The Ferrari 250 is a series of sports cars and grand tourers built by Ferrari from 1953 to 1964. The company's most successful early line, the 250 series includes many variants designed for road use or sports car racing. 250 series cars are characterized by their use of a 3.0 litres (2,953 cc) Colombo V12 engine designed by Giaoccino Colombo. They were replaced by the 275 and 330 series cars.
1962 Ferrari 250 GT/E
|Body and chassis|
|Layout||Longitudinally-mounted, front-engine, rear-wheel-drive|
|Engine||3.0 L (2953.21 cc) Colombo V12|
3.0 L (2963.45 cc) Lampredi V12 (Europa)
|Wheelbase||2,400 mm (94.5 in) (SWB)|
2,600 mm (102.4 in) (LWB)
2,800 mm (110.2 in) (Europa)
|Successor||Ferrari 275/Ferrari 330|
Most 250 road cars share the same two wheelbases, 2,400 mm (94.5 in) for short wheelbase (SWB) and 2,600 mm (102.4 in) for long wheelbase (LWB). Most convertibles used the SWB type.
Nearly all 250s share the same Colombo Tipo 125 V12 engine. At 2,953 cc (180 cu in), it was notable for its light weight and impressive output of up to 300 PS (221 kW; 296 hp) in the Testa Rossa and GTO. The V12 weighed hundreds of pounds less than its chief competitors — for example, it was nearly half the weight of the Jaguar XK straight-6. Ferrari uses the displacement of a single cylinder as the model designation.
The light V12 propelled the small Ferrari 250 racing cars to numerous victories.
Typical of Ferrari, the Colombo V12 made its debut on the race track, with the racing 250s preceding the street cars by three years.
The first 250 was the experimental 250 S berlinetta prototype entered in the 1952 Mille Miglia for Giovanni Bracco and Alfonso Rolfo. The Mercedes-Benz W194 racers of Rudolf Caracciola, Hermann Lang, and Karl Kling were faster on the long straights but the 230 PS (169 kW; 227 hp) Ferrari made up sufficient ground in the hills and curves to win the race. The car was later entered at Le Mans and in the Carrera Panamericana.
The 250 S used a 2,250 mm (88.6 in) wheelbase with a "Tuboscocca" tubular trellis frame. Suspension was by double wishbones at the front, with double longitudinal semi-elliptic springs locating the live axle at the rear. The car had the drum brakes and worm-and-sector steering typical of the period. The dry-sump 3.0 L (2,953 cc (180 cu in)) engine used three Weber 36DCF carburettors and was mated directly to a five-speed manual transmission.
Following the success of the 250 S in the Mille Miglia, Ferrari showed a more conventional chassis for the new 250 engine at the 1952 Paris Motor Show. Pinin Farina then created coupé bodywork which had a small grille, compact tail and panoramic rear window, and the new car was launched as the 250 MM (for Mille Miglia) at the 1953 Geneva Motor Show. Carrozzeria Vignale's open barchetta version was also an innovative design whose recessed headlights and side vents became a Ferrari staple for the 1950s. 0334MM was the sole chassis with Vignale Berlinetta body, distinctive for its triple portholes on the bottom of front fenders, not on top.
The 250 MM's wheelbase was longer than the 250 S at 2,400 mm (94.5 in), with the coupé 50 kg (110 lb) heavier than the 850 kg (1,874 lb) barchetta. The V12 engine's dry sump was omitted from the production car, and the transmission was reduced by one gear. Power was increased to 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp). The four-cylinder 625 TF and 735 S replaced the V12-powered 250 MM later in 1953.
The 1954 250 Monza was an unusual hybrid of the light four-cylinder 750 Monza and the 250 line. The model used the 250 engine in the short-wheelbase chassis from the 750 Monza. The first two used the Pinin Farina barchetta shape of the 750 Monza and 500 Mondial. Two more 250 Monzas were built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, an early use of the now-familiar coachbuilder. Although a frequent entrant through 1956, the 250 Monzas failed to gain much success and the union of the Monza chassis and 250 engine was not pursued beyond this model.
The racing 250 Testa Rossa was one of the most successful Ferrari racing cars in its history, with three wins at Le Mans, four wins at Sebring, and two wins at Buenos Aires. One example sold at auction for a record-breaking $16.39 million.
The 250 GTO was produced from 1962 to 1964 for homologation into the FIA's Group 3 Grand Touring Car category. GTO stands for "Gran Turismo Omologato", Italian for "Homologated Grand Tourer". When new, the GTO sold for $18,500 in the United States, and buyers had to be personally approved by Enzo Ferrari and his dealer for North America, Luigi Chinetti.
Thirty-six cars were made in 1962 and 1963. In 1964 the Series II was introduced, which had a different body. Three such cars were made, and four older Series I cars were given a Series II body. It brought the total number of GTOs produced to 39.
In 2004, Sports Car International placed the 250 GTO eighth on a list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s, and nominated it the top sports car of all time. Motor Trend Classic placed it first on a list of the "Greatest Ferraris of all time".
The 250 P was a prototype racer produced in 1963, winning that year's 12 Hours of Sebring, 1000 km Nürburgring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The 250 P used an engine derived from the 250 Testa Rossa, mounted in a rear mid-engine, rear wheel drive configuration.
The mid-engined 250 Le Mans looked very much the prototype racer but was intended for production as a road-going GT. Descended from the 250 P, the Le Mans also appeared in 1963 and sported Pininfarina bodywork. Ferrari was unable to persuade the FIA that he would build the 100 examples required to homologate the car for GT racing. Eventually, 32 LMs were built up to 1965. As a result, Ferrari withdrew from factory participation in the GT class of the 1965 World Sportscar Championship, allowing the Shelby Cobra team to dominate. A 250LM, competing in the Prototype category, won the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Only the very early LM's were true 250 models. All the others made as 3300cc models, and as such should have been named 275 LM. The early cars were converted to the 3300cc engine.
The 250 design was successful both on the road and on the track. A number of GT models were built in varying states of road or racing trim.
The 250 Europa, introduced in Paris in 1953, was the only one of the family to use a different engine, sporting the 2963 cc Lampredi V12 based on a design for Formula One 3.3 L engine. It was a square engine, with 68 mm (2.7 in) of bore and stroke, developing 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) at 6,300 rpm, with three Weber 36DCF (or DCZ) carburettors, and mated to a 4-speed transmission. This big car could reach 218 km/h. With the long 2,800 mm (110.2 in) wheelbase and Ferrari 375 America-style bodies, it was designed as a grand tourer. Both 250 Europa and 375 America shared the same chassis, wheelbase and mechanicals apart for the engine. Pinin Farina and Vignale handled the coachwork, and 22 were made, including two later converted to 375 America. 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 tyres were standard.
The first road car to use Colombo's 250 V12 was the 250 Europa GT, introduced at the 1954 Paris Motor Show. Pinin Farina's sober Paris coupé was just one of many shapes for the 250 GT model line, with coachbuilt production extending through 1956 before the 250 line became more standardized. The original 250 Europa GT used a 2,600 mm (102.4 in) wheelbase on a conventional chassis, with 600-16 Stella Bianca tyres. The wet sump V12 was tuned to 220 PS (162 kW; 217 hp), with three Weber 36DCZ3 carburettors. Echoing Vignale's 250 Europa, Pinin Farina added now-familiar vents to the front fenders, a standard styling cue for many of the 250 GTs that followed.
Pinin Farina introduced a 250-based prototype coupé at the 1956 Geneva Motor Show which came to be called the 250 GT Boano. Intended as a styling exercise and inspiration to 250 GT Europa customers, the car generated demand that soon called for a production series.
Unable to meet the demand without expansion, Pinin Farina asked Mario Boano, formerly of Ghia, to handle the construction. When Fiat later recruited Boano, he handed production duties to his son-in-law Ezio Ellena. With partner Luciano Pollo, Carrozzeria Ellena would produce the 250 GT for another few years. Ellena revised the car, raising the roof and removing the vent windows from the doors. These examples became known as the 250 GT Ellena.
Carrozzeria Boano built 74 250 GTs on the long-wheelbase chassis. Carrozzeria Ellena built another 50 Coupés.
All but one were coupés. The single convertible, 0461 GT, was sold to New York collector Bob Lee off the stand at the 1956 New York Auto Show. At the direction of Enzo Ferrari, Lee bought the car for $9,500, far below cost. He still owns it, making it one of the oldest Ferraris still in the hands of the original purchaser.
Four examples of the 250 GT Coupé Speciale were made, on the type 513 chassis. (Although chassis numbers were in the middle of the Boano 250 GT Coupé run they did not share the same chassis type.). They had Series I 410 Superamerica-style bodies and type 128, 3.0 V12 engines.
The original 250 GT Berlinetta, nicknamed the "Long Wheelbase Berlinetta", was also called the "Tour de France" after competing in the 10-day Tour de France automobile race. Seventy-seven Tour de France cars were built, of which a number were sold for GT races from 1956 through 1959. Construction was handled by Carrozzeria Scaglietti based on a Pinin Farina design. The engine began at 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp) but eventually rose to 260 PS (191 kW; 256 hp). Pirelli Cinturato 165R400 tyres (CA67) were standard.
At the 1956 Geneva Motor Show, Scaglietti displayed their own 250 GT prototype, which became known as the limited-production, Series I, "no-louvre" 250 GT Berlinetta. The first customer car was built in May 1956, with production now the responsibility of Scaglietti in Modena. Fourteen "no-louvre" and nine "14-louvre" Series I and II Berliettas were made.
There were four series of 250 GT Berlinettas. In mid-1957 the Series III cars were introduced, with three louvres and covered headlights. Eighteen were produced. The 36 Series IV cars; retained the covered headlights and had a single vent louvre. Zagato also made five "no-louvre" superlight cars to Ugo Zagato's design.
A 250 GT Berlinetta won Tour de France Automobile three times in 1956, 1957 and 1958. Ferrari's winning streak in this race will be carried over with later 'Interim' and SWB Berlinettas.
Released at the Geneva Motor Show in 1957, the original 250 GT Cabriolet Pinin Farina Series I used the 2,600 mm (102.4 in) wheelbase and the body was styled differently from the Berlinetta. Cars left the factory on either 165R400 or 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67).
About 36 examples were produced before a second series was shown at Paris in 1959. These later cars had more in common with the production Berlinetta.
About 200 of the Series II cars were built.
Motor Trend Classic placed the 250 GT Series I Cabriolet and Coupé ninth on their list of the ten "Greatest Ferraris of all time".
Designed for export to North America, the 1957 250 GT California Spyder was Scaglietti's interpretation of an open-top 250 GT. Aluminium was used for the hood, doors, and trunk lid, with steel elsewhere for most models. Several aluminium-bodied racing versions were also built. The engine was the same as in the 250 Tour de France racing car with up to 240 PS (237 hp; 177 kW) @ 7000 rpm and a maximum torque of 265 N⋅m (195 lb⋅ft; 27 kg⋅m) @ 5000 rpm, from a 2,953 cc (3.0 L; 180.2 cu in) naturally aspirated SOHC 2 valves per cylinder 60º Ferrari Colombo V12 engine, equipped with 3 Weber carburetors. All used the long 2,600 mm (102.4 in) chassis, and Pirelli Cinturato 185VR16 tyres (CA67) were standard.
A total of fifty LWBs were made before the SWB version superseded them in 1960. One example sold at auction on August 18, 2007 in Monterey, California, for $4.9 million. While radio host and former Top Gear presenter Chris Evans bought one for $12 million in 2008.
Needing series production to stabilize his company's finances, Enzo Ferrari asked Pinin Farina to design a simple and classic 250 GT coupé. After the 250 GT Coupé Boano/Ellena, Pinin Farina's Grugliasco plant expanded and now had the capacity to produce the new 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina. It was introduced at Milan in 1958, and 335 near-identical examples were built by 1960. Buyers included Prince Bertil of Sweden. The GT Coupé eschewed the fender vents for simple, clean lines and a notchback look with panoramic rear window. The oval grille was replaced by a more traditional long narrow look with protruding headlights. Telescopic shock absorbers were also fitted instead of the Houdailles on previous 250s, and disc brakes were added in 1960. The original 165R400 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67) were later changed to 185VR16. The final 250 GT Coupé had a Superfast tail and was shown at the 1961 London Motor Show.
in 1959, seven 250 GT Berlinetta "Interim" LWB coupés were made. They utilized the old long-wheelbase chassis and had the new Pinin Farina bodywork of the upcoming SWB Berlinettas. The bodies are all-aluminum. Interim vehicles have an additional rear quarter window, absent from the succeeding "Passo Corto" Berlinettas. The Interim vehicles are serial numbers 1377GT, 1461GT, 1465GT, 1509GT, 1519GT, 1521GT and 1523GT. 'Interim' Berlinetta won 1959 Tour de France Automobile, thus continuing Ferrari's dominance.
In line with the high-volume coupé, Pinin Farina also designed a plainer 250 GT Cabriolet for series production. Introduced at the 1959 Paris Motor Show, the GT Spider sported a look similar to the GT Coupé of the previous year, including the removal of the side vents. 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67) were standard. On the Coupé the headlights were uncovered. About 212 were produced.
One of the most notable GT racers of its time, the 1959 250 GT Berlinetta SWB used a short (2,400 mm (94.5 in)) wheelbase for better handling. Of the 176 examples built, both steel and aluminum bodies were used in various road ("lusso") and racing trims. Engine output ranged from 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp) to 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp). The "lusso" road car version was originally fitted with 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato (CA67).
Development of the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta was handled by Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and young Mauro Forghieri, the same team that later produced the 250 GTO. Disc brakes were a first on a Ferrari GT, and the combination of low weight, high power, and well-sorted suspension made it competitive. It was unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in October and quickly began selling and racing. The SWB Berlinetta won Ferrari the GT class of the 1961 Constructor's Championship. Also won 1960, 1961 and 1962 Tour de France Automobile before giving ground to the GTO's.
In 2004, Sports Car International placed the 250 GT SWB seventh on a list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s, and Motor Trend Classic placed it fifth on a list of the ten "Greatest Ferraris of all time".
In 1959 Ferrari gave the 250 GT Berlinetta sharper handling, reducing its wheelbase from 2,600 mm to 2,400 mm. In 1960, Scaglietti revealed the 250 GT California Spyder SWB at the Geneva Motor Show, its body pulled more tautly over this updated chassis. Like the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB on which it was based, the revised Spyder also received disc brakes and a 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) version of the three-litre V12. It was fitted with 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67). About 55 were built.
A custom-built fiberglass-bodied replica of a 1961–1963 250 GT California Spyder, was featured in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Three 1985 Modena Spyders (two running and one shell for destruction) were built for the film by Modena Design & Development on custom frames. One of the running models was sold back to Modena for restoration and in April 2018 became the 22nd vehicle added to the National Historic Vehicle Register.
The LWB 250 GT theme was expanded with the 2+2 model 250 GT/E, the first large-production four-seat Ferrari (earlier four-seaters were made in very small numbers). Interior space was increased by moving the engine forward in the chassis. The rear seats were suitable for children but small for adults. Pirelli Cinturato 185VR15 tyres (CA67) were original equipment. The standard wheels used on series 1 & 2 were the Borrani RW3591 and the series 3 were fitted with the Borrani RW3690 as a standard.
Engine output was listed at 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp).
Almost 1,000 GT/Es were constructed by Pininfarina with prototypes starting in 1959 and continuing through three series until 1963. The model was followed by the visually similar 330 Americas.
The large production run of the GT/E was a major contributor to Ferrari's financial well-being in the early 1960s. MSRP of the GT/E was $11,500.
Pininfarina updated the 250 GT with the GT Lusso or GTL. Introduced at the 1962 Paris show, the car had flowing lines and a fastback shape typical of the GT cars of the mid-1960s. The engine was the 250 GTO's Tipo 168 with 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp) and three Weber 36DCS carburettors. 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67) were standard.
Built by Scaglietti, the Lusso continued through 1964 with few modifications.
In 2004, Sports Car International placed the 250 GT Lusso tenth on a list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s. Steve Boone, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the group Lovin' Spoonful owned chassis number #4237, which was stolen from a repair shop in Queens, New York and never found.
Tractor manufacturer Ferruccio Lamborghini owned several Ferrari 250s. His frustration with Enzo Ferrari's response to his complaints about frequent clutch problems was key to his decision to make his own cars. He later hired ex-Ferrari engineers to design and develop them.
A predecessor to the 250 line was the 225 S introduced at the 1952 Giro di Sicilia. Two of the two-seat sports prototypes were built, an open barchetta and closed coupé, both by Vignale. Seven 225 S cars were entered in the 1952 Mille Miglia, but they were overshadowed by the larger-engined 250 S. A 225 S tested at Imola was the first Ferrari to drive the course.
Based on 250 GT 2+2, the 1963 330 America shared the outgoing model's chassis but not its engine. Powered by the new 4.0 L engine of the 330-series cars, fifty 330 Americas were built. 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (CA67) were original equipment, changed to 205VR15s (CN72) after 1964.
The 1000 Kilometres of Paris was an endurance race, mainly for sports cars, which was held at the Autodrome de Linas-Montlhéry in France from 1956 to 1995.1959 24 Hours of Le Mans
The 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 27th 24 Hours of Le Mans, Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 20 and 21 June 1959, on Circuit de la Sarthe. It was also the fourth round of the F.I.A. World Sports Car Championship. The prospect of an exciting duel between Ferrari, Aston Martin and giantkillers Porsche was enough to draw large crowds and some 150,000 spectators gathered for France’s classic sports car race, around the 8.38-mile course.
Aston Martin finally achieved the coveted outright win, doing it with a 1-2 finish. The marque had first entered the Le Mans race in 1928, running every race since 1931 and had finished second three times and third twice before this victory.1961 12 Hours of Sebring
The Sebring 12-Hour Florida International Grand Prix of Endurance for the Alitalia Group took place on 25 March 1961, on the Sebring International Raceway, (Florida, United States). It was the opening round of the F.I.A. World Sports Car Championship. This was also the second round of the F.I.A. GT Cup.1961 24 Hours of Le Mans
The 1961 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 29th Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 10 and 11 June 1961. It was also the 4th round of the 1961 World Sportscar Championship. Ferrari and Maserati were the main title contenders, with Porsche an outside chance for the Championship.
Ferrari's competition soon wilted in the race – the Maseratis were fast but fragile. The Aston Martins, though reliable, couldn't match the Italian cars’ pace. In the end it was a race between the two works team cars and the NART entry, And when the Rodriguez brothers’ engine blew with just two hours to go, it was a clear 1-2 victory for the Ferrari works team. A privateer Ferrari GT was third with an American-run Maserati fighting it way back up to fourth, a full 22 laps behind the winner.1962 24 Hours of Le Mans
The 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 30th Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 23 and 24 June 1962. It was the eighth round of the new 1962 International Championship of Manufacturers.1963 24 Hours of Le Mans
The 1963 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 31st Grand Prix of Endurance in the 24 Hours of Le Mans series and took place on 15 and 16 June 1963. It was also the tenth round of the 1963 World Sportscar Championship season.
Despite good weather throughout the race, attrition was high leaving only twelve classified finishers. There were a number of major accidents, the most serious of which caused the death of Brazilian driver Christian Heins and bad injuries to Roy Salvadori and Jean-Pierre Manzon. This was the first win for a mid- or rear-engined car, and the first all-Italian victory – with F1 drivers Ludovico Scarfiotti and Lorenzo Bandini winning in their Ferrari 250 P. In fact Ferrari dominated the results list filling the first six places, and the winners’ margin of over 200 km (16 laps) was the biggest since 1927.Carrozzeria Scaglietti
Carrozzeria Scaglietti (Italian pronunciation: [karrottseˈriːa skaʎˈʎetti]) was an Italian automobile design and coachbuilding company active in the 1950s. It was founded by Sergio Scaglietti in 1951 as an automobile repair concern, but was located across the road from Ferrari in Maranello outside Modena, Italy.
Scaglietti gained Enzo Ferrari's trust and respect both through his bodywork and design skills and for providing a retreat for young Dino Ferrari. Their professional relationship began when Ferrari asked Scaglietti to repair and modify race car bodywork in the late 1940s, which was soon followed by orders for full car bodies in the early 1950s. Scaglietti and Dino Ferrari designed a 166MM, Prototipo 0050M, the first Ferrari to have a "headrest" bump. This feature was subsequently used on most racing Ferraris of the 1950s and 1960s. The idea was initially despised by Enzo but championed by Dino, and 0050M's design became an overall success.
In the mid-1950s, Scaglietti became the Carrozzeria of choice for Ferrari's racing efforts. Many sports racing prototypes were designed and manufactured at their facility. All those exclusively designed by Scaglietti carried the Scaglietti & C. badge while cars built to outside designs did not. The company's 1958 250 Testa Rossa, with its Formula One-inspired pontoon fenders, is one of the most famous Scaglietti designs. Several of Ferrari's most coveted models such as the 250 California Spyder, 250 GTO and 250 Tour de France were built by Scaglietti to a Pinin Farina design.Today, the former Scaglietti works is owned by Ferrari and used to produce Ferrari's current line of aluminium bodied cars, including the 488 and F12, using both modern and traditional techniques. In 2002, a special edition of the 456, the 456M GT Scaglietti was named in honor of Scaglietti. This was followed by the 2004 introduction of the 612 Scaglietti, a 2+2 GT car produced until 2010. Despite names honoring Scaglietti, both the 456 and 612 were designed by Pininfarina.
Sergio Scaglietti died at his Modena home on 20 November 2011 at the age of 91.Carrozzeria Sports Cars
Carrozzeria Sports Cars was a niche carrozzeria in Modena, Italy, active in the 1960s. The company was founded by one-time Formula One driver, Piero Drogo, and it quickly began taking on small sports car and racing body orders from the manufacturers in that city. His bodies were used by Scuderia Serenissima and Bizzarrini, and his occasional work for Ferrari brought him some fame. Drogo and his Carrozzeria disappeared by the end of the decade.Notable designs:
Dino 206 SP
Dino 206 S
Ferrari 330 P2
Ferrari 330 P3
Ferrari 330 P4
Ferrari 250 P4 Thomassima II
Ferrari 250 GT SWB Breadvan 1962
Ferrari 250 Drogo Speciale
Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 The 'Navarro'
Maserati Tipo 151/3
De Sanctis SP1000
Iso Grifo A3C
Porsche 550 Spyder special
Aguzzoli Condor MK1Ferrari 250 GTO
The Ferrari 250 GTO is a GT car produced by Ferrari from 1962 to 1964 for homologation into the FIA's Group 3 Grand Touring Car category. It was powered by Ferrari's Tipo 168/62 Colombo V12 engine.
The "250" in its name denotes the displacement in cubic centimeters of each of its cylinders; "GTO" stands for Gran Turismo Omologata, Italian for "Grand Touring Homologated."
Just 36 of the 250 GTOs were manufactured between 1962 and 1964. This includes 33 cars with 1962-63 bodywork (Series I) and three with 1964 (Series II) bodywork similar to the Ferrari 250 LM. Four of the older 1962-1963 (Series I) cars were updated in 1964 with Series II bodies.
When new, the GTO cost $18,000 in the United States, with buyers personally approved by Enzo Ferrari and his dealer for North America, Luigi Chinetti. In October 2013, Connecticut-based collector Paul Pappalardo sold chassis number 5111GT to an unnamed buyer for a new record of around $52 million. In June 2018, the 1963 250 GTO set an all-time record selling price of $70 million.In 2004, Sports Car International placed the 250 GTO eighth on a list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s, and nominated it the top sports car of all time. Similarly, Motor Trend Classic placed the 250 GTO first on a list of the "Greatest Ferraris of All Time." Popular Mechanics named it the "Hottest Car of All Time."Ferrari 250 GT Lusso
The Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso is a GT car which was manufactured by Italian automaker Ferrari from 1963 to 1964. Sometimes known as the GTL, GT/L or just Lusso, it is larger and more luxurious than the 250 GT Berlinetta. The 250 GT Lusso, which was not intended to compete in sports car racing, is considered to be one of the most elegant Ferraris.Keeping in line with the Ferrari "tradition" of that time, the 250 GT Lusso was designed by the Turinese coachbuilder Pininfarina, and bodied by Carrozzeria Scaglietti. Although the interior was more spacious than that of the 250 GT, the 250 GT Lusso remained a two-seat GT coupe, unlike the 250 GTE. The car was manufactured for only eighteen months, from early 1963 to mid 1964, and was the last model of Ferrari 250 GT generation.
Auto shows often provide an opportunity for manufacturers to introduce new designs publicly. Ferrari did so at the 1962 Paris Motor Show to unveil, as a prototype, the 250 GT Lusso. The prototype was almost identical to the production version, and only minor details changed thereafter.The new model was a way for Ferrari to fill a void left between the sporty 250 GT SWB and the luxurious 250 GTE 2+2, the Lusso met the new demands of the 1960s. Indeed, fans of sporting driving of the time became as fond of civilized designs, that is, comfortable and spacious, as they were of radical sports cars. Ferrari did not skimp on details in the GTL, which shows on the scales; weight ranged from 1,020 to 1,310 kg (2,250 to 2,890 lb), depending on equipment.Unusually brief for a Ferrari model, GTL's production began January 1963 and ended August 1964. According to a longstanding American expert on Ferrari, Peter Coltrin, the construction of the 250 GT Lusso must have begun soon after the presentation of the prototype of the Paris Motor Show.Although it was not intended to compete, the 250 GT Lusso made a few appearances in several sporting events in 1964 and 1965, such as the Targa Florio and the Tour de France. The final iteration of the 250 GT series, 351 copies of GT Lusso were produced before being replaced by the Ferrari 275 GTB. (Note nomenclature change due to increase in engine cylinder capacity.) Originally sold for $13,375, the GTL saw sales in 2010 between $400,000 and $500,000, and in 2013 values approached 4 times this figure.Ferrari 250 GT SWB Breadvan
The Ferrari 250 GT SWB Breadvan is a one-off Ferrari made in 1962 from a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB, chassis number 2819 GT. It was built to compete against the new 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and other FIA World Sportscar Championship races.Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
The Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, or 250 TR, is a racing sports car built by Ferrari from 1957 to 1961. It was introduced at the end of the 1957 racing season in response to rule changes that enforced a maximum engine displacement of 3 liters for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and World Sports Car Championship races. The 250 TR was closely related to earlier Ferrari sports cars, sharing many key components with other 250 models and the 500 TR.The 250 TR achieved many racing successes, with variations winning 10 World Sports Car Championship races including the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1958, 1960, and 1961, the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1958, 1959 and 1961, the Targa Florio in 1958, the 1000 Km Buenos Aires in 1958 and 1960 and the Pescara 4 Hours in 1961. These results led to World Sports Car Championship constructor's titles for Ferrari in 1958, 1960 and 1961.Ferrari P
The Ferrari P was a series of Italian sports prototype racing cars produced by Ferrari during the 1960s and early 1970s.
Although Enzo Ferrari resisted the move even with Cooper dominating F1, Ferrari began producing mid-engined racing cars in 1960 with the Ferrari Dino-V6-engine Formula Two 156, which would later be turned into the Formula One-winner of 1961.
Sports car racers followed in 1963. Although these cars shared their numerical designations (based on engine displacement) with road models, they were almost entirely dissimilar. The first Ferrari mid-engine in a road car did not arrive until the 1967 Dino, and it was 1971 before a Ferrari 12-cylinder engine was placed behind a road-going driver in the 365 GT4 BB.Grand tourer
A grand tourer (GT) is a car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes. The most common format is a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
The term derives from the Italian language phrase gran turismo which became popular in the English language from the 1950s, evolving from fast touring cars and streamlined closed sports cars during the 1930s.Jean Guichet
Jean Guichet (born 10 August 1927 in Marseilles, France) is a French industrialist and former racing driver. He is most well known for winning the 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans with co-driver Nino Vaccarella, driving a Ferrari 275 P for Scuderia Ferrari. Guichet raced sports cars and rallied from 1948 through the late 1970s. He began his racing career as a self-funded independent driver but would later drive for teams including Scuderia Ferrari, the Abarth works team, Ecurie Filipinetti, Maranello Concessionaires, and NART.Guichet is also known as the first owner of 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO chassis number 5111GT, one of only 36 produced. He successfully raced this car, including an overall win of the 1963 Tour de France with co-driver Jose Behra. Following Guichet's sale of the car in 1965 and multiple subsequent ownership changes, this car was sold privately in September 2013 for $52,000,000 USD. This broke the then-current record for world's most expensive car.List of most expensive cars sold at auction
This is a list of the most expensive cars sold in auto auctions through the traditional bidding process, that of those that attracted headline grabbing publicity, mainly for the high price their new owners have paid.
August 2018 Ferrari 250 GTO (number 23) auctioned for $48.4 million.
June 2018: A 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO, known as the Holy Grail model, won the Tour de France in 1963, changed hands for a world record US$70 million (not auction). It is a 174 mph road-legal racing car and one of only 36 built between 1962 and 1964. It was purchased by an American businessman.
A 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, serial number 3413GT, sold at RM Sotheby's Auction on August 25, 2018 for US$48,405,000 (including buyer's premium). This broke the record previously held by another 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, serial number 3851GT, which sold for a then-record $38,115,000 (including buyer's premium) at Bonham's Quail Auction on August 14, 2014. While collectible cars have been sold privately for more, this is the highest price ever paid for a car at a public auction.The 1904 Rolls-Royce 10 hp Two-Seater is currently listed on the Guinness World Records as the most expensive veteran car to be sold, at the price of US$7,254,290 (equivalent to $8,765,000 in 2018), on a Bonhams auction held at Olympia in London on December 3, 2007.This list only consists of those that have been sold for at least $4 million in auction sales during a traditional bidding process, inclusive of the mandatory buyers premium and does not include private, unsuccessful (failing to reach its reserve price, incomplete) and out of auction sales.Lucien Bianchi
Lucien Bianchi (10 November 1934 – 30 March 1969), born Luciano Bianchi, was an Italian-Belgian racing driver who raced for the Cooper, ENB, UDT Laystall and Scuderia Centro Sud teams in Formula One. He entered a total of 19 Formula One World Championship races, scoring six points and had a best finish of third at the 1968 Monaco Grand Prix.
He died in a testing crash in preparation for the 1969 24 Hours of Le Mans.Medardo Fantuzzi
Medardo Fantuzzi (Bologna, 1906 - Modena, 1986) was an Italian automotive engineer, known for his Carrozzeria Fantuzzi body workshop.He and his brother, Gino Fantuzzi were famous for their affiliation with Maserati, where they got involved in building the Maserati A6 GCS (44 built 1953-5), Maserati 350S and Maserati 200S. Later, Medardo worked for Ferrari (until 1966), known for building the Pininfarina-penned Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Spyder Fantuzzi (1961); the workshop also did one-off Ferrari 250 GTE and a Ferrari 330.
Fantuzzi also built, in the early 1960s, an OSCA Barchetta 1500cc 372FS for one of their mechanics.
Medardo's Carrozzeria Fantuzzi designed the bodywork for the one-off Ferrari that Terence Stamp drove in Federico Fellini's "Spirits of the Dead" motion picture.
He also worked for De Tomaso, Scuderia Serenissima, AMS and Tecno. His son is Fiorenzo Fantuzzi of Modena. The body workshop is still in existence.Tour de France Automobile
Tour de France Automobile was a sports car race held on roads around France regularly –mostly annually– between 1899 and 1986.
The first edition was held in 1899 at speeds of 30 mph (50 km/h). The first event was won by René de Knyff driving a Panhard et Levassor. Organized by Le Matin, under the control of the Automobile Club de France, held July 16 to 24, in seven stages: Paris-Nancy; Nancy-Aix-les-Bains; Aix-les-Bains-Vichy; Vichy-Périgueux; Périgueux-Nantes; Nantes-Cabourg; Cabourg-Paris. Out of 49 starters, 21 vehicles finished. The 1908 event was won by Clément-Bayard.The competition is reborn in 1951, thanks to Automobile Club de Nice and the event was won by Pagnibon-Barracquet in a 2.6-litre Ferrari. The event visited La Turbie Hill Climb, near Nice. In 1954 the event was won by the 2.5 litre Gordini of Jacques Pollet and M. Gauthier, running on the traditional Nice to Nice route. The 1956 event was won by de Portago/Nelson in a Ferrari 250 2.9 with Moss/Houel (Mercedes 300 SL) in second place.The 1960 Tour de France took place between September 15 and 23 that year. Starting at Nice it visited Mont Ventoux, Nurburgring, Spa, Montlhéry, Rouen and Le Mans with the finish at Clermont Ferrand. The event was won overall by the Ferrari 250 G.T. of Willy Mairesse/Georges Berger. The Jaguar 3.8 litre Mk. II of Bernard Consten/J. Renel won the Touring category with the BMW 700 coupé of Metternich/Hohenlohe winning the Index of Performance.The 1964 event was won by Lucien Bianchi/Georges Berger in a Ferrari GTO, entered by Ecurie Nationale Belge. The event started at Lille, visiting Reims, Rouen, Le Mans, Clermont-Ferrand, Monza and Pau. The Touring car category was won by Peter Procter/Andrew Cowan in a Ford Mustang, entered by Alan Mann Racing. The A.C. Shelby Cobras of Maurice Trintignant, Bob Bondurant and André Simon all retired.
The 1980s saw the event incorporated into the European Rally Championship which saw an influx of new competitors. The last event was held in 1986. Also known as Tour Auto, it was revived in 1992 for historic cars, with both a competition and a regularity class. The format is a 5-day event combining about 2,500 km of roads, 4 or 5 circuit races and 6 to 8 hillclimbs. Patrick Peter of Agence Peter is the organiser. The start of the International event with some 300 entrants is in Paris; the finish alternates between various cities like Cannes, St. Tropez and Biarritz.
The winning cars over the years (since 1996 only pre '66 cars can win overall, even though cars up to 1974 are allowed): Ford Shelby Mustang 350GT, Ford GT40, AC Cobra 289, Lotus Elan, Ferrari Daytona Gr IV.
Ferrari road car timeline, 1947–1969 — next »
|Sports||275 S||340 Mexico/MM||375 MM||375 Plus||410 S|
|125 S||166 S/
||195 S||212 Export||225 S||250 MM||250 Monza||315 S||250 Testa Rossa||250 LM|
|159 S||250 S||290 MM||335 S||250 GTO|
|Berlinetta||250 GT "Tour de France"||250 GT "SWB"||250 GT Lusso||275 GTB||275 GTB/4||365 |
|Coupé||166 Inter||195 Inter||212 Inter||250 Europa||250 Europa GT||250 GT Boano||250 GT Ellena||250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina||330 GTC||365 GTC|
|2+2||250 GT/E||330 GT 2+2||365 GT 2+2|
|Spider||250 GT Cabriolet||275 GTS||330 GTS||365 GTS|
|250 GT California Spyder|
|America||340/342 America||375 America||410 Superamerica||400 Superamerica||500 Superfast||365 California|
|Ferrari Driver Academy|
|Formula One cars|
|Sports racing cars|