A fanlight is a window, often semicircular or semi-elliptical in shape, with glazing bars or tracery sets radiating out like an open fan. It is placed over another window or a doorway, and is sometimes hinged to a transom. The bars in the fixed glazed window spread out in the manner of a sunburst. It is also called a "sunburst light".
Abbeville is a small country house in the townland of Abbeville in County Tipperary. It is set in relict parkland.
It is a three-bay, three-storey house with one-storey flanking wing walls to either side, built c. 1840, and with an earlier, possibly 17th century, three-bay, three-storey rear wing. The fenestration of the main front is composed of elaborate tripartite windows with carved pilasters, except for the central bay, where there are double round-headed windows over the doorcase. The front door is flanked by engaged clustered columns and has an elaborate cobweb fanlight above. The datestone "1773" does not seem to relate to any part of the present building, but may indicate a previous phase of building activity. There are substantial ranges of limestone outbuildings to the south-east including one range with segmental and depressed-arch carriage arches. Abbeville was the seat of the Hemsworth family from the early 18th century until c1890, when Thomas Gerard Hemsworth sold up and emigrated to Canada. Some land was sold to the Dawson family through the Encumbered Estates Court c1850, but the Hemsworths still had 387 acres (1.6 km2) in c.1870. The Killeens bought the entire estate from the Hemsworths in about c.1900, and ever since, the house is still currently owned by the Killeen family. The park retains the remains of a canal to the north. This is a fine example of a typical country house in Ireland and it is currently being re-established and extended to its former glory. The property is listed on North Tipperary County Council’s record of protected structures and on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.Anchovy railway station
Anchovy railway station opened in c1894 and closed in 1992. It served the small town of Anchovy, Jamaica on the Kingston to Montego Bay line and was 105.75 miles (170.19 km) from the Kingston terminus.It was built around 1894 of timber in the Jamaican Georgian architectural style. It has two floors. The ground floor has timber doors and sash windows. The upper floor is partially cantilevered and is supported by a series of timber posts on the ground floor to form a canopy over the platform and front elevation. The upper floor has a mixture of sash and louvred windows as well as recessed panel timber doors. The roof of the structure is a T-shaped gable end zinc roof with a semi-circular fanlight on either side of a double gable end section of the roof.In 2003 it was reported as being in "very poor condition" and "in need of major repairs".It is on the list of designated National Heritage Sites in Jamaica.Fanlight, West Virginia
Fanlight was an unincorporated community in Wetzel County, West Virginia. The Post Office no longer existsFanlight Fanny
"Fanlight Fanny" is a song written in 1935 by George Formby, Harry Gifford and Frederick E. Cliffe, and recorded by Formby in May that year. Another notable version was released in 1962 by Clinton Ford.Federal Hill (Fredericksburg, Virginia)
Federal Hill is a historic home located at Fredericksburg, Virginia. It was built about 1794, and is a 2 1⁄2-story, brick and frame dwelling sheathed in weatherboard, with a two-story frame wing. It has a gable roof with dormers. The front facade has a central pedimented pavilion and recessed fanlight door. The large ballroom and elaborate dining room are distinctive for their mixing of late colonial and Federal detailing. Federal Hill was probably built by Robert Brooke (1761–1800), governor of Virginia from 1794 to 1796.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.Gilman Coggin House
The Gilman Coggin House is a historic house at 123 Prescott Street in Reading, Massachusetts. The 2.5 story wood frame house is a fine well preserved local example of Greek Revival architecture. It was built in 1847 by Gilman Coggin, owner of a local shoe manufacturing business. The house's front gable is fully pedimented, supported by wide corner pilasters. A single story wraparound porch has square Ionic columns, and the front door surround is flanked by half-length sidelight windows and topped by a fanlight transom.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Grove House, Manchester
Grove House, in Oxford Road, Chorlton-on-Medlock, Manchester, is an early Victorian building, originally three houses, of 1838–40. It is a Grade II* listed building as of 18 December 1963.Pevsner described it as "a large detached house set back from the street." The house is of "scored stucco on brick with a hipped slate roof. It has a round-headed central doorway with keystone and a fanlight with slender radiating tracery." It was first occupied by the university ca. 1952. and has had various uses since then, including as a student health centre.Halse Hall
Halse Hall is a plantation great house in Clarendon, Jamaica.
During the Spanish occupation of Jamaica the estate was known as "Hato de Buena Vista". In 1655, following the English capture of Jamaica the site was given to Major Thomas Halse who came from Barbados with Penn and Venables. Here he raised hogs, grazed cattle and built Halse Hall. The house had thick walls and served as the centre of the estate and a rallying point for defence. At the time of Thomas Halse death in 1702, the Great House was just a single-storey building. By the late 1740s the building was owned by his son, Francis Saddler Halse, who developed the property into a more imposing and beautiful two-storey structure. A new entrance was erected, accessed by an elaborate arrangement of stone steps flanked by columns and capped with a fanlight. A peaked portico was added later.The Halse Hall Burial-Ground contains a tomb of the Halse family— Major Thomas Halse (d. 1702) and Thomas Halse (d. 1727).The property belonged to Henry De la Beche who stayed there during 1823–24, while he made his geological survey of Jamaica. His Notes on the present condition of the negroes in Jamaica was based on his experiences on the estate. In December 1835 the estate was owned by the Hibbert family who received £3,523 11s 9d compensation when the 172 enslaved Africans were emancipated.
In 1969 it was purchased by Alcoa Minerals of Jamaica who added another wing. Halse Hall is the oldest English building in Jamaica which is still used as a residence.House at 22 Parker Road
The House at 22 Parker Road is one of a few high style Colonial Revival houses in Wakefield, Massachusetts. The 2.5 story wood frame house is estimated to have been built in the 1880s. It has a hip roof, corner pilasters, and gable end dormers, the center one having a swans-neck design. The main facade is divided into three sections: the leftmost has a rounded bay with three windows on each level, and the right section has a Palladian window configuration on the first floor, and a pair of windows on the second. The central section has the front door, sheltered by a porch that wraps around to the right side, flanked by sidelights and topped by a fanlight. Above the front door is a porch door flanked by wide windows and topped by a half-round window with Gothic style insets.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.Lewis House (Reading, Massachusetts)
The Lewis House is a historic house at 276 Woburn Street in Reading, Massachusetts. The 2.5 story wood frame house was built in the late 1870s by John Lewis, a successful shoe dealer. The house is three bays wide, with a hipped roof with a single gable dormer. The roof has extended eaves with false rafter ends that are actually lengthened modillion blocks; these features give the house a Colonial Revival feel. The corner boards are pilastered, and the front entry is flanked by half-length sidelight windows and topped by a pedimented lintel, above which is a round fanlight window.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.List of heritage sites in Victoria West
This is a list of the heritage sites in Victoria West as recognised by the South African Heritage Resources Agency.Listed buildings in Altrincham
Altrincham is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, Greater Manchester, England. The town, together with the adjacent areas of Broadheath and Timperley, contains 51 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, one is listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade.
Altrincham originated as a market town. The Bridgewater Canal was built passing through the Broadheath area in 1765, and the railway arrived in 1849. During the 19th century the town grew as a commercial centre, and as a commuter town for Manchester. The oldest listed building dates from the middle of the 18th century, and most date from the early and middle 19th century. The majority of listed buildings are houses and associated structures, and commercial and civic buildings. Some industry arose adjacent to the Bridgewater Canal, but the only listed buildings surviving from this are a warehouse and the office building of a former factory. A bridge crossing the canal is also listed. The other listed buildings include churches and a vicarage, public houses, a boundary stone, a clock tower, and a war memorial.Listed buildings in Clitheroe
Clitheroe is a civil parish in Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It contains 117 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, one is listed at Grade I, the highest of the three grades, one is at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade.
Following the Norman Conquest, Clitheroe was of military importance, and the castle was built in the late 11th or early 12th century. The town gained its first charter in 1177. During the next centuries it was a market town and administrative centre, and its major industries were agriculture, quarrying and lime burning. By the 19th century it had become a centre of cotton and calico printing, but that industry declined during the 20th century.Most of the listed buildings are houses with associated structures and shops. The remains of the castle are listed at Grade I, and St Mary Magdalene's Church is listed at Grade II*. The other listed buildings include another church, schools, public houses, civic buildings, a museum, a library, a bridge, a former pinnacle moved from the Houses of Parliament, the three wells that formerly served the town, a war memorial, and a telephone kiosk.Listed buildings in Droylsden
Droylsden is a town in Tameside, Greater Manchester, England. The town, together with its suburb of Littlemoss, contains 37 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, three are listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade.
Originally a rural and farming community, linen bleaching and weaving came to the area in the mid 18th century. Then in 1785, members of the Moravian Church came to the area, and established the community of the Fairfield Moravian Church. Many of the buildings associated with this community are listed, together with farmhouses and farm buildings from the earlier era. The Ashton Canal passes through the area, and a lock, a bridge, and other buildings associated with it are listed. The other listed buildings include a church, a former toll house, and a school.Listed buildings in Preston, Lancashire
Preston is a city in Lancashire, England, that contains about 340 listed buildings. Its recorded history goes back to the Roman era, and in the medieval period it was a market town and a port, its first charter being granted in 1179. The city stands at the lowest crossing point of the River Ribble, which has given it great strategic importance. From the 16th century it was a centre for the spinning and weaving industries, and its greatest growth came from the 1770s with the development of steam power. By 1835 (when it was still a town) it contained 40 factories, and this had grown to 77 factories in 1869. Its population rose from about 12,000 in 1801 to about 69,000 in 1851, and one reflection of this was and this resulted in poor housing and social conditions. As a consequence of this there was fear of riots and other disturbances from the Chartists, the response to this being the building of Fulwood Barracks in the 1840s. There was much church building in the 19th century, including a number of notable Roman Catholic churches, reflecting the importance of Catholicism in the town and area. Later in the century and in the early 20th century the rise of civic pride and prosperity resulted in a number of notable civic buildings, particularly Fulwood Barracks. During the 20th century there was much clearing of slum properties, and of many other older buildings. The port closed in the 1980s. Few of the 20th-century buildings have been listed, with the exception of the Central bus station and car park, which was opened in 1969 and had been threatened with demolition.In the unparished area of Preston, there are about 340 buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England as designated listed buildings. Of these, three are listed at Grade I, eleven at Grade II*, and the rest at Grade II (for the criteria of these grades see the Key below). Despite the long history of the town, only three of the listed buildings have their origins before the 17th century, and only about 25 date from the 18th century. The great majority date from the 19th century, reflecting the growth of the cotton industry in the town at that time, with cotton mills, housing for their workers, and churches for their worship. Many of the houses from the earlier part of the century are Georgian in style, and most of these are located to the south of the main streets of the town, Church Street and Fishergate. Later in the century public parks were created, and a number of listed buildings are associated with them. Later still, the great civic buildings were built, mainly in the centre of the town around Market Place.Listed buildings in The Gorge
The Gorge is a civil parish in the district of Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire, England. It contains 215 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, two are listed at Grade I, the highest of the three grades, 13 are at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The River Severn runs through the parish and, together with a tributary running from the north, form Ironbridge Gorge, which contains the town of Ironbridge, and the villages of Coalbrookdale, Coalport and part of Jackfield.
Until the coming of the Industrial Revolution the parish was rural, and the listed buildings from this period consist of timber framed houses and cottages. In 1708 Abraham Darby I moved to Coalbrookdale and took over an disused blast furnace. He developed this into The Old Furnace in which he smelted iron with coke for the first time in the world in 1709. From this, Coalbrookdale Ironworks developed and a number of buildings associated with it are listed. The iron for The Iron Bridge at Ironbridge, the first major bridge in the world to be built from cast iron in 1777–80, was smelted at Coalbrookdale, to be followed soon by Coalport Bridge in 1780; both bridges are listed. These bridges and some of the surviving strictures associated with the early iron industry are also Scheduled Monuments.
Following the construction of The Old Bridge, the town of Ironbridge grew, and many of the listed buildings in the town are houses, shops and other buildings constructed in the late 18th century and the early 19th century. Apart from structures associated with the iron industry, houses, cottages, and shops, the other listed buildings in the parish include public houses and hotels, churches, chapels and schools, structures associated with the wharf at Ironbridge, toll houses, Coalport China works, public buildings, a burial ground, warehouses, more bridges, level crossing gates, a former workhouse, lamp posts, a war memorial, and a telephone kiosk.The Lexington
The Lexington, also known as Lexington Apartments, is a historic building located in Des Moines, Iowa, United States. The five-story brick structure on a raised basement was completed in 1908 as the city's first high-rise apartment building. It was designed and built by local architect-builder Fred Weitz. The exterior features a Colonial Revival style entrance with a recessed door, arched fanlight, and engaged Doric style
columns that support the pediment. Wrought iron balconies are located on the two floors above the entrance. On the interior there are two apartments on every floor, and they originally featured servant's quarters. They have subsequently been converted into other purposes. The upper floors are served by a large, open-cage brass elevator. The building purportedly had paranormal activity involving its elevator. It was renovated between 2012 and 2014. It was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The building was included as a contributing property in the Sherman Hill Historic District in 1979.
It is currently owned by the Allen Family Trust.Transom (architectural)
Should, by chance or by bad luck, the hangings break, I would only face death.
In architecture, a transom is a transverse horizontal structural beam or bar, or a crosspiece separating a door from a window above it. This contrasts with a mullion, a vertical structural member. Transom or transom window is also the customary U.S. word used for a transom light, the window over this crosspiece. In Britain, the transom light is usually referred to as a fanlight, often with a semi-circular shape, especially when the window is segmented like the slats of a folding hand fan. A well-known example of this is at the main entrance of 10 Downing Street, London.Trouble Brewing (1939 film)
Trouble Brewing is a 1939 British comedy film directed by Anthony Kimmins and starring George Formby, Googie Withers and Gus McNaughton. It was made by Associated Talking Pictures, and includes the songs "Fanlight Fanny" and "Hitting the Highspots Now". The film is based on a novel by Joan Butler, and the sets were designed by art director Wilfred Shingleton.