Fiskardo (Greek: Φισκάρδο, also Fiscardo or in the past Viscardo) is a village and a community on the Ionian island of Kefalonia, Greece. It is part of the municipal unit of Erisos. It is the northernmost port of Kefalonia, a short distance from Ithaca. Fiskardo has a small and diminishing fishing fleet. The coast around Fiskardo is mainly rocky with numerous pebble-beached coves. The port serves ferry routes to the ports of Frikes (Ithaca) and Lefkada. It is 5 km north of Vasilikades, 24 km north of Sami and 32 km north of Argostoli. Cephalonia International Airport is 61 km to the south, by road (about 1½ hours). The community of Fiskardo consists of the villages Fiskardo, Evreti, Katsarata, Matsoukata and Tselentata.
Fiskardo is also the name of the two kilometre long bay in which the port is located. Fiskardo and the dense forest in the surrounding area have been declared areas of great natural beauty and are protected under Greek law. In recent years a small tourist industry has developed, centred on luxury villas in the area around the village.
|Administrative region||Ionian Islands|
|• Population||295 (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Fiskardo has been identified with the ancient town Panormos, mentioned by the 5th-century BC Greek historian Herodotus. In late 2005, when building a shopping complex close to the harbour in Fiscardo, workers discovered a plaque dating back to ancient Greece which gave thanks to the people of Panormos from the people of Athens for allowing them to hunt in the area. In late 2006 construction workers building a new hotel near the centre of Fiskardo stumbled upon a perfectly preserved Roman-era grave complex filled with gold jewellery, glass, clay pots and bronze artefacts. The complex measures 26 by 20 feet and is the shape of small house. Inside, five burial sites were found including a large vaulted grave and a stone coffin, as well as gold jewellery, pottery and bronze offerings. Archaeologists found gold earrings and rings, gold leaves that may have been attached to ceremonial clothing, as well as glass and clay pots, bronze artefacts decorated with masks, a bronze lock and copper coins. On a nearby plot, archaeologists also discovered a remarkably well-preserved theatre with their stone back rests still in place. Other excavations have uncovered remains of houses, a baths complex and a cemetery, all dating to Roman times - between 146 B.C. and 330 A.D. The Greek Culture Ministry said at the time that the find is unique. “Nothing else like it has ever been discovered on any Ionian island," said a ministry spokesman. “The site was missed by grave robbers and was untouched when opened. It is so perfectly preserved that the 2000-year-old ancient door still swings open smoothly on stone pivots.”
During the time of Frankish (Norman) dominion in Greece, the village was renamed Fiskardo after Robert Guiscard, Duke of Apulia and Calabria and founder of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies who died at the Atheras beach in 1085. In the 18th century, the port became the commercial harbor of Erisos. Unlike most of Cephalonia, Fiskardo escaped from destruction by the 1953 Ionian earthquake and it has kept its original architecture. In Fiscardo lived the poet and writer Nikos Kavvadias (1910-1975).
|Year||Population village||Population community|
The 1953 Ionian earthquake (also known as the Great Kefalonia earthquake) struck the southern Ionian Islands in Greece on August 12. In mid-August there were over 113 recorded earthquakes in the region between Kefalonia and Zakynthos, and the most destructive was the August 12 earthquake. The event measured 6.8 on the moment magnitude scale scale, and it raised up the whole island of Kefalonia by 60 cm (24 in), and caused widespread damage throughout the islands of Kefalonia and Zakynthos. The maximum felt intensity of shaking was X (extreme) on the Mercalli intensity scale. Between 445 and 800 people were killed.Argostoli
Argostoli (Greek: Αργοστόλι, Katharevousa: Ἀργοστόλιον) is a town and a former municipality on the island of Kefalonia, Ionian Islands, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Kefalonia, of which it is a municipal unit. It has been the capital and administrative centre of Kefalonia since 1757, following a population shift down from the old capital of Agios Georgios (also known as Kastro) to take advantage of the trading opportunities provided by the sheltered bay upon which Argostoli sits. Argostoli developed into one of the busiest ports in Greece, leading to prosperity and growth. The municipal unit has an area of 157.670 km2. The 2011 census recorded a population of 10,633 in the Argostoli municipal unit. Its largest towns are Argostóli (pop. 9,748), Razata (507), Dilináta (496) and Kompothekráta (449).Cephalonia
Cephalonia or Kefalonia (Greek: Κεφαλονιά or Κεφαλλονιά), formerly also known as Kefallinia or Kephallenia (Κεφαλληνία), is the largest of the Ionian Islands in western Greece and the 6th largest island in Greece after Crete, Evoia, Lesvos, Rhodes, and Chios. It is also a separate regional unit of the Ionian Islands region, and the only municipality of the regional unit. It was also a former Latin Catholic diocese Kefalonia–Zakynthos (Cefalonia–Zante) and short-lived titular see as just Kefalonia.
The capital of Cephalonia is Argostoli.Erisos
Erisos (Greek: Έρισος) is a former municipality on the island of Kefalonia, Ionian Islands, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Kefalonia, of which it is a municipal unit. It is located in the northernmost part of the island, and has a land area of 78.114 km². Its population was 1,472 at the 2011 census. The seat of the municipality was in Vasilikades but more known are the two small harbours Fiskardo and Asos. Other town are Antipáta, Mesovoúnia, and Komitáta.Evgiros
Evgiros is a village on the island of Lefkada, in the Ionian Islands of Greece. It is part of the municipal unit of Apollonioi.Kerameies
Kerameies (Greek: Κεραμειές, also Κεραμιές - Keramies) is a community located in the southern part of the island of Kefalonia. It was the seat of the municipality of Leivatho. In the village is the largest school in the area, from kindergarten to high school named "Vallianio Likio Keramion" (http://lyk-keram.kef.sch.gr). It is situated in low hills, at about 140 m elevation. Kerameies is 2 km south of Peratata, 2 km east of Metaxata and 9 km southeast of Argostoli. The village was home to two families of merchants and shipowners, Lykiardopoulos and Vallianos. The Vallianos family is considered a great benefactor of Greece as a result of their donations made to the country, and particularly for the funding of the building of the National Library of Greece in Athens (1888–1903). The village as well as almost the entire island (excluding the Fiskardo area) was struck by the 1953 Ionian earthquake that shook and destroyed every building in the village.List of caves in Greece
This article show a list of caves in Greece.List of lighthouses in Greece
This is a list of lighthouses in Greece.List of postal codes in Greece
This is a list of the first 3 digits and the regions of the postal codes in Greece.List of settlements in Cephalonia
This is a list of settlements in Cephalonia, Greece.
Chaliotata, Sami Σάμη. 2km SE of Poulata.
Poulata, Sami Σάμη.
Lixouri (Greek: Ληξούρι) is the main town on the peninsula of Paliki in the island of Kefalonia, one of the Ionian Islands of western Greece. Lixouri is the second largest community in Kefalonia after Argostoli and before Sami and is the capital of the small peninsula. It is located south of Fiskardo, west of Argostoli.Markopoulo, Cephalonia
Markopoulo (Greek: Μαρκόπουλο) is a village and a community in the southeastern part of the island of Cephalonia, Greece. It is situated at the southeastern foot of Mount Ainos, at about 250 m elevation. The community consists of the villages Markopoulo (population 85 in 2011), Kateleios (pop. 36) and the beach village Kato Kateleios (pop. 156). Markopoulo is located 1 km east of Chionata, 2 km west of Kateleios, 2 km northwest of Kato Kateleios, 6 km west of Skala and 9 km southwest of Poros.Norman conquest of southern Italy
The Norman conquest of southern Italy lasted from 999 to 1139, involving many battles and independent conquerors. In 1130 these territories in southern Italy united as the Kingdom of Sicily, which included the island of Sicily, the southern third of the Italian Peninsula (except Benevento, which was briefly held twice), the archipelago of Malta and parts of North Africa.
Itinerant Norman forces arrived in the Mezzogiorno as mercenaries in the service of Lombard and Byzantine factions, communicating news swiftly back home about opportunities in the Mediterranean. These groups gathered in several places, establishing fiefdoms and states of their own, uniting and elevating their status to de facto independence within fifty years of their arrival.
Unlike the Norman conquest of England (1066), which took a few years after one decisive battle, the conquest of southern Italy was the product of decades and a number of battles, few decisive. Many territories were conquered independently, and only later were unified into a single state. Compared to the conquest of England, it was unplanned and disorganised, but equally complete.Panormus (Cephalonia)
Panormus or Panormos (Ancient Greek: Πάνορμος) was a ancient harbour on the coast of the island of Cephalonia.
Its site is located near the modern Fiskardo.Strait of Ithaca
The Strait of Ithaca (Greek: Στενό Ιθάκης, Steno Ithakis) is a strait separating the islands of Kefalonia to the west and Ithaca to the east. The Strait is approximately 20 km long and 4 to 6 km wide. It runs from south to north, starting at Cape Dichalia and Cape Agios Andreas (northeast of Sami and the Agia Effimia Bay) and up to Cape Viotis and Cape Exogi (north of Fiskardo). The boating route linking the ports of Sami and Fiskardo lies in this strait. The Strait connects to the Ionian Sea on both sides. The Agia Effimia and Sami bays lie to the southwest.