The District Municipality of Muskoka, more generally referred to as the District of Muskoka or Muskoka, is a regional municipality in Central Ontario, Canada. Muskoka extends from Georgian Bay in the west, to the northern tip of Lake Couchiching in the south, to the western border of Algonquin Provincial Park in the east. A two-hour drive north of Toronto, Muskoka spans 6,475 km2 (2,500 sq mi). Muskoka has some 1,600 lakes, making it a popular cottaging destination.
This region, which, along with Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes, and Peterborough County is referred to as "cottage country", sees over 2.1 million visitors annually. Muskoka is an area populated with several villages and towns, farming communities, and lakeside vacation hotels and resorts near to golf courses, country clubs, and marinas. The regional government seat is Bracebridge and the largest population centre is Huntsville.
Muskoka is a summer destination for Toronto residents and was the #1 most searched Canadian destination for vacation rentals in 2017. The Muskoka region was also ranked #1 for best trips of 2011 by National Geographic, and was a finalist for the same distinction in 2012.
The name of the municipality derives from a First Nations chief of the 1850s. Lake Muskoka was then the hunting grounds of a troop led by Chief Yellowhead or Mesqua Ukie or Musquakie. He was revered by the government, who built a home for him in Orillia where he lived until his death at the age of 95.
Muskoka has 60,000 permanent residents, but an additional 100,000 seasonal property owners spend their summers in the region every year, making this a major summer colony. Due to the regions' popularity and high property costs, hundreds of Muskoka properties are available to rent short-term through platforms like CanadaStays.
Many of Muskoka's seasonal properties are large mansion-like summer estates, some of which have been passed down through families from generation to generation. Most of these expensive properties can be found along the shores of Muskoka's three major lakes: Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau, and Lake Joseph. In recent years, various Hollywood and sports stars have built retreats in Muskoka, including Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Mike Weir, Martin Short, Harry Hamlin, Cindy Crawford, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.
The soap opera Paradise Falls, about a fictitious cottage community, was shot partly on location here, to take advantage of the scenic background. Many summer camps are in the region to take advantage of the lakes, which offer opportunities for canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, waterskiing, and other water activities. The area provides a refuge from hot cities during the summer months.
District of Muskoka
|District Municipality of Muskoka|
Peninsula Lake, near Huntsville in Muskoka
Map showing Muskoka District Municipality location in Ontario
|Territorial District of Muskoka||1868|
|Municipality of the District of Muskoka||1873|
|Provisional Judicial District of Muskoka||1899|
|District Municipality of Muskoka||1971|
| • Chair|
|• Land||3,937.76 km2 (1,520.38 sq mi)|
|• Density||15.4/km2 (40/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern (EDT))|
There are six municipalities in Muskoka (in order of population):
Geography drove history in the Muskoka region. Studded with lakes and rocks, the good land offered an abundance of fishing, hunting, and trapping, but was poorly suited to farming. Largely the land of the Ojibwa people, European inhabitants ignored it while settling what they thought were the more promising area south of the Severn River. The Ojibwa leader associated with the area was "Mesqua Ukie", for whom the land is believed named, as he was liked by the European Canadians. The tribe lived south of the region, near present-day Orillia. They used Muskoka as their hunting grounds. Another Ojibwa tribe lived in the area of Port Carling, then called "Obajewanung". The tribe moved to Parry Sound around 1866.
In the present day, Muskoka contains four First Nations reserves:
Until the late 1760s, the European presence in the region was largely limited to seasonal fur trappers, but no significant trading settlements were established. Following the American War of Independence, the British North America government feared invasion from its new neighbour to the south. The authorities began exploring the region, hoping to develop a settled population and find travel lanes between Lake Ontario and Georgian Bay. In 1826, Lieutenant Henry Briscoe became the first European man known to have crossed the middle of Muskoka. The explorer David Thompson drew the first maps of the area in 1837 and possibly camped near present-day Beaumaris.
Canada experienced heavy immigration from Europe in the 19th century, and Muskoka was no different. Large numbers of settlers from the United Kingdom, and to a lesser extent, Germany began to arrive. As the land south of the Severn was settled, the government planned to open the Muskoka region further north to settlement. Logging licences were issued in 1866 which opened Monck Township to logging.
The lumber industry expanded rapidly, denuding huge tracts of the area. Road and water transportation was developed and used later to facilitate town settlement. Road transportation took the form of the Muskoka Colonization Road, begun in 1858 and reaching Bracebridge in 1861. The road was roughly cut through from the woods and was of corduroy construction. Logs were placed perpendicular to the route of travel to keep carriages from sinking in the mud and swamps. This made for extremely rugged travel.
The railroad pushed north to support the industry, reaching Gravenhurst in 1875 and Bracebridge in 1885. The lumbering industry spawned a number of ancillary developments, with settlements springing up to supply the workers. Bracebridge (formerly North Falls) saw some leather-tanning businesses develop. Tanners used the bark from lumber to tan hides, turning what would otherwise be a waste product to effective use.
together with the unorganized territory lying between the southern boundary of Humphrey and the Severn River, bounded on the west by the western boundary of Humphrey extended southerly to the Severn River
|District of Nipissing||such unorganized territory as determined by proclamation|
The townships of Stisted, Chaffey, Franklin and Ridout (all from Victoria County) were transferred to the District in 1873, while Humphrey Township was transferred to the Parry Sound District. In 1876, the boundaries of the District were formally defined by statute:
Although the townships were part of the District, they were still allied with their original counties for municipal purposes. This was rectified in 1877, when all of the District was declared to be within Simcoe County. This lasted until 1888, when it was separated from that County.
The passage of the Free Grants and Homestead Act of 1868, opened the era of widespread settlement to Muskoka. Settlers could receive free land if they agreed to clear the land, have at least 15 acres (6.1 ha) under cultivation, and build a 16x20 ft, or 320-square-foot (30 m2) house. Settlers under the Homestead Act, however, found the going hard. Clearing 15 acres of dense forest is a huge task. Once the land was clear, the settlers had to attack Muskoka's ubiquitous rocks, which also had to be cleared. Consisting largely of a dense clay, the soil in the region turned out to be poorly suited to farming.
As news of the difficult conditions spread back to the south, development in Muskoka began to falter, but development of the steamship revived industry. In a time when the railroads had not yet arrived and road travel was notoriously unreliable and uncomfortable, the transportation king was the steamship. Once a land connection was made to the southern part of the lake in Gravenhurst, the logging companies could harvest trees along the entire lakefront with relative ease. Steamships gave them the way to ship the harvest back to the sawmills in Gravenhurst.
|Baxter||Named for the Honourable Jacob Baxter, MPP for Haldimand County, Ontario from 1887 to 1898 and Speaker of the Ontario Legislature from 1887 to 1891.|
|Brunel||Named for noted civil engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Engineer-in-Chief to the Great Western Railway of England. Known in Canada for constructing the steamship Great Western.|
|Cardwell||Named for Viscount Cardwell, Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1864 to 1866.|
|Chaffey||Named for a brother-in-law of Hon. Stephen Richards, Benjamin Chaffey, a Brockville contractor who helped build the St. Lawrence canals.|
|Draper||Named for judge William Henry Draper, Solicitor General of Upper Canada in 1837 and Attorney General of Upper Canada in 1840.|
|Franklin||Named for Arctic explorer Admiral Sir John Franklin.|
|Freeman||Named for John Bailey Freeman, MPP for the North riding of Norfolk County from 1879 to 1890.|
|Gibson||Named for Thomas Gibson, MPP for Huron from 1867 to 1898.|
|Macaulay||Named for Chief Justice of the Common Pleas Sir James Buchanan Macaulay (1793–1859), veteran of the War of 1812.|
|McLean||Named for Archibald McLean (1791–1865), a veteran of the War of 1812, he became Chief Justice of Upper Canada.|
|Medora||Named for Mrs. Medora Cameron, wife of a Toronto lawyer. She was also a niece of Hon. Stephen Richards, Commissioner of Crown Lands, hence the honour she received.|
|Monck||Named for Viscount Monck, Lord of the Treasury in the Palmerston government in the United Kingdom from 1855 to 1857, and Governor-General of British North America from 1861 to 1868.|
|Morrison||Named for Angus Morrison who represented the North riding of Simcoe County from 1854 to 1863. Morrison was also a director of the old Northern Railway of Canada, Muskoka's pioneer railway, the terminus of which was Gravenhurst. Morrison was also Mayor of Toronto from 1876 to 1878.|
|Muskoka||The township, district and lake are named for Musquakie, one of the principal Chiefs of the Chippawa Nation. In 1815 he signed the treaty under which the Indian title to a vast territory was surrendered to the Crown. The name means "Red Ground".|
|Oakley||Named for one (which one is uncertain) of 13 villages of the name in Great Britain, 12 of which are in England, one in Scotland.|
|Ridout||Named for the Ridout family, a very prominent Toronto family. They came from Sherborne in Dorsetshire, England, hence the name of Sherborne Township in Haliburton County, which adjoined Ridout Township on the east and hence also Dorset, a village in the township. Thomas Ridout was Surveyor-General of Upper Canada.|
|Ryde||Named for the town of Ryde on the Isle of Wight.|
|Sinclair||Named for Donald Sinclair, MPP for the North Riding of Bruce County from 1867 to 1883.|
|Stephenson||Named for Robert Stephenson, son of George Stephenson of locomotive fame, Robert Stephenson designed the Victoria Tubular Bridge at Montreal, then the greatest Canadian bridge.|
|Stisted||Named for Major General Henry William Stisted, Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario from Confederation, July 1, 1867 to 1868.|
|Watt||Named for James Watt of steam engine fame.|
|Wood||Named for Edmund Burke Wood, Provincial Treasurer in the John Sandfield Macdonald Government. In 1874, he was appointed Chief Justice of Manitoba.|
Alexander Cockburn answered the call. Sometimes called the Father of Muskoka, Cockburn began placing steamers on the lake. Starting with his steamship the Wenonah, Ojibwa for "first daughter", in 1866 Cockburn pressed the government to open the entire Muskoka lake system to navigation. He urged installing locks in Port Carling and opening a cut between Lake Rosseau and Lake Joseph at Port Sanfield. The government was eager to reinforce development in light of the faltering agricultural plan, and built the big locks in Port Carling in 1871. Cockburn's steamers had access to the entire lake system. Through the years he added more ships; when he died in 1905, his Muskoka Navigation Company was the largest of its kind in Canada.
Shortly after the arrival of the steamships, another industry began to develop as agriculture never could. 1860 two young men, John Campbell and James Bain Jr, made a journey that marked them as perhaps the first tourists in the region. Taking the Northern Railway to Lake Simcoe, they took the steamer Emily May up the lake to Orillia, and rowed across Lake Couchiching. They walked up the Colonization Road to Gravenhurst, where they vacationed. They liked what they saw and repeated the journey every year, bringing friends and relatives. These early tourist pioneers increased demand for transport services in the region. People were drawn by the fishing, natural environment, and an air free of ragweed, providing relief for hay fever sufferers.
Early tourists built camps, but were joined by others desiring better accommodations. Farmers who were barely scratching a living from the rocky soil soon found demand for overnight accommodations arriving on their doorsteps. Some made the switch quickly and converted to boarding houses and hotels. The first wilderness hotel, called Rosseau House, was built at the head of Lake Rosseau in 1870. It was owned by New Yorker William H. Pratt. The idea caught on and the number of tourists increased, establishing the tourist industry as the up-and-coming money earner in the 1880s.
The steamship era gave rise to the area's great hotels: Rosseau, Royal Muskoka, Windermere, Clevelands House, Beaumaris, and many more. When the railroad reached Gravenhurst in 1875, the area grew rapidly. Travel from Toronto, Pittsburgh, and New York City became less a matter of endurance than expenditure. Trains regularly made the run from Toronto to Gravenhurst, where travellers and their luggage were transferred to the great steamers of the Muskoka Navigation Co, such as the Sagamo. Making regular stops up the lakes, including at Bracebridge, Beaumaris, and Port Carling, tourists could transfer to smaller ships, such as the Islander. These could reach smaller ports. Improving transportation links opened smaller or more remote upper Muskoka lakes (Fairy, Vernon, Mary, Peninsula and Lake of Bays) to tourism around the turn of the 20th century, with steamers out of Huntsville servicing hotels like Deerhurst on Peninsula Lake. The Portage Railway between Peninsula Lake and Lake of Bays enabled comparatively easy access to the latter, resulting in a blossoming of tourism there, with 21 hotels eventually springing up, among them notably the Wawa and Britannia hotels and perhaps culminating in the Bigwin Inn.
The hotels became the centres of wealthy vacationers' lives, and families conducted extended stays that could stretch for weeks or months in the summer. As families became seasonally established, they began building cottages near the hotels; at first simple affairs replicating the rustic environment of the early camps. Later they built grander homes, including in some cases, housing for significant domestic staff. Initially cottagers relied on rowboats and canoes for daily transport and would sometimes row substantial distances. In the era of the steam and gasoline launch, tourists relied less on muscle power and more on motors. With the boats, the wealthier summer people built boathouses, often elaborate structures in their own right, in many cases designed with the look and feel of the main "cottage".
In 1887, the Nipissing II was built in Glasgow, Scotland and assembled in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Originally a side paddlewheel steamer, the Nipissing II plied the lakes of Muskoka for decades before decommission in 1914. In 1924, the vessel was outfitted with twin propeller engines and in 1925 was relaunched with an Ojibwe name, Segwun, meaning "springtime." Royal Mail Ship Segwun is still in operation today in Gravenhurst, Ontario, functioning as a pleasure cruise vessel and still delivering Royal Mail.
World War I caused a significant dip in the tourist activity for the area and hence the economy. After the war, however, significant advances in the automobile brought demand for improved (paved) roads. These two developments, motorboats and private cars, brought greater overall development of the area; they also stimulated the spread of development around the lakes, as people no longer needed to be near major landings. Freed from the ports of call of the steamships, people built cottages farther afield. Demand began dropping for passenger billets on the steamship lines.
Meanwhile, demand increased for air transportation. The earliest runways of Muskoka Airport were laid out in 1933. The airport has been intermittently upgraded. It was used strategically during World War II as a training field for the Norwegian Air Force after the Nazi occupation of Norway.
The demands of World War II slowed residential development in this area. Wartime shortages kept many Americans at home and many Canadians were engaged in war activities. Postwar prosperity brought another boom based around the availability of the automobile, improved roads, and the newly affordable fiberglass boat. Suddenly owning a summer cottage became possible not only for the adventurous or the wealthy, but for many in the middle class. They traveled by private automobiles, and the steamship companies were forced to retire their ships one by one, until the last sailing in the late 1950s.
The District was formed from unorganized territory which was only partially surveyed into geographic townships by 1868. Surveying was completed in the coming years, and most, but not all, townships became organized municipally. The first townships were organized in 1869. In 1970, four geographic townships still existed in the District.
In 1873, the organized townships were formed into a municipality similar to a county, known as the "Municipal Corporation of the District of Muskoka." Its authority did not extend to the geographic townships. Provision was made in 1888 for a procedure to erect the District into a provisional county, but it was never invoked and was quietly repealed in 1911.
The District, unlike a county in Ontario, did not initially have the status of being a separate judicial district. Such an identity followed that for municipal purposes until 1888, when it became part of the "United Provisional Judicial District of Muskoka and Parry Sound", but it did have its own District Court and Surrogate Court This would continue until 1899, when Muskoka and Parry Sound were divided into separate provisional judicial districts.
In 1967, the Muskoka District Council was advised that J.W. Spooner, Ontario's Minister of Municipal Affairs, had appointed Donald M. Paterson to conduct a review of the District's local government arrangements. The report was released in June 1969, and its recommendations were substantially adopted by the new Minister Darcy McKeough, and subsequently implemented in January 1971, when the entire District was formally established as an upper-tier municipality consisting of the following municipalities:
|Canada census – District Municipality of Muskoka community profile|
|Population:||60,599 (4.5% from 2011)||58,047 (0.8% from 2006)||57,563 (8.4% from 2001)|
|Land area:||3,940.48 km2 (1,521.43 sq mi)||3,937.76 km2 (1,520.38 sq mi)||3,890.24 km2 (1,502.03 sq mi)|
|Population density:||15.4/km2 (40/sq mi)||14.7/km2 (38/sq mi)||14.8/km2 (38/sq mi)|
|Median age:||51.3 (M: 50.4, F: 52.1)||48.0 (M: 46.9, F: 49.0)||45.3 (M: 44.4, F: 46.3)|
|Total private dwellings:||46,207||44,619||44,634|
|Median household income:||$67,880||$61,159|
|Notes: Excludes census data for incompletely enumerated Indian reserves. – References: 2016 2011 2006 earlier|
|Group||2016 Census||2011 Census||2006 Census|
|Population||% of total||Population||% of Total||Population||% of Total|
|Group||2016 Census||2011 Census||2006 Census|
|Population||% of total||Population||% of Total||Population||% of Total|
|English and French||100||0.2||65||0.1||65||0.1|
|Group||2016 Census||2011 Census||2006 Census|
|Population||% of total||Population||% of Total||Population||% of Total|
|At the same address||37,000||66.0||No data||34,510||64.0|
|In the same municipality||8,465||15.1||8,655||16.0|
|In the same province||9,650||17.2||9,595||17.8|
|From another province||535||1.0||510||0.9|
|From another country||380||0.7||670||1.3|
|Total aged 5 or over||56,035||100.0||53,945||100.0|
Bracebridge Gazette, November 11, 1937, an address by Redmond Thomas, Assistant Editor of the Bracebridge Gazette, delivered to a meeting of the Men Teachers' Federation of Muskoka.
Ahlbrandt, Patricia (1989). Beaumaris. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mill Press.
Arrowhead Provincial Park is located north of Huntsville, Ontario, Canada, and is part of the Ontario Parks system. A portion of the shoreline of Glacial Lake Algonquin is visible in the park.During the winter, a 1.3-kilometre (0.81 mi) man-made skating trail winds through the forest. Other winter activities at the park include cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and tubing.Bala, Ontario
Bala is a Compact Rural Community in the township municipality of Muskoka Lakes, District Municipality of Muskoka in Central Ontario, Canada. It is well-known for the Bala Falls, the source of the Moon River where that river drains Lake Muskoka.
It is considered one of the hubs of cottage country located north of Toronto. Thus, its year-round population of several hundred is increased by thousands of seasonal residents and weekend day-trippers during summer months. It is known as the Cranberry Capital of Ontario, as the province's largest cranberry farms, Johnston's Cranberry Marsh and Wahta Iroquis Growers, are located nearby. It was once the smallest incorporated town in Canada, until amalgamation as part of Muskoka Lakes Township.Camp Ramah in Canada
Camp Ramah in Canada, (Hebrew: מחנה רמה) is a Jewish summer camp located at Skeleton Lake in Utterson in Muskoka, Ontario, approximately two hours north of Toronto. Part of the National Ramah Commission, Ramah is affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Camp Ramah in Canada was founded in 1960, and attracts approximately 500 campers each year from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Israel.Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario, is 215 km (133 Miles) north of Toronto in Ontario's Muskoka region, bordering the Algonquin Provincial Park. The resort dates from 1896 when it was opened by English entrepreneur Charles Waterhouse. The lakeside hotel was the central venue of the 36th G8 summit in 2010. A number of summer camps are located nearby.Georgian Bay, Ontario
The Township of Georgian Bay is an area municipality of the District Municipality of Muskoka, in south-central Ontario, Canada. It is located on the Severn River, where it empties into the eponymous Georgian Bay. The municipal offices are at Port Severn.
This township is the administrative centre of the Moose Deer Point Ojibway First Nation reserve.Georgian Bay Islands National Park
Georgian Bay Islands National Park (established 1929) consists of 63 small islands or parts of islands in Georgian Bay, near Port Severn, Ontario. The total park area is approximately 13.5 km2 (5.2 sq mi). Prior to the creation of Fathom Five National Marine Park, Flowerpot Island was also a part of the park.The islands blend the exposed rocks and pines of the Canadian Shield with the hardwood forests found further south. The park can only be reached by boat; there are limited camping facilities on the largest island, Beausoleil Island.
It is part of the Georgian Bay Littoral Biosphere Reserve.Hidden Valley Highlands
Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Area is a ski and snowboard resort in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada. Hidden Valley offers 15 groomed trails, three quad chairlifts, one handle tow, two snow cats, night skiing and snowboarding, and a terrain park.Jiggs McDonald
John Kenneth "Jiggs" McDonald (born November 28, 1938) is a sportscaster who has done play-by-play announcing for NHL games for more than 50 years. In 1990, McDonald received the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award from the Hockey Hall of Fame.Lake Joseph
Lake Joseph is located in Seguin Township, Ontario. The lake is surrounded by many cottages. Lake Joseph is connected to Lake Rosseau through the narrows at Port Sandfield and the Joseph River.Lake of Bays
Lake of Bays is a township within the District Municipality of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada. The township, situated 193 kilometres (120 mi) north of Toronto, is named after the Lake of Bays.
Located in the northeast corner of Muskoka, the Lake of Bays offers a natural landscape of forests, rocks, lakes and wetlands. It is an important cottaging, recreation and tourism destination in Ontario. Currently, the economy of the township is primarily based on tourism, recreation, and the service sector with forestry and aggregate (composite) extraction contributing as well.Moose Deer Point First Nation
Moose Deer Point First Nation is a Potawatomi First Nation in the District Municipality of Muskoka, Ontario. It has a reserve called Moose Point 79. The reserve is located along Twelve Mile Bay.
Members of Moose Deer Point are descended from settlers from the American Mid-West whom arrived in Southern Ontario (Beausoleil Island on Georgian Bay) in the 1830s and later arrived in the area. The reserve was surveyed in 1917.Muskoka Lakes
The Township of Muskoka Lakes is an area municipality of the District Municipality of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada. It has a year-round population of 6,588.The municipal offices are located in Port Carling.Ontario Highway 117
King's Highway 117, commonly referred to as Highway 117, was a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. Two routes have been given the designation over the years, both of which have since been decommissioned. The first iteration existed in Vaughan Township between 1961 and 1970, following Bathurst Street between Steeles Avenue and Highway 7. In 1974, a second iteration of Highway 117 was assumed through Muskoka, connecting Highway 11 near Bracebridge with Highway 35 in Dorset. This route existed until 1997, when it was transferred to the District Municipality of Muskoka.Ontario Highway 501
Secondary Highway 501, commonly referred to as Highway 501, was a provincially maintained secondary highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. The highway was 13.1 kilometres (8.1 mi) long, connecting Highway 103 north of Port Severn with Honey Harbour.
Highway 501 was first assumed by the Department of Highways (DHO), predecessor to the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario, in 1956, along with most secondary highways in Ontario. In the early 1970s, the route was transferred to the newly established District Municipality of Muskoka and has since been known as Muskoka Road 5, or Honey Harbour Road. Today Muskoka Road 5 is accessed from Highway 400 at exit 156.Port Carling
Port Carling is an unincorporated community in the Township of Muskoka Lakes in the Canadian province of Ontario.
It has been the municipal seat of the township since 1971. It has several hundred year-round residents and is a service centre for thousands of other seasonal residents in the area.Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board
The Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (SMCDSB, known as English-language Separate District School Board No. 44 prior to 1999) administers and governs separate school Catholic education from kindergarten through grade 12 in Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka, in Ontario, Canada. As of August 2012, the school board has 44 elementary and 9 secondary school located in communities throughout Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka. Its boundaries include are Highway 9 in the south to Huntsville in the north, and from Collingwood in the west to Brechin on the east side of Lake Simcoe.
The board was originally known as Simcoe Muskoka Roman Catholic Separate School Board (SMRCSSB) and operated anglophone and francophone schools.Trillium Lakelands District School Board
The Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB, known as English-language Public District School Board No. 15 prior to 1999) administers public school education for students in a large area of central Ontario, Canada including the municipalities of the City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton County, and the District Municipality of Muskoka. It manages 41 elementary schools, 7 secondary schools and 7 Adult Education and Training Centres.Wahta Mohawks
The Wahta Mohawks are a Mohawk First Nation in Ontario. The Wahta Mohawk Territory is their territory (reserve) in the District Municipality of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada near Bala. It is bounded on the west by Highway 400, a major north-south artery in the province. About one-third of the 831 citizens of Wahta Mohawk Territory live in the community of Wahta, along District Road 38, another third live within 100 km, and the remainder live elsewhere.
The land is made up of forest and lakes typical of the rugged Canadian Shield. It is used primarily for hunting and fishing by Mohawk from the reserves of Kanesatake and Kahnewake Quebec, who share access to this territory. It was the site of the now defunct Iroquois Cranberry Growers, which was Ontario's largest cranberry farm. The farm was shuttered because of economic reasons.
Wahta Mohawk Territory was founded in 1881 after the Sulpician Order bought land here for Mohawk from the community of Kanesatake, Quebec, where there had been political and religious strife over land use rights. About one-fifth of the Mohawk from that community moved to the new area.They also share the Indian River Indian Reserve with the Chippewas of Rama First Nation.