He studied law at the universities of Geneva, Leipzig and Berne. He became a member of the Conservative Party, was elected a Municipal Councilor of Berne and a Member of the Cantonal Parliament of Berne, all in 1914. He was President of the Bűrger Party of the town of Berne from 1922-29. He was also President of the Parliamentary faction of the Bauern-Gewerbe and Bűrger Party (Peasant, Trades and Citizens Party).
In the Cantonal Parliament, he presided over the Commission of Justice, 1922-26 and over the State Economic Commission, 1929-34. He was President of the Parliamentary Council and elected to the Cantonal Executive Council of Berne in 1939.
He was elected to the Federal Council on December 10, 1940 and handed over office on December 31, 1951. He was affiliated to the Party of Farmers, Traders and Independents (BGB/PAI), now the Swiss People's Party.
| Member of the Swiss Federal Council