Location of Pennsylvania in the United States
|Founded||Incorporated ca. 1704|
|• Total||8.27 sq mi (21.41 km2)|
|• Land||8.22 sq mi (21.30 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.11 km2)|
|Elevation||417 ft (127 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,288.02/sq mi (497.29/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The land that eventually became Easttown Township was once part of the Welsh Tract, a large expanse of land promised by William Penn to a group of Welsh Quaker settlers in which they would be able to speak and conduct business in the Welsh language. While the autonomous entity envisioned by some was never formed, it left its mark in the many Welsh place names that still exist, such as the Berwyn, in Easttown, and nearby Tredyffrin Township. The township is believed to have been incorporated in 1704, as that is the earliest date it has been found to be referred to in official records.
While the originators of the Welsh Tract were Quakers, the earliest settlers in the portion that became Easttown Township were mostly Anglicans. St. David's Episcopal Church, just past the eastern edge of the township, was constructed in 1715 by Welsh Anglicans when the mother church sent them a minister.
A Revolutionary War skirmish that occurred along a ridge in the center of the township was the only engagement of that war in the township. The name of the British commander, Banastre Tarleton, was later given to a nearby mansion: Tarleton.
Two sites in the township are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Waynesborough and Roughwood. The cluster of buildings that forms the village of Leopard, identified as a "Significant Historic Cluster" in the Chester County Historic Sites Survey (1979–1982), is eligible for listing as well. In addition, the Waterloo Mills Historic District has been designated. Although St. David's Church is just over the line in Newtown Township, the church building and its graveyard (most of which is in Easttown) are listed together in the National Register.
Easttown Township is said to have the most-litigated zoning law in Pennsylvania, largely as a result of its efforts to avoid being swallowed up by the expansion of the suburbs of Philadelphia. At least two major cases about minimum lot size were handed down by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court: Belbar Construction upheld the township's minimum lot sizes, while National Land and Investment Co. struck them down as "exclusionary" seven years later. National Land further held that a municipality may utilize zoning measures that are substantially related to the protection and preservation of the municipality's proper interest in providing for the general welfare of its residents, but Easttown's zoning did not pass the test. Ironically, despite the developer-litigants' claimed interest in allowing poor people to live in Easttown, they only built houses that sold at well over the average value in Pennsylvania.
At the 2010 census, the township was 89.5% non-Hispanic White, 2.0% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 5.3% Asian, and 1.1% were two or more races. 2.0% of the population were of Hispanic or Latino ancestry.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,270 people, 3,758 households, and 2,848 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,248.8 people per square mile (482.4/km²). There were 3,862 housing units at an average density of 469.6/sq mi (181.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.77% White, 2.51% African American, 0.11% Native American, 2.78% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.20% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.08% of the population.
There were 3,758 households, out of which 34.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.2% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the township the population was spread out, with 25.9% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 28.3% from 45 to 64, and 17.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $95,548, and the median income for a family was $109,103. Males had a median income of $80,341 versus $40,955 for females. The per capita income for the township was $51,028. About 0.7% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.6% of those under age 18 and 3.7% of those age 65 or over.
The township is governed by a Board of Supervisors. The present board consists of:
Easttown Township lies within the Tredyffrin/Easttown School District. Students residing within township boundaries attend Conestoga High School for grades 9-12. Hillside Elementary School, Beaumont Elementary School and Devon Elementary school serve students in grades K-4.  Tredyffrin/Easttown Middle School and Valley Forge Middle School serve students in grades 5-8.
Tarleton School, a private elementary school, is located on Waterloo Avenue.
Easttown Township has its own public library.
The township has two parks, Hilltop Park and Frank Johnson Memorial Park. Hilltop, with a Devon address but outside of the Devon CDP, has a pavilion with toilets, a picnic area, two soccer fields, a "tot lot", and trails for walking purposes. Johnson, in the Berwyn CDP, has a pavilion with toilets, basketball courts, an open field, a "tot lot", and volleyball courts.
Anthony Wayne (January 1, 1745 – December 15, 1796) was a United States Army officer and statesman. He adopted a military career at the outset of the American Revolutionary War, where his military exploits and fiery personality quickly earned him promotion to brigadier general and the nickname Mad Anthony. He served as the Senior Officer of the Army and led the Legion of the United States.
Wayne was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and he worked as a tanner and surveyor after attending the College of Philadelphia. He won election to the Pennsylvania General Assembly and helped raise a Pennsylvania militia unit in 1775. During the Revolutionary War, he served in the Invasion of Quebec, the Philadelphia campaign, and the Yorktown campaign. His reputation suffered due to his defeat in the Battle of Paoli, but he won wide praise for his leadership in the 1779 Battle of Stony Point.
After the war, Wayne settled in Georgia on land that had been granted to him for his military service. He briefly represented Georgia in the United States House of Representatives, then returned to the Army to accept command of the Northwest Indian War. His forces defeated several Indian tribes at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, and the subsequent Treaty of Greenville ended the war.
Wayne died in 1796 while on active duty. Various places and things have been named after him, including the cities of Fort Wayne, Indiana, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, Waynesboro, Virginia, and Waynesboro, Georgia, as well as Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan.Banastre Tarleton
Sir Banastre Tarleton, 1st Baronet, GCB (21 August 1754 – 15 January 1833) was a British soldier and politician. Tarleton was eventually ranked as a general years after his service in the colonies during the American Revolutionary War, and afterwards did not lead troops into battle.Tarleton's cavalrymen were called 'Tarleton's Raiders'. His green uniform was the standard uniform of the British Legion, a provincial unit organised in New York, in 1778. After returning to Great Britain in 1781 at the age of 27, Tarleton was elected a Member of Parliament for Liverpool and returned to office in the early 19th century. As such, Tarleton became a prominent Whig politician despite his young man's reputation as a roué. Given the importance of the slave trade to the British shipping industry in Liverpool, Tarleton strongly supported slavery as an economic means.Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Berwyn is a census-designated place (CDP) in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 3,631 at the 2010 census. The area is part of Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs.Devon, Pennsylvania
Devon is a census-designated place (CDP) located in Easttown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1,515 at the 2010 census. The area is part of Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs.Devon-Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Devon-Berwyn was a census-designated place (CDP) in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 5,067 at the 2000 census. For the 2010 census, the area was split into two separate CDPs, Devon and Berwyn. The area is part of Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs. Devon-Berwyn spanned two townships – Tredyffrin and Easttown, though the two current CDPs of Devon and Berwyn are only in Easttown Township.List of blacksmith shops
This is a list of blacksmith shops. This is intended to include any notable current ones operating as businesses, as well as historic ones that are operational or not. It includes numerous ones in open-air museums. Some of the historic blacksmith shops are contributing buildings in historic districts.Roughwood (Easttown Township, Pennsylvania)
Roughwood, originally known as Lamb's Tavern, is a historic home located at Devon, Easttown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania. It consists of three sections. The oldest section was built in 1819, on the foundations of an earlier log structure dated to about 1805. It is constructed of green serpentine ashlar and coated in stucco. The dining room wing was added in 1821-1822, when the house was used as a tavern. The third wing is the kitchen wing, with later service room additions. The house has a number of Federal style design details. It was extensively renovated and modernized in 1928, under the direction of architect R. Brognard Okie (1875-1945).It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Waterloo Mills Historic District
Waterloo Mills Historic District, also known as Cabbage Town, is a national historic district located in Easttown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania. It encompasses 11 contributing buildings, 1 contributing site, and 3 contributing structures in the crossroads village of Waterloo Mills. Most date to the 19th century, and are primarily built of rubble fieldstone. They include the Davis / Gallagher farmhouse (c. 1800), the Waterloo Mill (1796-1798), the wheelwright / blacksmith shop (1891), three residences (1804, c. 1820, and c. 1830), a dairy barn (c. 1890), and several outbuildings. The district properties are owned by a single owner, who placed most of the land under protective easement in 1993.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.Waynesborough
Waynesborough, also known as the Gen. Anthony Wayne House, is a historic house museum at 2049 Waynesborough Road, just south of Paoli in Easttown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania. Built in 1724 and repeatedly enlarged, it was for many years the home of American Revolutionary War general Anthony Wayne (1745-1796). A National Historic Landmark, it is now a museum operated by the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks, offering tours and event rentals.
Municipalities and communities of Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties