Egg Rock is an outcrop of Silurian Straw Hollow Diorite at the confluence of the Assabet and Sudbury rivers, where they form the Concord River in Concord, Massachusetts. The outcrop is located on a roughly oval intermittent island of about 100 by 50 meters. Egg Rock is usually accessible using foot trails over land, but during high river levels the island is separated from the mainland by a narrow channel. The highest point of Egg Rock is about 39 meters above mean sea level and about 6 meters above normal river level.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) includes Egg Rock as GNIS feature 617309, classified as an island. In the GNIS database as of February 2010, the listed position (latitude 42.4645383, longitude -71.3592266) is misplaced by about 125 meters to the southwest, and is not actually located on the intermittent island. A more correct position is latitude 42.4651, longitude -71.3585.
View of Egg Rock around 1900, from "The History of Concord, Massachusetts", 1904
Location of Egg Rock in Concord, Massachusetts
|Location||Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States|
|Length||.1 km (0.062 mi)|
|Width||.05 km (0.031 mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|Named for||Located on egg-shaped intermittent island; rock outcropping may appear egg-shaped from some perspectives|
An inscription was carved into the rock in 1885 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the 1635 founding of Concord:
On the hill Nashawtuck
at the meeting of the rivers
and along the banks
lived the Indian owners of
before the white men came
The significance of the inscription would have been clear to most people familiar with local lore at the time it was carved, although it may seem cryptic now to many people who are unfamiliar with Concord's history and geography. The native Massachusett tribe used the Algonquian name Musketaquid for the surrounding area and its riverside meadows; the Algonquian word for grass is muskeht. The Concord River and even the town of Concord were often called Musketaquid by writers in the nineteenth century, as may be noted in Henry David Thoreau's comment quoted below. The principal local settlement of the Massachusett tribe which remained in 1635 (after smallpox decimated the original population in the preceding two decades) was nearby on the gentle slopes of Nashawtuc Hill, whose crest is about 500 meters southwest of Egg Rock. Negotiations initiated by Simon Willard with leaders of the tribe gave English settlers the right to live in the area, which came to be called "Concord" in appreciation of the peaceful acquisition.
The importance of Egg Rock to Concord's historical self-image may be seen in the fact that at the time of its execution in 1885, the Egg Rock inscription was one of just seven town-wide "lasting memorials of stone and bronze" which were designed and commissioned by the "Tablet sub-committee" of the Concord Celebration Committee. As Charles Hosmer Walcott, chairman of the Tablet sub-committee, declaimed in a speech he delivered during the Sept. 12, 1885 celebration, the seven memorials "form an epitome of the town's history for a century and a half -- from the beginning of the plantation to the war of the revolution." Concerning the inscription on Egg Rock itself, he continued:
"The simple words inscribed on the rugged face of the rock, where the rivers meet, will serve to remind us and succeeding generations of a people who have vanished from the face of the earth, leaving scarcely a trace of themselves, except a few arrow-heads and stone pestles, and, here and there, a mound or a heap of clam shells."
The inscription is carved into the eastern face of Egg Rock, and can be seen from a boat in the Sudbury River.
Egg Rock's location has attracted people since before historic times. Stone relics of Native Americans have been found around Egg Rock.
Henry David Thoreau beautifully described the gentle character of the three rivers (the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord rivers) near Concord, Massachusetts in his 1849 book, A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers:
The Musketaquid, or Grass-ground River, though probably as old as the Nile or Euphrates, did not begin to have a place in civilized history, until the fame of its grassy meadows and its fish attracted settlers out of England in 1635, when it received the other but kindred name of CONCORD from the first plantation on its banks, which appears to have been commenced in a spirit of peace and harmony. It will be Grass-ground River as long as grass grows and water runs here; it will be Concord River only while men lead peaceable lives on its banks. [...] One branch of it [...] called Sudbury River, enters Concord at the south part of the town, and after receiving [at Egg Rock] the North or Assabeth River, which has its source a little farther to the north and west, goes out at the northeast angle [....] Concord River is remarkable for the gentleness of its current, which is scarcely perceptible, and some have referred to its influence the proverbial moderation of the inhabitants of Concord, [...] it appears to have been properly named Musketaquid, or Meadow River, by the Indians. For the most part, it creeps through broad meadows [....]
The typically tranquil quality of the rivers has helped make boating on the Concord, Sudbury, and Assabet rivers a favorite pastime and social activity for many Concord area residents since well before Thoreau's time. Egg Rock's location at the confluence of these rivers, and nearly in the center of Concord's land area, has resulted in its status as a notable landmark for many years.
PM up Assabet
This morning was one of the coldest. It improves the walking on the river--freezing the overflow beneath the snow. As I pass the Island (Egg Rock) I notice the ice foot adhering to the rock about 2 feet above the surface of the ice generally-- the ice there for a few feet in width slants up to it & owing to this the snow is blown off it. This edging of ice revealed is peculiarly green by contrast with the snow methinks. So, too, where the ice settling has rested on a rock which has burst it & now hold it high above the surrounding level-- 
Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson are reported to have sometimes enjoyed sitting on Egg Rock, watching the water flow by. Daniel Chester French, who sculpted the sitting figure of Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial as well as the Minute Man statue just downstream from Egg Rock at the Old North Bridge and the statue of Emerson in the Concord Free Public Library, breakfasted there occasionally.
In the first stanza of his romantic 1875 poem “Floating Hearts,” George Bradford Bartlett considered Egg Rock among the major riverside vistas of Concord, alongside the Minute Man statue at the Old North Bridge and The Old Manse:
One of Indian summer's most perfect days
Is dreamily dying in golden haze,
Fair Assabet blushes in rosy bliss,
Reflecting the sun's warm good night kiss.
Through a fleet of leaf barques gold and brown,
From the radiant maples shaken down,
By the ancient hemlocks grim and gray
Our boat drifts slowly on its way;
Down past Egg Rock and the meadows wide,
Neath the old red bridge we slowly glide,
Till we see the Minute man strong and grand,
And the moss grown Manse in the orchard land.
The natural beauty of the rivers around Egg Rock has been extolled by several of America's most well-known authors. Of the stretch of the Assabet River immediately upstream of Egg Rock, Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote:
A more lovely stream than the Assabet for a mile above its junction with the Concord has never flowed on earth – nowhere, indeed, except to lave the interior regions of a poet's imagination.... It comes flowing softly through the midmost privacy and deepest heart of a wood which whispers it to be quiet; while the stream whispers back again from its sedgy borders, as if river and wood were hushing one another to sleep. Yes, the river sleeps along its course and dreams of the sky and the clustering foliage.
Beginning in the 1870s, many Concord area residents participated in social events on the rivers around Egg Rock.
Egg Rock itself was a much-enjoyed location for holiday picnics and breakfasts in the summer. During that period, a “Carnival of Boats” was organized, with as many as 8000 participants and spectators, by one account. The boats gathered around Egg Rock and floated down the Concord River, many bearing Chinese-style lanterns and elaborate decorations similar to parade floats.
Although the clearing of surrounding woodlands and the building of the Reformatory Branch railroad disrupted the pristine atmosphere of Egg Rock's surroundings in the later 1800s, by the beginning of the 21st Century, the area had largely returned to a more natural state. The designation of the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord rivers as a part of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System in 1999, and the permanent protection of many tracts of land bordering the rivers, appear to ensure long-term preservation of many of the natural values of this beautiful area.
Egg Rock continues to play a significant part in more modern celebrations of the waters surrounding Concord. The annual River Fest celebrated along the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord rivers often includes an event at Egg Rock to perform “a blessing to honor the spirit of the river and the river of life." Egg Rock has been the site of a winter solstice ceremony sponsored by the Emerson Umbrella Center for the Arts, which included a bonfire. It has served as the starting point for an annual fund raising event produced by the local Milldam Nursery School, in which nearly 2000 yellow rubber ducks float down the Concord River from Egg Rock to the Lowell Road boat launch ramp, about 300 meters downstream.
Beyond events on the rivers themselves, Egg Rock appears regularly in a variety of forms in the local cultural scene. It has been the subject of several artistic works, including a painting by Lexington artist Michael Cunliffe Thompson entitled “Egg Rock,” which uses the Egg Rock inscription text to form its top and bottom borders, a large and striking painting by Concord artist Ilana Manolson in 2009, also entitled “Egg Rock,” and a similarly titled en plein air oil painting by Gregory Dysart of Natick. Egg Rock is also the inspiration for the name of a Concord area classical music quartet, the Egg Rock Quartet, which in 2009 performed “a lively evening of chamber music“ for the Concord Art Association.
Many visitors pass by Egg Rock on boats as they travel between a popular boat rental establishment along the Sudbury River at Concord's South Bridge and the historic Old North Bridge. There is also a boat launch ramp at the Lowell Road bridge over the Concord River, about 300 meters downstream of Egg Rock. Depending on water levels, there are accessible landing spots nearby Egg Rock along the Sudbury River. Egg Rock is a popular picnic spot, with a few benches located on the higher ground.
Except during times of high river levels, Egg Rock is easily accessible by foot or off-road bicycle as well as from the water. Egg Rock itself is located within Concord's Egg Rock conservation land, an eight-acre (three-hectare) parcel donated to the town in 1942 through a bequest from Fannie Eleanor Wheeler. It is an easy (1 km) walk from Concord center or the Concord railway station on the Fitchburg Line from Boston. The Town of Concord suggests that visitors who travel by automobile to visit Egg Rock should park on Nashawtuc Road after crossing the Sudbury River, then walk about 200 meters along the driveway marked "Squaw Sachem Trail" (past all of the houses - as of 2014) to a path on the right, which leads to Egg Rock. The round trip walk averages about 30 minutes.
The trail to Egg Rock crosses a short segment of the Reformatory Branch Rail Trail. This segment runs through woodland about 1.5 kilometers to the northwest and about 200 meters to the east from the intersection; in both directions that trail ends at riverbanks where railroad bridges formerly stood. The rail trail to the northwest connects to other trails in the Simon Willard Woods and Korbet conservation lands, and provides good access to the scenic Assabet River bank. Beyond the former railroad bridge over the Sudbury River to the east, the Reformatory Branch Rail Trail continues for 7 kilometers as a dirt track to connect to the Minuteman Bikeway, a paved bikeway providing access from the Boston area.
So far, no legal restrictions have prevented locals or tourists from visiting this historic site.
Crabtree Ledge Light was a sparkplug lighthouse on Frenchman Bay, Maine.
It was first established in 1890 and deactivated in 1933. It was a brown conical tower on a black cylindrical pier located on Crabtree Ledge, about one mile off Crabtree Neck at the north end of Frenchman Bay. Crabtree is named after the American privateer Captain Agreen Crabtree, the first settler of Hancock.Eastern Egg Rock Island
Eastern Egg Rock Island is an island in the Town of St. George in Knox County in the U.S. state of Maine. It is owned by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW), and it is located off the southern Atlantic Coast of the state. Project Puffin, a restoration effort by the Audubon Society, is implemented on Eastern Egg Rock through a contract with the MDIFW.Egg Rock (Nahant Bay)
Egg Rock (sometimes called Elephant Rock) in Nahant Bay near Nahant, Massachusetts is a small (3-acre) island at 42.4333°N 70.8978°W / 42.4333; -70.8978. It was formerly the site of a lighthouse known as Egg Rock Light but now is owned by the state of Massachusetts as a bird sanctuary. Egg Rock can be seen clearly from the coasts of Nahant, Swampscott, and Lynn. Egg Rock is the setting for Sylvia Plath's poem, "Suicide at Egg Rock," and also appears in her novel, The Bell Jar.Egg Rock Light
Egg Rock Light can refer to:
Egg Rock Light (Maine) in Frenchman Bay
Egg Rock Light (Massachusetts) formerly in Nahant, MassachusettsEgg Rock Light (Maine)
Egg Rock Light is a lighthouse on Frenchman Bay, Maine. Built in 1875, it is one of coastal Maine's architecturally unique lighthouses, with a square tower projecting through the square keeper's house. Located on Egg Rock, midway between Mount Desert Island and the Schoodic Peninsula, it is an active aid to navigation, flashing red every 40 seconds. The light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Egg Rock Light Station in 1988.Egg Rock Light (Massachusetts)
Egg Rock Light was first established in 1856 after a schooner went down with the loss of five lives. The original structure was a lantern on top of a stone dwelling built from granite cut on the island. After the wreck of the schooner Shark the characteristic was changed to fixed red because the captain of the Shark was said to have confused it with Long Island Head Light in Boston Harbor.
Following a fire in 1897 it was rebuilt with a square tower attached to the house. The light was operated at reduced intensity during World War I because of concerns over German submarines. It was automated in 1919 when a gas beacon replaced the oil light.
The structure was sold for $160 with a clause requiring the purchaser to remove it from the island. While moving the house down to the water, a cable snapped and the house slid into the water. The tower was destroyed in 1927. The island is now a bird sanctuary.Franklin Island Light
Franklin Island Light is a lighthouse on Franklin Island, in Muscongus Bay, Maine, USA.
It was first established in 1805. The present structure was built in 1855.List of lighthouses in Massachusetts
This is a list of all lighthouses in the U.S. state of Massachusetts as identified by the United States Coast Guard. Enumeration of the lighthouses in this state is complicated by the number of multiple tower stations and replacement of older towers, with the Brant Point Light station having had nine towers, two of which survive. At present there are forty-seven active towers, of which eleven are privately maintained; thirteen are standing but inactive, seven have been replaced with skeleton towers, thirteen have been destroyed or removed, and one tower has been moved to another state. The oldest station, Boston Light, established in 1716, was the first lighthouse built in the colonies, and the current tower at that station, built in 1783, is the oldest survivor in the state and the second oldest in the nation, and was the last lighthouse automated in the United States. The last station established was at the Buzzards Bay Entrance Light in 1961 (since replaced by an automated light on a steel tripod), but in 1986 the 1818 Great Point Light was rebuilt and relit, making it the last tower constructed in the state. The tallest towers in the state are the two Cape Ann Light towers, but the highest focal plane is at the Hospital Point Range Rear Light, which is located in the steeple of the First Baptist Church of Beverly.A number of inactivated Massachusetts lights have met with unusual fates. The Three Sisters of Nauset were sold off to separate private buyers before being purchased by the National Park Service and moved back near their original site. Range lights in Nantucket and Hyannis were incorporated into private dwellings, the former housing the Gilbreth family of Cheaper by the Dozen fame. The Point Gammon Light was converted into an observation tower for birdwatching.
If not otherwise noted, focal height and coordinates are taken from the United States Coast Guard Light List, while location and dates of activation, automation, and deactivation are taken from the United States Coast Guard Historical information site for lighthouses.List of rocks on Mars
This is an alphabetical list of named rocks (and meteorites) found on Mars, by mission. This list does not include Martian meteorites found on Earth.
Names for Mars rocks are largely unofficial designations used for ease of discussion purposes, as the International Astronomical Union's official Martian naming system declares that objects smaller than 100 m (330 ft) are not to be given official names. Because of this, some less significant rocks seen in photos returned by Mars rovers have been named more than once, and others have even had their names changed later due to conflicts or even matters of opinion. Often rocks are named after the children or family members of astronauts or NASA employees. The name Jazzy, for example, was taken from a girl named Jazzy who grew up in Grand Junction, CO, USA. Her father worked for NASA and contributed to the findings and naming of the rocks.Lynn Shore Drive
Lynn Shore Drive is an historic oceanfront parkway in Lynn, Massachusetts. Composed of a two-lane road, parkland, a seaside pedestrian esplanade, and a seawall, Lynn Shore Drive runs for approximately one mile (1.6 km) along Lynn's Atlantic Ocean coastline, following the upland boundary of the adjoining Lynn Shore Reservation, and connecting Nahant with Swampscott.Known for its scenic views of the open Atlantic, Nahant Bay, Egg Rock, and Boston Skyline, Lynn Shore Drive is part of the Essex Coastal Scenic Byway and forms the southeasterly edge of the National Register Diamond Historic District. The Lynn Shore Drive seawall is a contributing resource to the National Register District--as are many of the historic homes lining the drive’s inland edge.An early example of a parkway, and distinctive by virtue of its oceanfront setting, Lynn Shore Drive opened to the public in 1907. Prior to the drive’s creation, Lynn’s oceanfront was held largely in private estates and was not accessible to the public.The effort to create Lynn Shore Drive was pioneered in part by George N. Nichols, a Lynn resident who, in 1874—at age 19—petitioned Lynn’s City Council to appropriate for public use the lands along the Diamond District’s oceanfront.Between 1895 and 1903, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Metropolitan District Commission acquired land parcels encompassing a substantial stretch of Lynn’s coastline, laying the groundwork for the construction of Lynn Shore Drive--and the contemporaneous creation of the adjoining Lynn Shore and Nahant Beach Reservations.Lynn Shore Drive is today managed by the Metropolitan District Commission's successor agency, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.Manana Island (Maine)
Manana Island is an island in Lincoln County, Maine, United States, lying adjacent to Monhegan island, about 10 miles (16 km) off Pemaquid Point on the mainland. The island is part of the Plantation of Monhegan.
It is the site of the Manana Island Sound Signal Station, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Archeological sites on the island include a petroglyph and a stone cairn.A small herd of goats spends summers on the island. They winter in Kennebunk and are rowed over to Manana Island from the Monhegan Harbor in spring.Muscongus Bay
Muscongus Bay is a bay on the coast of Maine, United States, between Penobscot Bay and John's Bay. Muscongus was the name of an Abenaki village meaning "fishing place" or "many [or large] rock ledges." John Smith recorded the river in 1616 as Nusconcus and was also spelled Nuscongus. The two main tributaries are the Saint George River at its eastern end and the Medomak River, which flows into the bay at Waldoboro. Historically, the Medomak River and Muscongus Bay were the dividing line between the Waldo Patent and Pemaquid Patent and Waldoboro was a customs point of entry. Muscongus Bay has many islands including Hog which is home to a National Audubon Society camp, Allen, Eastern Egg Rock, Franklin (home of Franklin Island National Wildlife Refuge), and Louds Island historically referred to as Muscongus Island prior purchase from Thomas Drowne by William Loud. Monhegan Island is offshore from Muscongus Bay. The Maine Island Trail passed through Muscongus Bay.
The bay is bounded by Marshall Point Light, Pemaquid Point Light, and contains Franklin Island Light.
Towns bordering Muscongus bay are Bristol, Bremen, Waldoboro, Friendship, Cushing, and St. George.
The type of sailboat called the Muscongus Bay sloop is also known as the Friendship Sloop. The hull of the five-masted schooner Cora F. Cressey lies in Muscongus Bay.Nahant Bay
Nahant Bay is an Atlantic Ocean bay, fronted by Swampscott, Lynn, and Nahant, Massachusetts. Egg Rock is located in the Nahant Bay.Nash Island Light
Nash Island Light is a lighthouse on Nash Island at the entrance to Pleasant Bay in Maine.Old North Bridge
The North Bridge, often colloquially called the Old North Bridge, is a historical site in the Battle of Concord, the first day of battle in the American War of Independence. The current wooden pedestrian bridge is a replica of the one that stood at the day of the battle. It and nearby sites are now part of the Minute Man National Historical Park of the National Park Service, an extremely popular tourist destination.
The current bridge is located in its original location off Monument Street in Concord, Massachusetts. It spans the Concord River 0.5 miles northeast from the start of the river at the confluence of the Assabet River and the Sudbury River at Egg Rock.Pond Island Light
Pond Island Light is a lighthouse at the mouth of the Kennebec River, Maine.
It was first established in 1821 on Pond Island (one of several in Maine) at the mouth of the Kennebec. The present structure was built in 1855.Project Puffin
Project Puffin is an effort initiated by Dr. Stephen W. Kress of the National Audubon Society to learn how to restore puffins to historic nesting islands in the Gulf of Maine. It was started in 1973 when puffins were nesting in only two locations in Maine — Matinicus Rock and Machias Seal Island. The project began with an attempt to restore puffins to Eastern Egg Rock Island in Muscongus Bay, about 6 miles (9.7 km) away from Pemaquid Point. The restoration efforts are based on the fact that young puffins usually return to breed on the same island where they hatched.
Young puffins from Great Island were transplanted to Eastern Egg Rock when they were about 10–14 days old. The young puffins were then nested in artificial sod burrows for about one month. Audubon biologists placed handfuls of vitamin-fortified fish in their burrows each day. As the young puffins reached fledging age, they received identification tags so they could be recognized in the future. After spending their first 2–3 years at sea, it was hoped they would return to establish a new colony at Eastern Egg Rock rather than Great Island.
Between 1973 and 1986, 954 young puffins were transplanted from Great Island to Eastern Egg Rock and 914 of these successfully fledged. Transplanted puffins began returning to Eastern Egg Rock in June 1977. To lure them ashore and encourage the birds to explore their home, wooden puffin decoys were positioned atop large boulders. The number of young puffins has gradually increased. In 1981, four pairs nested beneath boulders at the edge of the island and the colony had increased to 37 pairs in 2001. The total population reached 104 pairs in 2012.Sudbury River
The Sudbury River is a 32.7-mile-long (52.6 km) tributary of the Concord River in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, in the United States.Originating in the Cedar Swamp in Westborough, Massachusetts, near the boundary with Hopkinton, the Sudbury River meanders generally northeast, through Fairhaven Bay, and to its confluence with the Assabet River at Egg Rock in Concord, Massachusetts, to form the Concord River. It has a 162-square-mile (420 km2) drainage area. A 1775 map identifies the river by this name as passing through the town of Sudbury, itself established 1639.
On April 9, 1999, nearly 17 miles (27 km) of the river were "recognized for their outstanding ecology, history, scenery, recreation values, and place in American literature," by being designated as a part of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System. The 14.9-mile (24.0 km) segment of the Sudbury River beginning at the Danforth Street Bridge in the town of Framingham, downstream to the Route 2 bridge in Concord, is designated as a Scenic River, and the 1.7-mile (2.7 km) segment from the Route 2 bridge downstream to its confluence with the Assabet River at Egg Rock is designated as a Recreational River, along with adjoining stretches of the Assabet and Concord rivers.Mercury contamination was discovered in the 1970s from the Nyanza plant in Ashland. The EPA subsequently listed the town as a toxic site and led a cleanup effort to repair the damage. It is still recommended that fish caught downriver not be eaten.VRB-25
The VRB-25 is a lighthouse optical system designed and built by Vega Industries Ltd. in Porirua, New Zealand. It was originally designed in 1993-95 with the assistance of the United States Coast Guard to meet USCG requirements for a robust mechanism requiring minimum maintenance. It has become the Coast Guard's standard 12 volt rotating beacon. The company's literature says there are more than 400 installations worldwide. More than a quarter of the active lighthouses in Maine have one installed.