Cusworth Hall is an 18th-century Grade I listed country house in Cusworth, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire in the north of England. Set in the landscaped parklands of Cusworth Park, Cusworth Hall is a good example of a Georgian country house. It is now a country house museum.
The house is constructed of ashlar with slate roofs. The rectangular 6 x 5 bay plan main block is linked to 5 x 2 bay service wings.
The Wrightson family had held the lordship of Cusworth since 1669.
The present house was built in 1740–1745 by George Platt for William Wrightson to replace a previous house and was further altered in 1749–1753 by James Paine. On William's death in 1760 the property passed to his daughter Isabella, who had married John Battie, who took the additional name of Wrightson in 1766. He employed the landscape designer Richard Woods to remodel the park. Woods was one of a group of respected landscape designers working across the country during the 18th century and Cusworth was one of his most important commissions in South Yorkshire, another being at Cannon Hall. Woods created a park of 250 acres with a hanging and a serpentine river consisting of three lakes embellished with decorative features such as the Rock Arch and the Cascade.
The estate afterwards passed to John and Isabella's son, William Wrightson (1752–1827), who was the MP for Aylesbury from 1784–1790 and High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 1819–1820. He was succeeded by his son William Battie-Wrightson (1789–1879), who at various times was MP for East Retford, Hull and Northallerton. He died childless and Cusworth Hall passed to his brother Richard Heber Wrightson, who died in 1891.
The property was then inherited by his nephew William Henry Thomas, who took the surname Battie-Wrightson by Royal Licence and died in 1903. He had married Lady Isabella Cecil, eldest daughter of the 3rd Marquess of Exeter. Between 1903 and 1909 Lady Isabella made further alterations to the house. She died in 1917, leaving an only son Robert Cecil Battie-Wrightson (1888–1952). On his death in 1952, the estate descended to his sister, a nurse who had married a Major Oswald Parker but later was variously known as Miss Maureen Pearse-Brown and as Mrs Pearce. She was obliged to sell the contents of Cusworth Hall in October 1952 to meet the death duties levied at Robert Cecil's death. She subsequently sold the hall to Doncaster Council.
The ‘Old Hall’ at Cusworth, Cusworth Hall and Cusworth Park
Cusworth Estate Cusworth was first mentioned as ‘Cuzeuuorde’ in the domesday survey of 1086 but there has been a settlement here for centuries dating back to the Anglo-Saxon period. Many different families had held the lands and manor but they did not always live at Cusworth.
‘Old Hall’ A large house is first mentioned in 1327. Robert Wrightson bought the lands and manor of Cusworth in 1669 from Sir Christopher Wray. The first surviving map of Cusworth is that of Joseph Dickinson’s 1719 plan which shows the hall and gardens covered only 1 acre with the orchards a further 2 acres. What is most significant at this time was the ‘Parke’ of some 25 acres. The ‘Old Hall’ was next to the walled gardens in the centre of Cusworth village. In 1726 the ‘Old Hall’ was expanded including altering the gardens between 1726–1735. This expanded the kitchen garden into the size and form we know today with the Bowling Green and Pavilion.
In the period 1740–1745 William Wrightson employed George Platt, a mason architect from Rotherham, to build a new hall – the current Cusworth Hall – high on a scarp slope on the Magnesian Limestone removing the Hall, and the family, from the village of Cusworth. The ‘Old Hall’ was largely demolished in the process, many components from the old building re-used in the new.
Cusworth Hall Cusworth Hall itself and its outbuildings are at the centre of the park enjoying ‘prospect’ over the town of Doncaster. The Grade I-listed eighteenth century hall was designed by George Platt in the Palladian style. Cusworth Hall is handsome, well proportioned, with wings consisting of a stable block and great kitchen. Later additions by James Paine include a chapel and library. It has decorative outbuildings including a Brew House, Stable Block and Lodge. In addition it has a decorative garden called Lady Isabella’s Garden on the west side adjacent to the chapel. On its eastern flank the stable block and gardeners' bothy. Attached to the bothy is a decorative iron enclosure known as the Peacock Pen.
Cusworth Park Cusworth Park is an historic designed landscape with a Grade II listing in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens. It was designed and created by the nationally known landscape architect Richard Woods to ‘improve’ the park in the style made famous by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown now termed ‘The English Landscape Park’. Work started in 1761 laying out the ‘grounds and the serpentine river’.
The land forming the existing park is 60 acres (25 hectares) – 250,000m, and was part of the much larger parkland (250 acres) and estates (20,000 acres) of the Battie-Wrightson family who owned Cusworth Hall.
The walled garden The earliest description of the layout of the park and walled gardens is that shown on Joseph Dickinson’s 1719 plan. In 1761 Richard Woods altered areas within the walled gardens. Together ‘woods’ Kitchen Garden and Green House Garden occupy the site of the orchard shown on Dickinson’s plan.
The purchase of bricks from Epworth for the construction of the walled gardens is recorded in the New House Accounts.
The garden was a compartmentalised space, however with focus on domestic production in some sections, exotics in another, an orchard, and formal flower gardens in the rest.
The kitchen gardens included pine pits (pineapple house), later to become stove houses and mushroom houses.
The Entrance Terrace (Upper Terrace) Old plans show a narrow walled enclosure or ‘entrance terrace' running east-west. The walls of this enclosure may well have been of stone or stoned faced and still, in part survives. To the south are the main components of the walled garden. Access from the terrace down to the bowling green is via a flight of stone steps.
Bowling Green Described on Richard Woods plans of 1760. This is a roughly square, walled enclosure where the bowling green is surrounded by an earthed banked terraced walk. The enclosure is defined by a brick wall, which was lowered along its western side to give a view over to the Green House Garden.
Summerhouse / Bowling Pavilion Built 1726. The summerhouse is the main architectural feature of the walled garden. It is of two stories with the upper storey accessed from the Bowling Green. There is an impression of more carefully shaped quoins at the corners but it is probable that the walls were originally rendered and lime washed externally. There are windows giving views across the Bowling Green from the upper chamber and across the Flower Garden from the lower chamber.
During restoration in the 1990s the upper chamber was decorated with Trompe-l'œil. showing views of imagined walled gardens at Cusworth.
Flower Garden The garden was designed to be viewed principally from the higher position of the bowling green. It was subdivided by cross-paths and furnished with four formal beds. Although one of the smallest compartments, the flower garden was the most highly ornamental and tightly designed. It would have created a formal, colourful architectural space contrasting with the simplicity of the bowling green
Hall Garden The function of the Hall Garden is not clear but appears to have been an extension of the decorative scheme of the flower garden. The Hall Garden has a perimeter walk and is then divided into two plots by a further, central path.
Peach House This whitewash wall indicates the position of the peach house.
Melon Pits Melon pits ran east-west along this area.
Orchard Through the 18th century the orchard was not enclosed and remained open until the late 19th century. It was double its current size extending back up to Cusworth Lane until the northern half was sold off for housing in the 1960s.
Kitchen Garden (No longer existing) The west, south and this east boundary wall(s) of the garden still exist but the plot of land was sold off for housing in the 1960s. There was an access gate between the Hall Garden and the kitchen garden (this can be seen bricked up in the northwest corner). This garden had a perimeter walk and was planted with trees arranged in parallel lines orchestrated around a small building at the northern end of the compartment.
Green House Garden (No longer existing) The kitchen garden represents the greater part of the area occupied by the original orchard shown on Dickinson’s 1719 plan. The remaining area was described on Woods’ plan as the Green House Garden and was shown divided into two unequal parts. Both parts of the garden appear to have been planted with trees, probably fruit trees. A building abuts the bowling green in roughly the position as the one shown on the Dickinson plan but there is an additional building, roughly square in plan, to the northwest corner of the enclosure. This was probably the Dovecote for which Wrightson paid £9 15s 0d in 1736.
The west boundary wall still exists and this low (east) wall that runs along the length of the bowling green but the plot of land was sold off for housing in the 1960s.
In 1961 Doncaster Rural District Council purchased Cusworth Hall and the adjoining parkland from the Battie-Wrightson family. The Council undertook an initial restoration of the grounds and also recreated what is now the tearooms within the former stable block. The former reception rooms and spacious galleries now house the Museum of South Yorkshire life, officially opened on 30 September 1967.
Cusworth Hall and Park underwent an extensive £7.5 million renovation between 2002 and 2005, involving essential conservation repairs to the Hall and extensive restoration of the landscape gardens. Within the hall external repairs to the stonework and roof were undertaken to ensure that the exterior was watertight, whilst internal works upgraded internal services and enabled new displays to be installed.
The restoration of the designed landscape have been greatly influenced by a comprehensive analysis of available archive material, among which are the original written memoranda and sketches produced by Richard Woods for his site forman Thomas Coalie. An integrated archaeological programme also formed a key aspect of the restorations, recording in detail landscape features such as the Rock Arch, Cascade, and Bridge. This restoration has not 'recreated' the 18th century scheme, although elements are still incorporated within a 'living' amenity garden that is now thriving as a result of the recent work undertaken in partnership with the Friends of Cusworth Park.
The Hall reopened to the public on 23 May 2007 and the new displays document the history of South Yorkshire and it is a valued resource for local residents, students and school groups alike.
Cusworth Hall Museum and Park is the venue for a varied program of seasonal exhibitions, events and activities linked to the history of the area. including Country Fairs, vintage vehicle rallies, historic re-enactments, wildlife sessions and a range of seasonally themed events.
Additionally, Doncaster Museums' Education Service offers a range of learning sessions to schools and educational establishments. Specialist and experienced Education Officers deliver learning workshops to schools across a broad range of topics as well as out-of-school-hours activities for families and local communities.
Brian Shenton (15 March 1927 – 9 May 1987) was a track and field sprinter. He represented Great Britain in the men's 200 metres and men's 4x100 metres relay at two consecutive Summer Olympics (1952 and 1956).Born in Doncaster from a working-class background, he was a member of the Doncaster Plant Works Athletic Club, later having a successful career in the City and reaching the position of Chairman of Noble Lowndes. He died in a car crash soon after retirement.Shenton came to public attention in 1950 with a series of good performances, culminating in a place at the European Championships as a replacement. Described as the "boy from nowhere", he set a new personal best in the semi-finals of 21.6s, in the finals beating off the challenge of Étienne Bally.He won the gold medal at the 1950 European Athletics Championships in Brussels, Belgium in the men's 200 metres in a time of 21.5s as part of the British team that first topped the medal table with a medal count that would not be matched for a further 40 years.
Representing England he won the silver medal at the 1950 British Empire Games in Auckland, New Zealand, in the 4x110 yard relay and won an individual silver medal in the 220 yard dash at the 1954 British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.He won the silver medal at the 1954 European Athletics Championships in Berne, Switzerland in the men's 4x100 metres relay, alongside George Ellis, Kenneth Jones and Kenneth Box.
In 1957 Brian Shenton was timed as having set the English 100 yards native record in a time of 9.7 seconds. However, this was disallowed following a ruling that he had had a "flier". Shenton appealed and received a personal hearing at the AAA.Memorabilia from Brian Shenton's athletic career was included in an exhibition of Doncaster's local Olympians in celebration of the London 2012 Olympics.Cusworth
Cusworth is a historic village in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, close to the A1(M) motorway. Together with Sprotbrough it forms the civil parish of Sprotbrough and Cusworth. Just outside the village, lies a country house, Cusworth Hall.
It has one public house which is The Mallard, on Breydon Avenue/Cusworth Lane. There is a bistro at Cusworth Hall, named Butlers' Tea Room & Bistro.
Scawsby and Melton Brand are close-by.Doncaster
Doncaster (, ) is a large town in South Yorkshire, England. Together with its surrounding suburbs and settlements, the town forms part of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, which had a mid-2017 est. population of 308,900. The town itself has a population of 109,805 The Doncaster Urban Area had a population of 158,141 in 2011 and includes Doncaster and neighbouring small villages. Part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974, Doncaster is about 17 miles (30 km) north-east of Sheffield, with which it is served by an international airport, Doncaster Sheffield Airport in Finningley. Under the Local Government Act 1972, Doncaster was incorporated into a newly created metropolitan borough in 1974, itself incorporated with other nearby boroughs in the 1974 creation of the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire.English country houses with changed use
Many English country houses have experienced a change of use and are no longer privately occupied.Grade I listed buildings in South Yorkshire
There are 62 Grade I listed buildings in South Yorkshire, England. In the United Kingdom, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance; Grade I structures are those considered to be "buildings of exceptional interest". In England, the authority for listing under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 rests with Historic England, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.High Sheriff of Yorkshire
The Sheriff is the oldest secular office under the Crown. Formerly the Sheriff was the principal law enforcement officer in the county but over the centuries most of the responsibilities associated with the post have been transferred elsewhere or are now defunct, so that its functions are now largely ceremonial.
Sheriff is a title originating in the time of the Angles, not long after the invasion of the Kingdom of England, which was in existence for around a thousand years. A list of the sheriffs from the Norman conquest onwards can be found below. The Shrievalties are the oldest secular titles under the Crown in England and Wales, their purpose being to represent the monarch at a local level, historically in the shires.
The office was a powerful position in earlier times, especially in the case of Yorkshire, which covers a very large area. The sheriffs were responsible for the maintenance of law and order and various other roles. Some of their powers in Yorkshire were relinquished in 1547 as the Lord Lieutenant of Yorkshire was instated to deal with military duties. It was only in 1908 under Edward VII of the United Kingdom that the Lord Lieutenant became more senior than the Sheriff. Since then the position of Sheriff has become more ceremonial, with many of its previous responsibilities transferred to High Court judges, magistrates, coroners, local authorities and the police.
In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, the single Yorkshire shrievalty was abolished, with sheriffs appointed to each of the new metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties. Today the position is represented at a more local level in the form of four titles; the High Sheriff of the East Riding of Yorkshire, High Sheriff of North Yorkshire, High Sheriff of South Yorkshire and High Sheriff of West Yorkshire.James Paine (architect)
James Paine (1717–1789) was an English architect.Levitt Hagg
Levitt Hagg (sometimes spelled Levit Hagg or Levett Hagg ) is an abandoned hamlet in South Yorkshire, located approximately two miles southwest of Doncaster and near Conisbrough Castle. Limestone began to be quarried at the site in ancient times. Levitt Hagg was also the site, along with nearby environs in the Don Gorge, of ancient woodlands rich in yew trees. The old settlement of Levitt Hagg was removed in the 1950s.List of museums in South Yorkshire
This list of museums in South Yorkshire, England contains museums which are defined for this context as institutions (including nonprofit organizations, government entities, and private businesses) that collect and care for objects of cultural, artistic, scientific, or historical interest and make their collections or related exhibits available for public viewing. Also included are non-profit art galleries and university art galleries. Museums that exist only in cyberspace (i.e., virtual museums) are not included.
To use the sortable table, click on the icons at the top of each column to sort that column in alphabetical order; click again for reverse alphabetical order.Mansion House, Doncaster
Doncaster Mansion House is a Grade I listed building in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. It is owned and managed by Doncaster Council, and the venue is used for civic and private functions, including tours, afternoon teas, wedding services, and official receptions.
During the 18th century, Doncaster's position on the Great North Road brought wealth to the town. The town's corporation was frequently called on to host entertainments, initially at the mayor's house or the Angel or Three Cranes inns. In 1719, they took a lease on a house in the High Street for holding feasts, but let this lapse around 1727. They bought a site on the High Street in 1738, with the intention of building a permanent base for entertaining, but little construction took place for several years. In 1746, James Paine was appointed as architect in 1746. Although young, Paine had already worked on Nostell Priory and had designed Heath House, both near Wakefield.Mansion Houses had already been constructed in Newcastle-upon-Tyne (now demolished), York and London. Whereas these other buildings contained both formal reception rooms and living quarters for the mayor, Doncaster's differed in being designed purely for entertainment, although some later mayors used space in the building as accommodation.Paine planned a building along the now established designs of Assembly Rooms. It was completed in 1748 and officially opened in 1749, the construction having cost £8,000. Paine was immediately offered more local work, starting with alterations to Cusworth Hall. He published his designs for the Mansion House in 1751. This work showed the building flanked by two other structures, marked as houses for the town clerk and recorder, but these were never part of the commission and were not built.William Lindley extended the building between 1801 and 1806, adding an attic storey, a rear banqueting hall and rear landing.Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster
The Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire in Yorkshire and the Humber Region of England.
In addition to the town of Doncaster, the borough covers the towns of Mexborough, Conisbrough, Thorne, Bawtry and Tickhill.
The borough was created on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the former county borough of Doncaster along with the urban districts of Adwick le Street, Bentley with Arksey, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Tickhill along with Doncaster Rural District and Thorne Rural District, the parish of Finningley from East Retford Rural District and small parts of the parish of Harworth from Worksop Rural District from Nottinghamshire.Milton Ironworks
Not to be confused with the Milton Ironworks, Glasgow, Scotland
The Milton Ironworks was an iron works established in the 19th century in the Elsecar area of Barnsley, West Yorkshire, England.Scawsby
Scawsby is a village and community area on the west of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England on the A635, close to the A1(M). It was historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is about 2 miles north-west of Doncaster and about 4.5 miles north-east of Conisbrough.
Scawthorpe, Marr, Cusworth, Sprotbrough and Bentley are close-by villages.
The local parish church in the village is the Church of St Leonard and St Jude.
It is in the civil parish of Sprotbrough and Cusworth, which had a population of 12,166, decreasing slightly to 12,134 at the 2011 Census. Cusworth Hall is located there.
Listed buildings in the village include 17th century Scawsby Hall and a Tudor cottage.In 2012, BBC News reported on Scawsby Fisheries, a fish and chip shop on Rowena Drive which attempted for charity the world fish and chip portion record, with a fry of 33lb (15kg) of battered cod alongside 64lb (29kg) of chips.On Barnsley Road is the local primary school, Scawsby Saltersgate Junior School, with Scawsby Saltersgate Infant School, Scawsby Community Centre (Ullswater Walk), Scawsby Health Centre, and two public houses, Scawsby Mill and The Sun (originally the Sun Inn).
Scawsby Day College of Education operated here in the village, until it closed in 1976. Rosedale School, Ridgewood School and Stone Hill School are all other schools in Scawsby.
The village is mainly on the A635 but areas lie on streets like Cusworth Lane and the A638.
The village has many shops; a OneStop, a Londis Convenience Store, a First Stop Food and Drinks and the Sun Service Station on York Road. Altogether, it has four public houses, The Sun, the Scawsby Mill, the Roman Ridge and York Bar W M C Working Mens Club, on the corner of Cusworth Lane and the A638.
Capital FM is available in this area, as one of the most popular radio stations. Classic FM, Hallam FM, Heart Yorkshire and many others are also available here. Viking FM and BBC Radio Humberside also over-lap into this area.South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire is a metropolitan county in England. It is the southernmost county in the Yorkshire and the Humber region and had a population of 1.34 million in 2011. It has an area of 1,552 square kilometres (599 sq mi) and consists of four metropolitan boroughs, Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. South Yorkshire was created on 1 April 1974 as a result of the Local Government Act 1972. Its largest settlement is Sheffield.
Lying on the east side of the Pennines, South Yorkshire is landlocked, and borders Derbyshire to the west and south-west, West Yorkshire to the north-west, North Yorkshire to the north, the East Riding of Yorkshire to the north-east, Lincolnshire to the east and Nottinghamshire to the south-east. The Sheffield Urban Area is the tenth most populous conurbation in the United Kingdom, and dominates the western half of South Yorkshire with over half of the county's population living within it. South Yorkshire lies within the Sheffield City Region with Barnsley also being within the Leeds City Region, reflecting its geographical position midway between Yorkshire's two largest cities.
South Yorkshire County Council was abolished in 1986 and its metropolitan boroughs are now effectively unitary authorities, although the metropolitan county continues to exist in law. As a ceremonial county, South Yorkshire has a Lord Lieutenant and a High Sheriff.
South Yorkshire was created from 32 local government districts of the West Riding of Yorkshire (the administrative county and four independent county boroughs), with small areas from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.
In the 2016 referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union, South Yorkshire voted 62% leave and 38% remain, making it one of the most heavily Leave areas in the country.Sprotbrough
Sprotbrough is a large village in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. Together with Cusworth it forms the civil parish of Sprotbrough and Cusworth (sometimes Sprotbrough with Cusworth).
Cusworth is nearby and Cusworth Hall can be found there.
The place-name 'Sprotbrough' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Sproteburg. The name is thought to mean 'Sprot's borough'.Sprotbrough and Cusworth
Sprotbrough and Cusworth is a civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. It lies 3 miles (4.8 km) to the north west of Doncaster town centre and is split by the A1(M) motorway. It lies 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from Scawsby, and had a population of 12,166 in 2001 and 12,134 at the 2011 Census.The parish includes the villages of Sprotbrough, Cusworth and Scawsby.
The parish borders other parishes, among them Warmsworth, Balby, Brodsworth and Marr.William Battie-Wrightson
William Battie-Wrightson (6 October 1789 – 10 February 1879) was a British landowner and Whig politician.
He was the elder son of William Wrightson of Cusworth Hall, near Doncaster, MP for Aylesbury. Battie-Wrightson was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (1812), and trained for the law at Lincoln's Inn, being called to the bar in 1815. He succeeded his father to the Cusworth estate in 1827.
He was elected MP for East Retford in 1826 and then sat for Hull from 1830 to 1832 and for Northallerton from 1835 to 1865.
He married Georgiana, the daughter of Inigo Freeman Thomas of Ratton Park, Sussex.William Wrightson
William Wrightson (20 May 1752 – 25 December 1827), of Cusworth, Yorkshire, was a British landowner and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1784 to 1790.
Wrightson was the son of John Battie originally of Sprotborough, Yorkshire and his wife Isabella Wrightson, daughter of William Wrightson of Cusworth Hall. Battie took name of Wrightson in 1766 on inheriting Cusworth Hall). Wrightson was educated at Christ Church, Oxford and Lincoln's Inn and succeeded his father to the Cusworth estate in 1785.
Wrightson was elected MP for Aylesbury at the 1784 British general election, sitting until 1790. He was appointed High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 1819–20.
Wrightson died on Christmas Day, 1827. He had married twice: firstly Barbara, the daughter of James Bland of Hurworth, County Durham and secondly Henrietta, the daughter and coheiress of Richard Heber of Marton Hall, Yorkshire. His eldest son by his second wife was William Battie-Wrightson, at various times MP for East Retford, Hull and Northallerton.William Wrightson (MP)
William Wrightson (29 December 1676 – 1760), of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was a British landowner, official and Tory politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1710 and 1724.
Wrightson was the second son of Robert Wrightson of Cusworth, Yorkshire and his third wife Sarah Beaument, daughter of Sir Thomas Beaumont of Whitley Beaumont, Yorkshire. His early life is obscure but in the early 1700s, he was appointed to Clerk at the Pipe Office, a minor government place worth only £10 a year. His prospects improved when he married Isabel Matthews widow of Thomas Matthews of Newcastle and daughter of Francis Beaumont, merchant, of Newcastle on 2 February 1699. She was the heiress of a significant estate in Newcastle.
Wrightson was returned as Tory Member of Parliament for Newcastle-upon-Tyne with Sir William Blackett, Bt at the 1710 British general election when they their wore hats emblazoned with the legend ‘for the Queen and Church’. He was interested in local affairs and on 20 February 1711 was nominated to draft a bill for the navigation of the Tyne. He was returned unopposed at the 1713 British general election.Wrightson was returned at the 1715 British general election and voted against the Administration in every recorded division after George I’s accession.. His first wife died in 1716 and in 1722 he married as his second wife Isabella Fenwick, daughter of William Fenwick of Bywell, Northumberland. At the 1722, he was defeated at Newcastle. His wife had considerable estates in Northumberland and he was returned as MP for Northumberland at a by-election on 20 February 1723. However, he was unseated on petition on 15 April 1724. He did not stand for Parliament again.
Wrightson succeeded his brother to Cusworth in 1724. He commissioned Cusworth Hall built by George Platt between 1740 and 1745 to replace a previous house. The house was further altered between 1749 and 1753 by James Paine. Wrightson died on 4 December 1760, aged 84. A son and a daughter predeceased him and he left one surviving daughter, Isabella, who succeeded to Cusworth Hall. She married John Battie, who took the additional name of Wrightson in 1766 and was the mother of another MP William Wrightson..