Fatehpur is a city and a municipal board in Fatehpur district in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. The city between two holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, was founded by Rishi Purwar and later on he became the King of city .
Location in Uttar Pradesh, India
|Elevation||110 m (360 ft)|
|• Rank||245th (in India)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Fatehpur is located at  This district is situated between two important cities Allahabad and Kanpur of Uttar Pradesh. It is well connected with those cities by train route as well as bus route. The distance from Allahabad is 117 km and 76 km from Kanpur. It lies in fertile land also known as 'Doaba' between Ganges and Yamuna. National High-way 2(NH-2) goes through the city.it is the junction for going to BANDA, Allahabad, Kanpur and Raebareli. . It has an average elevation of 110 metres (360 feet).
The known history of Fatehpur is as old as the Vedic era. Cunnigham has written about "Bhitaura" and "Asani" places of this district, while discussing about the residuals of the Vedic era . There are proofs that Chinese traveller Huen Tsang visited the Asani place of this district.
In village Renh, which is 25 km south-west of Fatehpur town, some articles of archeological interest have been found which are of time 800 BC. Many articles like coins, bricks, idols etc. of Maurya period, Kusan period and Gupta period have been found throughout the ., which are very important from the archeological point of view. Golden coins of period of Chandragupta II have been recovered from village Bijauli. The bricks used in fort of Asani are also of Gupta Period. The Khajuha town, situated on Mughal road is very old town. Its description has been found in old Hindu scripture "Brahma Purana", which is 5000 years old. In 1561 AD, Moghal emperor Humayun passed through this town while invading Jaunpur state. On January 5, 1659, Moghal emperor Aurangzeb had a fierce battle with his brother prince Shahshuja, and killed him near this place. To celebrate the victory, he constructed a large beautiful garden "Badshahi Bagh" and a big lodge having 130 rooms.
During Moghul regime, the control of Fatehpur shifted time to time to the hands of Jaunpur, Delhi and Kannauj. In 1801, this region came under control of East India Company, and in 1814 this was given the status of a sub-division (Paragana), while the headquarters was at Bhitaura, which is now a block office. In 1826, the Fatehpur was redesignated as a district headquarters.
As of 2011 census, Fatehpur had a population of 193,801, out of which males were 101,620 and females were 92,181. The literacy rate was 77.69 per cent.
Template:Khanquah wahidiya Nizamiya Chishtiya