The Farragut-class destroyer was a group of 10 guided missile destroyers built for the United States Navy (USN) during the 1950s. They were the second destroyer class to be named for Admiral David Farragut. The class is sometimes referred to as the Coontz class, since Coontz was first to be designed and built as a guided missile ship, whereas the previous three ships were designed as all-gun units and converted later. The class was originally envisioned as a Destroyer Leader class (DL/DLG, verbally referred to as "Frigates"), but was reclassified as Guided Missile Destroyers following the 1975 ship reclassification.
USS Farragut (DDG-37)
|Operators:||United States Navy|
|Preceded by:||Forrest Sherman class|
|Succeeded by:||Charles F. Adams class (as Destroyer) Leahy class (as Destroyer Leader)|
|Length:||512 ft 6 in (156.2 m)|
|Beam:||52 ft 4 in (16.0 m)|
|Draft:||17 ft 9 in (5.4 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 shafts, 2 geared steam turbines|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph) (design)|
|Range:||5,000 nautical miles (9,300 km; 5,800 mi) at 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
|Complement:||23 officers, 337 enlisted men|
|Sensors and |
The Farragut class was the first class of missile-armed carrier escorts to be built as such for the USN. The ships had an overall length of 512 feet 6 inches (156.2 m), a beam of 52 feet 4 inches (16.0 m) and a deep draft of 17 feet 9 inches (5.4 m). They displaced 5,648 long tons (5,739 t) at full load. Their crew consisted of 23 officers and 337 enlisted men.
The ships were equipped with two geared steam turbines, each driving one propeller shaft, using steam provided by 4 water-tube boilers. The turbines were intended to produce 85,000 shaft horsepower (63,000 kW) to reach the designed speed of 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph). The Farragut class had a range of 5,000 nautical miles (9,300 km; 5,800 mi) at a speed of 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph).
The Farragut-class ships were armed with a 5"/54 caliber Mark 42 gun forward and two twin mounts for 3"/50 caliber guns, one on each broadside amidships. They were fitted with an eight-round ASROC launcher between the 5-inch (127 mm) gun and the bridge. The Farragut (DDG-37) was the only ship of her class that had an ASROC magazine mounted behind the launcher. The class was already top-heavy and the addition of the magazine reportedly made it worse, so the decision was made not to equip the other nine ships with magazines. Close-range anti-submarine defense was provided by two triple 12.75-inch (324 mm) Mk 32 torpedo tubes. The primary armament of the Farraguts was the Terrier anti-aircraft missile designed to defend the carrier battle group. They were fired via the dual-arm Mark 10 launcher and the ships stowed a total of 40 missiles for the launcher.
|Farragut||DDG-37/DL-6||Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Fore River Shipyard||3 June 1957||18 July 1958||10 December 1960||31 October 1989||Struck 20 November 1992, sold for scrap|
|Luce||DDG-38/DL-7||1 October 1957||11 December 1958||20 May 1961||1 April 1991|
|Macdonough||DDG-39/DL-8||15 April 1958||9 July 1959||4 November 1961||23 October 1992||Struck 30 November 1992, sold for scrap|
|Coontz||DDG-40/DLG-9||Puget Sound Naval Shipyard||1 March 1957||6 December 1958||15 July 1960||2 October 1989||Struck 7 January 1990, sold for scrap|
|King||DDG-41/DLG-10||1 March 1957||6 December 1958||17 November 1960||28 March 1991||Struck 20 November 1992, sold for scrap|
|Mahan||DDG-42/DLG-11||San Francisco Naval Shipyard||31 July 1957||7 October 1959||25 December 1960||15 June 1993||Struck 15 June 1993, sold for scrap|
|Dahlgren||DDG-43/DLG-12||Philadelphia Naval Shipyard||1 March 1958||16 March 1960||8 April 1961||31 July 1992||Struck 20 November 1992, sold for scrap|
|William V. Pratt||DDG-44/DLG-13||1 March 1958||6 March 1960||4 November 1961||30 September 1991|
|Dewey||DDG-45/DLG-14||Bath Iron Works||10 August 1957||30 November 1958||7 December 1959||31 August 1990|
|Preble||DDG-46/DLG-15||16 December 1957||23 May 1959||9 May 1960||15 November 1991|
Originally commissioned as guided missile frigates (DLG), they were redesignated as guided missile destroyers (DDG) under the fleet realignment in 1975. They were also the only redesignated ships to be renumbered as well under the realignment, with the first unit changing from DLG-6 to DDG-37 and all subsequent vessels being renumbered upwards in order. During various refits all ships had their two 3" gun mounts removed and replaced by two quad Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers and their fire control and search radars upgraded to handle SM-2 ER missiles. All ships of the class were decommissioned between 1989 and 1994 and subsequently scrapped.
The 600-ship Navy was a strategic plan of the United States Navy during the 1980s to rebuild its fleet after cutbacks that followed the end of the Vietnam War. The plan, which originated with Republican leaders, was an important campaign plank of Ronald Reagan in the 1980 presidential election, who advocated a larger military and strategic confrontation with the Soviet Union.
The actual number of ships peaked at 594 in 1987, before declining sharply after the end of the Cold War in 1989–1991.The program included:
Recommissioning the Iowa-class battleships
Keeping older ships in service longer
A large new construction program
Stepped up production of Nimitz-class aircraft carriersThe idea was supported by John F. Lehman, who became Reagan's Secretary of the Navy, and Caspar Weinberger, Reagan's Secretary of Defense.Farragut-class destroyer
Two classes of destroyer of the United States Navy are known as the Farragut class:
Farragut-class destroyer (1934) is a class of 8 ships launched in 1934–1935
Farragut-class destroyer (1958) is a class of 10 ships launched in 1958–1960Farragut-class destroyer (1934)
The Farragut-class destroyers were a class of eight 1,365-ton destroyers in the United States Navy and the first US destroyers of post-World War I design. Their construction, along with the Porter class, was authorized by Congress on 29 April 1916, but funding was delayed considerably. Limited to 1,500 tons standard displacement by the provisions of the London Naval Treaty of 1930, the ships were laid down beginning in 1932 and were completed by 1935. After 12 years since the last of the previous class of American destroyers (the Clemson class) was commissioned, the Farraguts were commissioned in 1934 and 1935.
These ships were slightly larger than their predecessors, faster, and they had only two stacks, versus the four stacks common to all the earlier classes. The class was the first of six classes of 1,500-ton destroyers built in the 1930s to modernize the United States Navy, and all eight Farraguts saw extensive front-line service during World War II. None were lost in battle, although only five survived the war. After numerous incremental improvements, the 1,500-tonners were succeeded by the 2,100-ton Fletcher class, which was not subject to treaty restrictions.New Threat Upgrade
New Threat Upgrade (NTU) was a United States Navy program to improve and modernize the capability of existing cruisers and destroyers equipped with Terrier and Tartar anti-aircraft systems, keeping them in service longer. It was a key component of then-President Ronald Reagan's 600-ship Navy plan.