Edward William Bok (born Eduard Willem Gerard Cesar Hidde Bok) (October 9, 1863 – January 9, 1930) was a Dutch-born American editor and Pulitzer Prize-winning author. He was editor of the Ladies' Home Journal for 30 years (1889-1919). Bok is credited with coining the term living room as the name for a room of a house that had commonly been called the parlor or drawing room. He also created Bok Tower Gardens in central Florida.
Bok circa 1918
|Born||Eduard Willem Gerard Cesar Hidde Bok|
October 9, 1863
Den Helder, Netherlands
|Died||January 9, 1930 (aged 66)|
|Occupation||Editor and author|
|Notable works||Successward, The Young Man in Business, The Young Man & The Church|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize|
|Spouse||Mary L. Curtis|
Bok was born in Den Helder, Netherlands. At the age of six, he immigrated to Brooklyn, New York. In Brooklyn he washed the windows of a bakery shop after school to help support his family. His people were so poor that in addition he used to go out in the street with a basket every day and collect stray bits of coal that had fallen in the gutter where the coal wagons had delivered fuel.
In 1882 Edward Bok began work with Henry Holt and Company. In 1884 he became involved with Charles Scribner's Sons, where he eventually became its advertising manager. From 1884 until 1887 Bok was the editor of The Brooklyn Magazine, and in 1886 he founded the Bok Syndicate Press.
After moving to Philadelphia in 1889, he obtained the editorship of Ladies Home Journal when its founder and editor Louisa Knapp Curtis stepped down to a less intense role at the popular, nationally circulated publication. It was published by Cyrus Curtis, who had an established publishing empire that included many newspapers and magazines.
In 1896 Bok married Mary L. Curtis, the daughter of Louisa and Cyrus Curtis. She shared her family's interest in music, cultural activities, and philanthropy and was very active in social circles. Shortly before his marriage, he published an advice book for young men. He noted among other things, that "A man who truly loves his mother, wife, sister or sweetheart never tells a story which lowers her sex in the eyes of others." During his editorship, the Journal became the first magazine in the world to have one million subscribers and it became very influential among readers by featuring informative and progressive ideas in its articles. The magazine focused upon the social issues of the day. The mother of H.L. Mencken was one of those busy and amiable housewives who read Edward Bok's Ladies' Home Journal year after passing year. When Bok's autobiography, The Americanization of Edward Bok, appeared in 1920, he reviewed it with an interest based on long acquaintance with the magazine. Mencken observed that Bok showed an irrepressible interest in things artistic:
When he looked at the houses in which his subscribers lived, their drab hideousness made him sick. When he went inside and contemplated the lambrequins, the gilded cattails, the Rogers groups, the wax fruit under glass domes, the emblazoned seashells from Asbury Park, the family Bible on the marble-topped center-table, the crayon enlargements of Uncle Richard and Aunt Sue, the square pianos, the Brussels carpets, the grained woodwork—when his eyes alighted upon such things, his soul revolted, and at once his moral enthusiasm incited him to attempt a reform. The result was a long series of Ladies' Home Journal crusades against the hideousness of the national scene – in domestic architecture, in house furnishing, in dress, in town buildings, in advertising. Bok flung himself headlong into his campaigns, and practically every one of them succeeded. ... If there were gratitude in the land, there would be a monument to him in every town in the Republic. He has been, aesthetically, probably the most useful citizen that ever breathed its muggy air.
In 1924 Mary Louise Bok founded the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, which she dedicated to her father, Cyrus Curtis, and in 1927, the Boks embarked upon the construction of Bok Tower Gardens, near their winter home in Mountain Lake Estates, Lake Wales, Florida, which was dedicated on February 1, 1929, by the president of the United States, Calvin Coolidge. Bok Tower sometimes is called a sanctuary and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark. Bok is used as an example in Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.
In 1895, Bok began publishing in Ladies Home Journal plans for building houses which were affordable for the American middle class – from $1,500 to $5,000 – and made full specifications with regional prices available by mail for $5. Later, Bok and the Journal became a major force in promoting the "bungalow", a style of residence which derived from India. Plans for these houses cost as little as a dollar, and the 1 1⁄2-story dwelling, some as small as 800 square feet, soon became a dominant form of new domestic architecture in the country.
Some architects complained that by making building plans available on a mass basis, Bok was usurping their prerogatives, and some, such as Stanford White openly discouraged him – although White would later come around, writing
I believe that Edward Bok has more completely influenced American domestic architecture for the better than any man in this generation. When he began ... I refused to cooperate with him. If Bok would come to me now, I would not only make plans for him, but I would waive my fee for them in retribution for my early mistake.
Bok is credited with coining the term living room as the name for room of a house that was commonly called a parlor or drawing room. This room had traditionally been used only on Sundays or for formal occasions such as the displaying of deceased family members before burial; it was the buffer zone between the public sphere and the private one of the rest of the house. Bok believed it was foolish to create an expensively furnished room that was rarely used, and promoted the new name to encourage families to use the room in their daily lives. He wrote, "We have what is called a 'drawing room'. Just whom or what it 'draws' I have never been able to see unless it draws attention to too much money and no taste ..." 
Bok's overall concern was to preserve his socially conservative vision of the ideal American household, with the wife as homemaker and child-rearer, and the children raised in a healthy, natural setting, close to the soil. To this end, he promoted the suburbs as the best place for well-balanced domestic life.
Theodore Roosevelt said about Bok:
[He] is the only man I ever heard of who changed, for the better, the architecture of an entire nation, and he did it so quickly and effectively that we didn't know it was begun before it was finished.
Bok's 1920 autobiography The Americanization of Edward Bok: The Autobiography of a Dutch Boy Fifty Years Later won the Gold Medal of the Academy of Political and Social Science and the 1921 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography.
The following are the Pulitzer Prizes for 1921.American Peace Award
The American Peace Award is awarded to American citizens working to further the cause of world peace.Bok Tower Gardens
Bok Tower Gardens (also known as Bok Mountain Lake Sanctuary and Singing Tower) is a contemplative garden, and bird sanctuary located north of Lake Wales, Florida, United States. It consists of a 250-acre (100 ha) garden, the 205-foot (62 m) tall Singing Tower with its carillon bells, Pine Ridge Trail, Pinewood Estate, and a visitor center. The tower is built upon Iron Mountain, one of the highest points of peninsular Florida, estimated to be 295 feet (90 m) above sea level. It is a National Historic Landmark that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, nationally significant for its association with Edward W. Bok and its designers.
Bok Tower Gardens is open daily and an admission fee is charged.Charles Ezra Beury
Charles Ezra Beury (pronounced "Berry"; August 13, 1879 – March 9, 1953) was the second president of Temple University from 1925 to 1941.
Dr. Beury was a banker before he became a college president. A son of the coal-operating Beurys for whom Beury, W. Va., is named, Charles Ezra Beury graduated from Princeton University in 1903. When he received a law degree from Harvard three years later it was in absentia because that day he was marrying the Lutheran pastor's daughter in his native Shamokin, Pennsylvania. His stock joke: "I became a bachelor and a benedict on the same day."
A career as lawyer and banker brought him to Temple's board of trustees where Russell Conwell spotted him as a likely successor. After his election Beury tried for a while to be both president of Temple University and board chairman of Bank of Philadelphia & Trust Co. In 1930 the bank was merged with Bankers Trust Co. of Philadelphia and Beury stepped out of the chairmanship. Few months later, Bankers Trust Co. went down with a resounding crash.
With Temple, Beury fared much better. Raising $6,000,000, he built a twelve-story classroom building, a student centre, and a new plant for the school of medicine. He acquired a school of chiropody. In 1932 he signed up Glenn Scobey Warner to coach football in what was at the time a new stadium.
Temple's benefactors have included Publisher Cyrus H. K. Curtis, his son-in-law Edward Bok, and Mr. & Mrs. George F. Tyler, who gave the $1,000,000 School of Fine Arts now headed by Sculptor Boris Blai. In 1929 Thomas D. Sullivan, president of Philadelphia's Terminal Warehouse Co. and brother of Pundit Mark Sullivan, left $278,000 towards a library. In 1934, with private benefactions dried up, Beury turned to the PWA for $550,000 to complete the building.Curtis Bok
William Curtis Bok (September 7, 1897 - May 22, 1962) was a Pennsylvania Supreme Court justice, philanthropist and writer. Heir to an enormous publishing fortune, he was also a devout Quaker and an avid sailor.Derek Bok
Derek Curtis Bok (born March 22, 1930) is an American lawyer and educator, and the former president of Harvard University.Edward W. Bok Technical High School
The Edward W. Bok Technical High School was a public high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, designed by Irwin Catharine and named after Edward William Bok. It was completed in February 1938 by the Public Works Administration (WPA) as a vocational high school at 8th & Mifflin Streets. As part of the Philadelphia Public Schools' Multiple Property Submission, the school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December, 1986. Bok High School was reorganized in 2006-2007 to prepare students for jobs in modern technology. After the 2012-2013 school year, the school was closed.Ellen Fitz Pendleton
Ellen Fitz Pendleton (August 7, 1864 – July 26, 1936) was an American educator. She was president of Wellesley College for 25 years and notably expanded it financially and physically.Irwin T. Catharine
Irwin Thornton Catharine (October 22, 1883 – March 3, 1944) was the chief architect of Philadelphia public schools from 1920 until his retirement in 1937. Buildings built during Catharine's tenure ranged from Gothic Revival, as in the case of Simon Gratz High School, to Streamline Moderne, as in his last project, Joseph H. Brown Elementary School. He died in Philadelphia in 1944.
Catharine succeeded Henry deCoursey Richards as the main school designer in Philadelphia. From 1918 to 1937, his work added 104 new buildings (replacing 37 existing ones), added wings to 26 other schools, and otherwise improved at least 50 other schools.A number of his works are listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Works (all in Philadelphia) include:
James Alcorn School, (1931), 1500 S. 32nd St., NRHP-listed
Ethan Allen School, 3001 Robbins Ave., NRHP-listed
Charles Y. Audenried Junior High School, 1601 S. 33rd St., NRHP-listed
Bartlett School, 1100 Catharine St., NRHP-listed
Clara Barton School, 300 E. Wyoming Ave., NRHP-listed
John Bartram High School, 67th and Elmwood Sts., NRHP-listed
Dimner Beeber Junior High School, 5901 Malvern Ave., NRHP-listed
Belmont School, 4030-4060 Brown St., NRHP-listed
Rudolph Blankenburg School, 4600 Girard Ave., NRHP-listed
Board of Education Building, 21st St. and Benjamin Franklin Pkwy., NRHP-listed
Edward Bok Vocational School, 1909 S. Ninth St., NRHP-listed
Daniel Boone School, Hancock and Wildey Sts., NRHP-listed
F. Amadee Bregy School, 1700 Bigler St., NRHP-listed
Joseph H. Brown School, 8118-8120 Frankford Ave., NRHP-listed
Laura H. Carnell School, 6101 Summerdale Ave., NRHP-listed
Lewis C. Cassidy School, 6523-6543 Lansdowne Ave., NRHP-listed
Joseph W. Catharine School, 6600 Chester Ave., NRHP-listed
Central High School, Olney and Ogontz Aves., Logan neighborhood of Philadelphia, NRHP-listed
Russell H. Conwell School, 1829-1951 E. Clearfield St., NRHP-listed
Jay Cooke Junior High School, 4735 Old York Rd., NRHP-listed
Thomas Creighton School, 5401 Tabor Rd., NRHP-listed
Kennedy Crossan School, 7341 Palmetto St., NRHP-listed
Lydia Darrah School, 708-732 N. 17th St., NRHP-listed
Hamilton Disston School, 6801 Cottage St., NRHP-listed
Murrell Dobbins Vocational School, 2100 Lehigh Ave., NRHP-listed
James Dobson School, 4665 Umbria St., NRHP-listed
Paul Lawrence Dunbar School, 12th above Columbia Ave., NRHP-listed
Henry R. Edmunds School, 1101-1197 Haworth St., NRHP-listed
James Elverson, Jr. School, 1300 Susquehanna Ave., NRHP-listed
Eleanor Cope Emlen School of Practice, 6501 Chew St., NRHP-listed
Federal Street School, 1130-1148 Federal St., NRHP-listed
D. Newlin Fell School, 900 Oregon Ave., NRHP-listed
Joseph C. Ferguson School, 2000-2046 7th St., NRHP-listed
Thomas K. Finletter School, 6101 N. Front St., NRHP-listed
Thomas Fitzsimons Junior High School, 2601 W. Cumberland St., NRHP-listed
Edwin Forrest School, 4300 Bleigh St., NRHP-listed
Robert Fulton School, 60-68 E. Haines St., NRHP-listed
Elizabeth Duane Gillespie Junior High School, 3901-3961 N. 18th St., NRHP-listed
Simon Gratz High School, 3901-3961 N. 18th St., NRHP-listed
Warren G. Harding Junior High School, 2000 Wakeling St., NRHP-listed
William H. Harrison School, 1012-1020 W. Thompson St., NRHP-listed
Francis Hopkinson School, 1301-1331 E. Luzerne Ave., NRHP-listed
Henry H. Houston School, 135 W. Allen's Ln., NRHP-listed
Thomas Jefferson School, 1101-1125 N. 4th St., NRHP-listed
John Story Jenks School, 8301-8317 Germantown Ave., NRHP-listed
John Paul Jones Junior High School, 2922 Memphis St., NRHP-listed
Eliza Butler Kirkbride School, 626 Dickinson St., NRHP-listed
Logan Demonstration School, 5000 N. 17th St., NRHP-listed
James R. Ludlow School, 1323-1345 N. 6th St., NRHP-listed
William Mann School, 1835-1869 N. 54th St., NRHP-listed
Martin Orthopedic School, 800 N. 22nd St., NRHP-listed
Delaplaine McDaniel School, 2100 Moore St., NRHP-listed
George Meade School, 1801 Oxford St., NRHP-listed
William M. Meredith School, 5th and Fitzwater Sts., NRHP-listed
Thomas Mifflin School, 3500 Midvale Ave., NRHP-listed
Andrew J. Morrison School, 300 Duncannon St., NRHP-listed
George W. Nebinger School, 601-627 Carpenter St., NRHP-listed
Jeremiah Nichols School, 1235 S. 16th St., NRHP-listed
Olney High School, Duncannon and Front Sts., NRHP-listed
Overbrook High School, 59th and Lancaster Ave., NRHP-listed
John M. Patterson School, 7001 Buist Ave., NRHP-listed
William S. Peirce School, 2400 Christian St., NRHP-listed
Penn Treaty Junior High School, 600 E. Thompson St., NRHP-listed
Joseph Pennell School, 1800-1856 Nedro St., NRHP-listed
Samuel W. Pennypacker School, 1800-1850 E. Washington Ln., NRHP-listed
Philadelphia High School for Girls (now Julia R. Masterman School), 17th and Spring Garden Sts., NRHP-listed
Gen. John F. Reynolds School, 2300 Jefferson St., NRHP-listed
Richmond School, 2942 Belgrade St., NRHP-listed
Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School, 430 E. Washington Ln., NRHP-listed
William Rowen School, 6801 N. 19th St., NRHP-listed
Anna Howard Shaw Junior High School, 5401 Warrington St., NRHP-listed
William Shoemaker Junior High School, 1464-1488 N. 53rd St., NRHP-listed
Franklin Smedley School, 5199 Mulberry St., NRHP-listed
Walter George Smith School, 1300 S. 19th St., NRHP-listed
Spring Garden School No. 1, 12th and Ogden Sts., NRHP-listed
Spring Garden School No. 2, Melon St. S of 12th St., NRHP-listed
Stanton, Edwin M., School, 1616-1644 Christian St., NRHP-listed
Thaddeus Stevens School of Observation, 1301 Spring Garden St., NRHP-listed
James J. Sullivan School, 5300 Ditman St., NRHP-listed
Mayer Sulzberger Junior High School, 701-741 N. 48th St., NRHP-listed
George C. Thomas Junior High School, 2746 S. 9th St., NRHP-listed
William J. Tilden Junior High School, 66th St. and Elmwood Ave., NRHP-listed
Edwin H. Vare Junior High School, 2102 S. 24th St., NRHP-listed
Roberts Vaux Junior High School, 230-2344 W. Master St., NRHP-listed
Gen. Louis Wagner Junior High School, 17th and Chelton Sts., NRHP-listed
George Washington School, 5th and Federal Sts., NRHP-listed
Woodrow Wilson Junior High School, Cottman Ave. and Loretta St., NRHP-listed
Mary Channing Wister School, 843-855 N. 8th St., NRHP-listed
George Wolf School, 8100 Lyons Ave., NRHP-listedIf Catharine has notable works outside of Philadelphia, none are listed on the National Register.January 9
January 9 is the ninth day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 356 days remaining until the end of the year (357 in leap years).Ladies' Home Journal
Ladies' Home Journal is an American magazine published by the Meredith Corporation. It was first published on February 16, 1883, and eventually became one of the leading women's magazines of the 20th century in the United States. From 1891 it was published in Philadelphia by the Curtis Publishing Company. In 1903, it was the first American magazine to reach one million subscribers.In the late 20th century, changing tastes and competition from television caused it to lose circulation. Sales of the magazine ensued as the publishing company struggled. On April 24, 2014, Meredith announced it would stop publishing the magazine as a monthly with the July issue, stating it was "transitioning Ladies' Home Journal to a special interest publication". It is now available quarterly on newsstands only, though its website remains in operation.Ladies' Home Journal was one of the Seven Sisters, as a group of women's service magazines were known. The name referred to seven prestigious women's colleges in the Northeast.Louisa Knapp Curtis
Louisa Knapp Curtis (October 21, 1851 – February 25, 1910), sometimes known only as Louisa Knapp, was the author of a column, and later, the separate supplement included with the magazine, Tribune and Farmer, that in 1883 would become a separate magazine, the Ladies' Home Journal, which is still published.
Her column in the Tribune and Farmer was entitled, Women at Home. The original name of the separate magazine that arose from the popularity of that column was The Ladies Home Journal and Practical Housekeeper, but she dropped the last three words from its title in 1886. The magazine became one of the most popular magazines published in the United States, reaching a circulation of one million within ten years.
Curtis remained as the editor of the monthly magazine from its first edition of February 16, 1883 until she turned over the editorship to Edward Bok in 1889, after which she continued to author one featured column and provided a certain amount of oversight, as promised to her readers.
In 1875, Louisa Knapp married Cyrus Curtis when he was the publisher of The Peoples Lodge in Boston. After a fire destroyed that business, they moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1876 where her husband founded the Tribune and Farmer and, in 1890, the Curtis Publishing company, which published several magazines. He also published three national level newspapers for a time, through his newspaper company, Curtis-Martin Newspapers, Inc.
Louisa and Cyrus Curtis had one child, Mary Louise Curtis, who married her mother's successor at the Ladies' Home Journal in 1896 (and with whom she founded Bok Tower Gardens). Mary Louise founded the Curtis Institute of Music in 1924 as well as, after the death of her father in 1933, the Curtis Hall Arboretum at the family residence, and the Curtis Center in the building from which her mother's magazine was published. In 1930 Edward Bok died and in 1943 she married the director of the Curtis Institute of Music that she had founded, the renowned violinist, Efrem Zimbalist.
Today a facility on Queen Street in Philadelphia is known as the Mary Louise Curtis Branch.Mary Louise Curtis
Mary Louise Curtis (August 6, 1876 in Boston, Massachusetts – January 4, 1970 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) was the founder of the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia. She was the only child of the magazine and newspaper magnate Cyrus H. K. Curtis and Louisa Knapp Curtis, the founder and editor of the Ladies' Home Journal.Merion Station, Pennsylvania
Merion Station (also known as Merion) is an unincorporated community in Pennsylvania, United States, bordering Philadelphia to the city's west. It is one of the communities that make up the Philadelphia Main Line, and is part of the municipality of Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County. Merion Station is known for its grand mansions and for the wealth of its residents.
Merion Station is contiguous to the Overbrook and Overbrook Park neighborhoods of Philadelphia and is also bordered by Lower Merion Township's unincorporated communities of Wynnewood and Bala Cynwyd, and the borough of Narberth.National Register of Historic Places listings in South Philadelphia
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in South Philadelphia.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below may be seen in an onlin map.There are 564 properties and districts listed on the National Register in Philadelphia, including 67 National Historic Landmarks. South Philadelphia includes 60 of these properties and districts, including 2 National Historic Landmarks; the city's remaining properties and districts are listed elsewhere. One site is split between South Philadelphia and other parts of the city, and is thus included on multiple lists.October 9
October 9 is the 282nd day of the year (283rd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 83 days remaining until the end of the year.Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography
The Pulitzer Prize for Biography is one of the seven American Pulitzer Prizes that are annually awarded for Letters, Drama, and Music. It has been presented since 1917 for a distinguished biography, autobiography or memoir by an American author or co-authors, published during the preceding calendar year. Thus it is one of the original Pulitzers, for the program was inaugurated in 1917 with seven prizes, four of which were awarded that year.The Philadelphia Award
The Philadelphia Award is given each year to a citizen of the Philadelphia region who, during the preceding year, acted and served on behalf of the best interests of the community. Created by Edward William Bok in 1921, The Philadelphia Award is among the most cherished, meaningful and prestigious awards conferred in, by and for the Philadelphia community. In establishing the Award, Bok wrote, "service to others tends to make lives happy and communities prosperous." He believed that "the idea of service as a test of good citizenship should be kept constantly before the minds of the people of Philadelphia."
Since its inception, The Philadelphia Award has recognized the achievements of more than 80 individuals. Its recipients have been some of the most distinguished Philadelphians, including industrialists, educators, lawyers, political figures, scientists, physicians, members of the clergy, social activists, philosophers, musicians, artists, architects and writers.