|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Evington is an Electoral ward and administrative division of the city of Leicester, England. It used to be a small village centred on Main Street and the Anglican church of St Denys but was close enough to Leicester to become one of the outer suburbs in the 1930s. Today, the ward comprises the historical village of Evington, as well as the modern ex-council estates of Rowlatts Hill and Goodwood. The population of the ward at the 2011 census was 11,133.
The name Evington comes from the Anglo-Saxon name Aefa's Tun. After the Norman conquest the land was given to Hugh de Grentesmesnil. The first known spelling Evington was of Walter de Evington 1259 who leased a carucate of land at the village of Evington – about 100 acres (0.40 km2). The parish of Evington was originally quite large and included the areas now known as North Evington and Evington Valley. These were annexed by the borough of Leicester in 1892, and are not generally considered part of Evington.
In 1935, the boundaries of Leicester (by this point a city), were expanded again, including nearly all of the remaining parish of Evington, except for a small part which went to Oadby. The modern ward does include the large 1950s development based at Downing Drive and Spencefield Lane.
Rowlatts Hill is a council estate established on a hillside to the north of Leicester General Hospital in 1964–67 by the City Architect Stephen George with two 22-story blocks of flats and single or two-storey houses of grey brick. A later development (1973–77) is of red brick houses. For council housing purposes it is considered separate from Evington.
Evington Village Green is a triangle of land bounded to the north by Main Street, on the Southwest by High Street and to the east by Church Street. The village war memorial is located on the northeast corner. On the west corner is a Baptist Chapel and a building called the Manse. It is largely open space for recreation, with a large old oak tree in the south-east corner. It also features a newly refurbished children's playground, funded by the Friends of Evington Village Green. It is the site of the Evington Village Fete and Show, held annually.
Evington park is some 44 acres (0.18 km2) of public parkland, opened in 1948, formerly the estate of Evington House (built 1836) which is used as offices and some public amenities. It contains many mature trees, including a Mulberry dating from about the same time as the house. There are public exercise machines as well as tennis courts, football and cricket pitches and bowling greens. More recently, a concrete table tennis table has been added and is situated near the tennis courts. Public toilets have also been built near the courts.
This was established as a public amenity in 1970 and consists of an area south of St Denys Church, bounded on the west by a golf course, with more than 500 trees largely planted in taxonomic groups. In the northmost area, many individual trees are planted by arrangement with the council as memorials to people who have died.
This is Scheduled monument (SM17026), often known as 'Piggy's Hollow', consisting of the remains of the moats of a manor house built in the late 13th century by John de Grey. It is on the north side of the Arboretum and adjacent to St Denys Church on the west.
The Church of England church of St Denys has been the parish church for almost 800 years, having been dedicated on 9 October 1219 by the Bishop of Lincoln. It is a Grade II* listed building. The tower and spire are original: the South and North Aisles date from the 14th century, and the Chancel from the 19th century. Its rare ring of 4 bells was augmented to six following an appeal in the late 1980s. The interior includes 3 stained glass windows from 1870.
Evington has two main shopping centres: the first largely based in a modern development near the old village and including the local library, and the second towards the northern end of Downing Drive. Public houses include the Cedars in the old village and the Dove in Downing Drive. The Village Hall is a brick building on Church Lane, opposite St Denys: its foundation stone calls it King George V Hall and is dated MDCDXII (1912).
Evington is home to the Leicestershire Golf Club, on the south of the village, and west of the arboretum.
The Evington Echo is the community newspaper. It is produced by volunteers and is delivered free of charge to 5,800 houses in the area. It was first published in 1981 and the current (2013) editor is Helen Pettman.
Primary schools: Linden Primary School, Mayflower Primary School, Evington Valley Primary School, Whitehall Primary School, Oaklands (Special School), Coleman Primary School, Krishna Avanti Primary School, Leicester.
Independent schools: Leicester Grammar School.
Evington Hall is a Grade II listed building (built about 1840) which in the past was a convent school, then part of Leicester Junior Grammar School, but is now part of a Hindu faith school which opened in September 2011.
Evington is connected to other parts of Leicester by the following bus services:
Arriva Fox County services 53/53A, 56/56A
Centrebus Services 10, 11, 22, 40, 54A, 81 and 747,
Coachmaster Service 36
First Leicester Services 22, 38/38A and 54.
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Carter||708||9%|
|Liberal Democrat||Chris Garner||506||7%|
|Unity for Peace and Socialism||Mohinder Singh Farma||283||4%|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
Evington was the home of England Football international Emile Heskey. Both Emile Heskey and Gary Lineker (Winner of the Golden Boot) attended the City of Leicester College in Evington, as did former Labour media advisor Alastair Campbell and Dr Nicholas Shepherd (Co-founder of the internet). Heskey and Shepherd were both pupils at Linden Primary school in Evington. What is now the Cedars public house and restaurant on the corner of Main Street and School Lane was formerly the home of novelist E. Phillips Oppenheim.
The 2015 Leicester City Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Leicester City Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections, the 2015 general election and the election for the directly elected Mayor of Leicester.2019 Leicester City Council election
The 2019 Leicester City Council election took place on 2 May 2019 to elect all fifty-four members of the Leicester City Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections, and the election for the directly elected Mayor of Leicester.City of Leicester College
The City of Leicester College is a mixed secondary school for ages 11–18 in Evington, Leicester, England. It has around 2,000 pupils and specialises in business and enterprise.Coleman, Leicester
Coleman is an electoral ward and administrative division of the city of Leicester, England, consisting of the Leicester suburbs of Crown Hills and North Evington.Elmsted
Elmsted is a village and civil parish in the Folkestone and Hythe District of Kent, England. It is located west of Stone Street (the B2068), the Roman road which today takes traffic between Canterbury and Lympne. Within the parish are the settlements of Bodsham, North Leigh and Evington. There are six elected members of the Parish Council.The parishes name, Elmsted, is formed of two words. Elm refers to the large number of Elm trees that grew there in Saxon times. The second part, sted, comes from the Saxon word stede meaning 'place'.Evington, Virginia
Evington is an unincorporated community in Campbell County, Virginia, United States. Evington is located along Virginia State Route 24, west of U.S. Highway 29, southwest of Lynchburg.
Caryswood was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.Evington Valley
Evington Valley is an area in Leicester, England. It is roughly bounded by East Park Road to the west (west of which is Highfields), Chesterfield/Ethel Road to the north (north of which is North Evington), Wakerly Road to the east (east of which is Evington village) and to the south borders Stoneygate. The population of the area falls within the Evington ward of Leicester City Council.Judgemeadow Community College
Judgemeadow Community College is a mixed academy secondary school, located in the Evington area of Leicester in the English county of Leicestershire.
In 2017/18, the school became an academy. The school is administered as part of an MAT (Multi-Academy Trust) by the Lionheart Academies Trust. Leicester City Council coordinates admissions to the school. The school moved into a new building on the same site in June 2009 as part of the Building Schools for the Future programme.
With a student population of 1202, Judgemeadow Community College has a larger number of pupils than average in the UK. With only 45.3% girls against 54.7% boys, the school has slightly more males than females. Schools maintain a record of attendance through a series of registration sessions at the beginning and end of the school day. They have a 94.5% rate of pupils regularly attending, which is around average. With 73 members of staff, Judgemeadow Community College is well-staffed, with an ample number of teachers. Having a higher-than-average 16:1 teacher/pupil ratio, this school has a large number of pupils in this local authority.
The government considers 5 good GCSE grades at grade A-C as a successful achievement for a pupil at KS4. An average GCSE (KS4) score of 39.7 is a little above the normal result for the school. The average full-time teacher`s salary for the school is £40342, which is higher than the nationwide average. Only 57.2% of pupils speak English as a 1st language in Judgemeadow Community College, a proportion much lower than the country's average figure.
As a state comprehensive school within the East Midlands, Judgemeadow academically performs above average compared to national statistics,
Progress 8 score
Leicester City average: -0.01
National average: 0
Attainment 8 score
Leicester City average: 42.4
National average: 44.2
Students achieving a strong pass (grade 5) in English and Maths
Leicester City average: 34.7%
National average: 39.1%
Students achieving the EBacc
Leicester City average: 14.8%
National average: 19.5%
Students staying in education or employment
Leicester City average: 90%
National average: 94%
Judgemeadow Community College offers GCSEs, BTECs and ASDAN qualifications as programmes of study for pupils.Krishna Avanti Primary School, Leicester
Krishna Avanti Primary School, Leicester is a Hindu faith primary school in Leicester, United Kingdom that is part of the Avanti Schools Trust. It was the first state-funded Hindu school in Leicester. The school is open to students of Hindu background, but half (50%) of places available in the school are also reserved for local students of various faith backgrounds. The school is based at Evington Hall, a Grade II listed building, built about 1840, which in the past was a convent school, then part of Leicester Junior Grammar School.Leicester General Hospital
Leicester General Hospital (LGH) is a National Health Service hospital located in the suburb of Evington, about three miles east of Leicester City Centre, and is a part of University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. It has approximately 430 beds. The hospital is the largest employer in the area.List of places in Leicestershire
Map of places in Leicestershire compiled from this list
See the list of places in England for places in other counties.
This is a list of cities, towns and villages within the ceremonial county boundaries of Leicestershire, England.List of schools in Leicester
This is a list of schools in Leicester, England.Madani Schools Federation
Madani Schools Federation is a Muslim secondary school in Leicester, England. Based in the Evington neighbourhood, Madani Schools Federation caters for the city's Muslim population, with 300 places for boys and girls each. The building itself, designed by Leicester firm Pick Everard with an Islamic design including an Arabic-style courtyard. There is also an associated community centre and madrassa.
The school has also won architectural awards including the Community Benefit award in the regional finals of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors awards in May 2008 and competed in the international finals in the autumn. It is the first state funded Muslim school in the East-Midlands, as 90% of the £18m came from the government, with the Muslim community in Leicester raising the rest. The school has received much press attention as a Muslim secondary school where it is held up as a model for faith schools.North Evington
North Evington is an area of the city of Leicester, England which is an inclusion of Highfields. It is in the east of the city, south of the Uppingham Road, between Spinney Hills (in which ward the population is included) to the west and Crown Hills to the east. To the north of it is New Humberstone, and to the south is Evington Valley.
The development was originally in the parish of Evington, disconnected from the village itself. The areas in between have been infilled later on. It has been absorbed by the urban district of Highfields which is predominantly a working class area with rows of Victorian terraces to satisfy the needs of workers.
The area was designed and constructed as a suburb, by Arthur Wakerley from the 1880s onwards. By the First World War the area was entirely developed. The area, which was originally outside the borough boundary, was annexed to the borough of Leicester in 1892.Sir William Honywood, 2nd Baronet
Sir William Honywood, 2nd Baronet (ca. 1654 – 8 June 1748) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1685 to 1695.
Honywood was the son of Sir Edward Honywood, 1st Baronet and his wife Elizabeth Maynard, daughter of Sir John Maynard of Tooting, Surrey. He inherited the baronetcy of Evington on the death of his father in 1670/ In 1685 Honywood was elected Mayor and Member of Parliament for Canterbury and held the seat until 1695.Honywood married Anna Christiana Newman daughter of Richard Newman of Fifehead Magdalen in Dorset. They had two sons and four daughters. He died at Evington at the age of 94 and was buried at Elmstead. His grandson Edward succeeded in the baronetcy.Spinney Hills
Spinney Hills is an inner city area of Leicester, England. It is situated to the north of the core Highfields area, around Spinney Hill Park. To the north is Northfields, to the east North Evington, to the west is the railway line, and to the south is the main part of Highfields. It is also a ward of the City of Leicester whose population at the 2011 census was 25,561.St Paul's Catholic School, Leicester
St Paul's Catholic School is a voluntary-aided Roman Catholic secondary school and sixth form in Evington, Leicester, England, teaching years 7–13.Thurnby Lodge
Thurnby Lodge is an estate in eastern Leicester, England. Roughly, it consists of the area inside the city boundary which is north of the Uppingham Road, east of the A563 outer ringroad, and south of the Scraptoft Lane. Since the core area around Thurncourt Road is a council estate with an average reputation, many, particular those around the western and southern fringe, would disassociate their area from Thurnby Lodge.
It is near but not part of Thurnby (to the south-east), after which it is named. Other nearby places are Humberstone (north and west), Scraptoft (east), Evington (south) and Goodwood, Leicestershire (south).Umar Mosque (Leicester)
Umar Mosque is a mosque in Evington, Leicester, England.
The building was completed in 2000.
Wards of Leicester