New Court. The building, which was also designed by MacCormac Jamieson Prichard, faces directly towards the Grove and is in the International style. It is designed to resemble the hull of a ship, hinting at the religious themes of journey and protection. The building is home to a fine two-manual organ designed by Peter Collins, a Bechstein grand piano and a Goble harpsichord. The addition won the 1992 Civic Trust Award, the 1993 Carpenters' Award and the 1993 David Urwin Award for Best New Building. The firm later used a similar design for the Ruskin Library at the University of Lancaster.
The fourth court was added to the south of the college, next to the boundary with Murray Edwards, in 1994. It was designed by van Heyningen and Haward Architects and includes 48 acoustically independent student bedrooms, three seminar rooms, a large common room with a bar and the Gordon Cameron Lecture Theatre, which is also used as the college cinema. It won the 1996 RIBA Award.
The completion of Gatehouse Court in 2003 saw the realisation of Sir Denys Lasdun's original vision. The design, courtesy of Allies & Morrison, reorientated the college by giving it a new entrance, complete with Porter's Lodge, administrative offices, meeting rooms, parking facilities, a large-scale engraving of the college crest and a flagpole. It also provided an extra 42 en suite bedrooms for student accommodation. The college now faces south and opens onto Storey's Way, a smaller, primarily residential street branching off Madingley Road.
This development expanded the college's main site dramatically and the quality of the design was recognised with the award of the 2005 RIBA Award and the 2005 BDA Award for Building of the Year.
The Auditorium building was completed in 2004. Having overseen the construction of Gatehouse Court, Allies & Morrison were employed to design the college's new performance facilities. Built using a similar brick to that used for the Grove almost 200 years earlier, the building is largely below ground-level, resulting in a direct view of the surrounding landscape for audience members towards the back of the gallery. It won the 2005 Concrete Society Award and the 2005 BDA Award for Best Public Building.
Located near the front of the college, the building faces New Court and backs onto the college gardens. Consisting of a large central performance area, three smaller practice rooms and an entrance hall, the auditorium is the official home of the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The main hall, which has been praised for its acoustics, houses a Steinway grand piano, and a tympani, a full-size drum kit, amplifiers and a Bösendorfer piano for student use. Although used primarily for music, the building has also hosted drama performances and important lectures.
In recent years, guest speakers have included the American politician Jesse Jackson, former poet laureate Sir Andrew Motion, and the former head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove, who visited the college as part of the Arrol Adam Lecture Series in 2008.
A new library and IT centre was completed in 2009. As of January 2010, its book collection contains around 60,000 volumes and increases by about 1,000 volumes each year. At a cost of £5m, the building was designed by Edward Cullinan, who had worked with Lasdun on the original college plan, and who was undertaking his first major project after receiving the Royal Gold Medal in 2008. It was built as an extension to the uncompleted east wing of Tree Court and was designed to allow maximum luminosity and energy efficiency.
The building, opened in April 2010 by the Duke of Edinburgh, is also fitted with extensive computing facilities and includes separate underground computer rooms for undergraduates and postgraduates. In 2011, alumnus Ken Olisa donated £1.4m to the development of the Library and IT Centre. In tribute to this generosity, the building was officially named The Olisa Library. Unlike most college libraries, it is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Because Fitzwilliam is at the top of one of the few hills in Cambridge, the Olisa Library's tower is one of the highest points in the city, sometimes said to be the highest.
The name of the college refers ultimately to the Fitzwilliam family, prominent members of the Anglo-Irish nobility, whose ancestral seat Milton Hall is located to the north of Cambridge and who, as students and benefactors, have been associated with the university for several hundred years; more directly, it refers to the Fitzwilliam Museum, founded in 1816 with the bequest of the library, art collection and personal fortune of the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam and situated directly opposite the original headquarters of the Non-Collegiate Students Board, and also to the adjacent Fitzwilliam Street, where many of the non-collegiate students were housed.
Along with the name, the college's coat of arms first came into use in the 1880s when Fitzwilliam Hall needed an emblem to represent its newly formed boat club. The result was a combination between the University coat of arms and the lozengy shield used by the Earls of Fitzwilliam. Initially, the design was used unofficially and it was only when Fitzwilliam was in the process of attaining collegiate status, some 80 years later, that it actually applied for a Grant of Arms. The design was formally recorded by the Duke of Norfolk on behalf of the Queen-in-Council in the late 60s. Notably, the Fitzwilliam coat of arms is the only college emblem to reference the University's own coat of arms.
The college motto is: Ex antiquis et novissimis optima (the best of the old and the new).
The motto has since been adopted by the nearby village of Hardwick and is very similar to that of St Catherine’s College, Oxford, which was established with aims very similar to those with which Fitzwilliam was.
The earliest records of the college's sporting clubs describe the colours as 'grey and ruby'. By Easter 1892, the colours were more closely defined as 'cardinal and French grey'. Since then various shades have been used, although the Middle Combination Room's ties, which celebrate the 1869 foundation, have reverted to cardinal as their main colour. Today, the College is firmly associated with the colours grey and dark red, although they were at one time 'blue and buff', with blue remaining the principal colour of some sporting blazers right up until the 1960s.
Students from Fitzwilliam are sometimes informally referred to as Fitzbillys or Billygoats. As a consequence, the goat has become a popular college mascot and the image of a goat can be found on the front of the boat house, on the boat club flag, and in various places around the college.
Between 1997 and 2006, Fitzwilliam achieved an average of 17th place, near the bottom of the second third, in the Tompkins Table which lists the University's 29 undergraduate colleges in order of their students' examination performances. In the last decade, between 2007 and 2016, Fitzwilliam averaged 21st place, near the top of the bottom third.
The college places an increasing emphasis on Natural Sciences, with students of the discipline accounting for approximately 20% of its undergraduate intake, and has developed traditional strengths in both Music and Politics; in 2010, there were more Fitzwilliam graduates in Parliament than graduates of any other college (6 MPs and 4 life peers).
Fitzwilliam is also home to a noted Criminology department, headed by Emeritus Professor Sir Anthony Bottoms and the College Master Nicola Padfield, and is one of the two colleges (the other being Wolfson) that takes in postgraduate students, in association with the Institute of Criminology, as part of the Police Executive Programme. As a consequence, many prominent figures in Britain's police force are associated with Fitzwilliam.
With, as of 2018, fixed assets worth slightly more than £125m and an endowment of just under £60m, Fitzwilliam is broadly average in terms of college wealth. It is the wealthiest college to have been established (as a college) in the last half-century.
Former pupils of state schools usually comprise around 70–75% of the College's undergraduate population. However, as many of these are either overseas students or from provincial grammar schools and leading comprehensive schools, membership is a lot more diverse than the figures may suggest.
Unlike a number of other colleges, Fitzwilliam has no distinct political leaning and has, in recent years, produced prominent members of all three major national parties.
Cam FM, the university’s student-run radio station, broadcasts from Fitzwilliam College.
In recent years, Fitzwilliam has developed a strong musical tradition. Former students include composer and Master of the King's Music Sir Walford Davies, award-winning conductor David Atherton, the TV and radio presenter Humphrey Burton, music broadcasting executive Sonita Alleyne and singer-songwriter Nick Drake, who secured a record deal with a four-track demo recorded in his college room in 1968. Other prominent music graduates include violist Martin Outram, baritone John Noble, bassist Simon H. Fell and two founding members of the Fitzwilliam String Quartet, which often returns to the college to perform and hold workshops. Opera singer Sally Bradshaw is also on the college teaching staff.
Today, Fitzwilliam has more active music groups than any other college. As well as the traditional Chapel Choir, which also takes in choristers from nearby Murray Edwards, the college is home to numerous singing ensembles. The college's two a cappella groups, Fitz Barbershop and The Sirens, are respectively the oldest and the oldest all-female a cappella groups currently running in Cambridge; both are regular and often successful competitors at the annual Voice Festival UK. Other student groups include Fitz Swing Band and Fitzwilliam Chamber Opera, 'the only permanent collegiate opera group in Cambridge'.
To encourage musical activity, the college hosts the annual Alkan Piano Competition, named after the nineteenth-century virtuoso Charles Valentin Alkan and sponsored by the Alkan Society. The competition is followed by a recital from a professional pianist with a particular interest in Alkan's music, the first of whom was Ronald Smith. Fitzwilliam also offers many music scholarships and bursaries, including, somewhat unusually, a saxophone scholarship.
Due to the college's new Auditorium, Fitzwilliam is also a popular performance venue. Each year it hosts the Fitzwilliam Chamber Series, a collection of concerts by leading professional musicians. Recent performers at the college have included the cellist Julian Lloyd Webber, the popular DJ Annie Mac and the English Touring Opera.
It was at Fitzwilliam that Indie band Good Shoes played their first ever gig.
Fitzwilliam is the only college in Cambridge with a resident professional string quartet. The Fitzwilliam Quartet was established by Cambridge undergraduates, two of them Fitzwilliam students, in 1968. They made their first professional appearance a year later at the Sheffield Arts Festival and, following graduation in 1971, became the Resident Quartet at the University of York.
Just a year into their residence, they became personally acquainted with the Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich and gained international recognition when they were asked to premier several of his string quartets. They went on to become the first group to perform and record all 15 of his string quartets and Shostakovich himself described them as his "preferred performers". When the composer died in August 1975, they had been scheduled to visit him in Moscow just a month later.
The group proceeded to record acclaimed interpretations of many other composers, notably Brahms and Haydn, and won the Grammy Award for Chamber Music in 1977. In 1981, they were awarded Honorary Doctorates of Music by Bucknell University, which were presented by Shostakovich's son, Maxim.
In 2005, a number of their recordings were included in Gramophone magazine's list of the "Hundred Greatest-ever Recordings". They have a long-term contract with Decca Records and perform regularly all over the world. Although membership has changed over the years, the group returned to Fitzwilliam in 1999 when they were appointed the college's Resident Quartet. They visit for performances and workshops each term and even premier pieces written by students. In 2008, they celebrated their 40th anniversary.
The University of Cambridge Philharmonic Orchestra (UCPO) was founded as an offshoot of Fitzwilliam College Music Society. In its early days, the orchestra was supported by grants from the college and rehearsing took place on site. It was initially called the West Cambridge Symphony Orchestra, because the majority of its members were from West Cambridge colleges – predominantly Fitzwilliam, Churchill and New Hall. Although the orchestra later changed its name, a smaller affiliated group, known as the West Cambridge Sinfonia, maintains the reference.
Today, the orchestra rehearses primarily at St Giles' Church. It tours and records on a regular basis and performs University concerts once a term. At Fitzwilliam, the role originally played by WCSO has since been taken over by the Orchestra on the Hill.
Fitzwilliam is traditionally strong in football, rugby union and table tennis. In 2017, Fitzwilliam became the first college in CUAFL history to win all 4 major university football titles in one season.
On site, the college has a multi-gym in the Hall Building, a badminton court in the Auditorium Building and three Squash courts, which are also used for table tennis, in a separate sports hall towards the front of the college.
The college's main sports grounds are located on Oxford Road, just a few minutes' walk from the college's Huntingdon Road entrance. The land was donated to Fitzwilliam Hall in honour of the students who died in the First World War. The grounds include tennis courts, a netball court, a cricket pitch, a rugby pitch, and both full-size and five-a-side football pitches. It is the only sports ground in the University with an on-site club house, complete with a bar. It's regularly used by varsity teams and is also made available to students of Murray Edwards College.
In 2007, the college completed its new boat house, home to Fitzwilliam College Boat Club.
|James Ward||1843||1925||Psychologist and philosopher, President of the Aristotelian Society (1919–20)|
|Sir Charles Scott Sherrington||1857||1952||Neuroscientist, winner of the 1932 Nobel Prize in Medicine, for work on the function of the neuron|
|Joseph Baptista||1864||1930||Politician, Mayor of Bombay (1925–26), one of the founding fathers of the Indian Home Rule Movement|
|Sir Walford Davies||1869||1941||Composer, Master of the King's Music (1934–41)|
|A. G. M. Michell||1870||1959||Mechanical engineer, inventor of the thrust bearing and the tilting-pad fluid bearing|
|Albert Szent-Györgyi||1893||1986||Physiologist, winner of the 1937 Nobel Prize in Medicine, discoverer of Vitamin C|
|Subhas Chandra Bose||1897||1945||President of the Indian National Congress (1938–39) and leader of the Indian National Army (1943–45)|
|Sir J. Eric S. Thompson||1898||1975||Translator of Mayan hieroglyphs|
|Min Chueh Chang||1908||1991||Reproductive biologist, co-developer of the birth control pill, artificial insemination pioneer.|
|Bernard Orchard||1910||2006||Biblical scholar and translator, co-founder and General Secretary of the World Catholic Federation (1970–72)|
|Shankar Dayal Sharma||1918||1999||Ninth President of India (1992–97)|
|Lee Kuan Yew||1923||2015||First and longest-serving Prime Minister of Singapore (1959–90)|
|Samir Shihabi||1925||2010||Saudi diplomat, President of the United Nations General Assembly (1991–92)|
|M. S. Swaminathan||1925||Geneticist, leader of India's Green Revolution, President of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (1984–90), winner the first World Food Prize|
|Sir Louis Blom-Cooper||1926||2018||High Court lawyer, author, last Chairman of the Press Council, co-founder of Amnesty International|
|César Milstein||1927||2002||Biochemist, winner of the 1984 Nobel Prize in Medicine, for producing monoclonal antibodies|
|Lord St John of Fawsley||1929||2012||British politician, life peer, former Leader of the House of Commons and Minister of State for the Arts (1979–81)|
|Humphrey Burton||1931||Emmy Award-winning music broadcaster and director|
|Sir Kenneth Eaton||1934||British Controller of the Navy (1989–94)|
|Nasir Aslam Zahid||1935||Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Pakistan (1992–94)|
|Gordon Redding||1937||Specialist on China, Secretary General of the HEAD Foundation, founder of the Hong Kong University Business School|
|Jayant Narlikar||1936||Astrophysicist, known for the Hoyle–Narlikar theory of gravity, founding member of the Institute of Theoretical Astronomy|
|Queen Sofía of Spain||1938||Queen Consort and wife of King Juan Carlos I of Spain|
|Lord Lamont of Lerwick||1942||British politician, life peer, former Chancellor of the Exchequer (1990–93)|
|Joseph Stiglitz||1943||World Bank Chief Economist (1997–2000), winner of the 2001 Nobel Prize for Economics|
|Vince Cable||1943||British politician, former Business Secretary (2010–15) and former Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats (2006–10)|
|Sir Dennis Byron||1943||Current President of the Caribbean Court of Justice (2011–) and former President of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (2007–11)|
|David Atherton||1944||Conductor of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, founder of the London Sinfonietta and the Mainly Mozart Festival|
|Sir Angus Deaton||1945||Economist; winner of the 2015 Nobel Prize for Economics|
|David Starkey||1945||Constitutional historian and radio and television presenter|
|Andrew Li||1948||Former Chief Justice of Hong Kong|
|Nick Drake||1948||1974||Folk singer-songwriter|
|Ahmed Rashid||1948||Journalist and author, writer of Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia|
|Dinesh Dhamija||1950||Business entrepreneur, founder of the online travel agency Ebookers|
|David Leakey||1952||British military commander, current Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod (2011–2018) and former Director General of the European Union Military Staff (2007–10)|
|Sir Peter Bazalgette||1953||Current President of the Royal Television Society and Chairman of Arts Council England (2013–), former chairman and Creative Director at Endemol (2005–07)|
|David Kitchin, Lord Kitchin||1955||Current Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom|
|Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe||1957||Former Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service (2011–)|
|Tim Sullivan||1958||Film and television director|
|Brian Paddick, Baron Paddick||1958||Politician, life peer, formerly the Lib Dem candidate for Mayor of London and the UK's highest ranked openly gay police officer|
|Ted Young||1961||Editor of Metro|
|Dean Spielmann||1962||Current President of the European Court of Human Rights (2012–)|
|Christian Purslow||1963||Businessman, co-founder of MidOcean Partners and former managing director of Liverpool F.C. (2009–10)|
|Lord Knight of Weymouth||1965||British politician, life peer, former Employment Minister (2009–10) and Education Minister (2007–09)|
|Lee Hall||1966||Playwright, Tony Award-winning writer of Billy Elliot|
|Shankar Balasubramanian||1966||Herchel Smith Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at Cambridge|
|Giles Foden||1967||Novelist and journalist, writer of The Last King of Scotland|
|Andy Burnham||1970||British politician, currently Mayor of Greater Manchester, former Secretary of State for Health (2009–10) and Culture (2008–09).|
|Maurizio Giuliano||1975||Journalist and travel writer|
|Andrew Gower||1978||Video game developer, co-founder of Jagex, responsible for writing the online game RuneScape|
|James Norton||1985||Film, television and stage actor|
|Catherine Banner||1989||Fantasy author|
|Arran Fernandez||1995||Mathematician, youngest Cambridge University entrant since 1773 (aged 15), and youngest ever Senior Wrangler (aged 18)|
|Reginald C. Fuller||1908||2011||Theologian, co-editor of the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition|
|Sir Ernst Boris Chain||1909||1979||Biochemist, winner of the 1945 Nobel Prize in Medicine, for discovering the structure of penicillin|
|Stanley Alexander de Smith||1922||1974||Legal scholar and author, pioneer in administrative law, Constitutional Commissioner of Mauritius|
|Sam Toy||1923||2008||Industrialist, Chairman of Ford of Britain|
|John M Hull||1935||Practical theologian, known for work on blindness and disability|
|Sir Anthony Bottoms||1939||Criminologist, author|
|Rhodri Jeffreys-Jones||1942||Historian, expert on American foreign policy|
|David Pearl||1944||Lawyer, President of the Immigration Appeal Tribunal|
|Bryan S. Turner||1944||Sociologist, Director of the Centre for the Study of Contemporary Muslim Societies|
|David Starkey||1945||Constitutional historian and radio and television presenter|
|Sir Angus Deaton||1945||Microeconomist, recipient of the inaugural Frisch Medal and, in 2015, of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences|
|Clive Wilmer||1945||Poet, art critic, founding editor of Numbers, Director of the Guild of St George (2004–present)|
|Henry McLeish||1945||Politician, second First Minister of Scotland (2000–2001)|
|Paul Muldoon||1951||Poet, winner of the 1994 T. S. Eliot Prize and the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry, Oxford Professor of Poetry (1999–2004), President of the Poetry Society (2007–present) and Poetry Editor at The New Yorker|
|Martin Millett||1955||Archaeologist, Director of the Society of Antiquaries of London|
|Jonathan Partington||1955||Mathematician, writer of some of the earliest text-based computer games|
|John Mullan||1957||Literary critic and Man Booker Prize judge|
The current Master of the college is Nicola Padfield, a barrister and Professor in Criminal and Penal Justice in the Faculty of Law. She writes a blog on college life, and hosts an online interview series entitled In Conversation with the Master.
Fitzwilliam has featured in various books and other media:
|archive-date=(help). Retrieved 18 November 2011.
Alan William Cuthbert, (7 May 1932 – 27 August 2016) was a British pharmacologist and fellow of University College London.Cuthbert was born in Peterborough, England. He was a research professor at Addenbrooke's Hospital, located at the University of Cambridge.
From 1979 to 1999 he was Sheild Professor of Pharmacology, and from 1991 to 1999 he served as master of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. He died at the age of 84 on 27 August 2016.Andrew Gower
Andrew Christopher Gower (born c. 1978) is a British computer programmer and businessman. He is the co-founder of Cambridge-based Jagex, the company he founded with his brothers Paul and Ian Gower and with Constant Tedder. He wrote the MMORPG RuneScape with the assistance of his two brothers, Ian and Paul Gower. In December 2010 he left the Jagex board of directors. He no longer has holdings in the company. As of November 2011, he is not listed under the credits for RuneScape. Since leaving Jagex, Gower has founded a new gaming development and consulting company, Fen Research, of which he holds 90% of the shares. Currently, he is developing a futuristic sci-fi strategy game named Solstrike. Gower has designed a statically-typed programming language to aid in the project's development.Angus Deaton
Sir Angus Stewart Deaton (born 19 October 1945) is a British-American economist and academic. Deaton is currently a Senior Scholar and the Dwight D. Eisenhower Professor of Economics and International Affairs Emeritus at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and the Economics Department at Princeton University. His research focuses primarily on poverty, inequality, health, wellbeing, and economic development.In 2015, he was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his analysis of consumption, poverty, and welfare.C. E. M. Hansel
Charles Edward Mark Hansel (12 October 1917 – 28 March 2011) was a British psychologist most notable for his criticism of parapsychological studies.Catherine Ogle
Catherine Ogle (born 12 May 1961) is a British Anglican priest. Since February 2017, she has been the Dean of Winchester. She was previously the Dean of Birmingham (2010–2017), and a parish priest in the Diocese of Ripon and Leeds and the Diocese of Wakefield.Eddie Butler (rugby player)
Edward Thomas Butler (born 8 May 1957) is a journalist, sports commentator, and former Welsh rugby union player, who won 16 caps for the Wales team between 1980 and 1984 and scored 2 tries. Butler was educated at Monmouth School and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.Fitzwilliam College Boat Club
Fitzwilliam College Boat Club is the rowing club for members of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. Prior to the 1960s, Fitzwilliam House (as it was then called) occupied a position near the bottom of the 2nd division or top half of the 3rd division of the Lent and May Bumps, even finding itself in the 4th division of the Lent Bumps briefly. Between 1959 and 1969, the 1st men's VIII were not bumped in the Lent Bumps, rising to Head of the River in 1969. Between 1960 and 1971, the 1st men's VIII were bumped only once in the May Bumps, taking the headship for three years between 1969 and 1971. From then until the mid-1980s, the 1st VIII held a position in the top-half of the 1st division and won both the Fairbairn Cup and the Emmanuel Sprints Regatta in the Michaelmas Term of 1982. The 1982 crew completed the traditional (1929–1989) Fairbairn course in 14.34, becoming the second (and last!) crew ever to post a winning time of under 15 minutes over the original race distance.
The women's 1st VIII held a position in the top-half of the 1st division briefly in the 1980s, but fell from 6th to 39th position when the May Bumps were re-organised in 1990, with the introduction of coxed-eights. Between the mid-1980s and mid-1990s, the women fell 20 places in the Lent Bumps. The 1st Men won blades in Lent Bumps 2006. In the May Bumps 2011, the Women's 1st VIII won blades. In 2006 1st Novice Men Won the Fairbairns Cup Novice Division. The club repeated this victory in the Novice Division race in 2007 and again in 2009. In 2014, the 2nd Novice Men won the Clare Novices Plate whilst the 1st Novice Men won Emma Sprints. In the Lent Bumps 2015, the 1st Men won superblades, bumping five crews in four days and finishing in the top division.
The Boat Club is supported by an active dedicated society, The Billygoats, whose membership is open to all who have rowed for Fitzwilliam College Boat Club. The Billygoats, often affectionately referred to as the 'Billyguts' after the typical shape of middle-aged former oarsmen, organises social events at the May Bumps and Henley Royal Regatta as well as raising funds to support the Boat Club.J. C. Holt
Sir James Clarke ("Jim") Holt (26 April 1922 – 9 April 2014) was an English medieval historian, known particularly for his work on Magna Carta. He was the third Master of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, serving between 1981 and 1988.John Beer (priest)
John Stuart Beer (born 15 March 1944) is a priest in the Church of England and former Archdeacon of Cambridge.Beer was at Roundhay School and Pembroke College, Oxford. After working in advertising with Rowntree's in York he was ordained in 1972. He became a curate at St John the Baptist's Knaresborough and then a fellow and chaplain at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. After this he became the Rector of Toft and then the Vicar of Grantchester. He was Archdeacon of Huntingdon from 1997 until his appointment to Ely in 2004. He retired in 2014.John Moore (economist)
John Halstead Hardman Moore CBE FBA FRSE (born 7 May 1954) is an economic theorist. He was appointed Professor of Political Economy at the University of Edinburgh School of Economics in 2000. Previously, in 1983, he was appointed to the London School of Economics, where in 1990 he became Professor of Economic Theory, a position he still holds.List of Masters of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
This is a list of Masters of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. Fitzwilliam House, the body established in 1869 for non-collegiate students attached to the University of Cambridge, was presided over by a Censor. Once the non-collegiate system was ended and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge was established as a full college of the university in 1966 the college head became known as the Master (college).Mark Ashcroft
Mark David Ashcroft (born 3 September 1954) is a British Anglican bishop. Since 2016, he has been the Bishop of Bolton. He had previously been Archdeacon of Manchester from 2009 to 2016. Apart from ten years working in Kenya, he has spent all his ordained ministry in the Diocese of Manchester, Church of England.Mike Hill (bishop)
Michael Arthur "Mike" Hill (born 17 April 1949) is an English Anglican bishop. He was the Bishop of Bristol from 2003 until he retired effective 30 September 2017.The son of Arthur and Hilda Hill, Hill was educated at Wilmslow County Grammar School, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge and at Ridley Hall, Cambridge. He was ordained a deacon at Petertide 1977 (26 June) and a priest the next Petertide (2 July 1978), both times by Donald Coggan, Archbishop of Canterbury, at Canterbury Cathedral. From 1977 to 1980 he was curate of St Mary Magdalene's, Addiscombe; and, from 1980 to 1983, of St Paul's Slough. From 1983 to 1990 he was priest in charge of St Leonard's Chesham Bois. In 1990 he became Rural Dean of Amersham and the Archdeacon of Berkshire in 1992. From 1998 to 2003 he was the area Bishop of Buckingham; he was ordained and consecrated a bishop on 19 March 1998 at Southwark Cathedral.In December 2012, he became Chair of the Wycliffe Hall Council.Peter Nott
Peter John Nott (30 December 1933 – 20 August 2018) was an English Anglican bishop: from 1985 to 1999, he served as Bishop of Norwich.Nott was educated at Bristol Grammar School, Dulwich College and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. He began his ordained ministry as a curate at Harpenden after which he was chaplain at Fitzwilliam College and then Rector of Beaconsfield. In 1977 he was appointed as the suffragan Bishop of Taunton. He was translated to be the Bishop of Norwich upon the confirmation of his election on 12 November 1985. He retired in 1999 but continued to serve as an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of Oxford.Richard Frith
Richard Michael Cockayne Frith (born 8 April 1949) is a British Anglican bishop. He is the current Bishop of Hereford and a former Bishop of Hull.Richard Lewis (priest)
Richard Lewis was the Dean of Wells from 1990 to 2003.
He was born on 24 December 1935 and educated at the Royal Masonic School for Boys and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1960 he began his ecclesiastical career with a Curacy in Hinckley following which he was Priest in charge of St Edmund, Riddlesdown. He then held incumbencies in South Merstham, Wimbledon and Dulwich before his elevation to the Deanery.Shiv K. Kumar
Shiv K. Kumar (16 August 1921, Lahore, British India – 1 March 2017, Hyderabad, India) was an Indian English poet, playwright, novelist, and short story writer. His grandfather late Tulsi Das Kumar was a school teacher and his father Bishan Das Kumar, was a retired headmaster. The letter 'K' stands for Kumar. (I.e) Shiv Kumar Kumar.Vanessa Herrick
Vanessa Anne Herrick (born 27 March 1958) is the Archdeacon of Harlow.She was educated at the University of York; St John's College, Nottingham; Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge; and Ridley Hall, Cambridge. Herrick was ordained deacon in 1996, and priest in 1997. After a curacy in Bury St Edmunds she was a tutor at Ridley then Director of Mission and Vocation for the Diocese of Ely from 2003 until 2012. She was then Rector of Wimborne Minster from 2012 to 2015; and of the Northern Villages (Hinton Martell, Holt, Horton, Chalbury, Witchampton, Stanbridge, Long Crichel and More Crichel) until her appointment as Archdeacon of Harlow.Vasant Gowarikar
Vasant Ranchhod Gowarikar (25 March 1933 – 2 January 2015) was an Indian scientist. He was the chief of Indian Space Research Organization and also the scientific advisor to the Prime Minister of India in 1991–1993. Gowarikar made valuable contributions to the fields of space research, weather and population. He was well known for his monsoon forecast model as he was the first scientist to develop an indigenous weather forecasting model that predicted the monsoon correctly.