In classical architecture, Distyle in antis denotes a temple with the side walls extending to the front of the porch and terminating with two antae, the pediment being supported by two pilasters or sometimes caryatids. This is the earliest type of temple structure in the ancient Greek world. An example is the Siphnian Treasury in Delphi, built in the 6th century BCE, around 525 BCE.
Adams Grove Presbyterian Church is a historic Greek Revival-style church building in rural Dallas County, Alabama, near the community of Sardis. Built in 1853, it features a distyle-in-antis type portico with box columns. No longer actively used by a church congregation, the building is now privately owned. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 5, 1986.Anta (architecture)
An anta (pl. antæ, antae, antas) (Latin, possibly from ante, 'before' or 'in front of'), or sometimes parastas (pl. parastades) is an architectural term describing the posts or pillars on either side of a doorway or entrance of a Greek temple - the slightly projecting piers which terminate the walls of the naos. It differs from the pilaster, which is purely decorative, and does not have the structural support function of the anta.Antae temple
An Antae Temple, also a Distyle in antis Temple, is a special name given to a type of ancient Greek or Roman temple that has side walls that extend to form a porch at the front or rear (or both) and terminated in structural pillars that were called the antae. If columns were placed in advance of the walls or antae, the temple was termed prostyle and if columns surrounded the temple it was termed peripteral.Distyle
A Distyle is a small temple-like structure with two columns. By extension a Distyle can also mean a Distyle in antis, the original design of the Greek temple, where two columns are set between two antae.First Presbyterian Church of Wapakoneta
The First Presbyterian Church of Wapakoneta is a historic former church building in downtown Wapakoneta, Ohio, United States. A small brick building located along Main Street west of the Auglaize County Courthouse, it is the oldest Protestant church building in Auglaize County and the oldest church building of any faith in the city of Wapakoneta. It is historically significant as west-central Ohio's only example of Greek Revival architecture with distyle in antis construction, in which two columns are located in the opening between pilasters.Organized in 1860, the congregation included many of Auglaize County's leading citizens. Unlike the majority German population of the county, the Presbyterians were primarily immigrants from East Coast states such as Virginia and New York. The congregation was greatly reduced by a financial scandal in the 1920s; reduced to a handful of members, it was disorganized in 1930 and its property sold. After it passed into the possession of the Wapakoneta Women's Club in that year, it served as the clubhouse until 1997, when it was purchased by the Auglaize County Historical Society. Since that time, the church has been converted into the Wapakoneta Museum by the society.In 1985, the church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Key to this honor was its unusual architecture and its connection to the leading members of Auglaize County society during the congregation's heyday.Henry Kahl House
The Henry Kahl House is a historic building located on a bluff overlooking the West End of Davenport, Iowa, United States. What was a private residence was converted into a nursing home in 1955, and a senior apartment facility in 2016. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Huron County Courthouse and Jail
The Huron County Courthouse and Jail is located by a busy downtown intersection in Norwalk, Ohio, United States. The ground floor is composed of rusticated blocks and recessed arched windows. The entrance is reached by a flight of stairs and a protruding portico. Two small windows frame either side of the entrance.
The county's first courthouse and jail were completed in 1819, occupying the site of the present buildings; two later courthouses and one later jail were constructed on the same site before giving way to its present occupants. Both buildings are masonry, the courthouse being a stone Neo-Renaissance structure, and the sheriff's-residence-and-jail being a brick Queen Anne building. A central tower distinguishes the courthouse from the surrounding commercial district, while smaller architectural features include columns in the form known as distyle in antis. Typical of its style, the jail lacks a uniform shape, its roof reflecting the asymmetrical floor plan. Pilasters divide the facade of the courthouse into five bays, and the side into ten, while a prominent belt course divides the first and second stories. A large clock is set into the tower, with a pillared cupola set above. Behind the courthouse, the jail is distinguished by the steep conical roof covering its two-story tower; while the base of the roof sits at the same level as the middle of the courthouse's second-story windows, the conical roof rises well above the courthouse roof.In 1974, the courthouse and jail were listed together on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district, one of six National Register-listed locations in the city of Norwalk and one of seventeen countywide.Joplin Carnegie Library
The Joplin Carnegie Library is a historic Carnegie library located at Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri. It was built in 1902, and is a two-story, Classical Revival style steel frame building sheathed in brick and white Carthage marble. It measures 79 feet by 86 feet and features a pedimented Ionic order porch which is distyle in antis. A four-bay two story addition was added in 1916. Andrew Carnegie provided $40,000 for its construction.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.Kinston Baptist-White Rock Presbyterian Church
Kinston Baptist-White Rock Presbyterian Church is a historic Presbyterian and Baptist church building located at 516 Thompson Street in Kinston, Lenoir County, North Carolina. It was built in 1857-1858, and is a rectangular, temple-form Greek Revival style frame building with a pedimented front gable roof. It features a bold distyle in antis portico with enclosed end bays. The church was built for the Kinston Baptist Church and moved to its present (third) location in 1901 after its purchase by an African-American Presbyterian congregation (White Rock Church) which it has served since that time.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.Lafayette County Courthouse (Wisconsin)
The Lafayette County Courthouse is a Neoclassical building constructed in Darlington, Wisconsin in 1905. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.An earlier county courthouse stood on the southeast corner of the same lot since 1861 - a three-story stone building. By 1900 more space was needed. Matt Murphy of Benton, Wisconsin was the remaining trustee of a fund to care for widows and others affected by the Civil War. The fund was not needed after the federal government took responsibility for those affected by the war, and after exploring other options, Murphy dedicated it to help build the new 1905 courthouse. Along with the Civil War survivors' fund, Murphy gave 70% of his own estate to the county for a courthouse. Ultimately, the cost of building the courthouse was more than $136,000. It is the only county courthouse in the United States to be fully funded by one person.The building was designed in Neoclassical style by Menno S. Detweiler and Frank W. Kinney of Minneapolis. The main block of the building is three stories tall, clad in buff limestone, with rusticated quoins. The main entrance protrudes as a distyle in antis Greek temple form, with a relief sculpture of Matt Murphy in the pediment. The roof is hipped. From the center rises the cupola. The first stage has Ionic columns between windows topped with clock faces. The second stage of the cupola is octagonal, topped with copper.Inside, light from a skylight in the cupola illuminates the center of the building, with marble wainscoting, hexagonal tiles, arches, and murals depicting Justice, Equality, Courage and Liberty.Liberty Hall (Camden, Alabama)
Liberty Hall, also known as John Robert McDowell Place, is a historic plantation house near Camden, Alabama. The two-story Greek Revival style main house was built in 1855 for John Robert McDowell by W.W. Robinson. The two-story front portico features two central Ionic columns flanked by a square column to each side, reminiscent of a distyle-in-antis arrangement. The floor plan is centered on a broad hall that separates four large, equally proportioned rooms on both levels. The formal rooms and hall on the lower level have elaborate plasterwork that was designed, in part, by Harriet McDowell, wife of John Robert McDowell. The house is currently owned by the great-granddaughter of the original owner. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 5, 1984.Ola Babcock Miller Building
The Ola Babcock Miller Building, also known as the State Library of Iowa, is an historic building located in Des Moines, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as the Iowa State Historical Building.Old Bank of Louisville
The Old Bank of Louisville is a National Historic Landmark in Louisville, Kentucky. Completed in 1837, it was made of brick and limestone. Of United States small-scale commercial architecture, it is considered one of the most sophisticated. The narrow downtown lot saw classical idioms adapted to it. Its monumental distyle-in-antis doorway is particularly notable.
It was originally thought to be designed by Gideon Shryock, but instead was designed by James H. Dakin. Shryock was construction superintendent for the project.
The Kentucky General Assembly had the bank chartered in 1832.It currently serves as the lobby for the Actors Theatre of Louisville.Palaestra at Olympia
The palaestra at Olympia is an ancient edifice in Olympia, Greece, part of the gymnasium at the sanctuary. It is a sixty-six metre by sixty-six metre, or 4345 metre square building that dates to the end of the 3rd or beginning of the 2nd century BC.
It is thought to be a building in ancient Greece that was devoted to the training of wrestlers and other athletes.Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church
The Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church, originally known as Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church, is a historic Greek Revival church in Pleasant Hill, Alabama. The current structure was built between 1851 and 1852. It features a distyle-in-antis type portico with simple box columns, a bell tower topped by a small domed cupola, and a second-floor balcony around three sides of the interior. It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on the November 2, 1990 and on the National Register of Historic Places on April 22, 1999.Shipley Art Gallery
The Shipley Art Gallery is an art gallery in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England, located at the south end of Prince Consort Road. It has a Designated Collection of national importance.Solvay Public Library
The Solvay Public Library is a historic Carnegie library building located at Solvay, New York, Onondaga County, New York. It was built between 1903 and 1905, and is a one-story, buff-colored brick building on a high basement. It has a hipped roof and Classical Revival style design elements including a distyle-in-antis portico in the Ionic order. It was built in part with a $10,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.It was renovated in recent years with focus on preserving and restoring historically accurate details.Treasury of Cyrene
The Treasury of Cyrene (Treasury of the Cyreneans) was a building in the Temple of Apollo in Delphi. The treasury was possibly built as a token of gratitude for a large endowment of wheat offered to Delphi's inhabitants during a lean period.Washington Firehouse No. 5
Washington Firehouse No. 5, also known as Fire Station No. 5, is a historic fire station in Mobile, Alabama, United States. The two-story brick Greek Revival building was built in 1851 at a cost of $5,500. It was constructed to house the privately run Washington Fire Company. The building features a Doric distyle-in-antis arrangement at the street level supporting an upper story with jib windows opening onto a cantilevered iron balcony. The building was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1983.