Damoh is a city in the Sagar Division in north-eastern Madhya Pradesh in India. The city is located 250 kilometres (155 mi) east of the state capital, Bhopal. It is the administrative headquarters of Damoh District.
Location in Madhya Pradesh, India
|Elevation||595 m (1,952 ft)|
|• Density||148/km2 (380/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Stone Age tools have been found in Singrampur Valley and it is believed that the area has been inhabited for thousands of years. Around the 5th century, it was part of the empire of Guptas of Pataliputra. This has been evidenced by plaques and coins, and monuments from the reigns of Samudragupta, Chandragupta I, and Skandgupta. From the 8th to 12th centuries, some parts of the Damoh district were in the Chedi Empire, ruled by the Kalchuri dynasty from its capital Tripuri. The temple at Nohta demonstrates Kalchuri's influence in the 10th century. Some regions of the district were under the Chandels of the Jejak-Bhukti. According to legend, Damoh was named for the Queen of Narvar Rani Damyanti, the wife of Raja Nal. Around the beginning of the 14th century, the administrative centre of the Chanderi province of the Khalji dynasty was moved to Damoh.
In the last quarter of the 15th century, Sangram Shah of the Gond dynasty annexed the region into his empire organized around 52 forts. This was an era of peace and prosperity for the region. In Singrampur, Rani Durgawati attained martyrdom battling against the Mughal Empire, represented by its General Asaf Khan and his army. Bundelas entered the region for a brief time span, after which Marathas took over in 1732. He remained the ruler until the British annexed the Marathas kingdom after the death of Peshwa in 1888.
Damoh took part in the struggle for independence from the British. Under the leadership of Thakur Kishore Singh of Hindoria, Raja Devi Singh of Singrampur, Pancham Singh of Karijog, Gangadhar Rao, Raghunath Rao, Mejban Singh, and Govind Rao were among those who took part in the 1857 revolt.
In 1861, Damoh became part of Central Provinces under the British Empire in India and was demarcated as a separate district. By 1867, Damoh was constituted as a municipality with a population of about two million. The same year it was connected by railway to Jabalpur and Allahabad.
Damoh suffered from famine in 1896-97 and 1900. By 1899 the India Midland Railway had completed the construction of Sagar–Damoh link and Damoh–Katni links. Freedom fighter Seth Govind Das was jailed in Damoh in 1923, and wrote a number of Hindi plays while imprisoned. In 1929, Acharya Shantisagar visited Damoh, the first such visit by a Digambar Muni to Damoh after several centuries.
In 1947, with India's independence from British Raj, the Central Provinces were reorganized as the state of Madhya Pradesh. The town of Damoh had its first-degree college established in 1961 by Shiksha Prasar Samiti, a volunteer organization.
Damoh is located at  It is at an average elevation of 595 metres (1,952 ft)..
Damoh's population was recorded as 8,98,125 in 1991 Census of India. The figure reached 10,81,009 by 2001.
According to the 2001 India census, Damoh had a population of 112,160. Males constituted 53% of the population and females 47%. Damoh had an average literacy rate of 73%, above the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 89% and female literacy was 66%. 14% of the population was under 6 years of age.
The Member of Legislative Assembly from Damoh is Shri Jayant Malaiya Ji.
The town has a significant cattle-market and a number of small industries such as weaving, dyeing and pottery-making. The district of Damoh has an area of 7,306 km2 (2,821 sq mi). To the south and east, foothills and patches of jungle break up the countryside; otherwise the district consists of open plains of varying degrees of fertility, interspersed with low ranges and isolated heights with the richest tracts in the centre.
Damoh Railway Station (code: DMO) is the only railway station in the city. It serves a few trains for Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur, Amritsar, Harda, and Howrah, situated between Katni and Bina Junction.