The rural district was created by the Local Government Act 1894 as successor to the Doncaster Rural Sanitary District. It consisted of an area surrounding, but not including, the town of Doncaster. Doncaster itself formed a separate municipal borough (from 1927 a county borough). The district underwent a number of boundary changes over its existence due to the expansion of Doncaster and the growth of a number of other towns.
Doncaster Rural District Council were granted armorial bearings on 30 October 1947.
|• 1901||90,373 acres (366 km2)|
|• 1931||77,865 acres (315 km2)|
|• 1961||75,094 acres (304 km2)|
|• Succeeded by||Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster|
|• HQ||Netherhall, Doncaster|
Over its existence the rural district consisted of the following civil parishes:
|Adwick le Street||Constituted an urban district in 1915|
|Adwick upon Dearne|
|Auckley||Partly in Nottinghamshire until 1895|
|Balby with Hexthorpe||Constituted an urban district in 1895|
|Barnbrough||Renamed Barnburgh in 1951|
|Barnby upon Don||Merged with Kirk Sandall parish 1921|
|Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall||Formed 1921 from union of parishes of Barnby upon Don and Kirk Sandall.|
The area of Edenthorpe was
constituted a separate parish in 1956.
|Bentley with Arksey||Constituted an urban district in 1911|
|Bilham||Absorbed by Hootton Pagnell parish in 1920|
|Bolton upon Dearne||Constituted an urban district in 1899|
|Carr House and Elm Field||Absorbed by Doncaster MB in 1914|
|Clayton with Frickley|
|Conisbrough||Majority of parish constituted an urban district in 1921, remainder became new parish of Conisbrough Parks|
|Conisbrough Parks||Formed 1921 form the part of Conisbrough parish not created an urban district|
|Edenthorpe||Created 1956 from part of Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall parish|
|Hooton Pagnell||Absorbed Stotfold and Bilham parishes in 1920|
|Kirk Sandall||Merged with Barnby upon Don parish to form Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall in 1921|
|Norton||Absorbed Sutton parish in 1938|
|Skellow||Formed part of newly constituted Adwick le Street Urban District in 1915|
|Stotfold||Absorbed by Hootton Pagnell parish in 1920|
|Sutton||Absorbed by Norton parish in 1938|
|Thorpe in Balne|
|Thurnscoe||Constituted an urban district in 1908|
|Tickhill Outer||Absorbed by Tickhill Urban District in 1895|
|Wheatley||Constituted an urban district in 1900|
On 1 April 1974 the Local Government Act 1972 came into effect, reorganising administrative areas throughout England and Wales. The rural district was abolished, and its area merged with the County Borough of Doncaster and a number of other districts to form the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, part of the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire.
The King's Birthday Honours 1942 were appointments by King George VI to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by members of the British Empire. They were published on 5 June 1942 for the United Kingdom and Canada.The recipients of honours are displayed here as they were styled before their new honour, and arranged by honour, with classes (Knight, Knight Grand Cross, etc.) and then divisions (Military, Civil, etc.) as appropriate.1957 Birthday Honours
The Queen's Birthday Honours 1957 were appointments in many of the Commonwealth realms of Queen Elizabeth II to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by citizens of those countries.
The appointments were made to celebrate the official birthday of The Queen, and were published on 4 June 1957 for the United Kingdom and Colonies, Australia, New Zealand, and to members of the British Armed Forces in recognition of distinguished and gallant services in the Operations in the Near East, October–December 1956.The recipients of honours are displayed here as they were styled before their new honour, and arranged by honour, with classes (Knight, Knight Grand Cross, etc.) and then divisions (Military, Civil, etc.) as appropriate.Bolton upon Dearne
Bolton upon Dearne is a small village in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, in the part of the Dearne Valley through which the River Dearne passes. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is approximately 7 miles (11 km) east of Barnsley, 10 miles (16 km) west of Doncaster and 8 miles (13 km) north of Rotherham.
Bolton upon Dearne was an ancient parish. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as being under the Manor of Bolton-upon-Dearne with Goldthorpe, which was once owned by Roger de Busli.In the early 18th century Barnsley attorney William Henry Marsden Esquire of nearby Burntwood Hall bought the Lord of the Manor of Bolton on Dearne with Goldthorpe for £10,000 together with over 1,000 acres (4 km²) of land. Bolton upon Dearne along with Goldthorpe is recorded in the 1761–1767 Inclosure Awards. The Marsden family continued to hold the Manor until 1815.
It became part of Doncaster Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894 until 1899, when it became a separate urban district in its own right. Bolton upon Dearne Urban District was abolished in 1937 under a County Review Order, becoming part of a large Dearne Urban District, along with Thurnscoe and part of Barnburgh parish. At the 2011 Census the village had become part of the Dearne South Ward of the Barnsley Metropolitan Council which had a recorded population of 6,744.The village is served by Bolton-on-Dearne railway station.There are three primary schools in the village: Carrfield School, Heather Garth Primary School and Lacewood. The main secondary school in the area is Dearne Advanced Learning Centre, which caters for around 1,200 pupils aged 11 to 16 years.
The Church of St Andrew the Apostle is situated on the corner of High Street and Angel Street. It was a 10th-century church with alterations made throughout the centuries. There is a Methodist Church on Furlong Road which was founded in 1832. There was formerly a Roman Catholic church on Station Road, but this closed in the late 1980s, and became an electrical goods shop.Civil parishes in South Yorkshire
A civil parish is a country subdivision, forming the lowest unit of local government in England. There are 93 civil parishes in the ceremonial county of South Yorkshire, most of the county being unparished. At the 2001 census, there were 360,191 people living in the 93 parishes, increasing to 369,220 in 2011, accounting for 27.5 per cent of the county's population.Cusworth Hall
Cusworth Hall is an 18th-century Grade I listed country house in Cusworth, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire in the north of England. Set in the landscaped parklands of Cusworth Park, Cusworth Hall is a good example of a Georgian country house. It is now a country house museum.
The house is constructed of ashlar with slate roofs. The rectangular 6 x 5 bay plan main block is linked to 5 x 2 bay service wings.Edlington
Edlington is a town and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, lying to the south west of Doncaster and Warmsworth. It has a population of 8,276. The original parish town of Edlington is now known as Old Edlington; adjacent, and to the north, is New Edlington. It is often referred to by locals as 'Edlo'.
Since 1974 Edlington has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire. It had, since 1894, formed part of Doncaster Rural District in the West Riding of Yorkshire.Ernest Jones (trade unionist)
William Ernest Jones, CBE (14 April 1895–19 July 1973) was a British trade unionist.
Jones worked from the age of 13, initially repairing boots, then as a coal miner in Derbyshire. In 1918, he transferred to Rossington Colliery in southern Yorkshire, where he became active in the Yorkshire Miners' Association (YMA). He was elected to Doncaster Rural District Council for the Labour Party in 1924, then as checkweighman in 1926, and to the West Riding of Yorkshire County Council in 1928.In 1939, Jones won election as general secretary of the YMA, and for part of World War II he served as Regional Labour Director for the Ministry of Fuel and Power. In 1950, he became Vice-President of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), and also gained a seat on the General Council of the Trades Union Congress. In 1954, he was elected President of the NUM, serving until his retirement in 1960. He was also Secretary of the Miners' International Federation from 1957 to 1960. In retirement, he served on the National Savings Committee. In 1961, he was appointed a CBE.Hemsworth Rural District
Hemsworth was, from 1894 to 1974, a rural district in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England.List of rural and urban districts in England in 1973
This is a list of all the rural districts, urban districts and municipal boroughs in England as they existed prior to the entry into force of the Local Government Act 1972 on 1 April 1974. There were 1086 such districts and boroughs at this time, the result of a gradual consolidation since their formation in 1894. Apart from these, England also had 79 county boroughs.Local Government Commission for England (1958–1967)
The Local Government Commission for England was established by the Local Government Act 1958 to review the organisation of local government, and make "such proposals as are hereinafter authorised for effecting changes appearing to the Commissions desirable in the interests of effective and convenient local government". The Act also provided for a Local Government Commission for Wales.Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster
The Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire in Yorkshire and the Humber Region of England.
In addition to the town of Doncaster, the borough covers the towns of Mexborough, Conisbrough, Thorne, Bawtry and Tickhill.
The borough was created on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the former county borough of Doncaster along with the urban districts of Adwick le Street, Bentley with Arksey, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Tickhill along with Doncaster Rural District and Thorne Rural District, the parish of Finningley from East Retford Rural District and small parts of the parish of Harworth from Worksop Rural District from Nottinghamshire.Nether Hall, Doncaster
Nether Hall is a large mansion in Doncaster. It is a Grade II listed building.River Idle
The River Idle is a river in Nottinghamshire, England. Its source is the confluence of the River Maun and River Meden, near Markham Moor. From there, it flows north through Retford and Bawtry before entering the River Trent at Stockwith near Misterton. The county boundary with South Yorkshire follows the river for a short distance near Bawtry, and the border with Lincolnshire does the same at Idle Stop. Originally, it flowed northwards from Idle Stop to meet the River Don on Hatfield Chase, but was diverted eastwards by drainage engineers in 1628.
Most of the land surrounding the river is a broad flood plain. Between Retford and Bawtry, the floodplain is partly occupied by a number of sand and gravel pits, where exhausted forming public lakes for fishing, while beyond Bawtry, the river is constrained by high flood banks, to allow the low-lying areas to be drained for agriculture. Its main tributaries are the River Poulter and the River Ryton.
The river is navigable to Bawtry, and there is a statutory right of navigation as far upstream as East Retford, although access to the river through the entrance sluices is very expensive. Its drainage functions are managed by the Environment Agency, but there is no navigation authority. The river is important for conservation, with the Idle Washlands and some of the sand and gravel pits of the Idle Valley being designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest.