Eastern Park was a baseball park in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York in the 1890s. It was bounded by Eastern Parkway (which was later renamed Pitkin Avenue when Eastern Parkway was diverted) to the north (home plate); the Long Island Rail Road and Vesta Avenue (later renamed Van Sinderen Avenue) to the east (left field); Sutter Avenue to the south (center field); and Powell Street to the west (right field). The ballpark held 12,000 people.
It was originally the home of the Brooklyn Ward's Wonders of the Players' League in 1890. After the one-year Players' League experiment, the park became the part-time home of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1891 and then full-time during 1892–1897, between their stints at the two versions of Washington Park. Some sources erroneously say that it is here that the nickname "Trolley Dodgers", later shortened to "Dodgers", first arose, due to the need for fans to cross various trolley lines to reach the ballpark. Although the Dodgers played at Eastern Park in 1895 when the name "Trolley Dodgers" was first used, the name was based on the dangers of trolleys in Brooklyn, generally, and not trolley lines that needed to be crossed to get to the game. There were no trolley lines near Eastern Park at the time.
Eastern Park was considered difficult to reach, and although the team survived there for seven seasons, the venture there was a failure. When Charlie Ebbets acquired the Dodgers, he moved the team back, to the second version of Washington Park, which was both closer to the city center and offered a lower rent.
The park also hosted numerous college and amateur football games during its heyday, notably the Princeton–Yale game of 1890. There was also a track installed, and both bicycling and running races were held from time to time. It was also the home venue of the short-lived Brooklyn Bridegrooms Soccer Team in 1894. This was a spin-off of the Baseball Franchise that took part in an ill-fated attempt by six baseball franchises to fill their stadiums in the off season by running a soccer league. Brooklyn were top of the league when the uncompleted season was cancelled and play never resumed.
The 1890 Princeton Tigers football team represented Princeton University in the 1890 college football season. The team finished with an 11–1–1 record. The Tigers recorded nine shutouts and outscored opponents by a combined total of 478 to 58. The team's only loss was by a 32–0 score against Yale and they tied the Orange Athletic Club 0–0.Three Princeton players, fullback Sheppard Homans, Jr., end Ralph Warren, and guard Jesse Riggs, were consensus first-team honorees on the 1890 College Football All-America Team. In 1952, Grantland Rice paid tribute to Homans as the embodiment of the rough and tumble days of iron man football. Rice wrote: "Just as Ty Cobb represents the ball game of many years ago, this man represented the football that used to be."The 115–0 defeat of Virginia is often marked as the beginning of major college football's arrival in the South.1891 Brooklyn Grooms season
The 1891 Brooklyn Grooms (the name was shortened from "Bridegrooms" this season) started the year with real estate mogul George Chauncey purchasing a controlling interest in the ballclub to join Ferdinand Abell and Charles Byrne in the ownership group. The former owner of the Brooklyn Ward's Wonders in the now defunct Players' League, Chauncey organized a merger of his team with the Grooms, forcing the firing of manager Bill McGunnigle (despite his winning two league championships) and replacing him with former Wonders manager and shortstop, John Montgomery Ward. The new owner also thought the team could generate larger revenue from a bigger stadium, so they decided to move the team to his stadium, Eastern Park. Games would be split between the new facility and old Washington Park during the 1891 season and the team would move full-time in 1892. With all the turmoil, the team fell back into the pack, finishing the season in sixth place.1891 Princeton Tigers football team
The 1891 Princeton Tigers football team represented Princeton University in the 1891 college football season. The team finished with a 12–1 record. The Tigers recorded 12 shutouts and outscored opponents by a combined total of 391 to 0 in their first 12 games. The team's sole loss was in the final game of the season by a 19–0 score against Yale.Three Princeton players, quarterback Philip King, fullback Sheppard Homans, Jr., and guard Jesse Riggs, were consensus first-team honorees on the 1891 College Football All-America Team.Brooklyn Ward's Wonders
The Brooklyn Ward's Wonders were a baseball team who played in the Players' League in 1890. The team's nickname derived from its superstar shortstop, hall of famer John Montgomery Ward. The team finished with a 76-56 record, finishing in second place. Other notable players for Brooklyn that year were Dave Orr, Lou Bierbauer, George Van Haltren, and Gus Weyhing. The team folded after the season along with the entire league. The team played its home games at Eastern Park.Brooklyn Ward's Wonders all-time roster
The Brooklyn Ward's Wonders were a professional baseball team based in Brooklyn, New York, that played in the Players' League for one season in 1890. The franchise used Eastern Park as their home field. During their only season in existence, the team finished second in the PL with a record of 76-56.Corio Oval
Corio Oval was an Australian rules football ground, located in Geelong, Victoria and used by the Geelong Football Club in the VFA from 1878 to 1896 and the VFL from 1897 to 1940. Sited in Eastern Park, the oval was served by trams from 1930 when the line was extended along Ryrie Street to the football ground.Corio Oval had been in use as a cricket oval since 1862, when a Geelong and District XXII played an All-England XI. Several more cricket matches against international touring teams were played at the ground until 1937.In 1878, Corio Oval became the home ground of the Geelong Football Club after leaving Argyle Square, and remained there until the end of the 1940 season.
The club was forced to relocate from Corio Oval after the venue became the first major VFL ground to be used by the Army as a Military Training Camp during World War II. Kardinia Park was decided upon as a temporary replacement, the ticket boxes and turnstiles being relocated to the new venue at the start of the 1941 season. Due to the problems of travelling during the war years, the club went into recess during 1942 and 1943. At the start of the 1944 season, there was much debate over whether to return to Corio Oval. The supporters of Kardinia Park won out.
After the departure of the military, Corio Oval lay unused until 1956, when the Geelong Trotting Club held its inaugural meeting there. In the same year, the Geelong Greyhound Racing Club began to use a new track constructed inside the trotting circuit, employing a mechanical "tin hare" as the lure.In the 1970s, plans were announced for the new Australian Animal Health Laboratory to be built near Eastern Park. Because the new facility was designed to deal with highly infectious diseases, large congregations of animals could not be permitted in the vicinity, and the greyhound and trotting clubs were ordered to vacate Corio Oval. Both moved to a newly constructed complex at Beckley Park, adjacent to the Princes Highway in Corio.In 1981, the oval finally went out of existence when the surviving main grandstand was demolished and a conference centre, now owned by the Salvation Army, was constructed on the site.The attendance record for Corio Oval was set on 29 August, 1925, when 26,025 fans saw Geelong defeat Collingwood by nine points; this record for a Geelong home match was not broken until 1951.Crescent Athletic Club
The Crescent Athletic Club was an athletic club in Brooklyn. Founded by a group of Yale University alumni in 1884 as an American football club, it later expanded to include other sports, including lacrosse and basketball. The club had over 1,500 members in the early 20th century. The club's membership declined in the 20th century, and it filed for bankruptcy in 1939. The club also became an important social institution in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn, hosting plays, dinners, dances, lectures, concerts, and minstrel shows.The club fielded a football team (known as the Brooklyn Crescents) that competed with the major collegiate and non-collegiate football teams in the late 19th century, including Princeton, Yale, Penn, and the Orange Athletic Club. The team won American Football Union championships five consecutive years from 1888 to 1892. The Crescents played their football games at various locations including Washington Park and Eastern Park.
The Crescent Athletic Club House, completed in Brooklyn Heights in 1906, is now known as The Bosworth Building of Saint Ann's School. The club's papers reside with the Brooklyn Historical Society.East Geelong, Victoria
East Geelong is a residential suburb of Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
The post office opened on 6 June 1921. An earlier Post Office dating from 1871 was later renamed Moolap West.The 81-hectare Eastern Park is located in East Geelong. It is Geelong’s premier regional park and an important recreation focus for central Geelong. The Geelong Botanic Gardens are located at its centre.East Geelong has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Geelong & District Football League. Golfers play at the course of the East Geelong Golf Club at Eastern Gardens.Eastern Park Football Club
The Eastern Park Football Club is an Australian rules football club based in Elizabeth Park, South Australia that currently competes in Division 5 & Division 5 Reserves of the Adelaide Footy League while the junior teams currently compete in the SANFL Juniors competition. The club has a rivalry with the Smithfield Football Club.George Chauncey (executive)
George Chauncey was an American businessman in the later part of the 19th century. He was a native of Brooklyn, New York and a baseball fan. He got into the sport by financing the formation of a team in the Players' League of 1890 that became known as Brooklyn Ward's Wonders after Manager and Shortstop John Montgomery Ward. Chauncey also financed the construction of a stadium for the Wonders in Brownsville, called Eastern Park. The team and the league lasted only one season. In 1891, Chauncey arranged a merger of his team with the National League's Brooklyn Grooms. The deal saw him accumulate a large share of the Grooms stock and he convinced the other owners to leave their previous home at Washington Park for his facility at Eastern Park.
He also insisted that manager Bill McGunnigle, who had just won two league championships, be fired and replaced with Ward, which the other owners, desperate for his cash, agreed to.
Chancey's time as owner of the Brooklyn team came to an end in 1897 when he sold his shares in the team to the other owners Ferdinand Abell and Charles Byrne.History of the Brooklyn Dodgers
The Brooklyn Dodgers were a Major League baseball team, active primarily in the National League (founded 1876) from 1884 until 1957, after which the club moved to Los Angeles, California, where it continues its history as the Los Angeles Dodgers. The team moved west at the same time as its longtime rivals, the New York Giants, also in the National League, relocated to San Francisco in northern California as the San Francisco Giants. The team's name derived from the reputed skill of Brooklyn residents at evading the city's trolley streetcar network. The Dodgers played in two stadiums in South Brooklyn, each named Washington Park, and at Eastern Park in the neighborhood of Brownsville before moving to Ebbets Field in the neighborhood of Flatbush in 1913. The team is noted for signing Jackie Robinson in 1947 as the first black player in the modern major leagues.KFGR
KFGR (88.1 FM) is a Christian radio station licensed to Powell, Wyoming, United States. The station serves eastern Park County, Wyoming and western Big Horn County, Wyoming, and is owned by Trinity Bible Church.KFGR first came on the air in 2003, and originally broadcast on 105.3 in Powell, Wyoming as a low power station. KFGR moved to 88.1 in December 2009, with 105.3 becoming KLWR-LP.List of Yuan emperors
The following is a list of Emperors of the Yuan dynasty (1271–1368) in the eastern park of the Mongol Empire. It also contains early Mongol rulers posthumously promoted by Kublai Khan as Yuan emperors.Morphettville Park Football Club
The Morphettville Park Football Club is a sports club first formed in 1958 and initial games were against sides who had forfeits or byes. The club is mostly known for their Australian rules football team, which joined the Glenelg-South-West District Football Association A2 Division in 1959.
Other sports practised at Morphettville Park are cricket and netball.Northern Metropolitan Football League
The Northern Metropolitan Football League (NMFL) was an Australian rules football competition based in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia until it folded at the end of the 1994 season. It first formed in 1961 as the Central District Football Association, drawing from the recruiting zone of the Central District Football Club. In 1988, it was renamed the Northern Metropolitan Football League which remained its name until it folded at the end of the 1994 season.Sanssouci Park
Sanssouci Park is a large park surrounding Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam, Germany. Following the terracing of the vineyard and the completion of the palace, the surroundings were included in the structure. A baroque flower garden with lawns, flower beds, hedges and trees was created. In the hedge quarter 3,000 fruit trees were planted. The greenhouses of the numerous nurseries contained oranges, melons, peaches and bananas. The goddesses Flora and Pomona, who decorate the entrance obelisk at the eastern park exit, were placed there to highlight the connection of a flower, fruit and vegetable garden.Tarryall, Colorado
Tarryall is an unincorporated town of cabins and old buildings in eastern Park County, Colorado, United States. The town is located on Tarryall Creek in the eastern edge of the South Park, between Lake George and Jefferson.Ward No. 104, Kolkata Municipal Corporation
Ward No. 104, Kolkata Municipal Corporation is an administrative division of Kolkata Municipal Corporation in Borough No. 12, covering parts of Garfa (Bhattacharjee Para-Sen Para), Haltu (Sholak Pally-Patwari Para-Kalikapur) and Santoshpur (Naskar Para-Bagan Bari-Mondal Para-Eastern Park-New Santoshpur) neighbourhoods in South Kolkata, in the Indian state of West Bengal.Washington Park (baseball)
Washington Park was the name given to three Major League Baseball parks (or four, by some reckonings) on two different sites in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, located at Third Street and Fourth Avenue. The two sites were diagonally opposite each other at that intersection.