War Monument by renowned sculptor John A. Wilson, Dudley, Massachusetts
All was others: All will be others
|• Type||Open town meeting|
| • Board of|
|Chairman, Jonathan Ruda, Steven Sullivan, Kerry Cyganiewicz, Paul Joseph, John Marsi|
|• Total||22.1 sq mi (57.1 km2)|
|• Land||21.1 sq mi (54.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|Elevation||670 ft (204 m)|
|• Density||520/sq mi (200/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0618361|
In April 1776, on his way to New York City from Boston after his victory in the Siege of Boston, General George Washington camped in the town of Dudley with the Continental Army along what is now a portion of Route 31 near the Connecticut border. During the trip, it is rumored that a "large cache" of captured and recovered British weaponry and supplies was ordered "concealed in the grounds" in the rural area along the route. The cache, hidden to resupply reinforcements from Massachusetts or to cover a retreat from the south, were never used or recorded as having been recovered.
Union soldiers from Dudley, the 15th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, suffered heavy casualties inflicted by the Confederacy during the Battle of Gettysburg. Dudley was the primary manufacturer of "Brogan boots" worn by the Union Army and produced the majority of the standard issue Union uniforms worn during the Civil War.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 22.1 square miles (57 km2), of which 21.0 square miles (54 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), or 4.58%, is water. Dudley is bounded on the northeast by Oxford, on the north by Charlton, on the west by Southbridge, on the south by Woodstock and Thompson, Connecticut, and on the east by Webster, with which it traditionally had the closest cultural and political relations.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,036 people, 3,737 households, and 2,668 families residing in the town. The population density was 476.7 inhabitants per square mile (184.1/km2). There were 3,910 housing units at an average density of 185.7 per square mile (71.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 96.83% White, 0.23%African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.74% Asian, 0.75% from other races, and 0.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.01% of the population.
There were 3,737 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.5% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.6% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 10.6% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $48,602, and the median income for a family was $59,309. Males had a median income of $40,337 versus $27,589 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,546. About 3.1% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
|County-level state agency heads|
|Clerk of Courts:||Dennis P. McManus (D)|
|District Attorney:||Joe Early Jr. (D)|
|Register of Deeds:||Katie Toomey (D)|
|Register of Probate:||Stephanie Fattman (R)|
|County Sheriff:||Lew Evangelidis (R)|
|State Representative(s):||Peter Durant (R)|
|State Senator(s):||Ryan Fattman (R)|
|Governor's Councilor(s):||Jen Caissie (R)|
|U.S. Representative(s):||Richard E. Neal (D-1st District)|
|U.S. Senators:||Elizabeth Warren (D), Ed Markey (D)|
The public library in Dudley opened in 1897. The library has changed location a few times since then, and in the early 21st century, a new building was constructed over the site of the former town hall, which had also been relocated. In fiscal year 2008, the town of Dudley spent 1.44% ($163,468) of its budget on its public library—some $14 per person.
Dudley is the home of Nichols College, which maintains a campus on Dudley Hill, the historical center of the town. Public schools in Dudley include Mason Road School (grades Preschool-1), Dudley Elementary School (grades 2-4), Dudley Middle School (grades 5-8) and Shepherd Hill Regional High School (grades 9-12), the last of which also serves students from Charlton. All public schools in Dudley are part of the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District. Dudley is one of ten towns whose students have the option of attending Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical High School (grades 9-12).
The Black Tavern is an historic tavern at 138-142 Dudley Center Road in Dudley, Massachusetts. The main block of the tavern was built c. 1803, and is one of the town's finest examples of Federal period architecture. It originally housed a major stop on the stagecoach route between Boston, Massachusetts and Hartford, Connecticut. It is now maintained by a local preservation organization, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. In 2010 the listing was expanded to include the adjacent barn and annex, which the society acquired in 2000.Chris Lindstrom
Chris Lindstrom (born February 28, 1997) is an American football guard for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Boston College.Dudley, Massachusetts cemetery controversy
A proposal to create a Muslim cemetery by the Islamic Society of Greater Worcester on 55 acres (22 ha) of farmland in Dudley, Massachusetts elicited intense community opposition when discussed at a public hearing in February 2016. The Islamic Society sought to establish a closer burial place than Enfield, Connecticut. After a complicated process, with much back and forth between the Islamic Society and town officials, the necessary permit was issued over a year later.Henry Thielberg
Henry Thielberg (born 1833, date of death unknown) was a Union Navy sailor in the American Civil War who received the U.S. military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his actions at the Battle of Suffolk.
Born in 1833 in Germany, Thielberg gave Dudley, Massachusetts, as his home of record when he joined the Navy. He served during the Civil War as a seaman on USS Minnesota. At the Battle of Suffolk on April 14, 1863, he was temporarily assigned to USS Mount Washington as it conducted operations on the Nansemond River in Virginia. Thielberg voluntarily exposed himself to heavy fire in order to surveil the Confederate forces. For this action, he was awarded the Medal of Honor three months later on July 10, 1863.Thielberg's official Medal of Honor citation reads:
Serving temporarily on board the U.S.S. Mount Washington during the Nansemond River action, 14 April 1863. After assisting in hauling up and raising the flagstaff, Thielberg volunteered to go up on the pilothouse and observe the movements of the enemy and although 3 shells struck within a few inches of his head, remained at his post until ordered to descend.Jacob P. Chamberlain
Jacob Payson Chamberlain (August 1, 1802 – October 5, 1878) was a U.S. Representative from New York during the American Civil War.James Blood
James Harvey Blood (December 29, 1833 – December 29, 1885) was a Commander of the 6th Missouri Volunteer Infantry in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He was promoted from lieutenant colonel to colonel, and he was elected city auditor of St. Louis. He was the second husband of Victoria Woodhull, the 19th-century suffragist and activist who was the first woman to run as a candidate for President of the United States.John Stafford (baseball)
John Henry "Doc" Stafford (April 8, 1870 – July 3, 1940) was a pitcher in Major League Baseball in 1893.
Stafford attended College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, and later pitched in two games for the Cleveland Spiders in 1893. After his major league appearances, Stafford played in the minor leagues until 1898, including seasons in the New England League and the Western League. His older brother was James Joseph "General" Stafford, who played in the major leagues between 1890 and 1899.Stafford became known as "Doc" after his playing career, when he became an optometrist in his hometown of Dudley, Massachusetts. He died in 1940, aged 70; both he and his brother are buried in Calvary Cemetery in Dudley.Mauri S. Pelto
Mauri S. Pelto is a professor of environmental science at Nichols College in Dudley, Massachusetts and director of the North Cascades Glacier Climate Project.Nichols College
Nichols College is a private college in Dudley, Massachusetts. Founded in 1815 as Nichols Academy, Nichols College offers 12 concentrations in its business program and seven majors in its liberal arts program. The college offers bachelor's and master's degrees as well as certificate programs.Nora Perry (writer)
Nora Perry (1831 – May 13, 1896) was an American poet, newspaper correspondent, and writer of juvenile stories, and for some years, Boston correspondent of the Chicago Tribune. Her verse was collected in After the Ball (1875), Her Lover's Friend (1879), New Songs and Ballads (1886), Legends and Lyrics (1890). Her fiction, chiefly juvenile, included The Tragedy of the Unexpected (1880), stories; For a Woman (1885), a novel; A Book of Love Stories (1881); A Flock of Girls and their Friends (1887); The New Year's Call (1903); and many other volumes.Paul Dudley (jurist)
Paul Dudley FRS (September 3, 1675 – January 25, 1751), Attorney-General of the Province of Massachusetts Bay, was the son of colonial governor Joseph Dudley and grandson of one of the colony's founders, Thomas Dudley.Dudley was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1675. After graduating from the Roxbury Latin School and then, at the age of 15, from Harvard in 1690, he studied law at the Temple in London, and became Attorney General of Massachusetts from 1702 to 1718. He was associate justice of the province's highest court, the Superior Court of Judicature, from 1718 to 1745, and chief justice from 1745 until his death in January 1751.
He was a member of the Royal Society (London), to whose Transactions he contributed several valuable papers on the natural history of New England, as well as the founder of the Dudleian lectures on religion at Harvard University. Dudley was an investor in the Equivalent Lands. Along with his brother, William, he was the first proprietor and namesake of Dudley, Massachusetts.
Dudley died in Roxbury, and is buried in the Eliot Burying Ground next to his father and grandfather.Peter C. Bacon
Peter Child Bacon (November 11, 1804 – February 7, 1886) was an attorney who served as the third Mayor of Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.Rufus Corbin Wood
Rufus Corbin Wood (May 30, 1818-July 29, 1885) was sheriff of Norfolk County, Massachusetts from 1878 to 1885.Shepherd Hill Regional High School
Shepherd Hill Regional High School is located in Dudley, Massachusetts, USA. It is a regional high school covering the towns of Dudley and Charlton. The school is part of the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District. The principal is William F. Chaplin, Jr. Shepherd Hill has over 1200 students.Stevens Linen Works Historic District
The Stevens Linen Works Historic District encompasses a 19th-century factory complex associated with the manufacturing of linen and flax fabric in Dudley, Massachusetts. Its centerpiece is the Stevens Linen Mill, built in the 1860s by Henry Hale Stevens and operated into the mid-20th century. The mill is a large granite U-shaped building, five stories high, with two seven-story towers at the corners of the U. The complex includes ten buildings in all, as well as a mill pond and dam.The mill complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.Thompson, Connecticut
Thompson is a rural town in Windham County, Connecticut, United States. The town was named after Sir Robert Thompson, an English landholder. The population was 9,458 at the 2010 census. Thompson is located in the northeastern corner of the state and is bordered on the north by Webster, Massachusetts and Dudley, Massachusetts, on the east by Douglas, Massachusetts and Burrillville, Rhode Island, on the west by Woodstock, Connecticut, and on the south by Putnam, Connecticut.
Thompson has the highest-banked race track (Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, a 5/8 mile oval and a restored 1.7 mile road course) in New England. This speedway holds one of the biggest race programs in New England, The World Series of Auto Racing, where 16 divisions and about 400 cars show up each fall. Another claim to fame is that the Tri-State Marker is located just on the border of Thompson. The term "Swamp Yankee" is thought to have originated in Thompson during the American Revolution in 1776.
Thompson was the site of the Great East Thompson Train Wreck in 1891, one of the worst train wrecks in American history and the only one to involve four trains.WNRC-LP
WNRC-LP (97.5 FM) is a radio station licensed to serve Dudley, Massachusetts. The station is owned by Nichols College. It airs a college radio format, 24/7 in stereo.The station was assigned the WNRC-LP call letters by the Federal Communications Commission on September 1, 2005. This low-power station replaces a 15-watt class-D "full power" FM station known as WNRC that had been licensed to Nichols College; that station is now WXRB.WXRB
WXRB (95.1 FM, "The Golden 95.1") is a non-commercial, educational radio station located in Dudley, Massachusetts, licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to WXRB-FM Educational Broadcasting, Inc. (a non-profit organization). Its studios and transmitting facilities are located on the campus of Nichols College, which previously owned the station as WNRC until a stronger signal at 97.5 MHz signed on in February 2005. The college later sold the original WNRC to Peter Q. George, the station's engineer, who had been programming 95.1 after the frequency swap. WXRB transmits in stereo and with RBDS.
The station is named (in tribute) for XERB ("The Mighty 1090"), the famous 50,000-watt Mexican "Border Blaster" radio station from which famous disc jockey Wolfman Jack (Robert Weston Smith) broadcast in the mid-1960s and early 1970s. George has said that he is a lifelong fan of Wolfman Jack.
WXRB, (one of the very first non-commercial all-oldies radio stations in North America) features a 24/7 automated all-oldies format, in stereo, focusing on the years 1954-1979, similar to the original "R-KO-matic" (pronounced "ARKO-matic") automated music format at WRKO-FM and WROR (now WBZ-FM) in Boston, Massachusetts. WXRB frequently carries sports programming produced by the students at WNRC-LP, featuring the Nichols College Bison sports teams. Two traditions that continue to endure on WXRB are the yearly broadcast of Orson Welles and The Mercury Theatre On The Air's original 1938 presentation of "War Of The Worlds" every Halloween night and the yearly airing of Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" twice on Thanksgiving Day.William Whiting II
William Whiting (May 24, 1841 – January 9, 1911) was an American businessman and politician from Holyoke, Massachusetts. Whiting descended from an English family who first settled in Lynn, Massachusetts during 1636.Whiting was born in Dudley, Massachusetts, May 24, 1841. Whiting attended public schools and graduated from Amherst College.Whiting worked for the Holyoke Paper Company and the Hampden Paper Company. At the age of 17 Whiting started at the Holyoke Paper Company working first as a bookkeeper. After three years working as a clerk, Whiting became a salesman first working out of the company's main office and later working as a commercial traveling salesman. Whiting organized the Whiting Paper Company in Holyoke, Massachusetts in 1865. In 1865, Whiting built his first mill followed by another in 1872. When the Whiting Paper Company was first formed. L.L. Brown of South Adams, Massachusetts was president and Whiting was agent and treasurer. Whiting later became president and his son, William Fairfield Whiting, became treasurer. Whiting later organized the Collins Paper Company and built a paper mill in North Wilbraham, Massachusetts.In addition to his political and manufacturing careers, Whiting was a prominent philanthropist in Holyoke's history, and endowed the city with many of its secular institutions. In 1870 along with John and Edwin Chase, Whiting incorporated the Holyoke Public Library, serving as its first president. During his mayoralty Whiting privately funded the construction of the Holyoke Opera House, a venue which once hosted a wide variety of renowned Vaudeville and musical acts, as well as early motion pictures. In 1893 he led the efforts to found the Holyoke Medical Center, then known as Holyoke City Hospital, as the first non-sectarian medical institution in the city. Being a member of the Mount Tom Lodge of freemasons, his work in philanthropy was held in such regard that he would go on to have the city's second lodge named after him in 1909, an unusual honor as freemasons rarely name lodges after living persons. Following a period of declining membership and poor bookkeeping the William Whiting Lodge however had its charter suspended in 1997.
|* = population estimate. |
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
Municipalities and communities of Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|