Not to be confused with Drummuir, north east Scotland
|OS grid reference|
|• Edinburgh||110 mi (177 km)|
|• London||296 mi (476 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Drummore (drum-ORE; (from Gaelic An Druim Mòr meaning "the great ridge") is a village at the southern end of the Rhins of Galloway in Wigtownshire, Scotland: it has two satellite clachans, called Kirkmaiden and Damnaglaur. The village lies where the Kildonan Burn runs out to the sea, north of the Mull of Galloway. It is the most southerly village in Scotland, and further south than the English cities of Durham and Carlisle. It is in the Dumfries and Galloway Council area and the parish and community of Kirkmaiden and is about 16 miles (26 km) from the nearest major town, the ferry port of Stranraer. In the 2011 census, the population was 534.
Drummore shares its name with High Drummore a mile (1.6 km) up Glen Lee, and also with Drummore Glen 1⁄2 mile (800 m) to the east. The underlying name is clearly the Gaelic "druim mòr" or "big ridge", and it has been suggested that this reflected the motte associated with the castle of the Adairs of Kinhilt, whose lands were granted in 1602 by King James VI. The rather scattered incidence of related names, however, makes it more likely that the hill-ridge itself is in question, although at 90 m (300 ft) it is not all that prominent compared to the 140 m (450 ft) Muntloch Fell and Inshanks Fell to the west, or even the 76 m (250 ft) Mull of Galloway itself, 3 miles (5 km) to the south.
A branch line was proposed in 1877 linking to the Portpatrick Railway. It was opposed by the feudal landowner, the Earl of Stair, and finally abandoned after the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1882; aspects of the village's street layout still reflect plans for the railway.
The southern Rhins was an area of early Christian activity following the missionary work of Ninian across Luce Bay in the Machars. Shortly before 1860, at Low Curghie less than a mile up the coast north of Drummore, and not far from an extant standing stone, a gravestone was discovered which appeared to date to the 5th or 6th century, with a weathered Latin inscription in which the name “Ventidius” was legible along with another word which translated as “sub-deacon”. Many place-names testify to Norse influence in the southern Rhins, as in many of the west-coast islands and peninsulas, but Drummore's Gaelic name is in tune with the general use of Gaelic in Galloway after the Dark Ages until it was supplanted by English under Presbyterian influence in the 17th century.
Drummore is the largest settlement in the parish of Kirkmaiden, named after St Maiden or Medan. The parish church was originally some five miles (8 km) south of the village, but in 1638 the parishioners, citing the inconvenience of the journey to church, secured the building of a new church known as Kirk Covenant on Core Hill, about a mile west of Drummore. Following the Disruption of 1843, a new church was again built, for worshippers in the Free Church of Scotland, and this time in the village itself, in the street now known as Stair Street. Early in the 20th century the two congregations were reunited. Now worship is habitually at the church within Drummore, with one service each month in the summer being held at Kirk Covenant.
The harbour, facing north and shielded by the Rhins from the prevailing south-westerly wind, was developed with a jetty in the early 19th century to serve a lime manufacturing industry. For many years in the hands of the UK's Ministry of Defence as part of the management of their bombing range and weapon development area offshore in Luce Bay, it was taken over in 2004 for a nominal sum by the Drummore Harbour Trust Ltd, which announced the aim of developing its use for pleasure boats.
This disposal by the MoD attracted attention in the UK Parliament as a result of disputes over the rights of access to the harbour by fishermen, and a subsequent Court of Session judgement confirmed a Victorian precedent that no right of harbour existed. Failure of the Drummore Harbour Trust to widen its membership beyond the initial two individual members, or to begin its promised investment programme, caused increasing concern. However, in July 2008 the Dumfries and Galloway Council decided to seek an Empowerment Order under the Harbours Act 1964 which would enable the Council to take over the harbour land and operations, following the pattern of a number of successful harbours along the Solway coast. This was not achieved.
In 2015 the Harbour Trust became liable for a £15000 personal injury claim, and it then dissolved itself, so the harbour reverted to the Crown Estate. As of June 2018 the Drummore residents are attempting to buy the harbour, via the Kirkmaiden Community Harbour Trust.
Older residents recall a time when the main streets were full of shops, including no fewer than three bakers (one on the corner of Stair and Mill Streets). Even recently there have been significant casualties, including on Mill Street the bank, the butcher's (now wholesale only, as a result of health legislation), and the Harbour Stores (formerly the second general shop, with an additional speciality in fishing supplies).
The village’s facilities still however include the Mariners Coffee Shop, the Queen's Hotel, a post office, a volunteer tourist office and a general shop on Mill Street; a garage for repairs (no fuel); a primary school; a doctor's surgery and pharmacy; the Ship Inn on the shore; a bowling club and children’s play park; a number of holiday cottages; and two caravan sites near sandy beaches (one of them associated with another pub). The Kirkmaiden Community Council meets monthly in Drummore. Housing is mixed, ranging from listed Victorian residential and commercial properties to modern bungalows and harled council houses.
Within living memory a number of street names have changed, notably Stair Street (formerly Church Street), Mill Street (formerly Main Street) and Harbour Road (formerly Quay Road). Following a landslip in the 1960s the former Lower Road, which had brought traffic in along the coast to Shore Street, was barred to traffic. It is now a footpath, set thickly about by Japanese knotweed; in the summer of 2014 it was decorated anonymously with fairy doors.
Ardwell (from Gaelic Àrd Bhaile meaning "high town", pronounced as "Ardwell") is a village in the Scottish unitary council area of Dumfries and Galloway. It lies on the shores of Luce Bay in the southern part of the Rhins of Galloway. The A716 road to Drummore or the Mull of Galloway passes through the village. The only other street is Ardwell Park, a street of new houses.
The community is served by the nearby Ardwell Church, a small public church with a bell tower, built in 1900-1902.Many of the houses are still owned by Ardwell Estates, and Ardwell House is located around 800 metres (0.5 mi) west of the village in the grounds of Ardwell Garden and looking across Ardwell Pond.
In the grounds of Ardwell House, on a ridge above the road, are the remains of a medieval motte; the castle bailey may have stood to the north. In addition, south of the church are the ruins of Killaser Castle, the ancestral home of the McCullochs, who formerly held Ardwell., Stoneykirk, Rhinns, Wigtownshire.
Near High Ardwell, on the other side of the peninsula, are the remains of Doon Castle, the best example of an Iron Age broch in Dumfries and Galloway.Ardwell used to hold the Leek Fair, where plants were sold.Cairngaan
Cairngaan, Wigtownshire, is the southmost settlement in Scotland. The hamlet of Cairngaan lies just north of the Mull of Galloway (which contains Scotland's most southerly point, and a lighthouse, but no villages) on the B7041, after a turn-off from the B7065 road. The village is at the extreme end of the B7401. As a result of Cairngaan's southerly location, the town lies south of the English cities of Newcastle upon Tyne, Sunderland and Carlisle.
Nearby settlements include Drummore and Kirkmaiden to the near north. Around 18 miles (30 km) away is Stranraer and the ferry to Northern Ireland.Drummore (1830 ship)
Drummore was a merchant ship built at Leith, Scotland in 1830. She transported a military convict to New South Wales.Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service
Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service was the statutory fire and rescue service for the area of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It was amalgamated into the single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in 2013.Garscadden Wood
Garscadden Wood lies to the north of Drumchapel on the outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland. It is known locally as the Bluebell Woods. The wood can be accessed via Peel Glen Road in the west, Chesters Road in the east. It is bordered by Bearsden Golf Course to the north, and Drummore Road to the south.
grid reference NS529720HMS Pagham (M2716)
HMS Pagham was one of 93 ships of the Ham-class of inshore minesweepers.
Their names were all chosen from villages ending in -ham. The minesweeper was named after Pagham in West Sussex.
In 1978 she was loaned to the Stranraer Sea Cadet Unit, and formally given to them on 1 May 1999. After the closure of the Stranraer Sea Cadet unit the MOD/SCC sold her for a nominal fee to a private owner who stripped her of reclaimable parts. In March 2008 she lies part stripped of usable parts and with a significant list in Drummore harbour, near Stranraer.Hew Dalrymple, Lord North Berwick
Sir Hew Dalrymple, Lord North Berwick (1652–1737) was a Scottish judge and politician.
The third son of James Dalrymple, 1st Viscount of Stair, he was Commissary of Edinburgh; Commissioner to the Parliament of Scotland for New Galloway burgh from 1690, and for North Berwick burgh from 1702. His two elder brothers were John Dalrymple, 1st Earl of Stair and Sir James Dalrymple, 1st Baronet of Cranstoun and a younger brother was Sir David Dalrymple, 1st Baronet of Hailes.
Dalrymple was Dean of the Faculty of Advocates from 1695. He was created a baronet in the baronetage of Nova Scotia in 1698 and succeeded his father in the same year as Lord President of the Court of Session, taking the judicial title Lord North Berwick. He held this post until his death. He was a Commissioner for the articles of union between England and Scotland in 1702 and 1703. He planted the Act of Union Beech trees to commemorate the event and six of these survive to this day (2009).In 1699 Dalrymple bought the barony and Castle of Tantallon from James Douglas, 2nd Marquess of Douglas, but allowed the castle to fall into further ruin.He married twice, to Marion Hamilton and Elizabeth Dundas and had a large family. His second son Sir Hew Dalrymple (1690-1755) became a Lord of Session as Lord Drummore.
He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his grandson Sir Hew Dalrymple, 2nd Baronet of Castleton, his eldest son Sir Robert Dalrymple having predeceased him in 1734.Kirkmaiden
Kirkmaiden is a parish in the Rinns of Galloway, the most southerly in Scotland; the present Church of Scotland parish has the same name as and is approximately coterminous with the original pre-Reformation parish.
It is named after the mediaeval St Medan, whose identity, name, sex and origin are all disputed. The name "Kirkmaiden" itself is thought to be a corruption of a purer Gaelic "Kilmaiden" by either Scandinavians or Angles with a knowledge of Gaelic.It is also the area and name of a community council, which meets generally in Drummore and occasionally in Port Logan.List of listed buildings in Killean And Kilchenzie, Argyll and Bute
This is a list of listed buildings in the parish of Killean And Kilchenzie in Argyll and Bute, Scotland.List of listed buildings in Kirkmaiden, Dumfries and Galloway
This is a list of listed buildings in the civil parish of Kirkmaiden, in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.List of listed buildings in Lochrutton, Dumfries and Galloway
This is a list of listed buildings in the civil parish of Lochrutton, in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.List of listed buildings in Penpont, Dumfries and Galloway
This is a list of listed buildings in the civil parish of Penpont in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.List of listed buildings in Prestonpans, East Lothian
This is a list of listed buildings in the parish of Prestonpans in East Lothian, Scotland.List of places in Dumfries and Galloway
Map of places in Dumfries and Galloway compiled from this listThis List of places in Dumfries and Galloway is a list of links for any town, village, hamlet, castle, golf course, historic house, hill fort, lighthouse, nature reserve, reservoir, river, loch, and other place of interest in the Dumfries and Galloway council area of Scotland.List of places in East Lothian
Map of places in East Lothian compiled from this listThe List of places in East Lothian is a list for any town, village, hamlet, castle, golf course, historic house, hill fort, lighthouse, nature reserve, reservoir, river, and other place of interest in the East Lothian council area of Scotland.Luce Bay
Luce Bay is a large bay in Wigtownshire in southern Scotland. The bay is 20 miles wide at its mouth and is bounded by the Rhins of Galloway to the west and the Machars to the east.Rhins of Galloway
The Rhins of Galloway, otherwise known as the Rhins of Wigtownshire (or as The Rhins, also spelt The Rhinns; Scottish Gaelic: Na Rannaibh), is a hammer-head peninsula in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Stretching more than 25 miles (40 km) from north to south, its southern tip is the Mull of Galloway, the southernmost point of Scotland.The principal settlements are Stranraer at the head of Loch Ryan and the small tourist village of Portpatrick on the west coast, other villages are dotted up and down the peninsula, including Kirkcolm, Leswalt, Lochans, and in the South Rhins; Stoneykirk, Sandhead, Ardwell and Drummore.
Herbert Maxwell defines "Rhinns" as rionn, rinn, meaning a point or promontory.Stoneykirk
Stoneykirk is an area and a village in the heart of the Rhins of Galloway, Wigtownshire, in the District Council Region of Dumfries and Galloway south west Scotland nearly ten miles in length and three and a half miles in breadth, bounded on the east by the bay of Luce, and on the west by the Irish Channel, 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Stranraer.
The area is about 21,500 acres, of which 19,000 are arable, 375 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, whereof 1,100 might be reclaimed, moorland.Stoneykirk has a community council Knockinaam Lodge, Port Spittal, Stoneykirk, because of its remoteness was the location for a secret meeting between Sir Winston Churchill and General Eisenhower during the Second World War to discuss the D-Day plans.
The A716 runs through part of the village, and a local coach firm, McCulloch's Coaches, is based in the village
James King 407 Service provides a bus link north to Stranraer and south to Sandhead and Drummore Sandhead overlooks Luce Bay that was used for landing lime and coal.Wigtownshire
Wigtownshire or the County of Wigtown (Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Bhaile na h-Ùige, Scots: Wigtounshire) is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area in south-west Scotland. Until 1975, Wigtownshire was one of the administrative counties used for local government purposes, and is now administered as part of the council area of Dumfries and Galloway. As a lieutenancy area, Wigtownshire has its own Lord Lieutenant, currently John Alexander Ross. In the 19th century, it was also called West Galloway (Scottish Gaelic: Gallobha-an-iar). The county town was historically Wigtown, with the administrative centre moving to Stranraer, the largest town, on the creation of a county council in 1890.